• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...I've shown up to this party late

ah then it be the Quick Match Lurkers.

a cowardly creature. many do not stray far from the quick match area of the game. They tend to feed on the weak and new players of the game, using cheep lock down teams like Peacock and Band.

If a Quick Match Lurker were to leave the quick match area they usually take 2 others with them when entering a lobby. taking advantage of new players just wanting to have some fun matches.

They play to suck the fun out of you. T-Bagging is just their signature.

don't let them get to you. Once you get strong enough you can beat them with ease and most will run from a fight if you beat them harshly enough.

Well teabagging aside, I have a SALTY to attend tonight. It looks like I was able to lock down Cerebella, and fixed a lot of Valentine stuff. Finally figured out the problem with the duck combo, and clean up some other little things. Last night, I learned my first Cerebella reset (even have more than one option for the reset).

Again, I have no real goal. If I manage to win a set, that would be awesome. But I'm most excited to see everyone again.

Is there is a story of badassery behind this revoked visa? If not, thats ok...I'll take a good made up story
Went for a drink at a bar in downtown Toronto after work with my buddies and we picked a fight with a few losers. Some pussy got scared and whipped out a knife on us, but that's nothing new to someone who grew up in the streets of Brazil, so I charged him anyways and he stabbed me in the belly a couple times before I hammered his head into a wooden strut behind the drywall.
Luckily health care is both free and of excellent quality here in Canada so they patched me up and within 4 months I could work again (I'm a commercial electrician, so I need to be able to lift very heavy things all the time)
But while I was out of it, my bills piled up and I had to forfeit my visas to stay afloat.
I make good money though, so my debts are already mostly payed off. I'll probably be applying for new visas within the next couple of months.

Game face on. Ready for SALTY.

479d11801a0c35c270a8a42bebee8d6b.jpg

Spending hours and hours training in the lab has done nothing for me. I have not improved at all, and it's discouraging. I MAAAAYYYYY be trying to hard. I feel like I've wasted a month trying to get better at this game, then waste everyone's time at Get GR8. I'm really hard on myself.

I need to run sets with people, and hope and pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it will help.

(Insert explicative)

I will be running a lot of sets over the next week. (Well, whoever I can find who will do some matches with me). I do have someone I am doing a set with tomorrow, a set i have been looking forward to.

So...would anyone want to run some matches with me over the next week? I'm asking like this so I can schedule times. It's a lot easier for me if I know when I'm doing different things.

Add me on steam and just message me for a match if you ever see me playing.

I might even see the message.

You honestly have been improving a lot lately. You've been playing the game for less than a year and have been putting SO much work into this game and know a lot. I'm really tough on myself too, but doing so actually hinders me and ACTUALLY makes me play worse. Just have smaller goals in mind while you tackle on greater ones. Even experiencing and knowing simple things such as remembering to jump over Daisy Pusher if you're not stuck in an attack, being able to block and Bypass a whiffed Argus to punish, and blocking both hits of Double's raw tag to not get crossed up is a sign of improvement, even if it's something difficult to notice. Also, you're not wasting anyone's time! It takes time to learn something new, be it a combo, reset, or breaking a habit, and it's even tougher to be able to apply that in matches. Hmu 2, h0m3s.

I know the ping ain't so great between us but you're my main rival at the moment. I'll overlook the fact that I went 10-3 with you last time we played because you were way too fresh with Bella =) but that means you owe me a rematch now.

OK, let's make this thread a bit more positive again...

Better yet: Make This Thread Great Again (I'm so sorry)

Tiger knee. (Credit to JoshB for talking about this at Get GR8) This is an amazing little trick. For Val players who dont know, here come some knowledge. To do tiger knee, from the ground, you begin by doing the OCF motion. Instead of stopping at forward and hitting a K, you continue rotating the stick so you jump. As soon as you leave the ground, then you hit K. If Valentine didn't feel like a ninja before, she does now.

Through all the ups and down of playing a video game in a competitive manner, it's the friends I've made that means the most

Last edited:
OK, let's make this thread a bit more positive again...

Through all the ups and down of playing a video game in a competitive manner, it's the friends I've made that means the most

Friendship is magic :3

Lol I couldn't resist.
Yea 5pm should be perfect for me, it's right around the time when I usually hop on to do my daily grinding. If your Bella isn't up to snuff I wanna see your solo Val come into play. She's better than my Eliza, and I want you to show it.

