• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...I've shown up to this party late

So, I watched your matches in Get Gr8 and I think you are definitely improving so don't feel down on yourself!

I think you are using bypass to much currently though, it is a great high risk, high reward tool that should be used sparingly. Unless you cancel it into scalpels, if it whiffs or is blocked then you should eat a huge combo. Your opponents rarely did big punishes in your matches but you should still be ver aware of that. Use this move very occasionally to catch a full/mid screen opponent unawares or to confirm of an air button (e.g. j.MK or j.HK) on hit.

As Fukua you often end your block strings in HP, this move is pretty unsafe so, anticipating a punish attempt, you cancel into H Drill. None of your opponents adapted to this I don't think so I guess in these matches it was the right move. But again, you should be careful here, if your opponent blocks the drill they can punish (drill is also not throw invincible).

Vs Beowulf I think you should find a Beowulf at your skill level and just play a bunch of matches with them to get used to the matchup.
When Bro is Charles's j.MP is a good tool for jumping in on him as it is multi-hit and will break his armour. When he has chair you should try empty jump + Drill assist to bait H Chair Toss as if he does any reversal you get a punish and if he blocks you get pressure.
In general, throws are very good vs Beowulf as they break armour and his H Chair Toss isn't throw invincible.

I think you are using bypass to much currently though, it is a great high risk, high reward tool that should be used sparingly.

It used to work so well all the time. Using scalpels only works off of a whiffed bypass. Had to find out the hard way...but now I won't forget lol.

As Fukua you often end your block strings in HP, this move is pretty unsafe so, anticipating a punish attempt, you cancel into H Drill.

Autopilot. I'm fixing that issue with Val, so I was expecting this with Fukua. I'm finding it easier to adjust faster, so I hope that I can fix this faster.

Vs Beowulf I think you should find a Beowulf at your skill level and just play a bunch of matches with them to get used to the matchup.
When Bro is Charles's j.MP is a good tool for jumping in on him as it is multi-hit and will break his armour. When he has chair you should try empty jump + Drill assist to bait H Chair Toss as if he does any reversal you get a punish and if he blocks you get pressure.
In general, throws are very good vs Beowulf as they break armour and his H Chair Toss isn't throw invincible.

To be completely honest, there are.....3 or 4 player that are of comparable skill level among my friend list. My Get GR8 nemesis (all friendly), ran Beo/BB. It was great because his strengths exposed my weaknesses. Sadly, he no longer attends Get GR8 or plays.

Getting bodied is a normal thing, but it has taught me soooo much. Those wins against better players feel so good. Three other players would be enough to schedule a lobby. I should contact them and set that up. Why didn't I think of that?

And here's a video:

It used to work so well all the time. Using scalpels only works off of a whiffed bypass. Had to find out the hard way...but now I won't forget lol.
What do you mean? Bypass cancels into scalpels on whiff, block and hit. You need to input it preemptively though.

Yep, just before you hit them.

Generally, I cancel air bypass into scalpels around the time when I think it would hit (even if I know it will whiff).
When it does air bypass does hit, I cancel into scalpels anyways since I don't know it will hit and it's better to be on the safe side.

I noticed that you're apprehensive when it comes to approaching Memefresh. Most of the matches you're holding up-back. This eventually led you to getting air thrown, or backing yourself into a corner. When in neutral and the opponent is midscreen/fullscreen away, it's fine to neutral jump and chuck shurikens. That way you're not giving up any space but at the same time you're not risking being too aggressive. Try to also call Fukua drill assist when you want to run in. Think of it as an armor breaking projectile that covers a lot of horizontal ground space. You can throw it out just to put pressure on Fukua/cerebella when she's falling or is on the ground, or as a pressure tool while you run straight at them.

When playing, keep goals in mind. Your main goal is to try to make your opponent stop pressing buttons. Making them block, reversal super out of pressure, continuously counterhitting them out of their moves are all ways to accomplish this. One thing that you did at around 15:10 was use s.hp at a range where Filia would want to air dash. I don't know if it's intentional, but Valentine's s.hp is really great for fishing for counterhits. She takes a step back, and then steps forward with a huge swipe with her blade. That step back is great for making jump ins and air dashes whiff, and then eating a counterhit hp.

