• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I heard this was a fun fighter game from my friend and I liked the art so I decided to try it. Only problem is I have no idea how to download it from XBL. I know you have to download the patch but I never downloaded the original game to begin with before it was taken off XBL.

My question is, is there a way to download skullgirls on XBL if you haven't downloaded it before it got taken down, or am I doomed never to play this game?

So I heard this was a fun fighter game from my friend and I liked the art so I decided to try it. Only problem is I have no idea how to download it from XBL. I know you have to download the patch but I never downloaded the original game to begin with before it was taken off XBL.

My question is, is there a way to download skullgirls on XBL if you haven't downloaded it before it got taken down, or am I doomed never to play this game?
It will be back, Microsoft just tend to be... a bit.. difficult? So its back on PSN in the US in a few days, but ON XBLA, well it will still be a while, noone is certain how long yet.

is the gravity heavier in the Encore endless beta vs just the skullgirls ? When doing combos its sigificantly harder to me. Playing between the two games in one they feel more juggle and I can take my time. In the other one I am pressing the buttons super fast.

is the gravity heavier in the Encore endless beta vs just the skullgirls ? When doing combos its sigificantly harder to me. Playing between the two games in one they feel more juggle and I can take my time. In the other one I am pressing the buttons super fast.
The game is slightly faster, but not a huge amount. That could be it

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this- when is "peak time" for online play on PC?

It's 5:46 Central in my area, and there's hardly anyone on.

I would actually like to know this to.

Last edited:
Generally it seems to be noon and about 9-11 PM, in EST time.

Reactions: Drake Aldan
This might not be the thread for this, but just wondering:

c.lk c.mk s.hk j.lp j.mk j.hk barrel s.lp s.mk s.hp teacup (with Double obviously)

is this supposed to trigger IPS? I understand why it does (since you start the chain with teacup after already using barrel) but I thought special moves were exempt from IPS.

Is the hit spark when you hit with the teacup red or green?

Is the hit spark when you hit with the teacup red or green?
Red. Like I said, it makes sense that it triggers IPS, I just thought special moves weren't supposed to trigger it.

You're thinking of supers. Special moves can and will trigger IPS, and if one version of the move is used in a move-recording stage of a combo, ANY version of that move will trigger IPS if they're used to start a chain in stage 5.

You're thinking of supers. Special moves can and will trigger IPS, and if one version of the move is used in a move-recording stage of a combo, ANY version of that move will trigger IPS if they're used to start a chain in stage 5.
Good to know, thanks

I'm thinking of picking up this game when it comes back to XBLA and I tried the demo and enjoyed it, though I deleted it because it takes up a lot of GB on My Console and I needed room for other games. Just wondering, how hard is the AI to fight in this game and how many buttons will you need to press to perform most combos? I've heard from a reviewer of this game who criticized the CPU AI for being overly aggressive and tough to fight against, even at Sleepwalk difficulty; which kinda scares me before I try this game for real.

In UMVC3, I've seen resources that say a lot of "Basic" or "Bread and Butter" combos that require a lot of buttons to press and I can't remember them all, I can't play a game that'll require too much memory like that.

the ai does have multiple difficulty settings. the easy is pretty easy. the ai will challenge you on things you seem weak at to help you get better. if you have some fighting game experience it shouldnt be too hard, though.
the number of buttons you want to press really depends on you. you can do some pretty basic combos without a lot of buttons but if you want to get to the fancy and high damage stuff it will take quite a lot (usually)

I'm thinking of picking up this game when it comes back to XBLA and I tried the demo and enjoyed it, though I deleted it because it takes up a lot of GB on My Console and I needed room for other games. Just wondering, how hard is the AI to fight in this game and how many buttons will you need to press to perform most combos? I've heard from a reviewer of this game who criticized the CPU AI for being overly aggressive and tough to fight against, even at Sleepwalk difficulty; which kinda scares me before I try this game for real.

In UMVC3, I've seen resources that say a lot of "Basic" or "Bread and Butter" combos that require a lot of buttons to press and I can't remember them all, I can't play a game that'll require too much memory like that.

1. no, the AI is perfectly fine. The reviewer was probably talking about the final boss, Bloody Marie, who is overpowered like all fighting game bosses. but the rest is fine.

2. The game was designed with a very loose combo system so its easy to create your own combos.
its not hard to "memorize" combos at all, because the combos all follow patterns.
Chains are always lights->mediums->heavy->special move
And then you have combo extenders like re-stand, OTG, or air juggles.

So you can make some simple combos, just ground chain-> launcher -> air chain -> restand/OTG -> another ground chain into Blockbuster or w/e
Don't just try to copy combos from the forums here verbatim when you're new, use them as a guideline, alter them and make your own combo if you can't do them fully.

