• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

I'm glad to know that if you double-KO a boss, it'll still give you the win and let you move on.
I killed Aldrich and he killed me with his arrow rain on pretty much the same frame. Yeah, I had to get my souls back, but at least I didn't have to fight him again

So like, I know I said I cleared 3 bosses last night but I still can't believe I didn't mention this
JESUS CHRIST FUCK THE CATACOMBS
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse your ole' pals the Skeletonwheels come back

So like, I know I said I cleared 3 bosses last night but I still can't believe I didn't mention this
JESUS CHRIST FUCK THE CATACOMBS
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse your ole' pals the Skeletonwheels come back
"Hmm... I wonder what's down this hole?"
(Drops down, sees wheel skeletons)
(Pulls out homeward bone)
"Nope."

"Hmm... I wonder what's down this hole?"
(Drops down, sees wheel skeletons)
(Pulls out homeward bone)
"Nope."
I actually screamed
I was being chased and running for my life from the swordsman, turned a corner and RATTLE ME BONES
I believe I yelled "AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO"

Anyone get to Lothric yet? I'm curious if they gave him more health in one of the patches, he's easily my favorite fight in the game but he just goes down so fast.

For most people Lothric will be the last Lord of Cinder fight, so definitely not.

Dang I still got a long way to go, huh?
Games long I like that.

Since this is a Soulsborne thread, felt like I'd ask
Demon's Souls, yes or no? IT's the first Souls game and it's jank but should I play it? Getting a new copy is easier than getting a new Dark Souls (Which is still $30 new on Amazon, $18 used at Gamestop), so I was curious

Dang I still got a long way to go, huh?
You will likely miss entire paths of levels due to how big everything is, I just discovered I'd missed out on most of an entire level last night despite playing through the game multiple times now.

Demon's Souls, yes or no?
Yes. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty rough, being the first game, but it's definitely worth checking out if you like these games and is a lot of fun. Prepare to hate the world tendency system though.

If you like the rest, you'll like it for sure. And it has some unique things going on that are not quite in the rest of the series.

If you're a veteran, you may find it quite a bit easier. I beat it in 14 hours and beat half the bosses on my first try, coming to it after Bloodborne. IT's good fun though.

You will likely miss entire paths of levels due to how big everything is, I just discovered I'd missed out on most of an entire level last night despite playing through the game multiple times now.

Yes. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty rough, being the first game, but it's definitely worth checking out if you like these games and is a lot of fun. Prepare to hate the world tendency system though.
What level, Archdragon Peak? I'm planning to go there

But alright, I'll look into it
After I nab a Dark Souls 1 PS3 copy (Since Demon's Souls is Ps3 only I might as well have the entire Souls thing available to play on Station consoles lmao)
I don't tink those leftover copies are going anywhere

My friend got DS3 and let me borrow it while they finish playing through GTA V, or at least as far as they want to play in it.

I'm so not used to my ridiculous damage and tank setup I had in DS1. I'm getting rekt so hard Q_Q

I got the first boss with like no trouble tbh, but everything after that has just been ripping me to shreds. Might have to pull out a guide, or the closest that exists of such a thing, to make sure I don't royally fuck up all the sidequests LIKE I DO IN EVERY SOULS GAME.

Like seriously, I have not had a playthrough of DS1 or Bloodborne where I haven't done something to screw up some side quest or character. I'm just not good at not hitting ppl. I got an itchy trigger finger lol

What level, Archdragon Peak
Profaned Capital.

Profaned Capital is mandatory, I just missed an entire section of it.

Oh, well then. What section of it is that?
Because I just learned last night you can fucking cut the rickety rope bridge in the catacombs and that leads to another entire section

When you get to the Profaned Capital bonfire just head back down the ladder, it's honestly not hard to find, I don't know why I missed it the couple times.

Reactions: Jutsei
Okay, I've been kinda chill on this game so far, but may I just say

King of the Storm/Nameless Kung might be my favorite fight in this whole fucking franchise Jesus Christ

Just finished Yhorm. Fromsoft, I love you guys, but... what were you THINKING when you designed that fight?! It rivals Bed of Chaos as the most... "why?!" boss I've encountered in the Souls series. Why do you force me to use a weapon I have no interest in using just so I would have to adhere to some contrived strategy, rather than do what you usually do and let me come up with a way of fighting the boss that works best with my build and playstyle?