At the same time, mini goals such as "I won't be backed into the corner" or "I won't get hit by that reset again" are important to improvement.

I noticed that you're apprehensive when it comes to approaching Memefresh. Most of the matches you're holding up-back. This eventually led you to getting air thrown, or backing yourself into a corner. When in neutral and the opponent is midscreen/fullscreen away, it's fine to neutral jump and chuck shurikens.

Welp. That solves the mystery of how i end up in corners so often. I was just assuming that I was just being outmatched. When I play tonight, ill do a few matches where I don't upback.

When playing, keep goals in mind. Your main goal is to try to make your opponent stop pressing buttons. Making them block, reversal super out of pressure, continuously counterhitting them out of their moves are all ways to accomplish this.

I have never thought of it like this. I guess I've never had a game plan or set goals when entering a match.

One thing that you did at around 15:10 was use s.hp at a range where Filia would want to air dash. I don't know if it's intentional, but Valentine's s.hp is really great for fishing for counterhits.

Oh yes. Yes it was. I'm learning that trick. And it's soooo satisfying when it connects.

At the same time, mini goals such as "I won't be backed into the corner" or "I won't get hit by that reset again" are important to improvement.

Yes. I need little goals like this to be thinking about. Again, why wasn't I thinking of this before.

And my later matches look....better. definitely a little bettdf

Another thing.
I'm going to list off descriptions/uses of Val's notable normals.
  • J.HK - It's like a stop huge stop sign that denies anyone trying to rush at you. Don't press this jumping forward or when they're really close due to the long startup. Use only when jumping straight up or backwards. If it hits, cancel into bypass for combo.
  • J.HP - Really good button for jump ins and cross ups. However, can be pushblocked easily and gains zero pressure against upbacking and opponents in the air.
  • J.MK - Second hit of the move pushes Val forward regardless if Val is jumping back or not. Moves Val really fast when used air dashing forward. First hit has a disjointed hitbox. If low enough to the ground, the first hit can be cancelled to j.hp to fast fall and dash under the opponent for a mixup.
  • J.MP - Your standard pressure tool. Don't use this from a distance where you could be chucking shurikens though. Can be air grabbed and anti-aired easily.
  • J.LK - Your other crossup tool. On block it has enough hitstun to be a tick grab setup. During an air combo adc into it and you land on the other side.
  • J.LP - a fast jab with a disjointed hitbox. Good for rejump combos and setting up air grabs.

• S.HP - The greatest button in the game (I think). Good for baiting and punishing air dashes, jump ins, bella's c.mp, and any of Parasoul's round start rushdown attempts(as long as she isn't covered by an assist).
  • C.MP - Val's anti air button. Squishes her hurtbox behind a huge pile of hitboxes. If there are beowulfs that love using his j.hp and are bad at spacing it such that beowulf himself is directly above you, use this button. Use this button if they're directly above you in general.
  • S.MP - Good for breaking armor and could be a decent anti air, but shunned since it causes so much damage scaling
  • S.MK - Could be a potential lockdown assist for Val.
  • C.LP - +7 on block, disjointed hit box
  • C.LK/C.MK - Valentine's notable low hitting attacks. Has a bit of start up, will lose to jabs.

17 days until the L.A. meetup

Calling in my sidekick to lay out the to-do list of things to learn. Having the meetup to look forward to is really exciting. And it sounds like Mike Z will be there. This scrub has a lot of work to do, but now those combos labelled "reach combos" aren't impossible.

3cceac5b99506ba6612992768cc1e50a.jpg

Special video coming out at one point this weekend (with PiP, showing some sweet fightstick action)

More importantly, I pulled off most of what I've been practicing! I didn't use all my new combos, but I used most of my new resets AND THEY WORKED! This game has been terribly unforgiving recently, but it feels so good to be able to step up when I need to pull off comebacks with both characters.

I also love winning good matches at the NMO Arena because fuck Beowulf

Last edited:
So I have a pile of notes that I am now finally going through. And I see that most of them are 12-15 hit combos that are setups for reset options. Now that I know and understand the glory of resets, I find myself wanting to constantly want to set up situations for a reset option.

