• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I'm sure they could make it work, considering he seemed to fit in fine for UMvC3, so I'm still hopeful.

Yeah if it worked in UMvC3 i'm sure it will work on Smash, just that i'm wondering how his final smash would be.

You know there'd probably be more choices for a Metroid Rep. if Metroid could get a game where Samus actually does bounty hunting, wouldn't there? That'd be a good chance for more memorable Metroid characters.
They could always bring back Sylux from Hunters. He's probably the only bounty hunter to survive that game and he's got a bone to pick with Samus anyways.

Yeah if it worked in UMvC3 i'm sure it will work on Smash, just that i'm wondering how his final smash would be.
Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but either way, yeah, of course, they're going to need to make some difficult changes if he's going to be in such a mobile game, like smash.
Anyways, I imagine his final smash along the lines of his level 3 super from UMvC3; some kind of verdict on the opponent animation-wise while it could be some kind of close-up grab like Captain Falcon or Duck Hunt.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but either way, yeah, of course, they're going to need to make some difficult changes if he's going to be in such a mobile game, like smash.
Anyways, I imagine his final smash along the lines of his level 3 super from UMvC3; some kind of verdict on the opponent animation-wise while it could be some kind of close-up grab like Captain Falcon or Duck Hunt.
Not sarcasm, i was geninuely impressed he was added to UMvC3, but then got sad to find out he's low tier there even tho he is one of the most interesting chars in that game.

Not sarcasm, i was geninuely impressed he was added to UMvC3, but then got sad to find out he's low tier there even tho he is one of the most interesting chars in that game.
Yeah, when I first heard he was added in UMvC3 I was really, really excited.
Sadly, though, most of the time characters with specific mechanics usually aren't too good, apparently, so I expected him to be low-tier going into it.
I love an interesting playstyle/mechanic though, so he's still very fun to play.

Reactions: Dio Brando
Gimmicky movesets are almost always poor standing in tier lists. I mean look at Donkey Kong. His gimmick is using his gigantic hands to do all his damage and gets a pretty low spot on the tier list. Actually you know what...

It's Sakurai. He fuckin hates DK.

I'm waiting for Sakurai to loose reigns on the series and characters that aren't his waifus and babbies can get in

snip

I like squirtle and ivysaur. They are both fun to play and unique in their own way. However they aren't exactly getting pushed within the pokemon brand..and both getting individual character status while cool in its own way...is also quite bad in another. Yes I was talking about relevance.

So yeah, not expecting much if anything at all from the third party fighters. Most seem not worth the hassle and expenses, or just aren't as prominent on Nintendo platforms.

That's why I'm rooting for Shantae, because she really seems to fall on a good medium on all fronts.
Banjo Kazooie tho. The only non-nintendo exclusive game he has is the shitty lego cars game that everyone pretends never happened.
And the only Shantae game that's a nintendo exclusive to my knowledge is the original one on the gameboy color that nobody played, so she's not all that nintendo-y.
But what we really need is for Tim Schafer to port psychonauts to the 3ds so that I can vote for Raz.

I like squirtle and ivysaur. They are both fun to play and unique in their own way. However they aren't exactly getting pushed within the pokemon brand..and both getting individual character status while cool in its own way...is also quite bad in another. Yes I was talking about relevance.
I would say they're about as series relevant as charizard, really. They got mevos. They're secondary starters in X and Y. So what, charizard has 2 mevos, nobody cares about mcharizard Y anyway. And most importantly, Ivysaur is fun as shit in project m so fuck smash 4.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation I like squirtle far more than I like wolf.

Yeah but,
the kids on the schoolyard aren't going to be bragging about their super powerful Ivysaur.
Charizard is moderately iconic to the Pokemon franchise, more so than a second evolution or base starter could be.

And the only Shantae game that's a nintendo exclusive to my knowledge is the original one on the gameboy color that nobody played, so she's not all that nintendo-y.
I'm not finding anything on the Shantae Pirate Curse one released outside of the Wii U or 3DS, did it have plans to go on Steam or something? And Risky's Revenge was exclusively on the Nintendo DS for a year in 2010, until being ported to IOS in October 2011 and then the Steam Director's Cut in 2014. And the new one has plans to be released on the Wii U. So far she's been very exclusively Nintendo-centric, she's always started on one before branching off a little.
Banjo Kazooie tho. The only non-nintendo exclusive game he has is the shitty lego cars game that everyone pretends never happened.
Don't forget the Xbox-exclusive cameo in Sonic racing.
But yeah, Banjo Kazooie tho. Who are owned by Microsoft, who are quite the large company. And large companies tend to have higher expectancies of the "dolla dolla" for any franchises that they own.
Which, again, Shantae is currently not under the same circumstances and is owned by a significantly smaller company who probably expects less money out of their characters.

