• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

8 Players, No Items, Fox Only, Big Final Destination
It should be Bowser though. On Normal Destination (If that's an option). Drop kick once and you're sure to hit SOMETHING

8 Shulk's spamming "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" endlessly.

I'm totally down with Mewtwo's addition. I'm curious to how the Mewtwo it will work though. I have a JP 3DS and will probably be getting an EU or US WiiU. Will I be able to get him free?

Reactions: Rellek
Pic of the day.

At long last, the Wii U version supports eight-player multiplayer!!

It gets pretty hectic watching eight people duke it out at once.

zlCfzSk6HzMBkcWj_9

And here's a stage prepared for a large number of fighters, Big Battlefield!!

Fighters can spread out, so it should be easier battling on a stage like this.

zlCfzSk6IBoqvrFxfc

But LOOK AT THAT TIMER IN THAT SECOND PICTURE

1 HOUR, 2 MINUTES, 33.71 SECONDS

Reactions: Lavama
Who's ready for 99 hour time matches?
Ah, old friend... I thought I wouldn't do those again for purposes of unlocking Mew Two. I mean I won't have to now, but ya know...

^ imagine if just that picture leaked pre-stream tho

the salt

Nah, Ridley's size here kind of gives it away that he's a stage boss, especially since it's on Pyropshere and is the Other Mmodel we knew was coming from that split second in the previous Smash Direct.
This image though, imagine if this had leaked pre-stream, it would have caused so much salt the world would be preserved for thousands of years to come:
tumblr_inline_ndx8ioVlt11rbyfm0.png

3Y1iu8F.jpg

Porky at the bottom left.

Between him, Rayquaza, Ridley, Metal Face and Yellow Devil, I think we might get the return of Boss Battles - no Duon or the stupid original the character mech, but all the ones from Brawl and this in a boss rush.

But who's that next to hi......uh oh. Whoever mentioned Xenoblade spoilers, you called it. That's a blatant Xenoblade spoiler if I ever saw one.

A whole buncha screenshots just came out. Sharing the best ones.

Where can I find the rest of these?

But who's that next to hi......uh oh. Whoever mentioned Xenoblade spoilers, you called it. That's a blatant Xenoblade spoiler if I ever saw one.

Wow, I can't believe the final boss of Xenoblade was the Excite Biker all along.

No dummy the one to the right of.......oh I see what you're doing.

To be fair, Smash spoiled the big twist of KI:U as soon as Palutena was revealed. Oh well - I'm not super angry. If anything, cute robot girl makes me wanna play the game more.

Where can I find the rest of these?
Can't find them all together, no idea where they're getting them from - but there's this video with them all

There's a whole lot of traveling stages/tour stages this time.
I've come to love tour stages. They're auto-scrolling stages done right IMO. Delfino Plaza is one of my favorite, and Mario Circuit and Wuhu Island seem similar.

edit:
v8nufx6.png

Oh my God, Sakurai retweeted Etika's MUH DICK video

For those who haven't seen

Last edited:
A whole buncha screenshots just came out. Sharing the best ones.

tumblr_ndy4shiDyk1t6jvvlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndy4shiDyk1t6jvvlo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndy513i7sL1t6jvvlo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndy513i7sL1t6jvvlo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndy513i7sL1t6jvvlo6_1280.jpg

Rushing Water on Kalos League=ugh...but it will be okay so long as Rayquaza is just a background prop. And not a fucking stage boss, in which case the stage is ruined. Why is Sakurai so obsessed with making stages impossible to fight on?

Mario Circuit actually looks good though, no pics of you ever not being a floating platform yet.

Rushing Water on Kalos League=ugh...but it will be okay so long as Rayquaza is just a background prop. And not a fucking stage boss, in which case the stage is ruined. Why is Sakurai so obsessed with making stages impossible to fight on?

Mario Circuit actually looks good though, no pics of you ever not being a floating platform yet.

Nah, Rayquaza's got some kinda jetstream on him, I'm positive he'll mess with the fighters if he's not a boss.
And Sakurai's convinced somehow that he's solved all his competitive problems with the omega stages so he's just piling all the uncompetitive random shit onto every stage.

Nah, Rayquaza's got some kinda jetstream on him, I'm positive he'll mess with the fighters if he's not a boss.
And Sakurai's convinced somehow that he's solved all his competitive problems with the omega stages so he's just piling all the uncompetitive random shit onto every stage.
He's probably going to be blowing wind at you like Latios and Latias. Just hopefully not that ferociously.

I'm sure you all saw, but Michuru Yamane's doing songs for the Wii U version. She's our girl from Skullgirls.

also castlevania symphony of the night but there's no chance i'm sorry
Wait...

Oh Sweet Lord....

SQUIGLY SINGS TO VICTORY!

Oh, fuck. Refurbished Wii-Us are out of stock; I was going to order one of those today.
Lets hope they come back in stock before the 21st, or I'm screwed.

Also, on the topic of stage legality, I think the Elite Four stage being legal comes down to a few things:

A) Does Rayquaza hurt you, or is he just a windbox?
If he hurts you, than that is going to be a pretty big hit to it's viability (though not necessarily a death sentence; we put up with the Claw and the Beam, we can probably deal with this)
If it's a windbox than we're fine; Dreamland is legal in Melee, and the only legal stage in 64, and that always had a windbox, as opposed to just one out of four times.

