• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Pokemon

Read up on Smogon. Go through the site (Namely the Pokemon and Tier section) and read up on a few pokemon and their strategies. First thing to know though is the type chart and which pokemon are good against most others. But here's a few general rules of thumb:

Scizor's awesome in every way
Poison type sucks (unless on Gengar)
Forretress is amazing defensively
Blissey pretty much absorbs special attacks
Heavy hitters do better with Choice Items
Garchomp is fucking broken
Put Leftovers on everything
Stealth Rock is your friend
Sleep really pisses people off

And those are just a few suggestions for being even slightly better.

Alright will look at the guide and thanks for the tips.

Why is Garchomp broken??

Alright will look at the guide and thanks for the tips.

Why is Garchomp broken??

Because Choice Scarf Outrage decimates everything without giving them time to do anything. Of course you'd have to switch him out after you've taken out half of the other team, but then you could switch in again and take out the other half.

Or go the Sandstorm Excadrill method and just move faster than any other pokemon and if you manage to set up a Swords dance, you can use a type ineffective move on anything and they're dead. And you're not limited to a single move and can just keep going till you win. It's messed up...

Are there a lot of Garchomp online?

Tell you what, there's gonna be a lot of Iron Tail packing Dragon types in the 6th Gen online I bet.

And Fennekin everywhere.

...Including mine.

But uhm let's say I wanna know how can I make my team stronger...

The history goes like this a group of my friends buyed the 3DS to play this between each other (we often play fighting games but looks like Pokemon is next)

I know I'm gonna lose regularly but is there like.. a good guide to start?

This site should help you, it's become a sort of bible for me.
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

One of the things that'll help is understanding your Pokemon's stats and the attacks it can learn. In Generation III (RSE/FrLg), types were categorized as either Special or Physical. For example, all Fire-type attacks were Special, and were affected by your Special Attack and the opponent's Special Defense. In Generation IV and up, the attacks themselves were given either the Physical property, or Special one. Flamethrower is a Special Fire attack, and Fire Fang is a Physical Fire attack (in Gen III, Fire Fang was Special, because it was Fire-type). Attacks that don't do direct damage (Growl, Sand-Attack) are Neutral/Other.

If your Pokemon has a higher Attack stat than it's Special Attack stat, try to teach it Physical attacks (and most importantly, attacks that are the same type as itself, you get a damage bonus this way).

This brings us to a more hardcore training subject, EV (Effort Value) Training:
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

It basically comes down to utlilzing your Pokemon's best stats. There's more to it than that, but it's a good place to start. Reading up on Smogon and seeing how battling online works will probably help you understand the more strategic side to battling.

I agree with Red Frost on using Serebii as a good source for the CORE aspects of pokemon (Moves, stats, types, leveling information, EVs, IVs, etc) while smogon should be used for more advanced stuff (What do do with moves, which attacks are best together, putting together a team, which EVs are good for which pokemon, etc).

Also, you always want a pokemon with the BoltBeam combo on your team. Just because it's awesome.

I also recommend PokemonDataBase as well as there are strategies on there as well.
Also for being a big cheat I am there is also Pokedit (though I'm not sure if it'll work with X and Y)

Damn this game is scary online. :( Probably will never go there after what I heard here. :P
You and me both... I hope you can do something like private lobbies for n00bs

Damn this game is scary online. :( Probably will never go there after what I heard here. :P

This is pretty much me when I plan to go online:

>knows Stealth Rock is prominent
>will probably rush in with a mostly Fire type team like a brave and heroic dumbass

I battle, like Crasher Wake, to say I had fun! Kinda weird for me to do that, since he is a Water type Gym Leader, but I respect that jolly man's philosophies.

I, personally stay out of the competitive scene because I know where I fit in the great big circle of competitive pokemon. I am officially the best of the worst and the worst of the best. No really I've entered tournaments and destroyed the amateur level group but lost to everyone in the pro level group.

I guess that's what I get for using Butterfree so happily :D

My other problem would be that I get VERY sentimental with my pokemon and would never pick my team based on tiers and synergy so I would probably have a poor team and get whacked all the time. :P But I'd rather die than not have a Nidoking in my team... and Sandslash.

I mean COME ON! I have Valentine as ANCHOR on my 2 person team only because I like Fortune more...

My other problem would be that I get VERY sentimental with my pokemon and would never pick my team based on tiers and synergy so I would probably have a poor team and get whacked all the time. :P But I'd rather die than not have a Nidoking in my team... and Sandslash.

I mean COME ON! I have Valentine as ANCHOR on my 2 person team only because I like Fortune more...

I am exactly the same way :D Only I have a surprisingly wider range of favourite pokemon that form awesome synergy together. Like Scizor, Mienshao, Togekiss and Gengar. Together they kick ass!

Togekiss

Sweet.

275432_Papel-de-Parede-Togekiss-Pokemon-Arte-Alternativa_1920x1200.jpg

(Psst, just want to mention Togekiss is gonna be Fairy/Flying making it easily one of my favourite pokemon ever... Just want to throw that out there...)

EDIT: Togekiss appeared in Gen 4

Oh my, what generation did Togekiss appear? All I god in Crystal was Togetic. :P

4th. The worst generation ever (least amount of Fire Types introduced, grrrrr).

Okay, fine, I guess it was alright. I guess.

Edit: Oh, good Lord, TWO ninjas.

One thing that keeps me back from playing new pokemon is that there is SO FRIGGIN MANY new pokemon for me to learn. ;_; I didn't even see all of the 2nd generation ones.

