• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Groovy
Reaction score
i8oWuMG953qCn.jpg

Last edited:
Er, Um, well, this is rather embarrassing.

Well I wonder how he'll feel when we get to play him?

Knowing his fighter inspirations, he'll be a charging grappler.

Knowing his fighter inspirations, he'll be a charging grappler.
By charging do you mean charge commands? Cause that is going to really fuck me up considering he'll be my main and I'm bad with charge commands.
I'll learn it if I have to though. Which of his inspirations are chargers?

Last edited:
By charging do you mean charge commands? Cause that is going really fuck me up considering he'll be my main and I'm bad with charge commands.
I'll learn it if I have to though. Which of his inspirations are chargers?
No, I mean running at your opponent like a bat outta hell. Considering Beo has both R. Mika and El Fuerte as inspirations can give some indication he will run straight towards or at least use the hurting for a charging star (a la Captain America) to absorb damage and get closer to lay his hands on the opponent.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
Now that's more like it, a relentless assault from all directions! Forward, forward forward!
Speaking of which, it seems that Beowulf won't be completely helpless at a distance if he draws inspiration from Captain America right?

Now that's more like it, a relentless assault from all directions! Forward, forward forward!
Speaking of which, it seems that Beowulf won't be completely helpless at a distance if he draws inspiration from Captain America right?
well, its probably safe to say he can use the hurting as a running shield.

Last edited:
well, its probably safe to say he can use the hurting can be used as a running shield.
THIS I like. I now consider The Hurting more of a defensive/tactical weapon. Have you ever tried to swing a folding chair? It's actually really awkward, but as a SHIELD folding chairs are awesome. Considering that The Hurting is indestructible it would make the perfect shield. Perhaps Beowulf could have some sort of command block where he doesn't take chip damage!

Reactions: Kuzlalala
Ew. Ew ew ew. That is really gross, why would you say that?

original.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavama
Ew. Ew ew ew. That is really gross, why would you say that?

original.gif
Let's face it, we will all have poo-pants once Beo is revealed.

pXko4lG.gif

If I see that in game, my pants will become brown and wet.
In what kind of move, though? Even though one idea I've thought of is that Beowulf would sit like that when switching into another character, but that'd be too much of a stretch.

In what kind of move, though? Even though one idea I've thought of is that Beowulf would sit like that when switching into another character, but that'd be too much of a stretch.
Maybe as an intro Kuzla!

But the problem is that in the gif, the guy ends up sitting on a chair, while in introducing characters, they end up standing up. Perhaps it'll be better if the intro starts with Beowulf sitting on the Hurting, and then he proceeds to stand up and equip it.

Considering that he will have a special tag in, tag out, and assist mechanic I bet he could do that when switching to a different characters. At least in reverse he could. But it's highly situational and probably wouldn't be put in.

Tag in Cerebella while next to the chair:
f66.gif

Sorry I couldn't find one with his face on it.

As for his intro he doesn't need to sit in the chair after he sets it down, maybe before the fight starts the player could have the option to start with or without the chair in Beowulf's hands. Sort of like how you can choose whether to start as Zelda or Sheik in Super Smash Brothers. But that I think is a stretch.
I hope he has the quote "This is going to be good." Sort of like how Fortune says "Can I have a cheeseburger?"

I was thinking more like a win pose, sort of like the Filia Flag.

Throw chair into ground like Sol's sword.

Reactions: WayForger
I hope the chair can have absorb functions so we can throw and run without fear of getting hit in our run.

I hope the chair can have absorb functions so we can throw and run without fear of getting hit in our run.
I think it can, but then it can fall over.

I also hope Beowulf is super ground combo heavy....

I just want a character that doesn't rely on aerial combos because I fail completely at them all the time....

A fair winner. Beowulf is gonna be a great addition to the game. When he is out of the fight I'd like to see him sitting in the background (like Squigly's tomb), that would be awesome.
Which is where the chair image comes in.

Posting this from the Wulf Den forum. I believe, in the spirit of Eliza being started, we as a community should start thinking about Beowulf's moves. How about everyone makes their own normals and specials for him? Then group together and come to a consensus on what we would like to see as his supers. We should also discuss possible mechanics, movements, and balancing for him. Although L0 might not take all that we say and put it into Beowulf's final design I do believe they do look at fan ideas for some inspiration.

You heard the Moderator, we need to get to work on giving Beowulf some moves, let's start with something easy.

