• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dash Grab currently gives you the longest amount of time in Grab Mode.
Enough time for four headbutts and a ground finisher.

YOOOOO, THAT AIR TACKLE, THAT NEW GRAB, THOSE ANIMATED GRAB MODE FRAMES.

when I saw "Lunging Grab" I instantly thought of you. I think you said you wanted to just charge at people chairless right? :D

when I saw "Lunging Grab" I instantly thought of you. I think you said you wanted to just charge at people chairless right? :D
What I always wanted was a special that gave Beowulf mobility and and Mike Z already more than delivered that with the Beast Cannon move. This Lunging Grab is icing on an already very delicious cake.
Also you don't need to be chairless to do it, it can be done with or without The Hurting.

Reactions: KidPanda
I think optimal with Beowulf is really short combo into reset or full combo into throw mode j.2P then some kind of setup.
I agree with you and this is what I've been trying to do with this character. What do you like to do after the j.2P finisher? I did find that you can do crossup after it with j.LK, but I feel like it's seeable, and I don't see a way to make it a fake crossup. When I played @Flotilla in Beowulf mirrors, I got him with that once and then he blocked it every other time.

I kind of like the 2K finisher more. I feel like you get more ambiguous left/rights off that (which can maybe double as safe jumps? Haven't tested it enough to say). You can't always do that finisher though since you need the chair. It's only recently you've been able to combo into it without an assist (ground string -> tackle -> OTG c.MK -> 2K finisher).

oh mai gaw!

I was secretly hoping for air tackle... and he's gone and done it. beauty-ful. cant wait to try some ideas later tonight.

yea beo seems to have enough strings for long combos but also seems to have enough tools to generate enough short combos into decent rests and setups.

You are always showing me love on here with the videos and I thank you for that my friend lol

What I always wanted was a special that gave Beowulf mobility and and Mike Z already more than delivered that with the Beast Cannon move. This Lunging Grab is icing on an already very delicious cake.
Also you don't need to be chairless to do it, it can be done with or without The Hurting.
I was more referring to how you yourself wanted to play him without the chair

I got one question. Can/Will the tackle lunge be able to go through projectiles?

I got one question. Can/Will the tackle lunge be able to go through projectiles?

Probably not, he has enough to deal with them. Chair stops them, he can tackle into the air so he can avoid them, his Grendel's arm normals have armor and his super has invincibility. Tested to make sure though and they don't currently.

I agree with you and this is what I've been trying to do with this character. What do you like to do after the j.2P finisher? I did find that you can do crossup after it with j.LK, but I feel like it's seeable, and I don't see a way to make it a fake crossup. When I played @Flotilla in Beowulf mirrors, I got him with that once and then he blocked it every other time.

I kind of like the 2K finisher more. I feel like you get more ambiguous left/rights off that (which can maybe double as safe jumps? Haven't tested it enough to say). You can't always do that finisher though since you need the chair. It's only recently you've been able to combo into it without an assist (ground string -> tackle -> OTG c.MK -> 2K finisher).
I like either call assist and go for a hop j.LP or empty hop low/throw OR beast cannon mixups, I haven't really tested how unsafe beast cannon mixups are yet, but it is really ambiguous because the startup is the same.

New grab should add a world of new mixups.

EDIT: Also safe jumps are possible but I haven't found any consistent setups, I was looking for a good 4 hours or so at one point. Hop, hop is sooooo close but nope

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts
found a bug with the cross up detection. If they block down back wulf cannon it signals cross up and it definately is not.

I noticed that I sometimes had trouble inputting a special/super after the wulf cannon.

This took a while to get because the input for the super would not go through sometimes

I'm guessing it just has to do with him switching between facing left/right in the middle of my input or something that caused me mess up, but when I tried doing something like c.LK, c.MP, HK, 236LK>8K>3k, I can't seem to input my super in either direction.

I noticed that I sometimes had trouble inputting a special/super after the wulf cannon.

He has a good amount of recovery when landing.

He has a good amount of recovery when landing.
At the time, I'm noticeably not in cooldown from the attack when I try to do it.

Looking at grab mode times. Using Headbutts to gauge time.

w/ chair grab: 4 headbutts
w/o chair grab: 3 headbutts
air grab: 5 headbutts (if done low enough)
qcf grab: 5 headbutts (chair or no chair doesn't matter)
c.mp: 2 headbutts (chair or no chair doesn't matter)
w/o chair s.hp: 2 headbutts

Looking at grab mode times. Using Headbutts to gauge time.

w/ chair grab: 4 headbutts
w/o chair grab: 3 headbutts
qcf grab: 5 headbutts (chair or no chair doesn't matter)
c.mp: 2 headbutts (chair or no chair doesn't matter)
w/o chair s.hp: 2 headbutts
I imagine the LP+LK with and without chair are going to end up the same.

