• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the chairs match right now because of copy paste palettes, they eventually won't. Don't worry about that.

Hop j.HP is a good mixup judging by Darkstalkers and other games with hops. Plus in THIS game you can bait pushblocks with it and then punish the backdash. Don't fret, Zidiane.

I was just worried that hop hp was just not gonna connect and add nothing to the character, but I'll be satisfied if it'll make him more interesting on offense.

I highly doubt that hopdash j.hp feint is a good strategy. As soon as you see it, you know it won't hit cause it will never hit so you can just counter with jab into combo (at worst you get combo'd, at best they're plus). Doing it is you basically saying "I'm not going to block for 16 frames and hope they don't know that I can't block or decide to reversal".

Load up Vampire Savior and mess around with QBee's IAD or Sasquatch's dash hop. It's a good tactic on it's own for high/lows. It gets scarier when the character capable of it has a great command throw to use after the feint/empty hop, and it sounds like Beo will have good throw tools to work with.

For an SG specific frame of reference, consider how many people can recognize and reversal their way out of a Filia IAD airthrow whiff, let alone defend the subsequent mixup if they didn't mash it. Moreover, even if a reversal did work, how many people get baited into mashing the next time they see that?

Painwheel also uses this quite a bit, and although hers is a bit deeper with unfly and armor on the table, the basic premise is the same.

Last edited:
It's weird finding all these resets without having command grabs to do them, but I'm not complaining about his reset potential at all. One that I found in the corner involves a j.MK after a MP chair toss after a launch, it resets them perfectly for a HP hit-grab. I don't know how this will translate into grabs like DD or 360s, but it's a start.

Don't know if anyone found this yet but Hop MP will whiff and hop over crouching Squigly (only works on Squigly) at point blank range so it may be possible to use time to time for a mixup since you land cross up (not hit cross up). However I feel this is gimmicky due to the slow start up (ie: needing to dash to get a hop MP).

Some resets I came up with in training mode:
cr.LK, cr.MP, cr.HP (chair)
j.LP, j.LK, j.MK

• Hop MP (while opponent falls, lands cross up) > cr.LK, etc
  • cr.LK (after opponent lands, blocked), Hop MP (lands cross up) > cr.LK, etc
  • j.LK (hits cross up) > cr.LK
EDIT:
Added a video of it and tested all characters, only works on crouching Squigly (at close range).

Last edited:
Reactions: Colossi
You mean crossup or overhead?

You mean crossup or overhead?
I mean you can whiff a Hop MP to land on the other side of the opponent.

ie: It doesn't make contact with the opponent so you land cross up (not hitting them cross up). I edited the post to make that more clear.

Oh, k. I didn't have time to test it, and since hop MP is an overhead, I thought that it was what you meant. Sorry.

Bit of an annoying issue with Beowulf's F+P throw ender and assists. He holds the opponent behind his head, so the assist will track the opponent and face the wrong way.

I was in training mode and I noticed that I couldn't do Hop.LP or Hop.MP. I'm one of those weirdos that uses two punches in order to dash, and I also map LP and MP to my L1 button as a Macro (I use a PS3 controller by the way).

It turns out that after Hop Dashing with two punches you can't use the punches used for dashing as a hop attack.
I wasn't sure if this was just a problem on my end but I tested it anyway by changing around which punches to use for the dash and the problem remained consistent.

Last edited:
I talked to Muro about it and it seems like the problem is that I have to make sure to let go of the LP+MP Macro before hitting LP/MP because the game will think that I'm still pushing the button. It have to let go of it immediately. Can't push a button if it's already being pushed. It's a pain but I don't know if there's much that Mike can do about it.

Yeah, you can you just have to do it really fast. It is certainly possible to do but I've actually mostly been doing hop dash stuff with 66, especially during combos and resets.

I sort of suggest you learn to dash in both ways anyway, it is much easier to do dash links and microdashes with 66, than buttons for example. Though I would still use button dashes during neutral and for any airdash characters.