B) How fast does the water push you?
It pushing at all is pretty bad, but if it's more like a slight push as opposed to 'touch and your dead' than it will be less bad.
More Dreamland, less Big Blue.

C) Does the fire on the sides or (more importantly) under the platforms hurt (or, god forbid, insta-kill) you?
Pretty self-explanatory.

Wuhu Island seems like it'll be fine, though; same with Mario Kart if the images so far are representative of the whole stage.
Overall seems like more viable stages than on 3DS, but to be fair, it couldn't have been much worse.

GameXplain just released a bunch of videos about stages so I'll share my thoughts:

Orbital Gate: Well it looks beautiful but the transitions are extremely quick, to the point where I worry if there'll be lots of SD's moving to the new platforms. You spend all of like 10 seconds on the Great Fox. :/ Also lasers flying around randomly, not sure if they damage you though. I'll need to play this for myself.

Wooly World: Walk off>Interesting Platform Placement>JK BACK TO WALK OFF. It'll be okay in casual play.

Kalos League: The Water section isn't a big deal. The rushing water comes down once and quickly, though the walk-off sections are there for the entirety of the water section. Spends about 20 seconds or so in each section. Swords in the steel section are solid objects with hitboxes though. No word on fire or dragon. Considering the swords don't let you pass though I doubt the fire will and rayquaza is probably a boss. If so, stage is dead. If not, this could be okay in casual play, but the solid swords kill any chance of competitive play it had.

Mario Circuit: Not bad, there is one stop on the track with a walkoff on the right, and one stop in which 3 drivers go through the center of the platform. I'll enjoy this stage, and it has a chance for counterpick status.

Jungle Hijinx: The center of the foreground platform can crumble Green Hill Zone style, but comes back up relatively quickly. There's also the tiki tower thing, but that's not in this video. This stage will be fun to play in FFA's, I think I can even call this a good stage.

Wrecking Crew: It's...surprisingly playable. The bombs don't collapse the platforms, rather they open up pathways through the existing platform setup. I need to play this for myself to judge further.

Great Cave Offensive: lol that camera. I have no idea what to think of this, but hopefully it's fun with 8 players.

Hopefully Pilotwings is next, as that looks like the best stage in the game IMO.

Edit: Apparently Pyrosphere and Wuhu Island were next, so I'll just update this post accordingly.

Pyrosphere: Well it's what you'd expect. Enemies randomly fall down and Ridley comes out after about 30ish seconds? It might be fun in casual play, idk.

Wuhu Island: GOOD STAGE, WE HAVE A GOOD STAGE. 2 walk off sections, but for the most part, this stage looks fantastic. Definite counterpick contender.

Last edited:
but the solid swords kill any chance of competitive play it had.

I would argue that's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be; Pokemon Stadium had walls in one transformation as well, and had a smaller pool to choose from too. I feel that Kalos League may make a good counter-pick. Definitely not starter, obviously, but if a few things go right I can see it being counter-pick, easily.

Wuhu Island seems like it'll be fine, though; same with Mario Kart if the images so far are representative of the whole stage.
Overall seems like more viable stages than on 3DS, but to be fair, it couldn't have been much worse.
It might be too early to call but it seems like we've got a decent stage selection here. Battlefield, big battlefield, omega variants, smashville, town and city and miiverse are a decent at best starter selection but for counter we've (potentially) got delfino, halberd, lylat cruise, pokemon stadium 2, castle siege, pilotwings, and wuhu island and we still haven't even seen all the stages. That's actually kind of good even if half of them get banned anyway. Most likely more than melee, at least.
And then there's always custom stages, kind of doubt that will pan out but if 90% of the above stages get banned it's at least an option.

big battlefield

Agree with the post, but I am kinda worried about BB.
First, it might only be in 8-Player, which means it's not even a thing unless 4v4s start happening, though that is almost certainly just me being paranoid.
My other worry, which is more likely, is that Big Battlefeild looks like it could promote circle camping (though that might just bee my inner Roy coming out), but we'll have to see about that when the game comes out.

I'm iffy on Big Battlefield and circle camping. On one hand, yeah it's big. On the other, the platform arrangement might make it hard to camp as easy as on, say, Tomodachi Life or something.

Yeah, that's why I say it might be best to just play this one by ear a bit.
Also, the circle camping thing is almost definitely just me being paranoid about this sort of stuff.
It's just... I've seen things and been rekt by those things for so long, I kind of have a knee-jerk reaction to anything that could even slightly be circle camped.

I see Chrom in that lineup.
It's so nice that he'd offer his
chromgratulations
like this.

Literally Hitler.

... But seriously, that was terrible. You should feel ashamed of yourself.
FEEL ASHAMED.

Bro, Chrom puns are my favorite things ever, they're my forte, or at least I like to think I'm
chrompetent at them.

Reactions: Kongk4
I was really excited for Big Battlefield when I first saw it, but I thought about it. This game is far more fun on smaller stages. The on stage game is rather campy and rolls just beat every option, it is when you can threaten with getting them off stage that it becomes interesting.

I think camping the center of Big Battlefield would be far, far too strong a position, even if you do something unsafe, nothing in this game will punish you hard from that position.