Okay, about the dancer boss

I was down to a pixel of health, no estus left, but she was low on life too. So what do I do? I throw knives at her until she died. And it worked! Up there with one of the best Souls moments for me! This is what I'm talking about! Let me adapt to a bad situation with a new strategy and clutch it out!

Last edited:
i started a guts mode blind run on DS3 and wanted to get some input on my restrictions while im still fairly early in the game (just defeated the Abyss Watchers):

-Greatswords only. Stomp or stance weapon art required. (Considering making Artorias's Greatsword acceptable)
-Max of eight estus. Free reign on ashen estus supply.
-only throwing knives and fire bomb as subs.
-rings?
-covenants?

The rings and covenants are a big mystery to me as far as player buffs go and im keeping myself as blind as possible for future areas. Currently using the Hallowslayer greatsword, Sun covenant, Flynns Ring, and Estus Ring.

@FastLikeLightning
Really? I thought it was a cool fight but the fact he has like 5 second startup on every attack made him kind of trivial in my mind. Tell me what you think of Lothric, when you get there, he's probably my favorite Dark Souls bossfight.
@erkicman
Guessing you didn't play Demon's Souls.

Guys if you are doing any quests and still aren't in Boreal Valley.
Please, don't do what I did.
Fucking PAY ATTENTION and look up what to do for each one.
I failed THREE. Count them THREE quests in this fucking graveyard of broken dreams.
Get chased by a crocodile and start the dungeons? Say goodbye to both Siegward of Catarina and Greirat.
What's that? You're hanging with Anri? Better hope you went to the corner, randomly hit a Pilgrim disguised as a statue, and then decide to kill her, otherwise, she/he's dead!

This isn't even me bullshitting I'm serious Boreal Valley broke three fucking quests for me and I've been laid low.

]@erkicman
Guessing you didn't play Demon's Souls.
You are correct, I haven't played Demon's Souls.

Guys if you are doing any quests and still aren't in Boreal Valley.
Please, don't do what I did.
Fucking PAY ATTENTION and look up what to do for each one.
I failed THREE. Count them THREE quests in this fucking graveyard of broken dreams.
Get chased by a crocodile and start the dungeons? Say goodbye to both Siegward of Catarina and Greirat.
What's that? You're hanging with Anri? Better hope you went to the corner, randomly hit a Pilgrim disguised as a statue, and then decide to kill her, otherwise, she/he's dead!

This isn't even me bullshitting I'm serious Boreal Valley broke three fucking quests for me and I've been laid low.
Not gonne lie, Greirat's death almost made me weep in real life. Luckily, with his ashes, the merchant lady took over selling his stuff so I didn't lose my source of standard arrows and lightning urns.

"Next playthrough", I promised him.

@FastLikeLightning
Really? I thought it was a cool fight but the fact he has like 5 second startup on every attack made him kind of trivial in my mind. Tell me what you think of Lothric, when you get there, he's probably my favorite Dark Souls bossfight.

I had some trouble with him, but to be fair, I was using an Ultra Greatsword, so I had to be picky with which attacks I punished. I more loved him for the spectacle of everything, though. You walk out onto a floor made out of wind and then you see a guy flying around on a dragon throwing lighting at you, occasionally pulling over to shank your ass. To be fair, the first phase is crazy easy, only times I died to it were when the camera was being a dick. Second phase, I was using an UGS as I said, so my gameplan was to stand away from him and bait him into one of his big thrust attacks. Even though he was really slow, I felt like the fact that he could deal 3/4ths of my life in one hit made up for it. Spectacle was still good too; guy arcs electricity from his foot to kill your ass, and summons lightning bolts from nowhere, pretty sick if you ask me.

His third pillage trip always ends in death. Just remember to keep best thief home and you should be good.

I figured as much.
The offer to pillage immediately reminded me of the old woman in Bloodborne.

Actually, as I understand it... (warning, this one might be massive spoiler)

Letting her die there is necessary to getting an ending in which she is revived. Otherwise, she just goes hollow eventually if you save her.

So far the game doesn't click with me. I'm feeling very neutral about the game. I can tell that level design is very nice, with nice shortcuts and well placed checkpoints. Exploration and beating harder mobs is mostly rewarding. Dodging is very very meaningful and feels good to do. Maybe because it feels easier. I really liked Vordt although he was kind of easy(only struggled with one attack). His second stage was very fun. Fighting feels like MH weapons with a universal dodge and more i frames. Looking forward to getting the Murakumo, but wish there was more twinblades assuming the Ds3wiki has all the twin blade weps listed.