... i'm rambling...i need to ask a question...

Now that I feel like a solid intermediate player, should I:

1. Focus on learning these combos that lead into reset options, and become a player that is always setting up the next reset

Or

2. Or polish up a long Duckator combo I found that I can pull off, seeing that many players above me have huge combos in their regular match routine.

I'd say learn one, maybe two combos per character and figure out where you can fit the reset into your combo. This way you don't have to remember so many combos and your resets are better hidden. If I know what your BnB looks like but you suddenly do a different combo, I'll know that a reset is coming soon and after seeing it a few times, I'll know what reset you are about to do before you even do it.

Most combos have a lot of reset points in them so don't worry about learning specific combos for one or two resets, chances are you can do that reset in some form in your BnB.

After going through new and current combos, I have found several places where old and new resets fit into my current combos. The new combos I am working on even seem to have segments that were meant to be interchangeable with reset options.

And it doesn't make sense to have a combo just for a reset. People will see that coming over time....unless I randomly change it up completely.

Now I no longer see the bottom of this rabbit hole. I like that. I'm now scaring opponents that used to wipe the floor with me. Just in time for the LA Salty event that I am officially registered for

Your launcher anti-aired Eliza right out of her level 3 in your pip video around the 2:00 mark. That blew my mind

Your sidekick is ADOOOOOOOOOORABLE!

Make it your goal to beat Verdant Brave at Salty. I'm sure you can do that. :^)

Reactions: gllt
Your sidekick is ADOOOOOOOOOORABLE!

Make it your goal to beat Verdant Brave at Salty. I'm sure you can do that. :^)
I have no clue who Verdant Brave is...but that's OK. It's kinda exciting going into this blind.

As long as I am not a complete potato, and polish everything i'm working on, I'll be happy with how I will do

It kinda breaks my heart to say this, but it doesn't look like Ms. Fortune is for me. I've tried for a month now, working on some combos and making attempts to become comfortable with her....but it's not happening.

Valentine? I can almost do a couple of Duckator's combos blindfolded. I have unlocked some of her scary resets. Hell, I can do almost everything in my bag o'tricks with Val blindfolded. I have reached that point with Val where she is an extension of my gaming presence and gaming style. My waifu and I are one.

Fukua? ...look, you hit buttons and good things happen. Every Fukua player needs to be honest here. The secret with her is learning some of her tricky resets and combo loops...then hit more buttons for more good things to happen. I love catching people with random resets where resets shouldn't happen. Also, #muricanresets

Ms. Fortune? I love her movements, her combos, and her puns warm my soul. But playing her doesn't feel natural. I've put an amount of time into her that I feel was sufficient enough to decide if I should stay with her. With that, I shelve her.

And I am picking up Cerebella. I've ran through her tutorial finally, and I found she has what my current team does lack: Raw strength. I hope my waifu and Mike Z's waifu get along...

They don't have a choice.

With the holiday weekend, I won't be able to attend Get GR8 and will lose a lot of my usual practice time. With Salty @ Game Realms a week away, I don't see a Cerebella being ready. But that doesn't mean I won't try. So let's jump in blindly!

For those who don't know, reading one of the character specific threads is the best way to start a new character (IMO). Yes, you will have to read. and no, reading hasn't killed anyone... yet.

It looks like Kai has a great thread that shows a good starting point, and it looks like he has some videos that go over basics. People really underestimate the basics sometimes. The simple things in SG can make the difference between a close loss and close win. So here is my goal for the weekend:

856efbaf5d75db586e35ab855e481e4f.jpg

Again, all credit goes to Kai. The amount of work that people like him put in helps people like me so much. It's greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Beta Ray Bill
Sometimes, it's nice having a day off from SG. It gives you time to process things, relax, spend time with your spouse....you know, that person you married. But then Skullgirls came along, and then you found out Valentine was your waifu, and you finally take a weekend off and you remember you're married.

Rambling over. I went gokarting and won. I guess you could say my lap times were savage as I was bypassing the competition.

14579b2ad754f8f504e7562c008987b4.jpg

Last edited:
With the time I did have this past weekend, I tried to learn Cerebella and some more Fukua stuff. While I made great progress, nothing new would be ready for SALTY. And all the time in the training room really messes with my in-match game. I forget to do things like block low, and miss chances to pushblock or punish more often. One day, and it happens....oh well.

