• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

Warning: Rant

With the tate no yuusha anime coming up, can I just say that I think it is a seriously overdone and generally garbage genre? Re:Monster was the eye opener and probably the shining example of why I hate this genre. Just a Gary Stu surrounded by one dimensional nobodies and harem girls while he effortlessly kills and eats in an insane exponential growth of power that is basically the literary embodiment of a clicker game. Now, not all of the works have the same problem. Re:Zero didn't have the opness found in others, but it did feel like some of characters were flat. It also helps that it is only the beginning, which is where these types of stories are best.
Another story I want to rant about is a slime one, slime tensei or something.
That slime one was ok in that it didn't piss me off that much by trying to be more than it is, until, in what was supposed to be a "heartfelt moment" his friend(the most waifu character) gets killed by humans(in a pretty bullshit way since she is supposed to be pretty op, but oh well, plot convenience). After a relatively nice and easy ride in the world, you might think that this tragedy might allow him to develop more.
Noooooooooooooooooooope
He goes on a fit and kills human in an edgelord manner, becoming a demon king with even more op abilities. Oh yeah, he gets to revive his waifu with zero repercussions(in fact, she is stronger when revived). And who caused it all? a king. A king who has as much depth as a sign that says "literally hitler". Slime goes edgelord on the king and I just completely gave up on the genre.
Another thing that pisses me off are one dimensional hatable characters. You remember overlord? Remember that one cab driver? Remember how he looked and acted? Ugly with a side of pettiness and betrayl. Worst offender of this is a chinese web novel called "tales of demons and gods". There is this one character with zero redeeming qualities who you are meant to hate. You know the type, petty, arrogant, cowardly, shallow, insecure, insulting, and let's not forget that he wants to take away the MC's waifu. Every time he ever gets the spotlight, it is to insult and/or degrade him. I seriously think the author might be channeling his insecurity and hatred into the character.
Spoiler alert for tate no yuusha future anime watchers
the other 3 heroes feel like a mild version of this. Shallow hatable idiots which are only there to fulfill a very specific purpose in the story.
Now, I dropped this story, but from what I heard, the bitch princess is supposedly a being of pure evil. I can dig that sort of angle since it is very hard to act unnecessarily holier than thou which prevents some of my more hatable moments. It also gives the king some depth since he was only cursed to be stupid and evil.

Harem was born and died with Tenchi

no one's gotten it right since, even later Tenchi can't do it

Yes, but my most hated character in any story ever is the mc from Re:monster. It's like a sociopath decided to write up a wish fulfillment story and forgot the word "restraint" within two minutes.

You already nailed one of the problems with the genre right now @Triblue The MC is a force of competency and power surrounded by a cast of flimsy archetypes. And he's given the tools to break the rules of the established setting (currently with a video game flavor).

Honestly I've been thinking back to the isekai (transported to another world) genre from when I was growing up and it had some of the best examples of the genre. Digimon, Escaflowne, Those who hunt elves, El Hazard, Now and Then, Noein, etc. All good shows but they never let the main characters start in the setting with an edge over everyone, and they focus on worldbuilding as well as giving the main characters a rooting in those worlds and challenges to overcome.

I want to like at least Shield Hero because it's a legitimate underdog story but I can't stand how edgy the main character and setting started out. Plus all the other heroes are braindead with how they go about their work. Has nobody every heard of tanks in their respective experiences? How could they look down on a guy just because he wields a shield? Not even their unwillingness to treat this setting seriously since they are going about it just like it's a game despite each of them putting their lives on the line.

It's just sad to see that the current standard for this idea is so low. Instead of crafting interesting worlds we get thinly veiled video game landscapes that are never explored. And everyone gets a cheat device right off the bat.

I mean, the best one in this genre is Konosuba. Let's be honest, that world is surprisingly well thought out. Just, the very idea of the Succubus Shop is the best thing ever.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
the arrogance of isekai comes from that it assumes I give a damn about what a normal person in a fantasy world with a collection of moe stereotypes when I just want a fun fantasy story like Slayers or Rune Soldier Louie

Reactions: Stairwayyy
I hope Bed, Bath & Beyond does more with the side cast at least
I imagine it'll be as breakneck as the first season but please
let Chain and Zed do stuff

still waiting for the kick ass manga adaptation of mega man to get anime'd

it isn't gonna happen but y'know

that is still one of the dumbest names I think I've seen for a show

but was that Sawano music? sounded a bit like him to me

Finally getting back to one piece. Going through Zou now.

