• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why is the Skullheart Sexist?

You're treading on thin ice.
more than a lot of the other posts on here? :/ he did also give an out of universe theory that works. as much as I don't like one gender being better than the other it doesn't seem as bad as other theories. plus, we do have the universe set in a different era of time that's slightly more noir-esque so the mentality of gender could also be a factor towards that.

More than a lot of the other posts on here? :/
Only Chaos and DeathArcana said anything actually sexist. Although Arcana may have been thinking about Madoka Magica when he replied.

Out-of-Universe Reason: Likely more of Skullgirls' convention-shattering. Normally, it's always the guy who gets the magical artifact and enters a super-powerful form; the Skull Heart may have been designed to act as a counterbalance to that.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirl

In-Universe Reason: It's basically canon that people with weaker wills would be desirable for Skullgirl material, since they would snap and start going on maniacal rampages sooner rather than later. Call me sexist, too, but perhaps all the would-be male candidates are of stronger will, making any female candidates preferable by default.
What the fuck? Here, let me count the skullgirl candidates with strong willpower: Parasoul, Peacock, Cerebella, Painwheel, Squigly, Valentine, kind of Filia... so that leaves, what, ms.fortune? Who is only weak willed because her entire family died recently?
Plus, why would they target women specifically? Because they tend to be weaker willed? Like I said, it can't be some vaguely beneficial personality difference that makes it so they exclusively go after women, it has to be something women always have and men never have- something that would make them ignore men entirely. If this were true they would seek weak-willed people, not women of any sort.

like I said, I wouldn't hold it against them if it was a common mentality thing. regardless of gender equality there are certain things either gender will react to differently because they are that gender. things like childbirth for example will have different viewpoints based on either gender. my guess is it's something pertaining to that.

a difference between genders, but in a sense of the mentality.

Actually Cerebella and Valentine are very weak people, Filia isn't that strong either but I don't know much about her.

Sano you should watch what you say.

Actually Cerebella and Valentine are very weak people, Filia isn't that strong either.
Cerebella seems to be very strong willed in defending the medicis, even if she allows them to dictate her life. That one's kind of arguable.
Valentine continued to be dedicated to her research even after all her friends and co-workers died right in front of her- dedicated enough to become the skullgirl just for the sake of learning more about skullgirls. She's incredibly strong in my book. She would probably be ms.fortune's foil if they had more significant interactions than "I'm going to dissect you" "No please do not dissect me."
Filia isn't particularly strong, but she is determined enough to get her memory back and eventually save Carol that she's willing to take the burden of the skullheart to achieve it, which is a pretty strong-willed thing to do that most people would be too afraid to attempt.

I would consider Val to be very strong willed though. even to the point of staying true to her goal even at the cost of the skullheart becoming part of her.

and I really don't see it as offensive. its not like I said "guys like sports and girls don't". there are certain mental synapses that pertain to one gender but can have a completely different. this also can pertain to biology in some cases. both genders produce testosterone and estrogen, but each gender has a different proportion produced compared to the other's.

now that I think about it, it could be a chemical reaction thing too.

I have very high standards for strength of will.

I stand by my views.

The title is kind of misleading but I think it's better that way.
Lol, I went into this thread expecting you to say that these forums are too sexist. So yeah, pretty misleading to me.

I have very high standards for strength of will.

I stand by my views.
:PUN: if they aren't kamina or have rainbows flying around, they aren't strong willed at all.
Kappa

I have very high standards for Strength of Will.

I stand by my views.
Really? Because I would actually put Valentine towards the top of the willpower tiers. The only one that really beats her in my book is peacock, both because she kind of created life through sheer willpower, and at the end of her story she's just like "I want to kill the medicis now" and just gets shit done.

and I really don't see it as offensive. its not like I said "guys like sports and girls don't". there are certain mental synapses that pertain to one gender but can have a completely different. this also can pertain to biology in some cases. both genders produce testosterone and estrogen, but each gender has a different proportion produced compared to the other's.
Biological differences only go so far. A woman can have incredibly masculine thought and a man can have incredibly feminine thought. They only make men tend to be more masculine and women tend to be more feminine, and even then there's a massive nature vs. nurture argument about it (just like literally everything in biology.) Personally I believe that most mental differences between men and women are created from nurture.

Really? Because I would actually put Valentine towards the top of the willpower tiers.
I wouldn't, in fact I find your tiers to be badly organized, but I'm not going to discuss this with you.

Carry on with the topic at hand please.

Reactions: LKArtillery
There's a lot of bunk "canon" being thrown around in this thread. :\ In the lore interview, Alex said it only being able to grant wishes to women was due to the "circumstances under which it was created".

Since it's clearly got a connection to the Trinity, I'd simply say only women can use it because it was created by female gods. It's not making a conscious decision to deny men a wish; it simply can't grant wishes to men. I'm sure it'd love to be able to since that would just mean it gets a wider pool of candidates to choose from in order to cause further destruction, but it's just wholly incapable of doing so.

