• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

STEAMY GOODNESS: talk about games on steam

I ended up buying PixelJunk:Eden, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Ys I & II and Valdis story. I'm also watching a bunch of others for last-day sales, because I only came in about a week ago.

I'm waiting as well, because something good might pop up for $9.41 during that last day sale. [Note: This is my Steam Wallet and Bank checking. Woot woot!]

i thought the sale ends on the 3rd, gee i was expecting more sales

Also probably worth mentioning that the humble store is having a sale that ends the same time as the steam one. If there's something you're waiting for on Steam, it might be there for cheaper.

well, in the end of the sale, i figure i'll skip valdis & papers please and wait for the next sale

i got more than enough games to play including ALL of Ys (Origin, 1,2 and Oath)
I also got Bastion and GMod (because why not?)

I'm glad to see so many people in this thread buying Bastion.
I just finished it last night and I have to say it was one of the best video games I've played in a very long time. Seriously take it from me, all of you who are planning to play the game are in for a very special experience.
Also, seeing Alex Ahad's name in the Special Thanks section of the credits was a pleasant surprise.

are these really the last sales of the sale?

Alright, that's that. No Papers, Please?
Valdis Story & Half Minute Hero were my last purchases of the Steam Winter Sale.
Oh well, maybe next time?
That's what I said when I bought SFxT, then I caved and bought 7 more games. Do you think you can rebel against the great Steam sale, mortal?!

Yes I can, actually.
Because I wanna commission weird shit from my friend
You have more power than I thought... I must observe you in the art of not buying games!

i didnt buy a thing. . .im a horrible human

i just started playing Ys

its so very VERY old school and i love it

also the entire soundtrack seems to be in the files as .ogg. :D

Valdis Story was last minute purchase before it ended lol.

Only thing I regret is not having enough money for Steam Marines, since that looks interesting. I guess it's just as well since I can wait till it's out of open access and see how it is.

In total I bought about 8 games. Got gifted 3 more as well. Gifted 1 game myself during the Autumn sale.

Last edited:
I also ended up buying AoE II: HD as a notalgia trip, and gifted my brother La Mulana because he's an archaeologist 4realz.

In other news, I noticed that there is a sale on here with games for a minimum of 50c each. Considering you could probably make that money back by selling the trading cards for some of those games, they're practically free.

Last edited:
First impression of Risk of Rain:

"Kind of like Binding of Isaac in that it's not too hot as either an action game or a rogue like, but is a bit more interesting and entertaining as a hybrid of these two gameplay styles. Still though, I'd have to recommend Rogue Legacy or Spelunky over this, as they have much more intrinsically satisfying gameplay despite not being as close to "true" roguelikes IMO.

I think it's decent fun, but not quite deserving of a spot in my "real man games for real men" steam library category. That's just a first impression though, will stick with it to see if it gets better."

Here's hoping it turns out to justify the "IT'S MY GAME OF THE YEAR GO BUY IT NOW AND SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS" hype that certain friends gave me about it.

Pretty funny seeing people rage at Long Live the Queen... Also I got the idol ending, it was more difficult than I expected to achieve
2048x1326.resizedimage

2048x1536.resizedimage

well, i worked my way though Ys1&2.

Adol seems to have all the ladies chasing after him.
Both a village girl AND a goddess.

Time for the next game I guess.

I really only have Steam for Skullgirls, but Torchlight II has a free weekend thing going on, so I got it cuz why not. Turns out it's one of those open-world RPGs, which I like. I don't have anything else other than those two games orz

Well having gone though Ys 1 then 2 and then all three paths of Origin (currently i'm now on Oath). its my thinking that Origin is my favorite. Feena is best deity. Yunica is pretty great too.

So of course my heart broke when I read an xseed post on the Ys thread at GAF saying that Japan hates origin simply because it doesn't have Adol.

Also, who wants to bet when the Steam Spring Sale will be?
i'd guess during PaxEast?

I'd say so.
When even is that?
Checking with the main site, it's April 11-13.

I wonder if there will be any Skullgirls presence there.

So, Nidhogg came out, and it looks fun. A music game is also on sale that is a form of Bejeweled, but with your own music. Gave it a shot with "The Lives we Left Behind" and "Frigate Orpheon Submerged". Fun game.

And Sonic and Sega All Stars came out with Ryo Hazuki as a DLC character. That contests with that music game I mentioned earlier to purchase.

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

well i managed to get through all the Ys games on steam. The order I played them in was Ys1 -> Ys2 -> Ys Origin -> Ys Oath

they're fun jrpgs and pretty short too. so if anyone wants to play a jrpg without sinking in 80 hours, these are a pretty good choice. also the music is pretty great.

also while looking for music on youtube, i found clips of the Ys Anime. it was english dubbed and Feena sounded like she was voiced by Aigis.

That's actually been one of the major obstacles preventing me from getting into Ys, but if they're not that long then I might push them up the queue a bit.

That's actually been one of the major obstacles preventing me from getting into Ys, but if they're not that long then I might push them up the queue a bit.
i'd say play ys1 & 2 first since they established the universe. the gameplay is just run into stuff and it autoattacks. i picked origin next as its mostly backstory for 1 & 2 (but also has some references that make solving some quest puzzles easier).

oath is sorta separate as takes place outside of the land of Ys and Adol is hanging out with his best bro Dogi.

going by Steam times:
Ys1 = 9 hours
Ys2 = 13 hours
Ys Origin = 25 hours (note that the game needs three different character playthroughs to get the full story & true ending)
Ys Oath = 11 hours

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Sanctum 2 is on sale for $2.50 right now. I actually prefer the original a lot more, but the second one is still ok.

EDIT: Looks like the original is on sale for $1.50 as well.

Last edited:
I know this thread died, whatever. Any of you people play Castle Crashers? :c I need some people to play with. I guess you can say...

we're gonna CRASH this party :PUN:I'm so sorry

I'd actually say play YS Oath first since it's the most fun game out of all the ones on Steam. Ys 1 and 2 play completely differently and have that "bumping" combat system that may or may not appeal to you.

I know this thread died, whatever. Any of you people play Castle Crashers? :c I need some people to play with. I guess you can say...

I have Castle Crashers on the Xbox, so I didn't buy the Steam version :(

I have it. I only played parts of it through with a friend in co-op and never did it single player or leading a part, so I don't know much about about it besides whack stuff. But I can play. I'm a bit busy with college though so I tend to play late at night though.

I have it. I only played parts of it through with a friend in co-op and never did it single player or leading a part, so I don't know much about about it besides whack stuff. But I can play. I'm a bit busy with college though so I tend to play late at night though.
Don't worry about it, whenever you have time is fine for me.