So I'll be in lobbies most of the evenings this week. So if you have time, jump into a lobby i'm in and have some fun. For most, they will be fairly easy matches against me. But some days, those type of matches help me the most when I am reviewing the footage

Oh snap, this is old...

But I don't see it's age being a problem. Unless major tech things have been altered (like Fukua no longer being able to convert off of air grabs...i think I said that right), it should be fine. Here my angle on the old stuff: Maybe people have forgotten about the older setups and combos. Maybe people have never seen the old stuff. I'm banking on the element of surprise.

The vid is "fukua wasn't even in the game yet" old, but the bella resets shown are still applicable. Notice how you said these resets were used on you.
Honestly Bella's entire reset game is easy and has barely ever changed since there's the ever looming threat of a command grab. So she automatically has good low/throw mix ups.
Just take note to reset characters with little/no air reversals in the air, and characters with bad ground reversals on the ground.

3 days before SALTY, and when I feel I could really use matches for preparation, my modem dies. Apparently, 4 years is all most people get out of them. And now you know too. It only took 3 years, but I finally can buy things from Amazon without messing it up.

You just wait til you are my age, and see how hard it is to keep up with all the new fancy smancy interweb'ing stuffs. Back in mai day, all we had was MySpace. And you had to sit through your friends' profile pages while they took 10 minutes to upload 200 pot leaves...and we like it that's way.

REALLY, WHAT IS TWITTER?!?!?????

But on the plus side, the training room was useful. I locked down all my current Val combos and resets (if I'm pulling anything off, she will carry me). Fukua....uhhhhh, I need to use her shadows > jumping attacks to open people up better. (Mash button in different order). And I at least have Bella's advanced beginner combo down. Learning new combos is much easier than it used to be (use her when in a few casuals to get in-person advice?)

Last edited:
2 days until SALTY

All I can think about is hoping to win a single match on Friday. It took me 20 years of sim racing to master it, so I know 5 months is barely a drop in the bucket. But I do really hope I haven't already hit a peak.

No matter what tho, I will make sure to have a lot of fun. And I'm still excited to meet people that I play with.

Cerebella is still weird to play with.

Last edited:
24 hours until SALTY L.A.

Final practice and cramming. And went ahead and laid everything out that I will need:

-Main fightstick
-Fighting Stick Mini 4 (backup)
-A PS4 controller that someone requested
-gopro stuff to vlog
-And carrying bags
I wonder if I could call in to work tomorrow...

30f5b8569b079c476f82e86424f50f6e.jpg

Reactions: Beta Ray Bill
SALTY was so much fun. It was wonderful to meet everyone, and could all be socially awkward together. Even people that I would consider top tier players in the community came up randomly with hugs and compliments. I left in the wee hours feeling like I really am part of the SG community.

I actually progressed in the brackets too!
(Just one round, but it was a 2-0 sweep. I happily exceeded the goal I set out for myself)

f0486f285aab3fc25a10d5bb8a70f34c.jpg

I won't be able to make every single event, but I intend to be a regular. At the very least, I gotta return...you know, to do better. As the Twilight Sparkle in me likes to do, I have made a list of things I need to work on

2a8d09fc426964e3531ca394cc82a357.jpg

The blank area under the list is by design. I'm sure it will be filled up by Wednesday.

Well, it's time to use this thread for its intended purpose again.

So, Cerebella....dat damage doe. As far as her standard combo and BnB, I have found little issue with learning them and doing them fairly consistently. But I am having a big problem with doing her command runs. All I end up doing is whiffed HK. I even have this problem when I do her tutorial.

What is the secret / timing /wizardary involved in doing Cerebella's command runs?

Last edited:
What about tumble run are you asking? I'm going to assume you're asking about run stops, to do a run stop hold back and then press forward and LK+HK at the same time. This gives you a first frame run stop. I find it helps if you also hold down the buttons for a very brief time.

Similarly, if you want to do Kanchou do the same thing but with MK+HK. For battlebutt I think you do HP+HK and for pummel horse it's LP+LK+HK.