Incidentally, though, an interesting tidbit is that in very, very early drafts of Skullgirls' story (we're talking like, circa 2006 here), men were actually able to make wishes on the Skull Heart. Rather than them becoming a "Skullboy", however, nothing would happen to them: the nearest female to them would become the Skullgirl instead.

Marie's backstory used to be that she worked as a maid for a kindly old man, but died when his house got hit with a bomb while he was away on business. This man found the Skull Heart and tried to wish her back to life, but she was resurrected as the Skullgirl instead. Quite a difference from the plotline of today, eh?

Just saying, if someone of the same sex asked for certain things, like *ahemp* sex, I wouldn't genie to them either.I'm not homophobic, but also not bisexual.

As I said in my original theory, I think the Skullheart is some kind of deity reproduction method. Then I noticed this art by alex in another thread:
She sure looks like she's becoming the core of another incomplete but much larger being, doesn't it?

or maybe I was just playing Mass Effect 2 . . .

Is this an old sketch from Marie or is it recent?
Anyways, looks pretty cool. I'd be sad if this was the previous Marie model, because it looks way more cool and clean.
Also, in her actual form she looks more "completed". In this form she looks weaker/less protected by the skulls.

The way I see it, the skullheart is similar in nature to the Witchblade (from the comic/anime of the same). While the gender of the skullheart is unknown and may not even be defined, I view it as a male entity. Similar to the Witchblade, which is also male, it seeks to completing itself via a female vessel. The whole Faustian contract seems to be something added on by the goddess of the trinity in order to instigate the descent of the female vessel into the skullgirl. And it seems like the skullheart gains power for each host it maintains [citation needed] so it is also likely that it is some form of battery that the trinity are working towards charging up. To what end, I don't know.

So as for why it only accepts female vessels. Opposite magnetic fields attract each other, and like fields repel one another. Assuming that the Skullheart is a masculine entity, the skullgirls is the result of the 'marriage' between itself and the host.

Is this an old sketch from Marie or is it recent?
Anyways, looks pretty cool. I'd be sad if this was the previous Marie model, because it looks way more cool and clean.
Also, in her actual form she looks more "completed". In this form she looks weaker/less protected by the skulls.

That's fairly recent Marie art; it was first posted around the time the indiegogo voting was going on, at least, and it matches Alex's current art style.

The way I see it, the skullheart is similar in nature to the Witchblade (from the comic/anime of the same). While the gender of the skullheart is unknown and may not even be defined, I view it as a male entity. Similar to the Witchblade, which is also male, it seeks to completing itself via a female vessel. The whole Faustian contract seems to be something added on by the goddess of the trinity in order to instigate the descent of the female vessel into the skullgirl. And it seems like the skullheart gains power for each host it maintains [citation needed] so it is also likely that it is some form of battery that the trinity are working towards charging up. To what end, I don't know.

So as for why it only accepts female vessels. Opposite magnetic fields attract each other, and like fields repel one another. Assuming that the Skullheart is a masculine entity, the skullgirls is the result of the 'marriage' between itself and the host.

An interesting theory, but personally, I don't see the Skull Heart as a male entity. Mostly this is due to the sheer amount of female ties it has. The Trinity, the Skullgirls, even the feminine "shadow" projected from the Heart in battle.

Also I know I've said that one should take the ending theme with a grain of salt before, but it's still worth noting that In A Moment's Time is performed by a female singer and the lyrics are from the perspective of the Skull Heart. Hmm.

Besides, making it a "male" object looking to "complete itself" via joining with a female strikes me as a pretty plain metaphor for pregnancy and/or birth, but the Skull Heart is associated with death. The themes don't particularly match up.

Reactions: Denizen
The Skullheart is simply a sleazy bastard. Maybe it is just physically and uncontrollably attracted to women, the same way Valentine and Parasoul are physically and uncontrollably attracted to each other.

The Skullheart is simply a sleazy bastard. Maybe it is just physically and uncontrollably attracted to women, the same way Valentine and Parasoul are physically and uncontrollably attracted to each other.

You can cut that shipping crap right there because nobody cares

Well, since it likes some chaos and destruction, why not making the rift between genders larger by giving means to only one of them having the means to a wish and spawning a monster from said wisher.

Any person actively looking for the heart is worth of suspicion, girls are specially worth of suspicion because since they have been selected things can go to hell in an instant.

And that would result in very concerned looks to any girl talking about wishes.

I find this topic troubling, questionable and unnecessary in my own opinion. Why question how the universe works?

One answer: Because that is how everything works.
I was going to say something until I read your name. Master post my good body challenged friend.

I find this topic troubling, questionable and unnecessary in my own opinion. Why question how the universe works?

One answer: Because that is how everything works.

So basically, what you're saying is that you don't deny these allegations of sexism.

I'm on to you.

The skull heart clearly appreciates a fine booty, stonk titties, legs up to here, and hips wide enough to get stuck in the doorway
the only dudes we got are Big Brick and Barawolf no wonder it doesn't any dudes wishing on it