Cerebella may be decent now. I've learned a couple reset options, and I'm tweaking the combo I have for her. And I think I FINALLY have the Dictator down for Valentine. So, hopefully, both characters are no longer potatoes.

The next big things I know I need to work on is getting in offensively, and learn to block better.

Would it be ok if I recorded our set?

You almost always do something after you throw a shuriken in the air and it is very often a H Bypass. As I have said before, H Bypass is a really high risk move (though you go pretty much unpunished here by Bill who, at most, gets you with a jump back j.LK). Don't do it unless you are sure it will hit and if you are unsure then use Scalpels to make it safe. You get better at this later with a lot less H Bypasses and without always feeling the need to go on the attack after throwing a shuriken so that's good. When you had cerecopter assist (I think H LnL is better for Val btw) you didn't call it during blockstrings and instead called it at some strange points in neutral instead. Call an assist when you start your blockstrings, it allows you to mix your opponent up afterwards (or during if they don't absolute guard) and stops you from doing something unsafe.

With Bella, you really like using f.HP it seems. That move is REALLY slow. It's main use is for punishing assist calls from far away and it has limited use when you are facing a rushdown opponent. You also used the tumble run moves a lot near the start (though this also improved towards the end). They are all really unsafe on block and if you do them from full screen like you did then you telegraph it a lot (I think jump back block beats all of them). Don't be afraid to just cancel the run with LP/LK a bit early and continue from there. You can also combo off of Bella's throw in the corner btw using otg (and midscreen you can go straight to dynamo or use pummel horse).

Your biggest problem is that you always mash. You need to wait your turn. Bill did two throws during the entire set and barely went for resets so you should have just been downbacking in case he drops his combo. Instead you were mashing and this lead to you getting hit a lot. This was also a problem on wakeup. Be patient and willing to block.

Recently, bad habits have come back in a big way as I am panicking constantly. But I did do bad things less often as the set went on, so that's good. (I didn't notice that, but it's good to know i am finally adjusting to opponents). As far as using the assist, I've went from never using it to using it at the wrong time...that's maybe improving...maybe? Again, that was panicking for no reason.

Cerebella. I am finding her very challenging to become comfortable with when I am not doing her combo. The running thing is me trying to get in. I still can't. I have material on this subject, but it's taking a while to learn how to use it. The only grab I know how to convert off of is pummel horse. That's something.

I was mashing a lot, thinking a reset was coming. I was trying to jab out...and got caught out all the time. But my Duckator combo was looking good (it's all I have to show for the past month of work, and it's the only thing that held me through the past week).

I have a couple people lined up to go through practice sets with. No 'first to' stuff, not trying to win. Just no stress and no panic practice. I'm recording those too, so hopefully I can use all this new footage to learn and unlearn stuff.

Last edited:
converting off of diamond drop, depending on what val assist you're using, can be done with s.hp > m savage bypass > c.mk into whatever

converting off of diamond drop, depending on what val assist you're using, can be done with s.hp > m savage bypass > c.mk into whatever
It's f.HP, with H Bypass. Here's a video:

diamond drop is cerebella's qcf command grab. it has limited range but beefy damage and again there are certain assists that allow you to follow up afterword.

It's f.HP, with H Bypass.

i use m bypass and it works just fine :? the f.hp was wrong on my part, but i don't think h bypass is necessary.
diamond drop is QCF + lp & lk

oh hey it's that old Val + Bella vid I made a while ago. Some of the air bypass + LnL assist side switch resets don't work as well since air bypass was changed. It used to work like ground bypass where they would fly away from you after hitting, but it was buffed so you can preform air actions after air bypass and the opponent would fly upwards so it would be easier to combo. So the timing of hitting with LnL is different. But most of the stuff is still viable. The combos aren't optimal, but the vid was just meant to showcase some possibilities when everyone used to run only cerecopter assist. Funny how I don't use most of the stuff I find in training mode.

Btw in the vid I used H bypass assist cuz damage. Honestly Val can't do much to support Bella as an assist in neutral, but being able to convert of of f.hp, diamond drop, and dynamo with bypass assist are huge benefits for Bella.

