• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So "selling" is the term for how beowulf will fight then, and selling is fake wrestling? Hmm
I knew he wasnt going to be all that serious but I kinda wanted to see some real stuff oh well

In pro wrestling terminology, "selling" is the act of pretending to be hurt by your opponent's moves.

Wrestling selling is smart and adds to the sarcastic little shit appeal A++

Arcana if you don't have anything constructive to say then take it to The Wulf Den or somewhere else entirely.
Honestly you're being a real drag.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
is this not the thread to talk about gameplay and our opinions of it? last I checked it was

There's a difference between constructive criticism and constantly whining about the same thing over and over again, especially if your doing it just to be annoying.

Last edited:
Good lord, selling in the context of the game is just over dramatic hit stuns and crowd hyping. And since when was ripping the arm off of a giant demonic creature in anyways not serious. I highly doubt he did it for the lulz. I'm sorry and if it was a "selling" contest eliza won that cause she sneezed out her brain. Beowulf will have some comedic attributes to him because that's how lab zero makes thing.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Think of it this way, Zen: All of the "selling" Beowulf has been doing was in regards to his hurt animations and the prospect of a counter using a fake tears scenario.

He isn't selling the crowd in the "Well this fight is obviously fake, but I need to make it look real" sense by faking his attacks, he's selling the opponent in the "I literally have a grandma that can fight better than you, so i'll make you think you're winning for now in fairness, but then it's MY turn" sense by pretending he's getting really hurt when he's actually just really bored. Think of it like Elizabeth in P4A, and how all her hurt voices are all just sarcastic "ow"s and "oof"s and "ouchy"s.

Remember that unlike the other characters who are either supposed to make short work of people already weaker than them or are just civilians in the first place (or, in cases like ex-cop Band or thief Fortune, try their damnedest to avoid fights altogether), Beowulf fought people just as strong or stronger on equal terms as a career choice. He may not be as well equipped in the powers/weapons, but he's just a guy with a chair, and you don't hear HIM complaining about all these Parasite users and giants and ninjas and cyborgs and animal-people and mobsters and Skullgirls and...

ANYWAY, to keep on topic, I wonder if Beowulf's Hype mechanic will be a permanent buff like Frank's level ups, or if it's just a limited time super buff like Turnabout Mode or Hatred Install.

ANYWAY, to keep on topic, I wonder if Beowulf's Hype mechanic will be a permanent buff like Frank's level ups, or if it's just a limited time super buff like Turnabout Mode or Hatred Install.

It'd be cool if it's like HOS and he has an entirely separate meter for crowd hype.

It'd be cool if it's like HOS and he has an entirely separate meter for crowd hype.

I don't think it will be permanent. I think it'll be like taunt where when you use it, it's gone, but you can get it back. This will just have different levels depending on how loud the crowd is in the background.

I also think it will just be based on sound. I think somewhere in the past Mike Z said he would never add extra bars for characters... could be mistaken.

i was thinking that the hype meter would be used sorta like a form to ex special moves, at the cost of some hype. So let's give Beo a move where he makes a hurting cyclone and that move could use hype to make it possible, or hype could power it up so that instead of it's last hit throwing the opponent away that it sucks them in and leave Beo at positive frames. Sorta like Ryu's ex tasu. that could be cool.

Stuff.
See this I'm fine with. It figures that it's one of my wolves that understands what I'm talking about.

He's looking beautiful so far.

j.HP better be a god damn elbow drop.

I'm curious what the downside to not having The Hurting is.

I'm curious what the downside to not having The Hurting is.
Having the hurting - a projectile and being able to combo off your heavies.
No Hurting - huge, powerful attacks with armor, but they've got huge startup and you can't followup, you also lose his chair throw and whatever else it can do.

(They haven't said what hurting can do, but it's been compared to Captain America's shield enough that I assume it's got a shield toss equivalent)

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
What's the difference between rendering Beowulf's chair and rendering Big Band's saxophone and Eliza's staff? Sorry if I sound inexperienced with 3D rendering.

I'm not sure really. It probably has something to do with the fact that the chair will eventually detach from his belt.

Reactions: Redblaze27
Yeah, its not going to be a constant on the character.

realsovietdamage.gif
So THAT'S what "Real Soviet Damage" means!
Mike Z is gonna main Beowulf, no doubt about it.

This selling conversation gave me all kinds of cancer..and I'm typically the kind of guy who exhausts himself over this kind of thing.

Really it boils down to this. While Selling is basically fake reacting to an attack or overreacting to an attack to give it more impact and suspend belief...within the context of skullgirls Beowulf isn't exactly faking or anything. He did by all means rip Grendel's arm off and his hits are clearly doing damage as witnessed by the health bars..and he might even be sandbagging just a bit. It's just how he is. He's all real in a manner similar to the protagonist from no holds barred or real life wrestlers when they are acting within kayfabe (wrestling reality). He is the larger than life wrestler just doing what he does. And maybe he is performing, but that ambiguity is part of the charm.

I mean nobody ever over-analyzes how zangief has miraculously not killed anyone with a piledriver yet. It's like any other reference in sg. It's not meant to be taken super seriously..and if you get the references awesome. If not it doesn't exactly take away from the character.

Last edited:
He's like Azrael from bb. But not a douche.

One day, I'm gonna figure out how to put a gif as the art on my stick and make it powered by the USB cable instead of a battery.

One day, I'm gonna figure out how to put a gif as the art on my stick and make it powered by the USB cable instead of a battery.

When's the Kickstarter? I'll fund that shit.

Reactions: Skeleton
That sounds dope as hell. You know what you could do is make the art on your stick one of those images that change depending on which way you look at them. I forgot what they're called, it's like holofoil or some shit.

what about like a holofoil dick stick then

Dick stick featuring every skull guy in the same position, but depending on the angle you look at it it's a different skull guy. - original character do not steal!!! xxxxx

Did they already made the moveslist yet?
I want to input a move...
:DP: :LP::LK: - RKO (Welp this needs a better name)
A command throw where Beowulf RKOs the opponent from Grounded or Anti-air.

Grounded version - Sends the opponent in a Bound state, can be used as a starter.
Anti-air - Goes like an ender, can follow up with Cr. :MK:

For reference sakes, this would be based off Randy Orton's RKO

yeah Beo's movelist is done. all they are doing now is animating the moves and making sure everything will fit in together. the likely hood for Beo to have an RKO is low. like very very low. Beo's beat em up grab looks like it's going to be the only grab that Beo will have. They will have branching command normals off his grab so maybe a j hk command could be an RKO, but we'll have to wait and see. Alot is already on the guy. thanks to the Hurting.

Reactions: Mag
Although it was totally in the concepts they showed for the character early in development.

xcf5ShK.jpg

Oh I know. But the key word here is concepts. the move is not writen in stone. But if the move is in the game I am going to say the command for it would be beat em up grab -> HK and it coulbe be done in the air or on the ground. ( Basically a Move that can be reused saving precious time and money. )

I just don't think we have any way of ascertaining likelihood here other than personal opinion at this point. Imo it would be very surprising for a wrestling themed character to have very few actual wrestling moves.

Reactions: Denizen
I for one would enjoy for the counter to be his unique defensive option, just like BBs parry.

I've heard some people talking about Beo's palette 4 and 5 recently, and I was wondering where that would've been shown?
Did I miss a Salty or animation stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.