Get chased by a crocodile and start the dungeons? Say goodbye to both Siegward of Catarina
This isn't actually true, I didn't kill the demon with Siegward and I didn't talk to him in the kitchen but I was still able to complete his questline. You can also miss a couple Anri dialogues and (s)he will stay where they are for you to come back or will move ahead and continue the quest.

@FastLikeLightning
Everything you said is why I said he was a cool fight, it's definitely a great spectacle, I just felt he was too easy in general, guess I didn't use an ultra great sword though.

This isn't actually true, I didn't kill the demon with Siegward and I didn't talk to him in the kitchen but I was still able to complete his questline. You can also miss a couple Anri dialogues and (s)he will stay where they are for you to come back or will move ahead and continue the quest.

@FastLikeLightning
Everything you said is why I said he was a cool fight, it's definitely a great spectacle, I just felt he was too easy in general, guess I didn't use an ultra great sword though.
If you go forward into the Dungeon (like any sane person would), it breaks the questline. That's what I did. I didn't think to go back there because I thought Crocodildo would come back for my ass

Even if you DONT light the bonfire, quest is broken.

It's partially broken. If you don't share soup with him, then you won't get the Catarina Set or a second Storm Ruler (Or help with Yohrm, as if he wasn't easy enough), but you'll still get his Titanite Slab.

I got the second Stormruler and slab without sharing soup or killing the demon, but I didn't get his set.

Wooo just beat DSIII, final Playtime at ~39 hours depending on Steam's rounding.
It's like 1 a.m. here, so I should probably sleep, BUT FIRST

@AdenPhoenix you wanted me to give you impressions on the final boss
So you can get an idea where I'm coming from with the Soul of Cinder, here was my equipment
iJvtzeJ.jpg
and my stats
NHLuW98.jpg
that I went into the boss with. SO
The Good: Amazing flavor. Not gonna lie, the first time he used Poison Fog and Power Within while cartwheeling, I came as close to sqwee-ing as I have in years, and the rest of the movesets were no slouch in that department either. Seriously, I wasn't really falling for all the DS1 nostalgia bait in the rest of the game, but by god it got me for this one, possibly because I've played as all the builds he transformed into before. The fight itself was okay, too. The constant switching of the movesets forced me to keep on my toes, which is always good for a boss to do. My big problem with phase one is that it felt more like I was facing a series of difficult normal enemies instead of a final boss, though that might have been the point, idk. Second phase is cool flavor-wise as well, but it's Gwyn. To be fair, he's made significantly more difficult than vanilla Gwyn by the fact that you can't riposte him, but still, there's only so much you can do. It's still Gwyn, and Gwyn is easy to deal with. Still fuckin' dope though. In terms of Souls-Series final bosses he's definitely number one, though it's not a very competitive market with the likes of Queen 'Roll Left' and Cleric Beast 7: This Time it's Personal. Overall Souls bosses, I'd either rate him second, behind Nameless King, or third, behind Nameless King and Ludwig, but it'll fluctuate based exclusively on my mood, really. Those three might not have even been at the top, I'd have to think about it, but for this moment that's my ranking.

Me: About to close shop for the night at the secret area, gets invaded
Sighs and fights, does a decent job but runs out of etsus
Jumps off of cliff to deny invader the satisfaction of a killing blow
Petty as Hell but I was tired and literally about to stop anyway

@AdenPhoenix you wanted me to give you impressions on the final boss

Wait shit no you wanted impressions on the second-to-final boss okay really quick

I thought Lothric and Lorian were kinda lame tbh, fight only took me like 3-4 tries, it was cool lore-wise but pretty easy. Might have to do with the UGS, though; by circling to the right, I was able to hit both at once, so when Lorian died again Lothric was already at ~half health, and he was a couple hits away from being turbo-dead.

so what we thinkin' for the DLC, boys

my wants are

A DLC that lets you fight the Goddesses. like actual Gwynevere, Velka, and Fina.
and also one that wraps up stuff from DaSII like the fragments of Manus and letting you kill the shit out of encounter the Emerald Herald

So like, if you read Aldritch's Soul description
It mentions visions of a deep sea after the fire has faded.
Are we gonna get a Nautical themed Dark Souls in the future, maybe? Deep Souls

Or maybe Damp Souls?

Reactions: Jutsei

I get the feeling you're joking, but just in case it's most likely referring to Dark as an endless ocean rather than a real, actual flood.