• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember throwing this together for something insane in the Wulf Den. It's probably a bit over the top and my description maaaay make it seem a bit more excessive/complicated than what I was picturing.

"Crowd Pleaser" [excess version]

Beowulf rushes forward and then does an uppercut motion with the Hurting, if it connects he launches the opponent upward like a rocket. While the camera zooms back to Beo his eye glints, he rears back, 3 afterimages follow the motion. He lets out a howl, an image of the moon appears behind him. He jumps up incredibly fast to catch up with the opponent and continues upper cutting them 3 times. Lands another uppercut that sends them higher. He quickly rebounds off of the edge of the stage walls and then grapples the opponent. He rockets downward and lands with the opponent painfully onto a wrestling ring that has appeared. He and the opponent are in the Kinniku /Muscle Buster pose as seen in this vid provided by Denizen:

Also King's version of the Muscle Buster:

"Crowd Pleaser" [Truncated]

Beowul thrusts Grendel's arm forward like a ram. The opponent, if struck, flies backward into ropes resembling a ring. They are flung violently back towards Wulf who stands ready armed with The Hurting. Just before the opponent collides with Wulf, in a fluid motion, he swings the Hurting upwards and rockets the opponent upwards. Camera switches back to Wulf as he slips on his hood, yelling intensely. He leaps and intercepts the falling victim, they both violently spin towards the earth until slamming into the ring in the kinniku buster pose. A pause. Then a burst of lightning appears with a championship belt in the background.

Since I was directed here. Will Beowulf have the fastest normal run speed since one of his inspirations was Fuerte? Or will he have a command input that allows him to run? That's one of the key things I want to know because inputting Fuerte's run can get kind of obnoxious after a while.
I speculate that Beowulf will be move at a speed a little slower than Fortune's and then have a command dash that moves him faster than her but slower than Double's command dash. On the second page of this thread is my "Hunting Sprint" idea. You should look at that.

Reactions: Calypsx
I hope Cerebella and Beowulf have some interesting lines since Bella has a crush on Beowulf.
*Here's an idea for a line I just came up with*
Beo: Your goin down
Bella: I don't see a problem with that

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I hope Cerebella and Beowulf have some interesting lines since Bella has a crush on Beowulf.
*Here's an idea for a line I just came up with*
Beo: Your goin down
Bella: I don't see a problem with that
Ehhhh...
Beowulf (tagging in): That was good, here's some pointers

Reactions: Zombies8MyLeg
For s.mp I think he should do one of those ol' backhanded chest-slaps that I used to see on WWE (man it's been years since I watched wrestling)

s.SP- a short hop forward into an overhead to armed smash.

c.HP: A launcher based directly off of Kanji's launcher from Persona 4 Arena.
Kanji's Launcher.png

Didn't someone say they didn't want Beowulf to be like Kanji?

Mike_Z I presume. He wrote these concepts himself didn't he? Also today I learned that commas don't work in quote citations. said:
Gameplay Inspiration
Tizoc (Garou: Mark of the Wolves), R. Mika (Street Fighter series), Macho Man Randy Savage (WWE), The Ultimate Warrior (WCW), King (Tekken), El Fuerte (Street Fighter IV), Captain America (Versus series), not Kanji(Persona 4: Ultimate)
So yeah, I don't know if that's sarcastic or if he specifically does not want him to be anything like Kanji.

The only thing that matters is he should slap his chest when he kicks and stomps when he punches.
HOW DID WE ALL FORGET ABOUT THIS?!?

A palette or a reference here or there wouldn't hurt, this is Skullgirls after all.

I mean gameplay though Zen. I think Beowulf's launcher should be like King's snap uppercut, where just a quick uppercut sends the opponent into the air. This would show Beowulf's strength, otherwise I could see him using the Hurting in some way when he actually has it on him.

This would show Beowulf's strength, otherwise I could see him using the Hurting in some way when he actually has it on him.
Sorry I keep forgetting that Beowulf won't have The Hurting all the time.
By the way, how do you all think the animators will handle Beowulf and The Hurting? Will it be the same with Fortune's head where they will have to edit the chair out of all of his frames, or will they make it a 3D model?