Special Move: Chair Set
:QCB::LK:,:MK:,:HK:
Beowulf takes The Hurting and sets it up in the standing position. Where The Hurting is set will depend on which button is pressed, similarly to Filia's Ringlet Spire. Someone should give this move a better name.

beo's light punch needs to be a parody of the parody of wrestler's punching and stomping at the same time. he needs a sell parody anyway amirite?

Building of of Zen's idea...

Special Move:
Setting up Shop, Take a Seat
:QCB::LK:- The Hurting is unfolded directly in front of Beowulf. Can be used in junction with Beowulf's throws for greater damage.

:QCB::MK:- The Hurting is set then kicked forward to about a 1/3 of the screen away. The Hurting slides at a medium pace and acts as a shield for 1 projectile hit. If it hits the chair causes the enemy to take a seat in the chair for the duration of the slide only to be flung out for a hard knockdown.

:QCB::HK:- The Hurting is set and kicked full screen at a slower pace than the MK version of this move. When hit, the enemy character is seated much like the MK version, and it will also seats assist characters. This leaves the opponent in a sitting state where they are put into a sitting stagger state.

If anything I want Beowulf to be a bookworm and make his standing LP involving slapping books.

If anything I want Beowulf to be a bookworm and make his standing LP involving slapping books.
What books would he use? The one from Double's ending? Beowulf? Slaying Vampires for Dummies?

More honestly though, I'm not a wrestling fan, and outside of my Dad being friends with Arn Anderson in High School, there's not an idea of what to use here. Except for things involving the chair and what-not. Like what if the Beowulf player misses should WayForger miss, and then Beowulf uses the missed chair in a super, where he grabs the other player and throws him/her into the chair, and drop kicks it. After the other character goes flying, Beowulf picks up the chair and gets back to his normal pose.

Special Move: Wolf Dash
:QCF::LK:,:MK:,:HK:
Beowulf initiates a simple forward dash. It has no armor, but it's fast and has a wide variety of followup moves. The distance of Beowulf's dash will depend on which button is pressed. Pressing another button during his dash will initiate a new move.
For example, :HP: may initiate a high hitting clothesline, :HK: may initiate a low hitting slide that dodges projectiles, :LP::LK: may initiate a special grab. Every command will have a purpose during Beowulf's mad dash to victory.

I'll go into detail about this later, but if Beowulf dashes into a standing Hurting he will automatically vault off of it and expand his attacks into the air. Also, if Beowulf attacks The Hurting with one of his Dash Attacks the chair may attack with some special properties of it's own.

The Wolf Dash will be the key to Beowulf's fighting style. (Once again I welcome a better name)

Special Move: Wolf Dash
Sounds like a strong dashing :PUN: of El Fuerte. I don't play SSf4 much, but was el fuerte an effective character? If not, how does this move differ from his to make this character effective?
I like the name.

Good eye Broseidon, that's exactly what I was going for. El Fuerte is one of Beowulf's Gameplay Inspirations so I hope that means that he'll have a similar command dash. I only played SF4 for a couple weeks but the whole time El Fuerte was my favorite character. I'm no expert by any means, but I've seen some very skilled use of El Fuerte.

I just want Three Wolf Moon to be his lvl3. That's all I want. I don't even know what it would be. I just want him to say it.

Courage Wolf as his lvl1 buff would also be nice.

--------------------

Other move names could be:
  • Canine Strike
  • Lupine Dash
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Awwwoooooooooo!
  • Romulus Fist

Last edited:
I just want Three Wolf Moon to be his lvl3. That's all I want. I don't even know what it would be. I just want him to say it.
One time at Salty Cupcakes Alex Ahad began listing some possible supers for Beowulf.

Possible Beowulf Supers
1. Beowulf uses Grendel's severed arm as a gigantic punch.

2. Beowulf summons a storm of chairs to rain down on the enemy from all directions.

3. Beowulf drinks a gallon of Tuscan Milk, howls at an image of the moon, and proceeds to hit the enemy with a Triple Wolf Moon Uppercut in which images of wolves appear.

Yeah Alex Ahad actually said that last one, I wish I could find the archive video of it...

I believe a lower to the ground, arms open dash would be key to Beowulf's movement.

Special Move: Hunting Sprint
I would prefer this move be like Cerebella's with a charge :B::F: into :LK:,:MK:,:HK: rather than a QCF.

