• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

RWBY

Monty was a huge inspiration for me as well as a lot of other people and my condolence go out to his friends and family. I'm really sad to hear this news and the world has lost a great man, caring person and an extremely talented guy. RIP Monty Oum
1978634_10152985112741648_2557689973536528532_n.jpg

Last edited:
"As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to." From the Rooster Teeth website

I never really followed Monty or his work, and only just watched RWBY for the first time yesterday. (I was too critical of it, but I think I'll give it a second shot.) However, I feel that the above is a very important sentiment, and something we should all try to remember. I myself am planning to try and film a short film in the coming months, so I can understand how hard it is to be creative and to put in the effort to do something with your creativity.

Reactions: Zombies8MyLeg
I guess I have one up on you peeps. I got to meet Monty in person twice at Project A-kon 22 and Project A-kon 24 at his panel and RWBY Yellow Trailer Debut Panel respectively (he was at A-kon 25 but did not have a panel last year...never will again now.)

Though he comes across as extremely animated, the laidback humble came out more when I saw him in person. I have several pictures and even sme video footage from the A-kon 22 Panel he held. Room was so crowded that they on the pot booked the panel to repeat at 11 that night and that one was packed as well, to the point that they had to close it to any one else wanting to get in again.

RWBY is in good hands. Monty Miles and Kerry had everything major plot wise planed out fr a good time down the road. it was the fine details they would always rearrange up to the last minute.

I came home from work and 20 min later found the death notice, 3 hours after it had been posted. I held it together until I came to the formal video notice from the RT news segment The Know. Meg barely holding it in caused me to lose it. I've started crying several times since then reading the various fanfic tributes, watching the Memorial Podcast they was streamed by RT and while writing my own small tribute fic.

The world lost a badass today, and now I can only wonder how dynamic and awesome a RWBY Video game made by Mike Z as Monty Wanted would have been.

I wanted to goto RTX last year but didn't have the time or money to do so... I wanted to thank him in person for showing me that 3D animation can be cool... and he made it cool before Hollywood did. I trained myself in animation so I could get to his level someday, but he kept getting better and better.

I guess it's my turn to start showing him I can actually do it!

edit: saw this on imgur:
MOz7YRZ.jpg

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
being a big follower of gamegrumps just made those all the harder to read

also in case you missed the stream like me I found it here

Last edited:
Reactions: CountofBleck
Yeah gonna marathon his stuff next time I get the chance.

Just finished marathoning RWBY (it had been on my plan to watch list fora while being an old school Red vs Blue fan but in light of recent events i decided to move it up to top) and it was quite a ride. The production quality was a little rough at first but as it went on it got much better, and I'd venture to say it was quite excellent during the entire second season. I was also particularly impressed by the dialogue and voice acting. They managed to fit so much characterization (for the main characters at least) in such a small amount of time.

Also, team based RWBY fighting game using the Mike Z engine please? With all the combination attacks in the show, just imagining making a team based fighter with crazy combination attacks for supers or whatever excites me beyond comprehension.

Also, team based RWBY fighting game using the Mike Z engine please? With all the combination attacks in the show, just imagining making a team based fighter with crazy combination attacks for supers or whatever excites me beyond comprehension.
Monty actually messaged Mike at one point asking about that very thing. Mike turned him down though.

I'm wondering where they are going to go with RWBY, though more like how they are going to do Ren... Ren was Monty's char... He was the VA.

Monty actually messaged Mike at one point asking about that very thing. Mike turned him down though.

I'm wondering where they are going to go with RWBY, though more like how they are going to do Ren... Ren was Monty's char... He was the VA.
That's a little disappointing but understandable; I can't blame Mike for wanting to focus his time on Skullgirls (and am quite thankful he does!)

I'm sure the team will find a work around (probably just getting a new VA). I think the team will do whatever they can to finish RWBY, with how hard Monty worked and his dedication to cool stuff i think that's what he would have wanted.

reminds me, I hope the fella that was working on the game is able to keep it up now. I'm sure he can, just... damn...

He will. That game WILL be finished come hell or high water. As for Marathons, I still have all Dead Fantasy to get through, including the part he showed at A-kon 22.

