• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

I'm real curious as for what your thoughts on the matter are.

That depends...what exactly is your intent with this 3D model? Are you attempting to emulate the style and look of 2D animation with a 3D model?

That depends...what exactly is your intent with this 3D model? Are you attempting to emulate the style and look of 2D animation with a 3D model?
The world will be ours Skull.

well, basically I'm going to attempt to emulate a 2d style shadeless 3d model, animate it and then trace the outlines on to a 2d animation(s).
I'm going to attempt to make her running animation, put different angles of the camara and record it; then if the animation looks convincing enough we can trace the animation.

well, basically I'm going to attempt to emulate a 2d style shadeless 3d model, animate it and then trace the outlines on to a 2d animation(s).
I'm going to attempt to make her running animation, put different angles of the camara and record it; then if the animation looks convincing enough we can trace the animation.

I've done exactly what you're talking about before, but I didn't model the character to full detail. Instead, I made a really basic rig with the general proportions of the character, animated the character, then used the 3D animation as a basis for my 2D animation. I traced over the 3D animation to get the general poses and proportions, then I adjusted my line-work and added in details during my second pass.

How complicated are you trying to make the rig, and are you doing anything more complex than a flat shader on the model?

@Skullmageddon I will just rig her body, including hands and braids; I will not rig the other parts of the hair, eyes of even mouth (that will come when animating her on a 2d plane). other problem I will run into will be Sagan, since he is so flexible and can change forms I don't think I have the knowledge to properly make his animations, I will have to use just markers or a very simplified version of him.
As for the shader.. I'm still figuring what could be the best option to make a similar lighting as the game. If I found a similar looking shader as the game we could even trace that layer into the 2d animation.

Sagan would be difficult and probably not worth the effort. It would be more effective to simply animate him without reference. When I get the chance I'll share an animation I did with you and explain my process.

As far as messing with shaders goes, I personally wouldn't try to emulate the shading techniques that they implement on the 2d sprites. Odds are, you'll have to make a lot of small changes to the linework when modifying the frames of the 3D render in post. Getting the lighting to be exactly like you want it might take a decent amount of time, and you'll end up having to make modifications anyways. If the final goal of this project is to generate a 2D animation by both modifying the render of a 3D model and using the model as a guide, then I personally wouldn't bother with setting up proper shaders. It would probably be faster to just do the lighting by hand in 2D. You should still mess around with the lighting for a bit though. You might find a simple and elegant solution that is both helpful and not too difficult to implement.

@Skullmageddon Yeah.. I won't get into much trouble animating Sagan on the 3d animation, I will use some points of reference, for example when Annie is riding him and extending his ears I could just use a ball to represent the point where the ears are on Annie's hands, and a solid cube to represent the body.

I'm still experimenting.. I'm liking the results but I won't be for sure until I finish the model (I'm currently lacking just the hands and some details on the hair), then texture it and try some posing to experiment on the lighting.

Mesh is done.. It's time to move to rigging thr model.
00QXvU0.png

EDIT: Oh wait.. I forgot about the little bag on her side, I guess i'm not ready to rig the model yet.

any chance this can be turned into a miku miku dance model? thats the only 3d model poser thing i have thats easy to animate. I just got blender too but don't know how to really use it.

Reactions: DDB
Mesh is done.. It's time to move to rigging thr model.
00QXvU0.png

EDIT: Oh wait.. I forgot about the little bag on her side, I guess i'm not ready to rig the model yet.
I'm just happy that somebody might rig this onto Marth or Roy and make a new skin out of it...

Hopefuly

oh yeah brawl box i can use that too.

oh yeah brawl box i can use that too.
So...

Your willing to go ahead and "try" to rig Annie's Model onto Marth or Roy when Annie's model is done?

oh no i meant i know how to animate not rig.

any chance this can be turned into a miku miku dance model? thats the only 3d model poser thing i have thats easy to animate. I just got blender too but don't know how to really use it.
I don'w know.. I will investgate on how to do it, havinf your help would certainly help animate more moves at once!, specially if you are as good as you are in your north star slash animation.. LOOKS AWESOME.

Reactions: No longer exist
Annie will now appear on the David Letterman Show
How do you mispronounce Annie?

