• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

With the understanding that the concept art and what we have seen doesn't necessarily represent the final product, is this game going to have a ton of floating islands? Or large structures within floating islands?

I like it when game worlds have a sense of being cemented in the landscape and a real place you could visit if you can pardon the phraseology, and I'm not sure what this game is going for from what we have seen so far.

My question is, avoiding enemy encounter will be as simple as "jumping over him", or we will have enemies that will track me, or if i attempt to jump over them, they'll jump to force the encounter, or things like that?

Right now the monsters mostly just patrol a small area, but I think it's likely that we'll see different types of monster behaviors in the final game.

So, yeah, jumping over them will let you avoid encounters.

Also, BTW, if your inital attack does enough damage, it won't go into battle, and you can kill the enemies without fully engaging.

With the understanding that the concept art and what we have seen doesn't necessarily represent the final product, is this game going to have a ton of floating islands? Or large structures within floating islands?

I like it when game worlds have a sense of being cemented in the landscape and a real place you could visit if you can pardon the phraseology, and I'm not sure what this game is going for from what we have seen so far.

The floating island in the announcement trailer is Ajna's Inner Realm, the dimension manifesting inside her. I don't expect we're going to see much in the way of other floating islands, etc.

We'll have some more environment concepts in the IGG campaign, though, showing a variety of different lands. For example, a bustling Aztec-style city.

You're supposed to run all fanart past the developers before you post it online yeah. You could get sued otherwise
Wait, really? I thought you could just post it and state that the characters in there aren't yours but, just for example now, L0's and that all rights belong to them or something.

You're kidding?

Also, BTW, if your inital attack does enough damage, it won't go into battle, and you can kill the enemies without fully engaging.

This was really one of my favorite things. So awesome.

Actually, I do remember some years ago when people claimed Disney reps were patrolling Artist Alleys at cons and passing out warnings to vendors. Some popular artists said they were even getting flagged by them online. Don't know if that still happens anymore, but I know some cons started enforcing rules to limit fanart around that time.

Funny that a place called Lab Zero ends up being more open to creativity than a place called the Magic Kingdom, but that's how it goes.

Actually, I do remember some years ago when people claimed Disney reps were patrolling Artist Alleys at cons and passing out warnings to vendors. Some popular artists said they were even getting flagged by them online. Don't know if that still happens anymore, but I know some cons started enforcing rules to limit fanart around that time.

Funny that a place called Lab Zero ends up being more open to creativity than a place called the Magic Kingdom, but that's how it goes.
To stop shitposting for a sec, I think the rule of thumb is that if you're not charging money for your art, companies generally don't care what you're doing. If you ARE charging money, they might care, based on other things. If these vendors were charging for art of Disney characters then I can understand Disney having an issue with that tbh.

If these vendors were charging for art of Disney characters then I can understand Disney having an issue with that tbh.
Well, I remember it was kind of like the situation with Nintendo, and you could tell that as places like dA were becoming bigger, Disney was trying to flex its muscles in every direction they could. Cons ended up becoming a much easier target for them though, and justifiably so. Fanart sales had been going on for years, so it just caught a lot of people off guard.

Honestly, I don't think a $20 print of Vampire Mickey was doing anything to hurt Disney's bottom line, but yeah, it is still their property.

Well, I remember it was kind of like the situation with Nintendo, and you could tell that as places like dA were becoming bigger, Disney was trying to flex its muscles in every direction they could. Cons ended up becoming a much easier target for them though, and justifiably so. Fanart sales had been going on for years, so it just caught a lot of people off guard.

Honestly, I don't think a $20 print of Vampire Mickey was doing anything to hurt Disney's bottom line, but yeah, it is still their property.
I know another thing about copyright law that's weird is that if you don't protect your copyright you can just straight up lose it, and then anyone in the world can use Mickey Mouse for anything. Which I understand is the explanation behind most things companies do where you're like "why on earth would they care about this". Copyright law is wild

My question is, avoiding enemy encounter will be as simple as "jumping over him", or we will have enemies that will track me, or if i attempt to jump over them, they'll jump to force the encounter, or things like that?
This. If you can dodge them you don't have to fight them, but they will try to attack you and/or follow you depending on enemy type. The hungry ghosts can be easily jumped over, the Ahp not as much. Etc. If you hit an enemy you start with advantage, if you run into them you start neutral, and if they hit you you start at disadvantage.