Also, if you did not know, His Youtube Page Still Exists. Bask in the glory of Monty Dancing, and having the Dead Fantasy Girls Dance. Yes, that is Monty dancing all 9 individual parts for Gee by Girls Generation in it.

FInally RLR Part 2 was hard to hear the Tuesday after the Annoucement....I heard it as part of a Tribute of RWBY Songs to monty on an internet station...however the final song chosen is what finally had be break down, curl up in a ball and start bawling:

I have the soundtrack and yea that song is definitely sad even before, now, it's just ultra depressing.

Wings, properly understood, is telling you to cry no more. That though you have lost someone, there are those who will help you through the pain of the loss and continue on.

That's what we are all doing in here, we are helping each other to Keep On Moving

EDIT: no one has posted since me,and I'm not wanting to Double Post but Screw Attack's latest Death Battle has been dedicated to Monty, and RWBY is outright involved.

Timejump to the Final Portion of the dedication after the battle, with scenes from Red Vs. Blue, Monty original dances, Dead Fantasy and most importantly....RWBY.

Last edited:
*tips fedora in respect* Rest In Peace Monty Oum, may you never be forgotten

Pretty sure Monty would have wanted RWBY to live on even if unfortunately he couldn't be their too. I know he voiced at least one of the characters too so interested to see how they handle that. Won't be the same without him though.

I'm also wondering how they're gonna handle Ren. Qrow was also going to be voiced by Monty, but he never spoke on screen, so a new voice actor for him would be trivial at this point. Ren will be more complicated because he's spoken a couple of times. I think that they'll either get a new voice actor for him or keep him silent somehow.

I feel like if they kept Ren silent, Monty would probably start haunting them.
Maybe keep him quiet until they can get a new voice for him, but don't silence him for the rest of the show.

He shouldn't be silenced if any of his future dialogue is relatively important. Silence would still be better though then killing him off if the plot never called for it originally.

A new voice actor for Uncle Iroh was tagged in when Mako Iwamatsu passed away, and I thought it worked out fine. No reason it can't work here.

A new voice actor for Uncle Iroh was tagged in when Mako Iwamatsu passed away, and I thought it worked out fine. No reason it can't work here.
I agree.

My money they have already.

All aboard the hype train. Now I am just hoping for mods and TF2 promo items if it gets released on steam

I personally had no doubt that RWBY would be continuing. Replacing Lie Ren will be interesting as you need to find someone who was as quiet sounding.

At least they are not replacing the Voice of Ozpin, whom Monty was going to voice originally.

Finally, go check out the behind the scenes for Vs. Episode 96, the chair race between Ray and Gavin. A certain Man in a Mocap suit wielding Dual Katanas is visible watching the mayhem from the race through the Office.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a new Ren voice. Ren didn't talk much to begin with and it's a pretty easy volume and tone to match (even I could possibly "mock" it). Too bad Monty's not going to be here... But hey.. His dream's going to continue and that's som'in he said. Leave som'in that will continue without you (or som'in like that)

Reactions: Jutsei
rwby-japanese.jpg

Japanese VA list for RWBY was recently announced for the first 'American-made anime' being marketed for JPN.

Ruby Rose - Saori Hayami [The Irregualr at Magic High School's Miyuki Shiba]
Weiss Schnee - Yoko Hikasa [Is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?'s Freya]
Blake Belladonna - Yu Shimamura [Attack on Titan's Annie]
Yang Xiao Long - Ami Koshimizu [Kill La Kill's Ryuko Matoi]
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/rwby-japanese-dub-cast-revealed-and-its-impressive-list-video-448438

That is a nice lineup didn't think they would use higher profile VA for this. Shame Monty can't witness this. Now RWBY will join the other anime with their dub vs original audio arguments, but now it's more complicated since the English is the original audio this time.

Also something big will be announced for RWBY on the 12th according to their twitter account.

All of those voice actresses are very talented and I see them all being fantastic fits for the characters!

Thanks for sharing! Personally I thought Ruby was going to be featurung is BlazBlue lol XD Shared this info with all my friends. ^_^

So at tbe RWBY rtx panel. Small update:

Production delayed to late fall for ep. 1
Blake seems to have a more comedic role. Just a bit.
Introduced Weiss' sister Winter and Uncle Crow.
Tounament finally starting against a new team, ABRN.