Reactions: Kai
I'm glad yall like the animation. Since the response is pretty good for it i'll go ahead and do cleaner lines for it.

if people do the rough key frames (like the ones in the gif) of more moves and other needed animations (like wake up animations and stuff) It'd be easy to get rough animations done like the north star slash thing. It only took me like 8-9 hours to get that rough animation to that point.

Reactions: Karlaaldana
Nice work only thing I would say is give Annie a different facial expression something that express the oomph shes putting into that attack

Reactions: ink_deer
I thought this would be useful for other animators. some parts i used for the above animation.

Annie Parts

Attachments

• annie parts.png
    annie parts.png
    612.2 KB · Views: 619
I thought I should note that it may be easier to use a 3D model of Annie's sword like how Beowulf, Eliza and Big Band each have 3D assets tied to their animations. Karlaaldana's model may be what I'm hinting at, as it's the closest thing we have to it. One could take rendered screens of the model in certain positions that mirror how the sword would appear in its animation, keeping keyframes in mind as you go about. You'd really have to go back and redo the whole North Sword sequence, but with the right techniques and MORE ENTHUSIASTIC FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, Annie should appear much more like she is meant for the game.

That doesn't mean I'm discounting anyone's attempts during this project, I only believe that it helps to take a step back and take a fresh look at one's progress, and then go on from there. (^w^)

Everything is in its own separate layer (874 layers in all) in that animation so if a rendered sword does come along it shouldn't take long to put a better sword in.

She kinda struck me as an kuudere type so i thought i could get away with being lazy :p
I'll see what i can do about the expressions though.

Everything is in its own separate layer (874 layers in all) in that animation so if a rendered sword does come along it shouldn't take long to put a better sword in.

She kinda struck me as an kuudere type so i thought i could get away with being lazy :p
I'll see what i can do about the expressions though.

I'll likely lend a hand now that I've rekindled my love for arting and the Skullgirls art style. Should have some Annie faces posted by tomorrow, with a thread to go with it. But, keep in mind that although she's a tough nut in a crazy world, Annie isn't always stern-faced. You gotta give her some oomph and maybe a little bit of a growl or yell in her expressions.

Annie is no robot.

Small question should sagan always be on her hip? I kinda imagined him just wondering around the stage doing random cute/creepy things on his own when he's not being used. then when he is needed he just disappears from wherever he is and reappears to where he is needed. I ask cause this could be used in some neat animations. Think serv bot from marvel vs capcom 2 but kinda creepy but still cute. This knee Fall idea would need this.

If you just keep him on his own layer it would be pretty easy to animate annie with sagan there or not.

index.php

Which version would be best? what do you suggest?

Attachments

• annie knee fall idea.jpg
    annie knee fall idea.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,460
heh I was actually working on the crumple too and I was wondering the same question of either Sangan getting squished by Annie or He just falls to her side looking worried.

EDIT: I'll do the one where Sangan is by Annie's side. But uh version 2 of your crumple is good.

Version 2 would be ideal imo it looks as though it wouldn't be over anniemated it gets to the point. I like the idea of Sagan trying to hold her up and being squished

heh I was actually working on the crumple too and I was wondering the same question of either Sangan getting squished by Annie or He just falls to her side looking worried.
him being squished is super fitting though.

Reactions: Shockdingo and DDB
I think it would be a nice touch to have Sagan attempting to hold her up as she falls onto him :D

Nothing new I Just wanted to see how well these animations meshed together. I made a couple minor edits to my half to make it match more to the idle animation. Not perfect but still eye candy.

Skullmageddon animation + Tank animation

combined_with_skillmegedon_by_drsusredfish-d85ehyn.gif

Nothing new I Just wanted to see how well these animations meshed together. I made a couple minor edits to my half to make it match more to the idle animation. Not perfect but still eye candy.

Skullmageddon animation + Tank animation

combined_with_skillmegedon_by_drsusredfish-d85ehyn.gif
Looks Good. I hope all this animation dons't go to waste

It Speeds up the animation process. When the facial expression reference sheet is made it should be easier to add more emotion.

Besides grab mode here are a list of some things annie will need. thanks to kinuko.

B1yx-iwIMAEvNse.jpg

Reactions: Karlaaldana