• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
By exclusive to him I meant his normal throw alone, hitgrabs and mid combo grabs won't make him a grappler

sorry ;_;

I can't see him as a grappler tho!

Might be a weird suggestion, but as MP[MP] is +9 on hit and +4 on guard with a hole in the middle and overhead I guess it is made for resets.
As such to make liking with cr.LK or whatever else could the mic fall on the ground could be synchronized with the end of the recovery to have a visual clue of the timing ? Right now I'm half guessing when the mic" is on the middle of the fall.

Hmm maybe not, the timing right now feels "natural". Dunno.

Lugon, shut up, I'll kill ya! o_O'

de geso.PNG

umm *COUGH,COUGH*
Here's some stuff I've made (not promoting anything): http://groudon100.deviantart.com/gallery/51725681/Ika-Musume-Squid-Face

Now that Beowulf is done I'm still not sure I know how to use the Geatish Trepak finisher. I initially used it as a means of executing a crossup on wakeup but now I'm not so sure that's correct. Is it meant for something else or just a finisher that's flashy?

Reactions: Mike_Z
Two updates ago I noticed that that extra hit on Beowulf's Canis major press finisher that happens after you perform Airwulf with three hype levels is gone. The one where the penguin referee slides out and does a countdown. Whats up with that? There is no update notes or anything.

Two updates ago I noticed that that extra hit on Beowulf's Canis major press finisher that happens after you perform Airwulf with three hype levels is gone. The one where the penguin referee slides out and does a countdown. Whats up with that? There is no update notes or anything.
Count down only appears if they have low health.
Might be like, 3.5k?

Count down only appears if they have low health.
Might be like, 3.5k?

I see. Thank you for a fast reply. Can't say I like this even though it does make sense thematically.

There is no update notes or anything.
From the update notes:
"- Canis Major Press Pin will only happen when winning the round; requires maximum hype and checks by applying 3500 damage, subject to damage scaling and character ratios. tl;dr if a 3500 damage regular attack would kill them at that point, you will get the pin."

Can't say I like this even though it does make sense thematically.
Oh well!

J5XaaMN.png

Is the underside of his chair supposed to be pitch black in his win pose? Only on his Riker(sp?) color palette.

Is the underside of his chair supposed to be pitch black in his win pose? Only on his Riker(sp?) color palette.
Isn't that the magnet on his chair?

Isn't that the magnet on his chair?
Yes it is.

By the way, Is there a point to holding the snap back besides disrespect?
Either way I like it.

Yes it is.

By the way, Is there a point to holding the snap back besides disrespect?
Either way I like it.
Depletes Wulf's undizzy meter

Reactions: JordantheKitty
Depletes Wulf's undizzy meter
Wow that's really good.

I mean useless for me since I ain't good enough to build up undizzy, but still.

Wow that's really good.
I mean useless for me since I ain't good enough to build up undizzy, but still.
Um he's kidding, undizzy falls off over time.

@Mr. X why are you fucking with me
What it actually does is makes the timer tick down closer to 0.

What it actually can do is get you a different win pose if you do It after the round is over.

Beowulf is my absolute favorite character. He's like, the amazingest. Anyway, I have a few things.
One of my favorite things to do now is to geatish trepak to a wulf shoot and excellabella assist at the same time. With it, it seems like the only way to beat it is if I miff the timing or they use a wakeup blockbuster. Is this true, or have I just been playing against buns? Because if it is true, that seems a bit silly, even though I'm not complaining.
Secondly, if your opponent is close to death and you let time run out during Wulfamania to use Wulf Press Slam, the opponent will not die. Is this intentional, or a bug?
Third, I propose that killing a character by dropping the mic on them should max out hype. Suurre, it might seem unfair, but it'd be incredibly amazing, right? And it only does 200 damage unscaled, and if you can effectively use Pipe Bomb you'd probably have high hype anyways, and, and, hype... i'm not serious about this
there should totally be airhorns that go off when it happens

I see. Thank you for a fast reply. Can't say I like this even though it does make sense thematically.
If gameplay is what you're worried about, don't be. The much better option is to use a Diving Wulfdog and then use a Grendel Killa (or geatish trepak depending on your needs) once you hit the ground. It does more than 3500 damage, and only uses up one level of hype instead of all three.