Hope so. Gotta post my findings first, though.

I messed around with the 2K grab finisher a bit more, the jumps you get are safe as heck. Went for a meaty j.HP after and Bella raw tag didn't do anything to it, neither did wake up Fiber Upper. Stuff like SSJ probably beats it but I think it's safe against most reversals and you can make the left/right pretty ambiguous.

Reactions: dMags
Is chair cossack dance suppose to trigger undizzy? I would think its an ender.

So what does the orange hitbox on Tackle mean again?

So what does the orange hitbox on Tackle mean again?
In means "collision that can go through the opponent if you're the last thing that hit them and they're in hitstun".

i some how missed the part in the notes where if you are chairless you will take chip damage if you block normals. I don't know how to feel about this... on one hand it's good, and on the other it feels slightly weird even if it is only 50 points of chip. eh... the guy gets armored normals so it should balance things... kinda. I like the bulldog in how it's the go to finisher for damage. I'll try to see if i can find anything that seems weird or wrong in this patch (i won't expect to find any because Mike is kinda the best at what he does but hey that's why beta is there)

I'm really liking how Beo is turning out in the beta, but is he supposed to grab the opponent when he's airborne and while beowulf is chairless and using c.MP? (or MK, can't remember)
Also, any idea on other interactions with the chair apart from picking it up from ground?

the only idea I was thinking about was how it would be if you could be able to throw the chair (quarter circle etc) even while chairless and very close to it, but that's really just an idea

I'm really liking how Beo is turning out in the beta, but is he supposed to grab the opponent when he's airborne and while beowulf is chairless and using c.MP? (or MK, can't remember)
Also, any idea on other interactions with the chair apart from picking it up from ground?

the only idea I was thinking about was how it would be if you could be able to throw it (quarter circle etc) even while chairless and very close to it, but that's really just an idea

Crouching meduim kick chairless is an otg grab. Just like standing hard punch and jumping hard punch chairless are hit grabs.

Crouching meduim kick chairless is an otg grab. Just like standing hard punch and jumping hard punch chairless are hit grabs.
You don't need to be Chairless to have cr.mk do it's otg hitgrab.

You don't need to be Chairless to have cr.mk do it's otg hitgrab.

Woops, you're right. I should probably not avoid that button as much as I do...

can we just rethink what Beowulf has to offer in terms of setups and oki?

the first hit of m.chair whiffs on crouch blockers unless if you're Big Band. oh and remember that chair hits high on the way down.

on another note, Beowulf doesn't have much for true blockstrings. Ending with hp/hk is unsafe and doesn't lead to a true blockstring when canceled to chair or tackle.

Was kind of hoping the chair would do a bit more once placed other than be used to cancel normals.

I remember from a past stream that Mike showed that landing on the chair with some finisher would cause extra damage, what happened to that?

Obviously Beowulf isn't done yet and Mike is planning more with him, but that is my reaction up to now.

Was kind of hoping the chair would do a bit more once placed other than be used to cancel normals.

I remember from a past stream that Mike showed that landing on the chair with some finisher would cause extra damage, what happened to that?

Obviously Beowulf isn't done yet and Mike is planning more with him, but that is my reaction up to now.

IIRC, the demo you're talking about was when he ahd auto chair pick up, and im p sure beo just picked it up because he landed near it. I could be wrong, but in any case the chair slam thing just hasnt been implemented yet and it was just said it was GOING to cause more damage.

It is possible to dash hop air throw by plinking lp~lk, even though it is not possible to do it normally (Like with other things that cancel into normals but not throws)
Excuse the poor cropping

yeah... best to be used just like excerebella in to stop the opponent from jumping away from you.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Back+Any Button while in grab mode and in the air is the only remaining dead combination.

You mean Kudome Valentine, give the crazy Japanese lady her due

It is possible to dash hop air throw by plinking lp~lk, even though it is not possible to do it normally (Like with other things that cancel into normals but not throws)
Oh, that's neat. I'm not sure if I should fix it.

You mean Kudome Valentine, give the crazy Japanese lady her due
Those first few looked really painful, like "Oops" painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.