I imagine Beowulf to have a lot of animations and moves with his hand(s) in a clenched fist. Though they would probably need the 3D model, I imagine it would add much range to him if they did it.

Edit: Ah, just realized I probably should've added the "the chair is in the clenched fist" part

The Chair is truly an extension of Beowulf's being.

Is there already a concept for his level 3? What I could think of a potentially good level 3 is that he will sacrifice his recoverable health and gain unlimited armor. The length of time for the unlimited armor is determined by the amount of red health he sacrificed during the super's execution.

This concept is from a tradition of wrestling where the face will be beaten badly by the heel wrestler then they'll suddenly gain huge amounts of energy by "hulking up" and they'll be no-selling every attack their opponent makes to turn the tide of the match. You might as well call the super "No Sell," "Wulf Up/Out," or "Second Wind."

What I could think of a potentially good level 3 is that he will sacrifice his recoverable health and gain unlimited armor. The length of time for the unlimited armor is determined by the amount of red health he sacrificed during the super's execution. This concept is from a tradition of wrestling where the face will be beaten badly by the heel wrestler then they'll suddenly gain huge amounts of energy by "hulking up" and they'll be no-selling every attack their opponent makes to turn the tide of the match. You might as well call the super "No Sell," "Wulf Up/Out," or "Second Wind."

This is actually a really cool idea. Almost the antithesis of what the idea for my Lvl 3 idea for Courage Wolf is, where armor (or even damage) is forsaken for speed, greater combo/reset opportunity, and low increasing of undizzy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaverickHunterX
This is actually a really cool idea. Almost the antithesis of what the idea for my Lvl 3 idea for Courage Wolf is, where armor (or even damage) is forsaken for speed, greater combo/reset opportunity, and low increasing of undizzy.

It could be possible that the level 3 could have all of those bonuses and remain balanced as long as all ends meet, or he can have two level 3 blockbusters like Painwheel or one of them could be a level 2.

It could be possible that the level 3 could have all of those bonuses and remain balanced as long as all ends meet, or he can have two level 3 blockbusters like Painwheel or one of them could be a level 2.

This would be fantastic. Having the option to hulk out and turn the match around or go high flyer to continue his momentum really fits the wrestling guru that Beowulf is imo.

I agree with both you and codeN1nj4 here. I would think that these supers as level 3s though. Both have the ability to completely overturn the course of a match.

About the Beowulf's stage, i think in an obvious ring, with a lot of public (in shadow, to not need drawn everyone). In the stage we can have a judge (like Kuroko in Samurai Showdown), reacting to the battle (scoring hits, marking a KO, etc.)

Like a ring stage, i think to be the "cheer background sound" in the start, blockbusters hits and KO, at last (like Sodom stage in Final Fight or the circus stage in Captain Commando). This can ruin the Yamane's music, or can be part of the music!

About the Beowulf's stage, i think in an obvious ring, with a lot of public (in shadow, to not need drawn everyone). In the stage we can have a judge (like Kuroko in Samurai Showdown), reacting to the battle (scoring hits, marking a KO, etc.)

Like a ring stage, i think to be the "cheer background sound" in the start, blockbusters hits and KO, at last (like Sodom stage in Final Fight or the circus stage in Captain Commando). This can ruin the Yamane's music, or can be part of the music!

I would like the stage to be ring too. However, my ring is a bit more...fantastical.

I would like the ring to be set in a snowy forest with a night sky backdrop, full moon backdrop, with NPC's on some bleachers. Maybe even have it in "Gigan" territory that Beowulf won from Grendel. I think it would also be sick if the posts were made out of bone and in the tree line the silhouettes of wolves with glowing eyes wait watching.

This idea was actually well liked by Beowulf fans back on Old Skullheart. I wonder if that consensus has stayed the same

It's remained the same for me Forge.
However there's a fundamental problem with that sort of stage. If you look at every stage currently in Skullgirls you'll notice that they are all in New Meridian City and they all take place on the same day, the day that Skullgirl Bloody Marie launches her attack on The Medici Mafia. The only exception is Class Notes.