Wait, really? I thought you could just post it and state that the characters in there aren't yours but, just for example now, L0's and that all rights belong to them or something.
You're kidding?
Nope. If you draw anything with someone else's character they CAN sue you, depending on how invested they would like to be in lawsuits.
And it is CERTAINLY in their best interests to do so, check out Keep on Truckin' for an example of why https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_on_Truckin'_(comics)
The idea behind copyright, like @mcpeanuts said, is that you need to protect it in order to own it. If you don't protect it, why should the law let you own it?

This is why companies generally prosecute if they see you making lots of money or think you can make lots of money from unlicensed derivative works. They're generally lax about it if you aren't making money, but that's only because they can only chase so many people at a time, not because they aren't allowed to go after you. And because it looks bad publicly, which matters. Look at Nintendo with broadcasting Smash at Evo! If Disney could simultaneously prosecute everyone making fan art or and not have it cost more than a couple million billion dollars AND not have it tarnish their reputation, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But they can't, so they don't.

In fact, look at the Copyright Term Extension Act, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act, lobbied for extensively by Disney because Mickey Mouse would have become public domain. (I'm waiting to see if they'll try for it again nearer to 2019, too.) Copyright is serious business.

Right back at ya mikey :PB:
Pink button?

Just to interject here, but it's really difficult to read these long posts in this style of quoting stuff only using italics. It's not a forum rule to use the Quote button, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier to read your posts!

There were a lot of things I wanted to respond to in his post and I wanted to make sure I was responding to each individual thing. I'm not super formating savvy so it was either that or quote his entire text.

Try doing, like, literally any research on Valkyrie Profile. Starting with getting the name right.

The game that came out when I was 6 on a console I didn't know existed at the time. I'm sorry I'm not going to go back and play a 15 year old game before I post on a forum. I've watched combat videos but tells me next to nothing about decision or resource management or anything.

Team techs in Chrono Trigger, ordering things like using a fire spell after someone else casts elemental weakness instead of before...there are reasons to wait, even if none are specifically built in to the system. Come on, now you're just being contrarian.

I'm really not trying to be contrarian, I just wanted to answer the question. I think I would prefer there being even more of an emphasis on time as a resource with things specifically built into the system to encourage that.

Mike looked up from his monitor, a single bead of sweat forming on his forehead. He knew he'd forgotten... something.

My God, he thought. The gameplay. I forgot the gameplay. Furrowing his brow, he began typing furiously. He had 6 days in which to create varied and strategic gameplay.

If only I'd considered this sooner, he lamented. Another bead of sweat began to form.
Well if you guys don't want to talk about the gameplay, we don't have to since we all know it's going to be good. I guess I just falsely assumed that combat would be a more interesting discussion than a dick measuring contest over who has the hardest language. What can I say, I'm an assumer. :^)
You do make assumptions, that much is clear. As the few dozen other people that liked the post clearly understood, my post was meant to highlight the absurdity of you asking the lead designer of the game a series of questions that were tantamount to, "so, are you planning on making the game fun, or what?"

If you thought that I was somehow trying to verbally showboat, you need to re-calibrate your sensors, because you are way off.
Right back at ya mikey :PB:
Stop. Your contribution to this discussion has been overwhelmingly unhelpful, so if all you're going to continue offering is teenage spite & disdain, just remain silent instead.

Off topic
The game that came out when I was 6 on a console I didn't know existed at the time. I'm sorry I'm not going to go back and play a 15 year old game before I post on a forum. I've watched combat videos but tells me next to nothing about decision or resource management or anything.
You say want to have a serious discussion about game design? Then doing that before posting is not at all an unreasonable idea. Your "pfft" dismissal of it says a lot about how seriously YOU take the conversation, and I'm not going to take it more seriously than you do. :^) Broken Loose's attitude aside, if you wish to intelligently discuss a topic, educate yourself about the topic. If you don't want to attempt to play it, there are FAQs which explain VP's systems in great detail, written to explain to people in your position EXACTLY how everything works. Pointedly beginning a discussion without knowledge is like...is not great. Analogies are hard.

I'm really not trying to be contrarian, I just wanted to answer the question. I think I would prefer there being even more of an emphasis on time as a resource with things specifically built into the system to encourage that.
And there are in Indivisible.

My point was, simply giving you the ABILITY to delay your turn at will / decide exactly when you will act relative to the enemy fundamentally changes how combat works, and you just sort of wrote that off. That by itself adds huge layers of strategy! Imagine if you could move as fast as you could think in chess, or not move at all, rather than requiring white/black/white/black. The ENTIRE GAME would change (maybe not for the better, but it would change). Chess had to add a rule about not being able to skip your turn just to explicitly prevent one part of that freedom! And that's without changing any of the other rules.

You dismiss things that might have a huge impact somewhat arbitrarily - you might want to examine why you do that. It makes it difficult to talk to you. :^P

[edit]
If there were questions in there I missed, please ask them again.

Last edited:
You do make assumptions, that much is clear. As the few dozen other people that liked the post clearly understood, my post was meant to highlight the absurdity of you asking the lead designer of the game a series of questions that were tantamount to, "so, are you planning on making the game fun, or what?"

If you thought that I was somehow trying to verbally showboat, you need to re-calibrate your sensors, because you are way off.
As Squire Grooktook has also said, I really didn't see Grangach assuming a whole lot in his post and I think there has just been a misunderstanding of what he was trying to say. He was saying "Here is why I normally find RPGs to be boring, so what are you doing in Indivisible to stop it from being like this?". I really don't see what about that or his (almost entirely polite) responses deserves the the tone that he has been met with (and as he has pointed out, at least he is talking about the game).

I know another thing about copyright law that's weird is that if you don't protect your copyright you can just straight up lose it, and then anyone in the world can use it.
Don't want us to stray off-topic too long, but just thought I'd mention that a relevant case actually happened recently concerning Hydrox Cookies. Kellogg's had been sitting on the brand for three years without doing anything with it, so once a guy got a statement from them saying that they had no current plans for the brand, that was enough for him to claim complete ownership of it. Now he's repackaging and re-releasing the cookies nationwide.

Sooo, on topic! Um......Ajna's...favorite cookie? Actually, SE Asian desserts are pretty boss. She might have really good taste.

There were a lot of things I wanted to respond to in his post and I wanted to make sure I was responding to each individual thing. I'm not super formating savvy so it was either that or quote his entire text.

If you highlight someone's text, a thingy will pop up below what you have highlighted that says reply. Hitting that will put a quote of specifically what you have highlighted into the box at the bottom it really makes everything easier.

On the topic of Indivisible, if you guys are gonna do backer palettes for the igg, is there going to be any worry of making sure each character has the same number of palettes or is it no big deal.

On the topic of Indivisible, if you guys are gonna do backer palettes for the igg, is there going to be any worry of making sure each character has the same number of palettes or is it no big deal.
I thought Mike said no about it

This is totally going off-topic, but I'll speak as a person who sells every year at Artist Alley, and there's always a bunch of misconceptions about this.

Fan art is somewhat a grey zone for both parties, but it is generally too much effort for the rights holder to actively enforce all instances of it, and fan art generally is beneficial for the IP, so there's little reason to ask for a takedown.
However, profiting (a significant amount) from fan art sales is when maybe the company will choose to enforce their rights, which is within their rights. If a company (Disney, Nintendo, and Konami are famous examples) is extremely protective of preserving the image of the IP, they will sometimes issue a C&D, but it's not too common.

However, the one thing that companies will most definitely enforce are their trademarks. If they cannot prove that they do not actively try to protect their trademarks, then they can be ruled to effectively lose the ownership of the trademark (then it becomes a generic trademark, like Kleenex). This is why you cannot slap on a logo of a game or show on your drawing without permission. Whenever I hear about company representatives snooping down Artist Alley, it is usually to check for use of trademark.

Copyright is complicated because the law has been revised so many times. If something is created right now (in the US), the creator cannot lose the copyright by not defending it. One of the cool things about this is that a creator CAN selectively choose whether or not to protect it for fan things or whatever. They would still be well within their rights to sue fan works, but they're not obligated to to keep the copyright. For the Keep on Truckin' Copyright Act 1909 thing, you could lose copyright just by forgetting to put the symbol on a published work. Yikes. But that's no longer true.

You can lose trademarks right now if they become generic (and in a lot of other ways). The (simplified) idea behind a trademark is to avoid confusion in the public about the source of something. Gerber is trademarked by both a knife company and a baby food company and that's fine because there's not much room for confusion. People might think the Gerber knife people also make the baby food, but it's not as likely as if there were another knife or baby food company called Gerber. If Gerber (baby food) did nothing to stop another baby food company that called its products Gerber, this might create confusion about the source of the products. Gerber (baby food) would be in danger of losing their trademark. Trademarks are based on trust. If I have established a good reputation with a brand name, it keeps others from taking advantage of my good reputation to sell crap. People can then trust the product when they see the name. If I don't defend the trademark, people can no longer trust it, so I lose it.

Trademarks offer stronger (but somewhat different) protection, so they're much harder to get, and much easier to lose. Similar to patents. Companies that own trademarks like Adobe live in constant worry when the public starts calling image editing Photoshopping, even if it was done with The GIMP. It doesn't affect how Andrew Hussie sleeps at night when you make fanart of his Homestuck characters. (He could still sue you, though. That much is true. But because he's not obligated to, and because it'd be super bad publicity, he's unlikely to.)

None of this has much to do with Indivisible, but common copyright myths get me fired up. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I know several people well in Copyright/Trademark/Patent fields.

Edit: Oh wow, looks like I got ninja'd be EU03... seems the forum only informs of new posts while writing one if you write in the thing below the posts, rather than the big window. Or... I just missed when it told me.

Wow, I take it back. This post I quoted right here is the most ignorant thing I've seen in this thread.

Did you know that Skullgirls is heavily based off a 15-year-old game? Did you know that skills in that game directly transfer over? Did you know that games don't just explode and disappear because you think they're too old, and Valkyrie Profile was rereleased mostly unchanged on PSP (Playstation Portable, it's a handheld device made by Sony between the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3, which are game consoles Sony made after the Playstation) to massive acclaim?

I can elaborate as Mike already said, time is a factor in battles because you not only have to juggle the stock your team has (that is building as time progresses), but you also have to juggle the super meter for blocking.

"Do I wait for another stock to build before I attack? I could attack now, but if I wait the enemy might attack, if they attack do I block? I'm close to a level 2 super. But i'm also close to dying. Do I attack right now, and then block the next attack and hopefully after build enough super? I'll block, crap. Now I'm even further away from a super. Do i wait again? Do i level 1 super?"

The speed of battles and constant action is always there. Time is one of the biggest resources to manage in the game from what I've played.

Oh, also, Sony is a massive Japanese conglomerate. They've been around for 70 years and made the Playstation 3, which you might be familiar with. It might surprise you to know that the PS3 wasn't the first Playstation! Sony also has a movies department and a music department, and are responsible for things like the Spider-Man movie, which you might not have seen. Spider-Man itself is a superhero based off a comic book from a company called Marvel. Comic books, you may not know, are collections of paper with drawings on them that tell stories using speech bubbles to depict character dialogue.

You do make assumptions, that much is clear. As the few dozen other people that liked the post clearly understood, my post was meant to highlight the absurdity of you asking the lead designer of the game a series of questions that were tantamount to, "so, are you planning on making the game fun, or what?".

My question wasn't are you planning it was how are you planning on making the game good, and I think that's an important distinction. It would be like asking any other dev how they plan to make their game good. Yes I know mike's a good designer, I trust him to make a good game for somebody, but I still wanted to know how he planned on or if he even planned on addressing the problems I have with RPGs. It's all just tastes, just because I think the combat in such and game is bad doesn't mean that it's bad for everyone. Some people love stuff the that I hate in RPGs, and if that was going to be part of the game, that's good information too. A lot of people here hate sf4 and marvel, isn't it fair to have question about whether a new fighter is going to have similar systems?

I'm really not enjoying having my words twisted into some kind of personal attack, because that's not my intention at all. Anyone who's met me offline knows that's just not my mo. I'm sorry that a lot of people have interpreted it that way and I'll try to be more careful next time.

You say want to have a serious discussion about game design? Then doing that before posting is not at all an unreasonable idea. Your "pfft" dismissal of it says a lot about how seriously YOU take the conversation, and I'm not going to take it more seriously than you do. :^) Broken Loose's attitude aside, if you wish to intelligently discuss a topic, educate yourself about the topic. If you don't want to attempt to play it, there are FAQs which explain VP's systems in great detail, written to explain to people in your position EXACTLY how everything works. Pointedly beginning a discussion without knowledge is like...is not great. Analogies are hard.

I could be more educated on VP for sure, but you said yourself that you don't want anyone to make assumptions of your game. It's like in all these kickstarters where people say their game is inspired by darksouls, that means nothing to me, I'd rather them explain the game to me as though no other game like it exists. I mean take mighty number 9, it's marketed as a spiritual successor to megaman but it plays very differently from classic or x. Not even in a bad way, it just has a very different flow and focus even though on the surface you would think them similar. I'm not going to be the only one with these questions that hasn't played VP, are you planning on linking a VP combat faq in your kickstarter?

My point was, simply giving you the ABILITY to delay your turn at will / decide exactly when you will act relative to the enemy fundamentally changes how combat works, and you just sort of wrote that off. That by itself adds huge layers of strategy! Imagine if you could move as fast as you could think in chess, or not move at all, rather than requiring white/black/white/black. The ENTIRE GAME would change (maybe not for the better, but it would change). Chess had to add a rule about not being able to skip your turn just to explicitly prevent one part of that freedom! And that's without changing any of the other rules.

You dismiss things that might have a huge impact somewhat arbitrarily

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make it arbitrary. The reason there's a rule against passing in chess is because it would make checkmates next to impossible, so I don't think that's a very good example of depth. I can't think of a traditional RPG where skipping all actions (including defending) and letting your opponent go twice is advantageous. Even in the chess example, inaction is still an action at high levels of play. The thing is it's still yes or no, either you skip or you go as fast as possible.. You would definitely see a change at low levels of play, because players would essentially be making execution errors, be it running out of time or making a move without thinking. I don't think that would factor heavily into high level play, especially in chess where there are whole gameplans that have been extensively mapped. High level players know what they're going to do so the effects of a timer are negligible. If the goal is just to cause players to play sub optimally, than yes having a timer will do that. But I don't think that's a good way of adding depth to a battle system, I would much prefer the timer is there to support the wide range of valid decisions you can make, rather than just to add urgency. Again, if that was in VP, then man, I've been playing all the wrong RPGs this whole time, I'm definitely going to have to go check that out.

You've said that indivisible will have a plethora of reasons to delay your attacks or wait for opportune moments to use your actions. That sounds awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, I am absolutely bristling at the opportunity to donate. I just wanted to know what you were going to do different, that's all.

you might want to examine why you do that. It makes it difficult to talk to you. :^P

That's fairly hurtful. Out of respect I'm going to go ahead and tuck that in under advisement and not continue that particular thread. :^)

"I don´t know about what you are talking about but still gonna complain about it."

-this dude, all the post.

Has everyone had their fun/anti-fun? Let's talk about Indivisible! I don't want to quash legitimate discussion, but can we move on from dissecting each other's posts about assumptions, conjectures, and expectations?

I will only respond to one specific thing in here:

I'd rather them explain the game to me as though no other game like it exists

We will. But also, this is the entire reason we're making a prototype. You won't have to know anything about VP or Metroid or ANY OTHER GAME to grasp the basic idea of what we're going for because you will be able to play it for yourself.

With the release of the prototype so close now, I really think a lot of these questions (not just yours specifically, but others' as well) can stand to go unanswered for a few days.

Did you know that Skullgirls is heavily based off a 15-year-old game? Did you know that skills in that game directly transfer over? Did you know that games don't just explode and disappear because you think they're too old, and Valkyrie Profile was rereleased mostly unchanged on PSP (Playstation Portable, it's a handheld device made by Sony between the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3, which are game consoles Sony made after the Playstation) to massive acclaim?

I've played like a single match of marvel 2 in an arcade, and this was after I had played skullgirls. I've never owned a psp, the first sony console I got was a ps3 like last year. My backlog is so massive there's no way I can commit to playing a 40+ hour game just to know whether indivisible is my kind of game. I think skullgirls is good enough and unique enough to stand on its own without being constantly compared to marvel, and I would hope and assume that indivisible stands by itself too.

I realize that making fun of strangers on a the internet makes you feel good, but other than that I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Has everyone had their fun/anti-fun? Let's talk about Indivisible! I don't want to quash legitimate discussion, but can we move on from dissecting each other's posts about assumptions, conjectures, and expectations?

Yes please, if I wanted to be barraged by personal criticisms I'd go have dinner with my extended family. -_-

Last edited:
So this might have already been answered once, but I just wanted to know if the game is going to have any Free-roam/exploration elements? Or will it just be level to level.
Some of my favorite games of this type had great worlds and areas to travel back and forth from. (Dust, Paper Mario)

but I just wanted to know if the game is going to have any Free-roam/exploration elements? Or will it just be level to level.
One of the two main comparisons they've given for the game is Super Metroid.

So this might have already been answered once, but I just wanted to know if the game is going to have any Free-roam/exploration elements? Or will it just be level to level.
Some of my favorite games of this type had great worlds and areas to travel back and forth from. (Dust, Paper Mario)
That's basically what they mean by metroidvania-style exploration, yes. (i.e. free-roam, not level by level)

Last edited:
I reread all his posts prior to this one just now, and I don't see any assumptions*. At least not about Indivisible.
His assumption was about the intent of my joking post. He stated that he believed its purpose was an attempt to be impressively verbose, which was, well, completely wrong.

BUT ABOUT INDIVISIBLE

I'm wondering how the dynamic between fighting & avoidance will work in the final game. Without fight-based stat growth (which the prototype has been stated to have, in the interest of quickly showing players various abilites), avoidance would seem to be the optimal choice in most situations, just as it would be in a non-RPG Metroidvania (in Super Metroid, for example, you'd avoid most enemies entirely, unless they're blocking your way). I'm sure there will be proper gameplay motivation to engage enemies, I'm just excited to see how they tackle that problem.

We were starting to talk about it, but Autumn couldn't get the money together before we signed Indivisible with 505
So... if Autumn Games didn't drop all those pot bonuses at tournaments...

I can't think of a traditional RPG where skipping all actions (including defending) and letting your opponent go twice is advantageous.

I'm playing a JRPG right now called Enchanted Arms that does this. skipping your turn without defending lets you store up your magic/ether points. Mean while your opponent may use an attack that uses alot/too much of their EP/MP and not KO you. Your teamates can defend/heal/support you to let you store up. you then are able to counter attack with a strong move since you waited and stored your mp. Just thought I'd give an example.

^^^Yeah in SMT (post Press Turn System introduction) you restore 1/2 a turn for any party members who wait. So if you want a particular member to act twice, you can sacrifice two others.

Back