Beowulf is my absolute favorite character. He's like, the amazingest. Anyway, I have a few things.
One of my favorite things to do now is to geatish trepak to a wulf shoot and excellabella assist at the same time. With it, it seems like the only way to beat it is if I miff the timing or they use a wakeup blockbuster. Is this true, or have I just been playing against buns? Because if it is true, that seems a bit silly, even though I'm not complaining.

It's a good reset every now and then, but you will get blown up super hard for it if the opponent does a reversal super and it plows through both of your characters.

A few characters also have throw invincible attacks like Peacock and Cerebella that you would need to watch out for.

With it, it seems like the only way to beat it is if I miff the timing or they use a wakeup blockbuster. Is this true, or have I just been playing against buns?
Um?

Specials:
Filia - Updo
Cerebella - Horns
Fortune - H Fiber Upper
Big Band - H Beat Extend
Peacock - L Bang
Parasoul - Napalm Pillar
Double - L Bomber

Supers:
Painwheel - Death Crawl
Squigly - Daisy Pusher
Eliza - Lv3 :^P
Valentine - Flatline
Fuku - BFFs
Beowulf - Gigantic Arm
Robo - will have something throw invin (^.^)

Everyone:
Tag out

Additionally, if they jump and your command throw whiffs through their jump startup then Excellabella is blockable on the way up.

So yeah, you're playing bu[m]s.

Reactions: JordantheKitty
Oof. Well, I at least mentioned the wakeup blockbusters. Also, I could have sworn that more of those specials were vulnerable to grabs, but I'm not about to argue with you of all people about the game mechanics. I suppose I'll just put it away as another thing I can do for a Geatish Trepak mixup. Thanks.
Also, I did mean buns. It's just a weird thing of the BnB Steam group I'm in. Very nice fellows.
In addition, you seem to have ignored what I said about the Pipe Bomb kill. Hmmmm. Clearly you just don't want to give it attention because you'll keep it as a surprise that way when you actually put it in the game. Don't worry, I won't tell.

Oof. Well, I at least mentioned the wakeup blockbusters. Also, I could have sworn that more of those specials were vulnerable to grabs, but I'm not about to argue with you of all people about the game mechanics. I suppose I'll just put it away as another thing I can do for a Geatish Trepak mixup. Thanks.
In Training Mode, if you have hitbox display on or Attack Data set to Advanced, you can see what the invicibility of moves is. White = invincible to all, yellow = invincible to throws. You don't have to guess.

In addition, you seem to have ignored what I said about the Pipe Bomb kill. Hmmmm. Clearly you just don't want to give it attention because you'll keep it as a surprise that way when you actually put it in the game. Don't worry, I won't tell.
Yes, I generally ignore bad/joke suggestions. I wouldn't have responded to this bit, but you brought it up again.

Reactions: TechPowah
Ohh, right. I forgot about those. I remember seeing them early on and going "bllaahrrhrhrhh colors what does it meeaann" and proceeded to ignore it. Oh well, messing around in the fight lab is fun. I don't think I'll mind messing around even further with everything. I just hope my red/green deficiency doesn't get in the way, since I could have sworn that "yellow" was the color of hitstun...

I just hope my red/green deficiency doesn't get in the way, since I could have sworn that "yellow" was the color of hitstun...
Yellow IS the color of hitstun. You can't be thrown while in hitstun = throw invincible. :^)
I differentiated red and green a while ago for that reason though, hopefully they were differentiated enough.

Yellow IS the color of hitstun. You can't be thrown while in hitstun = throw invincible. :^)
B-but... Hit grabs... Can you use hitgrabs on "throw invincible" moves, too?
Also, at least for me, I can tell the difference between the green hurtboxes and the red hitboxes fairly well. Presuming that's actually what those are.

Yes.
Go into training mode and do 236LK as Painwheel vs Peacocks L Bang.
Hit grabs 'hit' the opponent first with a regular attack then do their cinematic grabs second.
When you block them that's why they don't activate.

(For all fighting games, with specific exceptions like KOF allows comboing into throws but not from jump-ins, SG/GG allow comboing throws during stagger, etc.)
An attack has two parts - how it connects, and what happens after it connects.
How it connects is either a "hit" or a "throw". What happens after it connects is either "hitstun" or a "canned animation".
With those four things you can create:
hits (hit + hitstun)
throws (throw + canned anim)
"hitgrabs" (hit + canned anim)
and uh, I guess "throwhits" (Remy's throw in 3s, among others).
There are no other distinctions, although there are different rules applied to "hit" and "throw" actions in different games.