Just because a combo might have "a lot of buttons to press" means nothing
You could learn a huge combo in Skullgirls easier than you could learn some 4-hit combos in Street Fighter because they use extremely tight links. That, and the combos are less fun to practice because you're just trying the same link over and over.

Just wondering, how hard is the AI to fight in this game and how many buttons will you need to press to perform most combos? I've heard from a reviewer of this game who criticized the CPU AI for being overly aggressive and tough to fight against, even at Sleepwalk difficulty; which kinda scares me before I try this game for real.
Depending on when that review came out, it could be outdated in that regard. In the original version of Skullgirls, the AI was too strong (especially for Ms. Fortune), but the very first update to the game fixed that. At some point after that update, I decided to see how much easier the AI was on Sleepwalk.

I literally won matches by standing still and mashing the Light Punch button.

And even in terms of fighting game bosses, Marie's among the easiest.

EDIT: Never mind, I found all of the answers to my questions in the resource thread and a little experimentation. Don't mind me ^_^

Last edited:
Reactions: evilben
Hello there! A newbie Skullgirls and FGs in general player here. Great forum, absolutely loving it so far!

I've got 4 questions and they're all pretty basic but I haven't yet managed the answers elsewhere, so please bear with me here:
  1. What do 3 different colours of the HP bar mean? Googling "HP bar layers" leads me nowhere. I came up with "Darker red = Lost HP, Red = Replenishable HP loss, Yellow = Effective HP". Am I anywhere near the truth?
  2. Do assists cancel normal moves' recovery?
  3. Are all specials equally useful in cancelling normal moves? To be more specific: what's the reason to use :LK: Egret Call to cancel Forbearance' recovery if I can use :LK: Napalm Toss for more damage instead? I'm asking this because frankly I'm having a lot of trouble with using the Call to cancel the overhead due to the need to charge (even though I start to charge it as soon as I press :B::HK:).
  4. What's wrong with Annie? :PUN:

Last edited:
1. That's pretty much it, yeah.

2. No, but they can cover up your moves so you have the time to recover.

3. It depends on how vulnerable you are after using the move, if you're wanting to just cancel while being blocked. If the special takes too long to recover, you're probably gonna get smacked.

What do 3 different colours of the HP bar mean? Googling "HP bar layers" leads me nowhere. I came up with "Darker red = Lost HP, Red = Replenishable HP loss, Yellow = Effective HP". Am I anywhere near the truth?
In 1v1, "Normal HP Bar" vs "All Red HP Bar" means you have 2 or 1 lives left.
In any other size, "Any colour" vs "Bright Red" means life vs recoverable life (health that is gone but you can recover if the character isn't currently active)
Green colour in both sizes simply means that you have 100% life left to make it easier to identify whether you took a sliver of damage or not.

Other colours (eg the standard HP bar goes from yellow to red slowly) are purely visual aid to see faster how much life you have left (Are in the red = Low on life).

Do assists cancel normal moves' recovery?
No.

.. unless you are using LK.Egret assist, which I think cancels the points recovery now to do /something/? Not sure if that ever got implemented. Even if it did: Don't use it.

Are all specials equally useful in cancelling normal moves? To be more specific: what's the reason to use :LK: Egret Call to cancel Forbearance' recovery if I can use :LK: Napalm Toss for more damage instead? I'm asking this because frankly I'm having a lot of trouble with using the Call to cancel the overhead due to its considerable charge time (even though I start to charge it as soon as I press :B::HK:).
#1 For charge moves, you can charge at any time. For example if what you're doing is
:D::LK: > :D::MK: > :B::HK:,
you can instead press
:DB::LK: > :DB::MK: > :B::HK:
and start charging from the c.LK onwards, making the cancel a lot easier.

#2 Yes, some moves are better at some things than others :P Frame Data Helps
LK.Toss has 12f startup and 24f recovery, that means if you hit with s.b.HK and cancel into L.Toss, it takes 36f (a bit over half a second) before you can start acting again
LK.Egret has 0f startup and 21f recovery, that means if you hit with s.b.HK and cancel into L.Egret, it takes just 21f (a bit over 1/3rd of a second) before you can start acting again
= The cancel into L.Egret is a lot faster and allows you followups that you can't do with Toss.