If we're coming up with stage ideas then we should keep this in mind.

HOW DID WE ALL FORGET ABOUT THIS?!?
I'VE LITERALLY BEEN MAKING POSTS THAT BEO SHOULD HAVE SELL MOVES!

how has no one seen my posts?!

that's it, I'll be in my trailer!

It's remained the same for me Forge.
However there's a fundamental problem with that sort of stage. If you look at every stage currently in Skullgirls you'll notice that they are all in New Meridian City and they all take place on the same day, the day that Skullgirl Bloody Marie launches her attack on The Medici Mafia. The only exception is Class Notes.

If we're coming up with stage ideas then we should keep this in mind.

Then have it be in the park of the city. Central Meridian Park anyone? City Backdrop behind the trees with no snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
Then Have it be in the Park of the city. Central Meridian Park anyone? City Backdrop behind the trees with no snow.
A stage based on Central Park? That's the best idea I've heard so far!

Well, my idea can be used even in a Central Park ring! Only cut off the public (at least, a lot off).

We still can have some public, a judge and the "cheer background sound"!!

what if he had a sell move that allowed him to build meter?

Here are just a few moves I thought up quickly that may get the creative juices flowing. Didn't give too much thought to balancing if they seem a little overpowered lol.

s.LP: Beowulf delivers a swift headbutt to the opponents face
- Who doesn't love a good headbutt?

c.MK: Beowulf lashes out with a kick, hooking his opponents ankle and dragging the leg towards himself (throwing them off balance)
- Close ish range
- Low to Medium damage
- While it wasn't exactly the question, having a normal that affords some sort of command normal or special setup would be pretty awesome in my opinion
-- c.MK > forward + up + HK: Beowulf swiftly launches himself into the air as the opponents attempts to recover. From here he has the following options
-- j.LK, j.MK, j.HK: A series of dive-kicks that either send him backward slightly, straight down, or forward slightly or have different damage properties
-- LP+LK: In air grab
-- ADC: Beowulf may be afforded an ADC during this maneuver or have its use buffed in some way

s.HP (Hurting only): Beowulf gives his opponent a series of good smacks with the hurting
- Similar to Val's s.HK it chains three times
- Low to Medium damage
- Decent reach, good for spacing
- Third strike animation: overhead strike to the opponents dome
-- Puts the enemy in to a stagger state

s.HP (w/out the Hurting): Beowulf snatches up his opponents, crushing them with his macho man strength while headbutting them several times
- Command grab that leaves the opponent in a stagger state

Here's an idea- what if beowulf ramped up and jumped during his running command grab if he hits the hurting in the middle of it? You would get a grab with an arc as a result. You would have to give it some really good qualities to make it worth the set-up in the neutral, of course, but it would be cool and emphasize the use of the hurting in his grappler stuff.
It would also have some good synergy with that command grab I mentioned earlier where you slam them into the hurting.

Last edited:
Reactions: codeN1nj4
The best normal move would be him signing an autograph.
I'd like to see that as a win animation, he casually signs an autograph and let's it float down to his opponent's unconscious body as he walks away.

I'd like to see that as a win animation, he casually signs an autograph and let's it float down to his opponent's unconscious body as he walks away.
Like Dudley's rose?

Here's an idea- what if beowulf ramped up and jumped during his running command grab if he hits the hurting in the middle of it? You would get a grab with an arc as a result. You would have to give it some really good qualities to make it worth the set-up in the neutral, of course, but it would be cool and emphasize the use of the hurting in his command grab stuff.

This may be a great way to use the c.MK follow up options I mentioned in my previous post from neutral as well. I can just imagine Beowulf command run into the Hurting, scooping up the chair as he takes to the air. Rocketing in on his opponent Beowulf latches on with an air to ground grab, Akuma flipping them into the Hurting for Horseman's command grab XP

I must be bored lol.

I'm thinking about Beowulf and find something... he are a Samurai Showdown character!!! Mostly because all SS character have a weapon sprites and a unarmed sprites!

With this think, my judge-like-Koruko idea are better :P

Status
Not open for further replies.