Double post I guess.

Third episode of Smashified is out.
banjo_and_kazooie_smashified_by_hextupleyoodot-d8pau7t.png

Deviantart source.
Time lapse video with some wicked music.
I dunno there's something about this render that's offputting to me.
I mean, I feel the same way about old Rare 3D models, but still.

Looks cool either way I just, I dunno.

Kazooie looks fine honestly, though she could look more snarky (that's what she's there for), but Banjo's eyes are just far too wide and really odd looking...It's all the eyes. Ignoring them it looks great.

Looks more like a Brawl render than a Smash 4 render.

S'cute though.

And after trimming the votes for characters that aren't going to get put into Smash (I.E. Banjo-Kazooie, Shovel Knight, Solid Snake, Bayonetta, Paper Mario, Ice Climbers, Roy, Geno, etc.) Shantae's kinda in 5th!
What the heck are you getting at here

erm, Banjo-Kazooie DOES have a chance, fool. The owners to the rights of Banjo have said that they'd be fine with it. Kojima has said he'd be fine with Snake being re-added.

Granted Snake has no chance due to MGS5 on the way, but that's not the point I'm making here.

To be entirely fair,
IC will probably be back for Smash 5.

They're sitting this one out, like Mewtwo sat out Brawl.

So Reddit finally finished tallying up their Smash Ballot whosawhatsits:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._results_the_smash_bros_dlc_reddit_survey_is/

And after trimming the votes for characters that aren't going to get put into Smash (I.E. Banjo-Kazooie, Shovel Knight, Solid Snake, Bayonetta, Paper Mario, Ice Climbers, Roy, Geno, etc.) Shantae's kinda in 5th!

Being 100% serious you do realize that Paper Mario does actually have a real chance and Shantae is one of those no-hopers you choose to exclude immediately, right?

Being 100% serious you do realize that Paper Mario does actually have a real chance and Shantae is one of those no-hopers you choose to exclude immediately, right?
He can believe what he wants, telling him there's no hope only makes him hope harder. It's a thing humans do. Gotta deal with it.

Anyways, I think it's fuckin hilarious that the reckless wiimote guy actually got enough votes to be mentioned. I love it.

Hoo Haa is officially dead.

Granted Snake has no chance due to MGS5 on the way, but that's not the point I'm making here.
...So I was right?
erm, Banjo-Kazooie DOES have a chance, fool.
I don't know how to explain my logic here, but for some reason every time I see them they just do not feel like a character Sakurai would make. I don't know, I still see the fact that currently none of their games are purchasable on a modern Nintendo console is a huge dent in their chances. Nintendo's still a business, after all.
Unless a new one is in the works for the Wii U, I'm not really seeing it.
Okay I'm gonna into why Paper Mario's not going to become a thing (I.E. Another Mario +Sakurai dismissal of series) so I'll just explain the logic behind Shantae.
The reason why I didn't dismiss Shantae is because I believe she's a better choice than every other third-party character now. Let's just start with:
A. Availability. Every single game she's on can be purchased right now on the 3DS eshop. Can she be bought on other places? Yes, but iOS gameplay is suffering and PC is not cared about by consoles.
B. She's recognizable. She's really started to make a comeback in recent years.
C. Cheap. Wayforward is not nearly as large as other companies, to the point where Shantae is considered Indie (Another thing no other character in Smash has). So she would be much less of a hassle to purchase.
D. Over three games (Plus one more coming soonish) she has a massive move set potential (That's unique from the other Smash fighters). There's not really a whip-centric Smash character (and much less on a hair based one) mixed with magic.
E. Theme. The Shantae series has the right level of quirkiness to fit into Smash. While other characters like Bayonetta and Snake are good characters, yes, their games don't fit into the current style of Smash. Plus multiple iterations of Shantae lets flexibility from a character design standpoint as well.
F. Female rep. Pretty basic. Having a third-party character also be female is becoming increasingly good for publicity.
G. Good game. Each game she's come out with has been a creative, well polished enjoyable iteration. After getting multiple game of the year awards and nominees it's not like new players will be unhappy with her games.
Okay I'm done now. ...For the moment.

OH NO YOU DO HAVE TO GRIND FOR MEWTWO'S CUSTOM MOVES AHHH

Or...Wait. I'm being told Mewtwo doesn't have any customs yet.

He does indeed not have any customs. I dunno if they're gonna be released at a later time or DLC characters just won't have customs.

Either way this may complicate Mewtwo's standing at EVO. He doesn't look terribly amazing anyway though.

Also Fire Emblem Roy.

So much for having no chance, huh. :PUN: