• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

EC VS The World 10v10 @ Combo Breaker 2016

Seriously though guys, we need to do this BEFORE the tournament.
I'm going to do SNS on (shocker) Saturday night. This 10v10 by no means has to happen on that stream, this is Pat's thing, after all. People mentioned SNS, is all, so I popped my head in. That's just when I'm doing my stream (if the opportunity exists for me to do so; CB2016 obviously has no schedule, at the moment).
I'm interested in commentating.
I also think this is a good idea.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
The world can decide on commentators all you want and rotate however you guys like.

Munoz
Warped if he isn't on the team
Broken Loose if he isn't on the team (and if he goes)

Is all we need for us.

I feel like we can make it happen on Saturday night, so long as the tournament continues on Sunday people should still have the fire to play.

SNS gives it more exposure. My plan was to just phone record/capture card that shit Friday night so SNS would totally be the way to go in comparison xD

The world can decide on commentators all you want and rotate however you guys like.

Munoz
Warped if he isn't on the team
Broken Loose if he isn't on the team (and if he goes)

Is all we need for us.

I feel like we can make it happen on Saturday night, so long as the tournament continues on Sunday people should still have the fire to play.

SNS gives it more exposure. My plan was to just phone record/capture card that shit Friday night so SNS would totally be the way to go in comparison xD
  • I will take your commentary suggestions into account.
  • People chose Saturday for the main tourney last year, because the Sunday option was too early and killed hype. Unless we get way more entrants this year (or some others get way less), I think Saturday is a reasonable guess on when we'll be playing again this year. SFV is going to absolutely dominate. All I'm saying is that we definitely shouldn't go off the assumption that we're playing Top 8/16 on Sunday, so people need to make peace with that now, and then they can just be surprised if it turns out otherwise.

Well one thats not taking it into account the captains have the right to commentary, on top of the teams, on top of the team order it all comes in full circle.

Yeah we'll see what happens. If top 8/16 is on Sunday we'll do SNS, if its all done on Saturday we'll do it Friday.

Well one thats not taking it into account the captains have the right to commentary
Yeah, I don't think that's a right. Like you said, though, you can always run it another time if that's what you prefer.

Then we'll make a short list. We'll start with last year's SNS commentators and cut it down from there.
I, uh, didn't commentate SNS. :^)

I guess I mis-remembered, then. I took your involvement for 2016's SNS as a given, frankly.
Well, I did do everything else. Team announcements, post-match interviews, and playing. I was a very busy and very tired boy.

But you KNOW I'm there for 2016.

Pos can be one of the commentators for the world if the team captain wants to do it. The plan is to have the EC pick the best commentators for them, and the world picks the best captain for them. Thats how its supposed to work, if thats not cool we'll just run it on Friday and you can find something to fill SNS.

Thats how its supposed to work
I guess this is what I need clarification on. It's supposed to work that way because why? If the answer is, "because I want it that way," then no, that's not sufficient for me. But if there's some deep-seeded FGC thing I'm just not aware of, I'm at least willing to humor that notion.

It makes the most sense for the sake of keeping the "World vs the EC" thing thats happening, it goes with the theme.

But whatever we'll run it Friday, so you can figure out what you're doing for SNS just like last year xD

Anyway for the people actually taking part in this.

@fenster since @Duckator hasn't said anything you'll be team captain, up to you to set up the team and how you'll do it. You guys can talk amongst yourselves as a team to how you feel about who needs to be where or who needs to be captain etc.

Let me know if you have any questions <3

you can figure out what you're doing for SNS just like last year xD
I'm just going to assume you misspelled, "thanks for helping me out by streaming my team tourney last year, Kai! I really appreciate it!"

In which case, you're welcome. Best of luck with your 10vs10.

Reactions: POS Industries
Kai cmon don't turn this into anything I like you ;__;

Join me team world I will lead us to victory

Join me team world I will lead us to victory

Can't BELIEVE this I AM your father its actually Star Wars.

Hopefully he can just PM me if he has anymore to say, i'm over wasting space about it here. Way more worthwhile things to talk about.

LIKE WHO THE FUCK IS GONNA SHAPE UP THE WORLD TEAM CMOOON XP

I'm just going to assume you misspelled, "thanks for helping me out by streaming my team tourney last year, Kai! I really appreciate it!"

In which case, you're welcome. Best of luck with your 10vs10.
Are you a streamer?

The real question is who is going to teach me how to properly tie my shoes this year?
What are laces I use velcro.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
@ W O R L D

If no one is interested in stepping up, @Dolfinh has nominated himself for captain. I feel he will be the best and most organized for this position, and its up to you all if you feel he deserves a spot on the team or whatever up to you.

If no objections it can be him or @fenster since he also expressed interest.

Can I be a captain in the sense that I don't play but I just yell at my team for not going good enough and maybe bust out the occasional motivational speech?

Reactions: keninblack
FYI me being captain does NOT automatically put me on the team / I would not force myself on the team. I would be considered like any other potential candidate and the world would discuss it together.

My method for deciding the team would probably be to brainstorm a list of potential candidates (positive-energy discussion, so "x player would be a good pick" instead of "y player would be a bad pick") with the other world players then do an anonymous googledoc voting (east coast since I know you guys want to have the strongest possible opponents, you are welcome to help with this process as well).

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts
Alright its settled @Dolfinh is captain.

@EFHRK Will be co-captain of team "ignorant" alongside me, Munoz, and potentially Broken Loose.

I am more then willing to play a part in collaborating in helping you decide the team Dolfinh, before anyone screams "sabotage"...

I want this 10v10 to be amazing, YEARS of trying to get something like this to pop off to have it not, I can FEEL that this can happen. I don't want this to be a blow out on EITHER side. I want the BEST POSSIBLE team vs the BEST POSSIBLE team, and I will help make that happen in anyway I can.

I'll go ahead and make a list of potential world team candidates. Obviously please remind me if I forgot someone because I tend to forget strong players.

We probably won't want to have our final roster confirmed until way closer to combo breaker, but brainstorming now and figuring out who is or isn't going would be a really nice jumpstart.

Remember when brainstorming potential team candidates:

• Players should be strong and have solid results at recent tournaments. No SDE-only heroes and no one "out of the loop"
  • Candidates should be motivated to practice and show a drive to improve.
  • Candidates must not be in the east coast or be regular attendees of east coast locals.
  • Candidates should a strong understanding of neutral, the game's mechanics, matchup knowledge, and confidence.
  • Candidates have demonstrated the ability to play under pressure.
  • Candidates should have scary setups for a Best of 1 BEST OF 3 setting (as this is the format it will take place in)
  • Candidates have to want to participate. Negus, for instance, said he's not really interested in playing in the crew battle.
  • Candidates ideally can give good coaching / advice and show positive encouragement. This is a team, not just 10 strong SG players.
  • Candidates need to actually be attending combo breaker next year ("maybes" are okay for now).
  • You are more than welcome to nominate yourself just please talk a bit about why you would be a good player.

Let me try and get some of the obvious candidates here:

Edit: Went ahead and grouped these by region.
Edit 2: Updated with RemikZ and TBD
Edit 3: Added Domo and FuLLBLee D:
Edit 4: Uzu confirmed he cannot attend, so he has been removed. If you voted for Uzu and want to change your vote you can email me anonymously at DolfinhRk@gmail.com
Edit 5: Added Bang Camaro
Edit 6: Removed candidates already voted onto the team. Put candidates with few votes (Less than 4 vote points) inside the "secondary candidates" spoiler. You will still be able to vote for these in the Round 2 voting (after NEC) in the "Other" section.

ROUND 1 VOTES CLOSED. ROUND 2 (likely final) VOTES ARE FOR AFTER NEC.

Note that votes are not the only factor to who makes the team, not even close.

=================================================

REMAINING CANDIDATES:

[PNW]@Yaya - 2nd at NWM. Can't attend offline events very much but has shown through his NWM performance and various online tournaments that he is a force to be reckoned and can compete with the best players. Finally got his stick fixed, so he can practice again if he wants.

[SOUTH]@KhaosMuffins - The eternal solo fortune. Tournament wins against some of EC's stronger players. 5th at CEOtaku.

[East Canada]@worldjem - 9th at Summer Jam. 7th at EVO 2014. 7th at UFGTX. 9th at Combo Breaker. Very solid, consistent player with some tournament wins against strong EC players.

[MidWest]@Fuzzy_Snugs - 5th at UFGTX. 9th at Combo Breaker. Setplay oriented player, which is extremely favorable in a BO3. Extremely strong Squigly/Eliza player.

[MidWest]@fenster - 7th at NEC15. 9th at Combo Breaker. Tournaments wins against some of East Coast's strongest players. Extremely encouraging / positive force. Solo players are threatening in Bo1's. Will be competing at NEC this year.

[MidWest]@NCV - 13th place Combo Breaker, 5th Place EVO 2014. Considered one of the strongest painwheel players back in his prime. Is currently shaking off the rust and plans to grind out a ton in preparation for combo breaker.

[SoCal]@DawnHibiki - Aka Dawn111. SCR champion. Demonstrated his solid play through online tournament victories. Sent SIG to losers at Evo 2015.

[Colorado]@Hirokuni - 3rd place at CEOtaku. Recently demonstrated his ability to compete with the East Coast's best players. Tournament set wins over McPeanuts & Keninblack. Will likely be competing at NEC this year.

[International]@Mr Peck - 13th (or 9th?) at EVO 2014. Despite a rough showing at Combo Breaker Peck has been consistently proven to be a strong player, and from what I hear really tore it up in casuals at CB. Plays peacock. Will be competing at NEC this year.

[International]@CaioLugon - Brazil's finest CONFIRMED to be attending combo breaker next year. Without a doubt the best Fortune outside of NA in attendance and is an extremely encouraging player, going off of the help he gives in my stream chat. Very motivated player as well.

[NorCal]@Dolfinh - Hey that's me! 5th at EVO 2015. 5th at NEC15. 5th at NWM7. Favors hard-to-blockable setups for BO3 settings. Extremely motivated worker & as a personal plug i've done a lot to overcome my stage nerves that wrecked me so hard at this last EVO. ADHD now medicated for better focus. Will be competing at NEC this year.

CURRENT TEAM MEMBERS
[SoCal]@WingZero - 4th at Combo Breaker. Dominated the entire SoCal scene for about two years. Known for his Filia setplay, which could be at an advantage in a BO1. Encouraging force to have on the team.

[PNW]@Skarmand - 3rd at NWM (not 4th, thanks Yaya!), 9th at EVO 2014, 7th at Combo Breaker. One of the candidates for strongest player in the west coast right now. Extremely good at giving advice and is probably the most motivated player in the world in terms of activity / improvement. I can say from personal experience that he is an incredibly positive force both online and in person.

[SOUTH]@Swiftfox-Dash - Various Top 4 results at pretty much every major he's ever attended. Been around for a long time. Plays peacock.

[MidWest]@Elda Taluda - 4th 3rd (thanks sage) at EVO 2014. 5th at Combo Breaker. UFGTX champion. Arguably the strongest painwheel player in the USA.

[MidWest]@Duckator - Shouldn't need any introduction.

SECONDARY CANDIDATES (Less than 4 vote points in first poll). You will still be able to vote for these people in the "other" column.
[SoCal]@BANG! - 2nd at SCR 2015. Had an incredible run at EVO 2015, finishing in 4th place. Usually gets top 4 at salty.

[SoCal]@MegamanDS - Tournament / Exhibition wins against east coast players. 5th at NWM. Usually top 4 at salty when he attends.

[PNW]@Domo - 9th at EVO2014. 4th at NWM.

[CenCal]@Fosh - Hasn't attended many offline events but regularly plays online with some of this games strongest players and has personally proved himself to be a high level player.

[Vegas?]@trainedbydeath - Only person to take a game off of Sage in the most recent Sage kumite. Also got top 16 at Hello I am new player. Creator of various memes and will HK bomber everyone at round start.

[NorCal]@Biz Casual - Top 16 at both EVO 2014 and 2015. Tournament win against McPeanuts (although that was ages ago).

[MidWest]@FuLLBLeeD - 7th at NWM. 7th at UFGTX. I think 5th at Frosty Faustings? One of the stronger headless fortune players. FuLLBLee D:

[NorCal]@RemiKz - Made top 16 at EVO 2014 and finished 7th at EVO 2015.

[NorCal]@Beamsprouts - 9th at EVO 2015. Hasn't attended as many offline events but those who have played him know how strong of a player he is. Online tournament wins against Fuzzy_Snugs and Yaya. Plays Peacock.

REMEMBER, We want this discussion to be a positive experience free of personal attacks. Find reasons to say positive things about players you think are ideal for the team, not negative statements about why somebody you don't like / don't think is good should NOT be in the time.

Last edited:
IMHO

Obvious shoe ins are

-TJ
-Skar
-Hirokuni if he goes
-Yaya if he goes
-Taluda
-Duck
-Caio
-Wing

Everything else is maaaaaad close and even some of the shoe ins.

TJ/Skar/Taluda/Wing without a speck of doubt tho imo

̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

[Vegas?]@trainedbydeath - Only person to take a game off of Sage in the most recent Sage kumite. Also got top 16 at Hello I am new player. Creator of various memes and will HK bomber everyone at round start.
Hey I took a game off Sage at that :C

When/where do we play for our spots? I am seriously considering going to CB next year.

For sure. Can anyone confirm if NCV still plays or not? I didn't want to put him because i couldn't remember if he was still interested in playing SG.
Yeah! I'm still in there. Currently shaking the rust off. Would like to be a part of it for sure. Let's see how I do at FF before I say I deserve it more than various others in the world, at least depending on how many make it to CB.

When/where do we play for our spots? I am seriously considering going to CB next year.

You're FL so you fall under EC.

We have 3 qualifying tournaments at NEC16 up in Philly, and the 10th one will be a wildcard pick the other 8 members of the team and I will agree on.

TL;DR Go to NEC if you can booboo :3