Last edited:
1. That's pretty much it, yeah.
2. No, but they can cover up your moves so you have the time to recover.
3. It depends on how vulnerable you are after using the move, if you're wanting to just cancel while being blocked. If the special takes too long to recover, you're probably gonna get smacked.
In 1v1, "Normal HP Bar" vs "All Red HP Bar" means you lost have 2 or 1 lives left.
In any other size, "Any colour" vs "Bright Red" means life vs recoverable life (health that is gone but you can recover if the character isn't currently active).
Green colour in both sizes simply means that you have 100% life left to make it easier to identify whether you took a sliver of damage or not.
Other colours (eg the standard HP bar goes from yellow to red slowly) are purely visual aid to see faster how much life you have left (Are in the red = Low on life).
Thanks a lot!
.. unless you are using LK.Egret assist, which I think cancels the points recovery now to do /something/? Not sure if that ever got implemented. Even if it did: Don't use it.
Napalm Pillar seems to be a much better choice for an assist anyways...
#1 For charge moves, you can charge at any time. For example if what you're doing is
:D::LK: > :D::MK: > :B::HK:,
you can instead press
:DB::LK: > :DB::MK: > :B::HK:
and start charging from the c.LK onwards, making the cancel a lot easier.

#2 Yes, some moves are better at some things than others :P Frame Data Helps
LK.Toss has 12f startup and 24f recovery, that means if you hit with s.b.HK and cancel into L.Toss, it takes 36f (a bit over half a second) before you can start acting again
LK.Egret has 0f startup and 21f recovery, that means if you hit with s.b.HK and cancel into L.Egret, it takes just 21f (a bit over 1/3rd of a second) before you can start acting again
= The cancel into L.Egret is a lot faster and allows you followups that you can't do with Toss.
Yes, that's what I needed! I'll just stick to perfecting the charge instead of whining, then. Parasoul seems to be a character that needs a lot of charging to be effective.

If the first fifteen (or more) hits of a combo are a super, does the conversion and normal combo from there start at max scaling?

How many hits can Painwheel's armor take?

Depends on which attack is being used. A general rule of thumb is that lights have 1 hit, mediums have 2 hits, and heavies have 3 hits. There are some exceptions, though, so I'd suggest going to the Shoryuken wiki and reading up on her.

Checked there. I forget that site exists and is way better than Skullgirls Wikia.
1 hit for lights, 2 hits for mediums, 3 hits for heavies, as you said.
So, based on that, the best move to break PW's armor in Val is her j.lk?

That, or s.MP, or even c.LKx2 if you're feeling gutsy.

I usually try to start a combo with an air move (usually j.mp), since valentine has no standing overheads. I played a match against a painwheel and I could only hit 2 times before her charging completed. Ty for the help.

you can also throw her out of her armor. so if the pw gets used to baiting hits and counter with hatred guard do a light then throw, or just throw.

@hlvn supers will still scale damage.

1 hit for lights, 2 hits for mediums, 3 hits for heavies, as you said.
So, based on that, the best move to break PW's armor in Val is her j.lk?

I don't remember off the top of my head if the 123:LMH thing is entirely right; I wanna say there are exceptions.

I know for certain that j.HP only has one hit of armor, so any air move (Val's j.MP and j.HK are both great) with more than 1 hit will bop it. Air throws are generally better in practice if she's charging close enough for you to reach, since it's a guaranteed untechable throw (armor may soak a hit, but CH things still apply).

Yes, I tested throw against PW later and worked better. Thanks for the tips.

I just got bodied by a Parasoul constantly shooting Napalm Shots all over the screen, what in heavens name am I supposed to do?
I'm mad salty right now. I play Parasoul on point btw.

MK egret, super jump -> block.

Para kinda sucks at dealing with projectile zoning, so frequently in this matchup at full screen, if one Para can start the zoning, the other is going to eat a fair amount of chip.

Is the PC version worth getting when you have nothing but a keyboard? I've only tried the demo, but I'm getting tired of waiting for the XBLA version to come back on and I have no idea when it will (damn... should've tried it when I had the chance), and the demo also seems to have been removed as well. I've been playing Darkstalkers/Vampire Ressurection for awhile now and its very hard to find any matches in this game, and I've been getting my ass kicked badly in Street Fighter 4; so I was thinking of switching to something new for a change, and I lead myself right to this game (only to find out its gone from XBLA).

The only part I'm iffy about are the controls, since I've never played a fighter on a PC before and I have no controller besides a mouse and a keyboard.

some people do well on a keyboard and you can always plug your xbox pad into your pc.

and you can always plug your xbox pad into your pc.
Not if ur controller is wireless and you have no 360 wireless receiver for ur PC, *wink, wink*

Not if ur controller is wireless and you have no 360 wireless receiver for ur PC, *wink, wink*
You could always go and buy one. They're, what, 11 bucks online?

Reactions: evilben
Thanks for making this real hard on me, Skullgirls team. Your characters are so fantastically well done that I have a hard time to pick which one to play the most.

Mainly interested in Valentine, Ms. Fortune, Cerebella. Forum, please help me pick. I don't think these characters have good synergy together and I heard a long time ago that you'd just get blown up in a 3 man team.

Also, what's the state of the game now? Only playing on steam, if it matters.

Is this the right thread? It says beginner questions, I'm a beginner...

Status
Not open for further replies.