4th. The worst generation ever (least amount of Fire Types introduced, grrrrr).

Okay, fine, I guess it was alright. I guess.

Edit: Oh, good Lord, TWO ninjas.
I was the worst imo, too. It was great character wise (the gym leaders where more rememberable than the other all the other ones imo). Also the whole God pokemons weren't that interesting (though I did like the knowledge willpower and emotion pokemon)

Duosion + Eviolite = Win.

He's my favorite from gen 5 and one the few gems in gen 5

This is pretty much me when I plan to go online:

>knows Stealth Rock is prominent
>will probably rush in with a mostly Fire type team like a brave and heroic dumbass

This is my plan, but with a team of Bug Pokemon because I love those little guys so much. I'm too wuss to play anything that has online, but I'll work up the nerve and some skill one of these days.
I'll just need my teddy bear for moral support.
(this applies to Skullgirls too because like I said, I too wuss)

I'd prefer making a decent team out of the ones I like rather than just picking the Ubers and OUs just because they're good.
Also, Nidoking got a neat DW ability with Sheer Force, and Sandslash with Sand Rush. I love the Nidoran and Sandshrew line, so there's an EV-trained Sandslash and Nidoqueen sitting in my box right now.

I take offense to all this Gen IV bashing. Gen IV brought us Shirona/Cynthia. THAT'S ALL IT NEEDS TO BE GREAT.

I'm more eager than ever to make a Fairy team and then outfit it with psychic and fire types to prevent a takeover by fairy's weaknesses. I'm so excited! :D

I'll stick with my water team, but I might change my Xatu with a Fairy type though (as long as it can learn a grass and or fire type move)

Same mindset here: i play with my favorites, i lose with my favorites. (Thank god i don't like Dan in SF)

Scizor, Sandlash, fire starter (normally typhlosion), the other 3 are based on HM needs or the cool ones i find playing.

Same mindset here: i play with my favorites, i lose with my favorites. (Thank god i don't like Dan in SF)

Scizor, Sandlash, fire starter (normally typhlosion), the other 3 are based on HM needs or the cool ones i find playing.

fire starter

(normally typhlosion)

>You have established the DukeMagus Social Link of the Sun Arcana!

Yes, Typhlosion is also my favourite starter so far. Other pokemon are decided on what cool ones I find first (Like Victribel and Kingler in Crystal) or HM (I have REALLY hard time finding something more apropriate than Pidgeot for Fly... and I don't like him that much).

Yes, Typhlosion is also my favourite starter so far. Other pokemon are decided on what cool ones I find first (Like Victribel and Kingler in Crystal) or HM (I have REALLY hard time finding something more apropriate than Pidgeot for Fly... and I don't like him that much).

But you haven't even SEEN the final evo ofsakjdbfjwbfksdhgvusddsnfios

I'm thinking of switching my starter because of this glorious design...

I love Pokemon even though I suck at it.
A My friend (who has never beaten a Pokemon game) and I are getting X and Y are going to immediately Nuzlocke challenge the game.
Sadly one of the rules that we made up is that we can no longer look up Pokemon news until the game is out.
I am very hyper for Sylveon, I have always had at least one Eeveelution in my party and now I am glad that I can have a new one.

Pokemon masters! I ask for your advice.

What does "Drought" exactly do? In Pokemon X I'm planning on getting a Charmander again :) but he gains that special ability on his mega evolution which I don't see it being benefitial with the others abilities that Venasaur or Blastoise gains.

Also what starter are you planning to get with X and Y? Just curious........

Also breeding is hard, I mean I read a lot and did my own plan but it's truly for the hardcore of the game.

What does "Drought" exactly do? In Pokemon X I'm planning on getting a Charmander again :) but he gains that special ability on his mega evolution which I don't see it being benefitial with the others abilities that Venasaur or Blastoise gains.

Also breeding is hard, I mean I read a lot and did my own plan but it's truly for the hardcore of the game.
Drought causes the weather to be sunny, powering up fire move weakening water moves, and makes solarbeam attack instantly rather than 2 moves.
Froakie/Charmander
Kinda It takes a long time to do to get it where you want it (why I skip it entirely with pokedit)

Doublade!

I think it looks pretty cool. It's going on my team unless something even more awesome shows up.

Hopefully they invent a Steel-type slashing attack (with increased Crit ratio like Slash). I mean, we're about due for one, aren't we? (especially if you look at Bisharp/Pawniard).

Drought throws up a Sunny Day once that Pokemon enters battle, but it's better in that it lasts the entire duration of the battle instead of 5-turns like weather normally does. It can be cancelled out by another Weather-related ability/move, though, so it's not permanent.

Breeding takes some practice but as the generations went on, the process was made easier if you were looking for a specific nature, ability, and attacks. As for IVs and that stuff, I don't bother because it's too difficult for me. This article might be more helpful than the Serebii one:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

As for Starters, I was gunning for Fennekin, but Froakie is looking more and more interesting.

People already answered your question, but abilities like Drought and Drizzle(rain version) are high tier worthy. Some pokemon are only really useful for bringing weather into effect in that way. Like, Drizzle and Swift Swim is freaking banned entirely because it's just too good.

And I'm going Chespin and Squirtle like a REBEL. Love those hard shelled pokemon.

So Pokemon masters, question about X&Y how are we gonna be able to get Torchic? I know Nintendo is going to give away that Pokemon.

IS it USA only? because if that is the case I'm screwed.

Back