• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

*skims comments*

... did someone say "Brawl Box"?

cerebella___upb___devil_horns_by_kitballard-d5am61k.gif

cerebella___sideb___cerecopter___updated__by_kitballard-d59pmxm.gif

cerabella___wait1___ingame_by_kitballard-d59gn7d.gif

@Kit Ballard WOW.. those are really good 3d models and animations.. We could actually make some sort of skullgirls brawl mod.
Speaking of 3d models....
I'm finally starting to make some progress on texturing. This is just a test for UV mapping purposes.. That's why it doesn't have too much details, I will actually have to redo all textures and adjust the position of the eyes.
annie_preview11_by_karlaaldana-d86smjo.png

annie_preview12_by_karlaaldana-d86smip.png

Why the long face, Annie?
Heh.. I guess it's the mouth that I'm not getting right, she does look a bit worried instead of her usual attitude

@Kit Ballard WOW.. those are really good 3d models and animations.. We could actually make some sort of skullgirls brawl mod.
Maybe.. Been stuck on Cerebella for a while cause of the crappy model. Also lack of real animation free time (been sitting on my Kit Ballard animation project and haven't gotten much further on it x.x)

its been a while since i used a 3d modeler but isn't there an auto smooth tool to get rid of the sharp angles?

its been a while since i used a 3d modeler but isn't there an auto smooth tool to get rid of the sharp angles?

Auto smooth just increases the number of polygons with little or no consideration for the topology of the model. It will smooth everything, so you have to have knowledgeable control over the placement of verts and edges if you plan on smoothing the model for any reason.

Smoothing the model will also double the number of verts, thus greatly increasing render time. Various other rendering techniques are commonly used to make a model look smooth or high poly without actually increasing the poly count, especially when modeling for a game environment.

Even if you are using any number of rendering techniques to make a model look smooth without greatly increasing your vert count, you still have to change your modeling techniques accordingly to compensate for the way in which you plan to render the model.

It is.. but for texturing I feel more confortable using a low poly model, then apply a subdivision of surfaces modifier to smooth the model out.

Reactions: Hexagum
I subdivided the model's faces by 1 level and.. yeah I like the results.
Of course this has repercution on the time in which the program render all those faces, before it rendered the model on about 5 seconds, now it renders it on about 15. I will have to play around with the poly count when I animate the model.
annie_preview13_by_karlaaldana-d86vggh.png

annie_preview14_by_karlaaldana-d86vggb.png

Just a quick update.. I'm starting to work on some of the more detailed textures.
I'm still working on her face texture, I added the bag, star, sword and other details as flats colors. I did a little experiment where I textured shadows under her arms, If i had a way to add those exact same shaders to her without texturing them would be awesome..
annie_preview15_by_karlaaldana-d8agj9u.png

annie_preview17_by_karlaaldana-d8agj9m.png

(The sword seems smaller because it's farther.. I'm pretty sure it's well scaled)

I'd like to say that the shape of her skull is reminiscent of a gorilla. The frontal bone is far too large, the zygomatics too flat and the maxilla too long. It may be because of the art style and you trying to get as close to it as possible, but it just kinda irks me a bit.

I just wanted to offer some criticism. Other than that, the lighting, model and work you've done is fantastic!

Reactions: Stonechimes
I'd like to say that the shape of her skull is reminiscent of a gorilla. The frontal bone is far too large, the zygomatics too flat and the maxilla too long. It may be because of the art style and you trying to get as close to it as possible, but it just kinda irks me a bit.

I just wanted to offer some criticism. Other than that, the lighting, model and work you've done is fantastic!

I'm using some of the official skullgirls character sheets as reference for her skull shape, the problem comes when it translates to 3d, it's very difficult to keep things aesthetic. there is also so many differences when I use an orthographic camera vs a perspective camera, things just tend to stretch in wierd ways when I use perspective.
I'm doing some adjustments to make her head shape more like her concept art, I realized that her head needs to be a little bit bigger and her jaw is slighlty wrongly positioned.

The way she is now is probably good enough to be traced once she is rigged. Any one who is going to animate her will likely make corrections along the way as they draw it. Don't stress too much about the shaders and what too much. Of course its your own model to do with what you want but yeah again its good enough to be drawn now.

Reactions: Karlaaldana
The way she is now is probably good enough to be traced once she is rigged. Any one who is going to animate her will likely make corrections along the way as they draw it. Don't stress too much about the shaders and what too much. Of course its your own model to do with what you want but yeah again its good enough to be drawn now.
Being a 3D animator, this made me go "What??"

The model and rig is not ready yet but definitely is getting close.. I'm currently redesigning her face lightly, I want that aspect to be more like the official artwork as possible. I'm intending to make her as close as possible so the 2d animators (including me) don't have to do many corrections, I'm also thinking of adding black outlines.. for the same reason.
(the black outline also goes over the same model, I might just need to play around with the intensity and the threshold at which the program detects edges)
annie_preview19_by_karlaaldana-d8bi2mx.png

Oooh, I'm diggin that black outline effect.

The model and rig is not ready yet but definitely is getting close.. I'm currently redesigning her face lightly, I want that aspect to be more like the official artwork as possible. I'm intending to make her as close as possible so the 2d animators (including me) don't have to do many corrections, I'm also thinking of adding black outlines.. for the same reason.
(the black outline also goes over the same model, I might just need to play around with the intensity and the threshold at which the program detects edges)
annie_preview19_by_karlaaldana-d8bi2mx.png
That face always did look wierd.

images

what is this? a picture for ants?
He's probably making a joke about how small the actual reference picture is, It was really difficult to work with that particular reference when we made a character reference sheet.

Heh.. I still don't like the black outline that much, I'm still tweaking some settings to make it look better.

There are a bunch of other ahad-made annie art in his tumblr and deviantart page.
Links please

This is the character sheet I made based on the original drawing.... On my 3d model there are a lot of adjustments to make it look more close to the original picture, but I started with this as a base.
annie character sheet2.jpg

"The Fall of Man"

Ahad predicted the Waifu Wars.

Heres my gift to you!

A Cartoon viewport shader using glsl node editor.

The colors are defined by multiple sets vertex colors. There is also another vertex set that allows you add bias to lighting.

It would be perfect if you could edit vertex normals in blender, sadly its not easy.

2s8qu4y.jpg

Attachments

• 2StepShader.zip
    152.3 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Heres my gift to you!

A Cartoon viewport shader using glsl node editor.

The colors are defined by multiple sets vertex colors. There is also another vertex set that allows you add bias to lighting.

It would be perfect if you could edit vertex normals in blender, sadly its not easy.

2s8qu4y.jpg

Thank you so much!, this is what I was looking for. I will start doing some tests with it later, it might be a while since I figure on how to integrate this shader properly to the original file.

Last edited:
Better yet, whens Beatrix

Reactions: Kai
I personally think ya guys should focus on normals a bit more, since those end up forming the backbone of most characters and how they flow into most specials and their combo, especially in SG. Obviously she'd have a quick forward slash similar to Hiryu's, perhaps a quick 3-hit standing of:

*Horizontal slash forward
*Horizontal slash in reverse direction
*Bring it down and up in an uppercut-like slash that could serve as launcher.

For lows:
*A light stomp with those long feet
*A low sweep with the sword (probably c.H.K)
*Swing/ram Sagan forward, possibly pushing Annie forward a bit

These are just general attack ideas I think would work with the way her idle looks and what could work to transition into her one special we got so far.

Reactions: DDB