• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...I've shown up to this party late

You aren't charging long enough or you are pressing HK early then.

you can also hold down back to charge. or neutral jump and hold back and you should have it charged by the time you land.
And make sure you're hitting kick after hitting forward.

you can always get a charge in from Bella's longer ground normals like s.hp and cr.mp. you can always do the mix up from one of Bella's standard ground chains, cr.lk, cr.mk because both of those moves are crouching you can get your charge super quick, from there just slide your stick to a forward position press mk again then quickly tap lp. This will make Bella do a quick run stop. During the time you press lp to do your run stop you should be holding up + the direction your opponent is going from the time they got hit with cr.mk [ so if cr.mk was at point blank range the opponent is going to be going over your head and the tumble run will put you behind the opponent so hold up back so you can jump backwards so your reset has a better chance at landing. ]

from there once you're air born you can press j.hp for a reset, another good move to do is just air grab however it is a little predicable so it's not the best thing to do over and over again, or if you want to be tricky press down j.mp to do an instant air elbow charge into another tumble run as this is happening land out of your recovery frames into a tumble run and either do battle butt to stuff your opponent's attack or if they landed right next to you cancel tumble run right into show stopper. buuuuuuut that's just silly.

to do the cr.mk into tumble run cross up on the heavy character you have to do something else but I don't remember. Talk to Dragonos about that, the guy plays Bella non-stop.

to do the cr.mk into tumble run cross under on the heavy character you have to do something else but I don't remember. Talk to Dragonos about that, the guy plays Bella non-stop.
For Double and Beowulf you have to kara cancel HK or cr.HP (more reliable + easier) into RS. cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP (kara), RS. For Big Band you do the normal cr.LK, cr.MK, RS and then to cross under you need to use cr.MP.

I'm gone for a day, and I return to another treasure trove of information....and I just state at it dumbfounded.

But I did fix the running issue. I was hitting the HK button too early. Now I guess I need to start reading everything that just happened here

For Double and Beowulf you have to kara cancel HK or cr.HP (more reliable + easier) into RS. cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP (kara), RS. For Big Band you do the normal cr.LK, cr.MK, RS and then to cross under you need to use cr.MP.

When you say kara, what do you mean? And while I'm asking, might as well ask what RS to be clear

When you say kara, what do you mean? And while I'm asking, might as well ask what RS to be clear
kara means using the startup inactive frames of a normal to move you forward/backward then cancelling into a special i think

RS probably is runstop

Kara means cancel out of the move before it can hit here, exploiting how the normal will move you forwards or backwards. So if you do cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP, RS you will see the cr.HP start up but you will cancel it before it can hit. The cr.HP moves you forward just enough for you to be able to cross under before run stopping.

RS is just Run Stop abbreviated (Run stop is a cancelled tumble run with LK/LP).

EDIT: Yeah, that would be an example of a kara cancel.

Okay, this kara stuff is where Cerebella gets difficult (explicative). After 2 hours with it, haven't done it once. (Another explicative)

Also, here's a pro tip: Don't agree to go in a team tournament, while drinking, with 5 minutes of notice. You may look like an ass in front of people who usually trample you anyway. It shouldn't, but it bothers me. I am still extremely hard on myself. For everyone who follows my thread, here's a question for you.

Does performing poorly (for whatever reason) bother you / dampens your mood / leave you feeling a little down. I'm leaving out all of the rage feelings because those do not apply to me.

If I have been practicing for quite some time and I perform at a consistently suboptimal level in online matches compared to what I've manage to do in Training Mode/ CPU matches, then I do feel a bit down. However, I can still be chipper if I lost, if I understand what went wrong and I lost to do incorrect guesses. I try not to let playing badly get in the way of my mood, though it happens sometimes when I legitimately feel like I shouldn't be losing in certain situations.

Okay, this kara stuff is where Cerebella gets difficult (explicative). After 2 hours with it, haven't done it once. (Another explicative)
Kara cancelling with Bella is pretty unnecessary, usually you use it if you are slightly out of range for one of your command grabs (kara cr.MP MGR/DDrop) but for resets it is only necessary if you want to do the cr.MK cross under on Beowulf or Double. So don't sweat it, learn it later once you've learnt more important stuff with Bella.

actually I think Kara cancelling with Bella CAN be necessary depending on other kinds of resets. Like you can kara out of s.hp into Mp Lock and Load while calling out a lock down assist. This alone causes stagger pressure that then goes into a lock down to make yourself safe. If you're quick enough you can actually make this even better where you can cancel out of Lock and Load just before it hits [the same goes for the assist] and go into a showstopper. If you do this right it will have Bella sliding up towards the opponent.

learn it later once you've learnt more important stuff with Bella.