I can't believe sanji's totally fucking dead they swear

Could Edward really have done this?
fullmetalalchemist1.jpg

Rewatched the first ep again and seeing this part made me think.
Given the rules of that world of equivalent exchange could Edward really have made such a fantabulous spear from sand alone?

i mean sand is mostly made of small ground up bits of minerals and other stone. And a ton of silicon dioxide and quartz. So despite the spear looking it his has a wooden staff, it's actually just metal. The whole thing is. Which begs the question... Just how heavy that spear is? and why didn't it shatter the second he slammed it into the chimera? because it's not like the sand was sand iron, which would have allowed Ed to construct a much stronger spear.

Reactions: Notkastar
i mean sand is mostly made of small ground up bits of minerals and other stone. And a ton of silicon dioxide and quartz. So despite the spear looking it his has a wooden staff, it's actually just metal. The whole thing is. Which begs the question... Just how heavy that spear is? and why didn't it shatter the second he slammed it into the chimera? because it's not like the sand was sand iron, which would have allowed Ed to construct a much stronger spear.

Huh, You make a really solid case Ninja-Brian. (pun intended)
The whole thing being solid 'metal' would explain why the spear's rod broke like a stone would instead of splintering apart like wood when fending off the chimera's attack.

As for why it didn't break on contact, My guess is that the could have been condensed enough to not shatter right off the back. Though like you said, Not sure how much that thing could have weighed given how much condensing it might need for the spear not to break apart right off the bat.

His automail could have played a role since with his right arm alone he was able to punch a mutated bird a few feet.

Edit:

A better question, are you watching FMA Original?
Sure looks like it.
You should be watching Brotherhood.

Just watching the one I have saved on my PC which happens to be the original haha ◠‿◠)
Guessing brotherhood does the battle differently?

Guessing brotherhood does the battle differently?

Try "does the whole manga correctly" when they let it finish finally.

I mean, to be fair, that was A LOT of Sand.

1 billion lions vs 1 beach of sand

Reactions: Notkastar
Anime Magic

Yeah tho the original sucks, watch Brotherhood

Try "does the whole manga correctly" when they let it finish finally.

I know this is gonna piss a few peeps off, Like seriously piss a few peeps off
(Probably. I really hope not)

But I've seen a few eps of Brotherhood and honestly it looks like- Eh-

By no means is it bad, heck no! It just that it seems like-

Orginal:
full-metal-panic-melissa-sousuke-xia-yu-mecha-wallpaper.jpg

Brotherhood:

Ya know? Brotherhood feels like it has better jokes while the original seems more serious.
Please take into mind that I have not read the manga and only seen a few eps of both and making my way through them right now. (Starting with the orginal)

Honestly, I'm one of those people who look for continuity that's matching the manga or anything.
I just wanna watch something neat ╹‿╹)

Are you saying Brotherhood is a spin-off comedy?

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Are you saying Brotherhood is a spin-off comedy?

No, Just that brotherhood seems like the anime but just a whole lot funnier.

The only comparison I was trying to make is that the original seems more serious while brotherhood seems more comical and light hearted. ╹‿╹)

Well, watch it til the end. You'll definitely know it's not as comedic as you think it is.

Well, watch it til the end. You'll definitely know it's not as comedic as you think it is.

Oh that's ominous

Does it go full 180 with the jokes in favor of some really dark subject matter?
like this did

Like does ed end up dying or end up lossing, even more, ports of him?

Just finish it. I'm not saying more than that.

Just finish it. I'm not saying more than that.

Really? Ah that's a bit disappointing but I can respect that.
Kk m8, when I get around to watching brotherhood I'll keep an open mind ╹‿╹)

honestly both FMA original and FMA Brotherhood are good. That said Brotherhood edges it out because of the ending. it's good.

Speaking of Full Metal Panic, I think season 4 got delayed...FUCK

Spring 2018 is still a thing.

honestly both FMA original and FMA Brotherhood are good. That said Brotherhood edges it out because of the ending. it's good.

That's why I didn't want to say anything more to him other than "see it to the end"

That's why I didn't want to say anything more to him other than "see it to the end"

Come on doods,
A peep really starts to wonder how good an ending is when others are coming to a common conclusion that it's "Good." = =)

What's worst is that it's vague too, Good could go either way in terms of tone.
heck, If they done it right. Good could mean an ending were every peep dies in the end
or an ending where...idk there mom legitimately comes back to life or something. =P