• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, and all that good stuff)

There are no new things under the sun anyway.

Also the first SMT games predate Pokemon iirc.

The first Megami Tensei game predated Pokemon at the very least. Not sure if Shin Megami Tensei came before then, but yeah.

I wouldn't exactly compare the two though, not out of elitism, but out of the fact that the thought process encourages bad habits for newbies like holding onto demons far longer than they should and never using buffs/debuffs until the end game or so.

It's not Sega buying Atlus that worries me, it's the fact that they want Atlus to make IOS games.

They've been doing that stuff already under Index. None of it gets any attention in the west and that probably won't change any time soon since MegaTen is still a cult classic franchise.

It's not Sega buying Atlus that worries me, it's the fact that they want Atlus to make IOS games.
at no point have they said "make your SMT series all IOS from now on.

for all we know, Sega could just give them money, and Atlus could still be allowed to make the SMT games. All Sega should tell Atlus is "keep doing what you do." and it will be good.

Also, Atlus USA still seems to be running. As they're the ones who do the localization stuff, I think that Atlus will be fine for now.

Kinda wonder what kind of SMT skills a Pikachu would have, though. :)

So I bought SMTIV and then because of FE (Curse you Awakening!) I dropped it, good thing I'm in the beginning kinda... I'm on the first demon realm which I've been using for grinding and training demons.

So any tips? So far I'm loving the pace, music and high risk an rewards.

Also Macca is difficult to get not like.. in Persona 3 which I got tons of money by half of the game if I remember correctly...

Or is it just me being paranoid and because it's just the beggining?

Thanks

So I bought SMTIV and then because of FE (Curse you Awakening!) I dropped it, good thing I'm in the beginning kinda... I'm on the first demon realm which I've been using for grinding and training demons.

So any tips? So far I'm loving the pace, music and high risk an rewards.

Also Macca is difficult to get not like.. in Persona 3 which I got tons of money by half of the game if I remember correctly...

Or is it just me being paranoid and because it's just the beggining?

Thanks

A few ways to get Macca:
1) Collect relics and bring them back to shops to sell
2) Get the app that lets you ask demons for money
3) Do challenge quests
4) Get the "grinding" DLC

There are a couple other ways, but the above methods are pretty much your best bet in getting Macca. It's not like in other games where you can kill enemies and get money :/ Though once you progress into the game a bit more money is a little easier to get.

The game as a whole gets a little easier once you get out of Naraku.

A few ways to get Macca:
1) Collect relics and bring them back to shops to sell
2) Get the app that lets you ask demons for money
3) Do challenge quests
4) Get the "grinding" DLC

There are a couple other ways, but the above methods are pretty much your best bet in getting Macca. It's not like in other games where you can kill enemies and get money :/ Though once you progress into the game a bit more money is a little easier to get.

The game as a whole gets a little easier once you get out of Naraku.

Thanks for the tips!

Any other advise? Like what demons to get? Apps? I'm trying to save to the get MP while walking app is it worth it?

Also what are the grinding DLC's? What DLC's should I get for this game? Do they explain some part of the history too?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips!

Any other advise? Like what demons to get? Apps? I'm trying to save to the get MP while walking app is it worth it?

Also what are the grinding DLC's? What DLC's should I get for this game? Do they explain some part of the history too?

Thanks!

I would get the demon Gremlin, who you can find in a lower level of Naraku after beating the first boss or you can try to fuse it if possible. After leveling up a few times, it will evolve into a Raiju, which is perfect for taking on the second boss since it Nulls some of its attacks and will make the boss lose turns.

The MP one while walking is definitely worth it and you can later get an app that extends it to the rest of the demons you've summoned, though it may be awhile before you get that particular app. There's another app that lets "skills mutate" (can't remember name) but basically it means that your demons will have a higher chance of being able to change a random skill into another one upon leveling up. Definitely worth it as you can possibly get good moves you wouldn't see for awhile.

As for the DLC's, the grinding ones are just that: you battle enemies to get items that will give you more money, experience, etc. It's not needed but it can ease a player's suffering. There is also some endgame DLC where you can fight extremly tough bosses. You get some extra story - though not a whole lot from what I've heard - and if you beat the boss, you can fuse them. They also have good skills, some of which you need to beat the other DLC bosses.