Reactions: Denizen
New move. Press P in grab mode to headbutt them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wenzel

Bit of an annoying issue with Beowulf's F+P throw ender and assists. He holds the opponent behind his head, so the assist will track the opponent and face the wrong way.
Same thing occurs with his super when DHC'ing. If you DHC (tested using Bella's Diamond Dynamo) during the middle of the Beo's super animation (in the process of wallcarrying), the DHC will track in the opposite direction even though he's not facing that direction. The only way to DHC in the proper direction is to DHC at the end of the animation (which has a little tricky timing but is doable with a bit of practice).

I found a bug today with Beowulf's headbutt.

http://imgur.com/a/7Q81m

From chairless j.HP, you can glitch the grab by hitting down + P on the ground and do an infinite amount of headbutts. Grab tech doesn't work and the only way to get out is if Beowulf moves anywhere but forwards. Sorry I can't get a video.

From chairless j.HP, you can glitch the grab by hitting down + P on the ground and do an infinite amount of headbutts.
Oh my god you're right.

Not sure if this has been said already, but Beowulf gets layered behind the chair anytime he goes into grab mode. Not a huge deal, although it's noticeable and it seems like the chair should remain behind him in these situations.

Reactions: Wenzel
I can't kill with the headbutts, is this intentional?

Oh I forgot to mention that Grendel's Arm Super goes right over Sekhmet while she's crouching.
By the way what do you guys use to record?

Oh I forgot to mention that Grendel's Arm Super goes right over Sekhmet while she's crouching.
By the way what do you guys use to record?

Open Broadcasters Software.

So I don't know if it's just me, as I'm still relatively new to SG, but Beowulf seems like the hardest character to play. I made very simple combos that do decent damage, but I've seen people with a bunch of really tricky combos that I can't get without beating my head against a wall. When playing him in matches, I have a hard time getting anything done, and lose a bunch even when I get multiple combos out. I also find it very hard to grab people and properly utilize grab mode. Again, this could all just be me being terrible, or Beo not having all his tools yet, but he seems very challenging. Does anybody have any tips or advice about him?

All chair moves are decent pokes. It's hard to but is possible to convert off of chair dance. He has low,throw,and, overhead options. Quickly input down+P to convert off of chairless j.hp.

Is it considered a bug if Beowulf's Headbutt counted as two hits after grabbing someone after they do their special?

Is it considered a bug if Beowulf's Headbutt counted as two hits after grabbing someone after they do their special?
did his hood happen to come down?

Hold on, lemme grab the patch notes.

- Added Headbutt in grab mode (neutral + P).Now we're getting there!Counterhit grab gives 2-hit version. (This will probably not stay on CH, the 2 hit version is destined for greater things.)
There you go

Reactions: SkullMan
It's my fault for missing that piece of detail. I sincerely apologize for this.

The Michiko & Hatchin opening, you have good taste. Yeah the counter grab leads into two hits, the animation will have Beowulf's hood come down and the teeth will slash the opponent.

Not sure where to post this. Just found out Beo's super whiff's against fillia's ringlet. just tossing this out there, i know he's still being adjusted unless this is just how it is.

i recorded it at 50%, when the super whiff's filia can punish.

Not sure where to post this. Just found out Beo's super whiff's against fillia's ringlet. just tossing this out there, i know he's still being adjusted unless this is just how it is.
This is likely just how it is.

I guess it's gonna be the same for crouching Sekhmet, I don't really mind.

yea i really dont mind at all. since you can still DHC to punish.

i recorded it at 50%, when the super whiff's filia can punish.

What would you suggest to "fix" this? She's not even anywhere visually near the attack.

Not suggesting or asking for any kind of fix. none is warranted, it is what it is. Its really not a problem at all. I was just curious if it would change in the end.

Reactions: Denizen
It would look funnier if he passed through her though!

so, what is the practical/optimal use for headbutt so far?

Using for extra damage where you can.

Use as often as possible.

Be aware of how long your grab mode is.

Status
Not open for further replies.