I could Beowulf's forward dash being more animal like, maybe involving his hood coming on if that where not used for the "buff" super that I'll go into. It has no armor, as Zen said, and the dash itself is faster than Bella's tumbling run to the point where a blur effect could be used on it. The distance of the dash is about 2/3 of the screen automatically, against the idea of distance depending on which button is pressed. If Beowulf dashes into a standing Hurting he will automatically vault off of it.
:LK:- "Wolf Dash" The quick slide that was shown as a concept for Beowulf done by Alex. This will be low enough to the ground to dodge tears, gunshot, and Peacock projectiles. It, much like SaberWolf's dash in KI will actually go under the opponent for cross up potential. However, it will not be hit or grab invincible. In the air this move turns into a flying body press.
:MK:- "Rising Claw" Beowulf's sprints into a dragon punch. This shoryuken however keeps the opponent close and can lead into some sort of air grapple chain that finishes with a Muscle Buster. In the air this move turns into a downward fist that bounces the opponent like Parasoul's :B::HK:.
:HK:- "Paws to Chest" the HK version of the dash will be a sprinting drop kick that knocks the opponent into a hard knockdown. This move is invincible when Beowulf is in the air (about 2 frames or so) and will also put the player into a hard knockdown state. While in the air this move becomes a spinning air drop kick that is similar to Tommy's spinning sky kick @1:13
:LP::LK:- I would like to dub the dashing grab "The Kidnapping," this grab will have a likeness to Firebrand's moving grab. Beowulf grabs the opponent with one arm and grinds them into the ground, dragging the opponent until the duration of the sprint finishes into Beowulf throwing the opponent for a wallbounce. The air version of this move could be a hurricanrana stylized grab! Basically this (I know it is ridiculous and probably impossible to animate):

Also, if Beowulf attacks The Hurting with one of his Dash Attacks the chair enters a spinning state that either doesn't move (LK) or spins across screen (MK & HK). When hit with LK it will spin projectiles back and force characters turn the opposite direction they were facing at that time. MK & HK sends forth the hurting as a mobile wall that will knock them down into an OTG state.

Last edited:
Beowulf getting a kidnap could be kinda neat (as long as its a hit grab like firebrands and not an actual grab) although not having runstop is a pretty big drawback

I can't be alone in my hope that Beowulf will pull out grendels arm for a super, can I? What would be better than a move like "blast from the past" where he fits the arm onto the end of his for a super punch, or Biblical Beatdown, where he just crushes, smacks, claws, flips, and punches the shit outta you with the arm.

I love the idea of a more beast like dash, I think his dash as well as every move branching off it should be done with his wolf hood on. Now we just need to figure out what it will actually look like. Will he run on his feet or on all fours, if not then how hunched over will he be, what's his arm position like? I would prefer that his dash look like a natural, low sprint with his arms pumping as hard as they can.

This is just a personal opinion, but I'm really against his dash being a charge input. Besides the fact that I suck at charge inputs, I don't want his dash to be too similar to Cerebella's. Also charge inputs take more time than QCF inputs and I would like Beowulf to be as fast and precise as possible. I also stand by my idea of run distance being judged by which button is pressed.
I feel like it adds more control.

Last edited:
I think beo needs a move where he sells. but he cant sell too much or he'll get pelted with stuff from the crowd... in the foreground which we can't see.

Huh? Whaddya mean I haven't said my idea on this forum yet? Oh, whatever.
*ahem*
So, Beowulf so far (at least to me) seems to have two specific mechanics to him at the moment (possibility of using old mementos from past fights ala Phoenix Wright style is what I see from some of his descriptions, but it's never stated). That is him setting up his chair on the battleground and his unique tagout into the background.
Now both of these have one thing in common, they're stationary. Beowulf seems to be revolving around the idea of needing to stay around one specific area, whether it be around his chair as Beo or near Beo himself when looking for the tag.
Obviously the opponent would try their hardest to keep Beowulf away from where he's supposed to be, but there's a way to prevent that from happening.
That would be if Beowulf had a way to stop the screen from moving. Say he activates the super, and a wrestling bursts out of the ground or falls from the sky. Preventing both of the players from moving the screen for either a limited time or until one is K.O.'d. Like a super version of Squigly's special, except based on lockdown.
With no one leaving, it works best in Beowulf's favor due to the necessity of needing to make sure that the action stays near his belongings is eliminated.
Beowulf would probably have special moves in the ring, if it's considered not enough for a super. Jumping off the ropes, getting a referee to do....something, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.