This kind of stuff would work so much better than throwing out the assist randomly
H Lock n Load assist is good for high damage combos and counter calling the opponent's assist calls. For instance, if they love to call Filia Updo assist, I call H Lock n Load assist to punish it after I block it. H Lock n Load does 1800 damage. When you combine that with damage multipliers such as Counter Hit, damage against an assist, Duo vs Trio, that Filia will be feeling PAIN.

Cerecopter assist is good for vial load combos, and constant pressure. Whenever you have them blocking or on a sliding knockdown, just call copter. They can't pushblock you away since it's your assist that has got them on lockdown. So, you'll be constantly be in their face while eating chip damage. Copter also builds a good bit of meter on block.

For now, I will go through the video and find the simplest ones to do. I'm not looking for high damage or anything crazy, I just want something that will introduce me to using assists this way. I haven't considered using the assist to hit the opponent in a way where it sets up or continues a combo. (I know cerecopter does that, but I was only doing it to apply pressure and praying something good would happen). I've seen players do things like this with BB and Beo, so I do already understand what I will want to do.

So this evening, I will look for a good first Val assist to use (and when and how to use it), and one for Cerebella.

If you use H LnL assist then you can start your combos with cr.LK, cr.MK, HP, M Bypass + H LnL Assist. This is a pretty good combo starter as it is easy to hitconfirm and leads to some really big damage. There's a couple of Val/Bellas here in Europe who like to use this starter for Val. If they block then you can cancel the HP into shuriken to make it safe.

If you want to use the H Bypass assist for Bella, you should practice converting off of Dynamo and DDrop with f.HP, H Bypass assist as that is the main benefit of using this assist. I always found it easier after Dynamo than DDrop so start off with that.

I feel kinda bad, cause we both said it would be just casual fun, but then I played my heart out. But it's hard to tone it down against one so close to my skill level.

Someone please give Billi-san some pointers on dealing with Sekhmet. What little advice I had to contribute is of little value, and she's the reason I finished almost all of those matches.

So for the Bella assist for Val: let say I want to do my Duck combo and want to use my assist to start like @Lex suggested. Could I do c.LK > c.MK > HP > M.Bypass > H. LnL assist > into full Duck combo?
Because the followup to the starter would put you at stage three IPS, you wouldn't be able to do the Duckator combo (or you would have to heavily modify it).
Here's a combo I came up with a while ago for a friend who was looking for a combo with this starter:
cr.LK, cr.MK, HP, M Bypass + H LnL Assist, cr.LK, cr.HP, j.HK, H Bypass, ADC, j.MP, j.HK, j.LP, j.MP, j.HK, ADC, j.MK, LPx3...
That does 8501 damage and is universal. If you dash jump for the j.LP and replace the j.MK with Vial toss then you can use poison vials (lvl 1 vial did 9266 damage). If you don't want to swap sides twice (starter swaps sides and air H Bypass swaps sides again) then you can just remove the H Bypass.

You can do that combo with H Bypass but the cr.LK link is tighter and you don't get that much extra damage (~200) so it isn't worth it IMO.

Someone please give Billi-san some pointers on dealing with Sekhmet. What little advice I had to contribute is of little value, and she's the reason I finished almost all of those matches.
If you're asking people to give Skodial advice, then double snap is a safer and more consistent way of punishing sekhmet on block than grab and for Bella punish with DDrop since it has faster start-up than normal grabs (4f startup to normal grabs' 7f). Sekhmet's safest attack is -10 which should theoretically be punishable by grabs very easily but when you add in her range it isn't always consistent. Just respect sekhmet though and block. Sekhmet only has one low attack so it is safe to block high vs her normally (once you're blocking her, always block high since she can't chain into her low). Remember that for every second that sekhmet is out, your opponent is losing meter so let them waste all their meter on sekhmet while you just wait patiently.

I feel kinda bad, cause we both said it would be just casual fun, but then I played my heart out. But it's hard to tone it down against one so close to my skill level.

In true Canadian form, @Beta Ray Bill apologies for winning

(I think he's Canadian...i did hear an 'eh' yesterday)

I'm sorry, I'll try not to be so apologetic...

...Yes I am Canadian =p
Billy is my polar opposite. He's from the warm south and I'm cold north. He's west coast, I'm east coast. He's got a beard, I'm clean shaven. He's got a cat, I got a dog. Even his middle name is just my middle name backwards. Totally and completely true :3