If the attack part is a hit, then: you can combo into it; it can be blocked; it will connect no matter whether the opponent is grounded or airborne; and it will not whiff unless you are STRIKE invincible. Hits connect by touching any green box, so they will hit limbs.
If the attack part is a throw, then: you cannot combo into it (except in special situations); it can't be blocked; it can be dodged by being in the appropriate state (ground or air) because throws will not hit both; it will not whiff unless you are THROW invincible. Throws connect with your physical extent box (dark blue in SG), so they will not hit limbs.

Hitgrabs, being a hit followed by a canned animation, will connect vs limbs.

If the result on success is a canned animation, then armor is useless against the attack because you will always be put into the canned animation if touched. (Some hitstun hits break armor, that's a separate property.)

In SG training mode:
Strike invincible = light blue (same color as stand blocking, only outside of blocking)
Throw invincible = yellow (notice stagger is not yellow)
All invincible = white.
(Projectile invincible = orange; passing through opponent = extent box is orange instead of dark blue.)

Hope that helps.

Whoa. So, firstly, I really appreciate your incredibly informative wall of text. It's pretty awesome. I always like learning about this stuff (yes, research is hard and boring and not nearly as cool as talking to mike_z about it)

and uh, I guess "throwhits"
Would Geatish Trepak (beowulf :D:+:K: from grapple with chair) count as a throwhit? It starts via throw, and it causes hitstun and gives ips bursts if applicable. My first thought when you said "throwhits" were the quick grabs in most 3D fighting games where you just knee the opponent once for baby damage.

If the attack part is a hit, then: you can combo into it; it can be blocked; it will connect no matter whether the opponent is grounded or airborne
Okay, but... What about moves like Excellabella that only hit airborne opponents? That's a hitgrab, right? And it even causes the little white "your grab registered but didn't connect because some reason" effect if you use it on a standing opponent. And when you said that certain hits break armor, does that include Excellabella working on any rising opponent even if they're blocking?

Whoa. So, firstly, I really appreciate your incredibly informative wall of text. It's pretty awesome. I always like learning about this stuff (yes, research is hard and boring and not nearly as cool as talking to mike_z about it)
It's not as cool for me, see, cuz I'm the one having to explain it after making an entire training mode display so I wouldn't have to explain it, because you think it's cooler to ask me rather than look yourself.

Would Geatish Trepak (beowulf :D:+:K: from grapple with chair) count as a throwhit? It starts via throw, and it causes hitstun and gives ips bursts if applicable. My first thought when you said "throwhits" were the quick grabs in most 3D fighting games where you just knee the opponent once for baby damage.
No, cuz a real throwhit wouldn't break armor or behave in any way that a regular hit wouldn't. It would just interact with your throwable box. Those are canned animations that end in a hitstun, but you still go through the canned anim. I'm not sure a throwhit exists anywhere cuz it's not really a useful thing.

Okay, but... What about moves like Excellabella that only hit airborne opponents? That's a hitgrab, right? And it even causes the little white "your grab registered but didn't connect because some reason" effect if you use it on a standing opponent. And when you said that certain hits break armor, does that include Excellabella working on any rising opponent even if they're blocking?
In SG training mode's Advanced Attack Data, HIT attacks are red boxes and THROW attacks are purple boxes. Now you can check rather than asking!
Excellabella is a hit (will grab limbs) that is also unblockable if your YVelocity is greater than some value. Hits can have special properties about when they work or are blockable, but that doesn't change that they're a hit vs a throw since it's which box type they interact with.

Beowulf, gameplay wise, as he is in the beta, is what he will be in retail right?
So he's done, right?

When the opponent is at full Drama, using Airwulf: Wulfdog into Trepak lets the opponent burst out of trepak. Is that supposed to happen?
@Mike_Z

When the opponent is at full Drama, using Airwulf: Wulfdog into Trepak lets the opponent burst out of trepak. Is that supposed to happen?
Yes'm, Trepak is a series of hits rather than a grab, so it is burstable (like the last hit of Excellabella). And the parts of his grab strings are separate attacks, so Trepak always counts as being over 240 if done when you're over 240. It being a super doesn't trump that.

Ravid said Beowulf hitting 360 on Friday as well. Aww yeah. #NoConsoleLeftBehind

He is released on all 3 platforms, just not all regions. Locking thread. Someone anyone make the new thread and get the party started.

Status
Not open for further replies.