Reactions: Anbec7
So I started playing Burn My Dread Last Battle Reincarnation in 3 separate tabs and...

It was the most glorious experience.

New P3M video incoming!

I honestly don't care at this point unless they change the ending or it's the FeMc's turn to shine.

I already know how this story ends.

I also think that P3 in general is too quiet to make an action movie out of.

p4, sure, p2, hell yes, but p1 and p3 not so much.

I kinda don't like the idea of the series being turned into movies/manga/comics anyway, to be honest.

I feel like they're the worst kind of games you could adapt to another medium. They are silent protaganist focused role playing games with an emphasis on interacting and interpreting things for yourself.

I guess it works a little bit better for Persona and Devil Survivor, since they have a more anime aesthetic in the first place. But meh.

Anything Persona related has been transferred in many different forms of mediums for awhile now including a stage show. They won't stop anytime soon since they are making bank from the people who enjoy these other mediums for the sake of keeping the roleplaying aspect "Pure".

Wouldn't be surprised if they move on to Persona 2 next, but then again I wouldn't mind anime Hitler.

Reactions: Jutsei
Yeah, I know. Nocturne had a radio drama and all that.

Still, I find it hard to get excited for. Just the idea of having the games and all their action compressed into your standard narrative strikes me as taking out a lot of the charm.

Yeah, I know. Nocturne had a radio drama and all that.

Still, I find it hard to get excited for. Just the idea of having the games and all their action compressed into your standard narrative strikes me as taking out a lot of the charm.
Just depends on what you're adapting.

A lot of people are forgetting that P3 was a VERY quiet game, (While I love p3p, it's part of the problem)it was subtle and chill, that's why the main theme's color is a chilled blue.

That's why the color palette for the game consisted of very quiet colors.

It's why the MC had a quiet look to him compared to P4's determined and strong, never slouching pose.

It's why for the most part most of SEES keeps to themselves.

Making it into an action movie would be putting the focus on Tartarus, which was never really the focus of P3.

It works with P4 because the different dungeons were the real big point, finding out how the town of Inaba saw the cast and how the cast saw each other and themselves were a draw.

P3's dungeon wasn't about that, and that's why it seems so weird to a lot of people.

Last edited:
The only SMT I've been through was Strange Journey, one of the most difficult 57 hours of RPG I've ever had to contend with. Though having 3 demons to spam Jihad with really helped towards the end. Anyone play through that one?

The only SMT I've been through was Strange Journey, one of the most difficult 57 hours of RPG I've ever had to contend with. Though having 3 demons to spam Jihad with really helped towards the end. Anyone play through that one?
All I know about that one is the Jojo reference with "Bites the Dust"

yea i played through it all i think two times. second one was a NG+ though.

Slight update on the site. If you click the box it will show Teddie with a face. Linging up the three boxes with matching faces will make the boxes shake.

Make of that what you will, but I still want Persona 5 Atlus, don't disappoint me ;_;

Looks like P4A artwork. This might be crazy speculation, due to the latest P4U2 loketest running till the 20th, but maybe the 24th is its release date, with the cities being where true P4U2 cabinets will start appearing.

Also, something's all funked up involving Nanako's VA.

Last edited:
Slight update on the site. If you click the box it will show Teddie with a face. Linging up the three boxes with matching faces will make the boxes shake.

Make of that what you will, but I still want Persona 5 Atlus, don't disappoint me ;_;

Obviously the launch site for the announcement that Teddie is now UMVC3 Vergil tier in P4A.

Replace Vergil with Doom and you'd be a bit more accurate.

I was playing P4A and my friend was playing Wet in the same room. I remarked on how Yosuke and Teddie both have moves that run up their opponents' faces, kinda like their own versions of upward Doom Foot Dives. This song started playing on his TV and we didn't stop laughing for a good 10 minutes. Best timing ever, I tell ya.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
So fun, you won't want to stop. I'm kinda bad with him, but I have such a blast playing with him I barely notice.

#dontfightovermebaby

yukiko is good for zoning. just get good at using her persona attacks.

I mainly play Yu. He's always good for a good ol' slobberknocker.