I kinda feel like I am here. I am asking myself questions like...

"okay, so how do I make my way to the opponent on the other side of the screen without getting hit?"
And
"okay, i'm here. I have the Kai combo down, which is great. But how do I open up the opponent? These grabs appear to whiff often, but I'm on top of them. Am I too close to grab? Do I just c.LK? Or j.HK? j.HP?"

If I have been practicing for quite some time and I perform at a consistently suboptimal level in online matches compared to what I've manage to do in Training Mode/ CPU matches, then I do feel a bit down. However, I can still be chipper if I lost, if I understand what went wrong and I lost to do incorrect guesses. I try not to let playing badly get in the way of my mood, though it happens sometimes when I legitimately feel like I shouldn't be losing in certain situations.
Lesson I learned after yesterday: Should just not drink. Looking back on the week so far, I think that I've been up against people who are far above my skill level (including people who frequent Penumbra's stream). Which is fine. Liam talked about this situation with other people, and he said it perfectly. It went something like "if you, an average person, run a race against a professional runner 30 times, you will lose horribly 30 times. It doesn't mean you are a bad runner. It means your opponent is a much better runner with a ton of experience"

I did set up a time to do a long set with another player who is around my skill level later this week. We will have the chat going, and the idea is to work on things that are holding us back. Doing something like this is actually something I really like.

Last edited:
Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I have made progress

d08c867b2ae693bd65ac0defb6e967b9.jpg

Does performing poorly (for whatever reason) bother you / dampens your mood / leave you feeling a little down. I'm leaving out all of the rage feelings because those do not apply to me.

It depends on the situation, but personally, no, usually not. I'm a pretty metacognitive person, so this is usually how it goes down:

I feel pretty bad whenever I realize I'm playing worse than I usually do, such as dropping BnBs, mis-inputs causing me to waste my stance charge, etc. Soon, my brain chimes in and says "Why are you upset? Oh, you are making mistakes you don't normally make. Which mistakes are those? [lists mistakes]. Focus on grinding out those links and inputs next time in training mode. Until then, try to work around those mistakes. If you continue to feel this upset, then your play will get worse, and then you'll be more upset, and then feedback loop." Then I just sorta return to a default state of mind. It doesn't actually fix my mistakes, but it helps me prevent extra ones :3

If I'm just getting beaten and outplayed, I actually feel happy. I start thinking more critically and become more energetic because I want to learn about how I am being out played, and how I should adapt, what weaknesses are being revealed, etc. It's like a... "Oh snap! Good information source!" excitement The only downside is I feel guilty like I'm boring the person that's outplaying me =P

Reactions: Sunset Radiance
Yeah definitely especially when I don't get a rematch. Then I'm especially down. REMATCH PLS.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
Cerebella 'a debut at Get GR8: she was barely ready. In the intermediate bracket, not being comfortable with a character is obvious right away. But this was a great way to see that I just need more time with her. Solo Valentine make a nice return. So tempted to run solo.

I am now at a point where I need to practice my combos on every character. My Duckator combo requires slightly different timing when going against another Valentine...didn't realize that until halfway through my first match. Two thing I did improve on was cancelling MP sooner and converting off of hit confirms. I also found myself not nervous or over-hyped about today's matches. I didn't play my best, but it was not due to nerves. Despite mixed results, today felt like a good day in the game.

Now, it's time to relax for the night. Tomorrow, I look forward to training for the upcoming SALTY.

I finally streamed!

And I did horrendous. And the VOD thingy did not work. And I got salty. Yay Monday. Despite my awful playing, it was so exciting to finally play Fedora Ninja....and drop everything in front of him. I am beginning to really wonder if I am having a lag issue.

Its better to suck here instead of SALTY, I suppose

Oh yea I almost forgot. I did a Happy Birthday! And I did it against Fedora Ninja! I can now die happy

Last edited:
There were lag some spikes in some areas, so don't worry too much. I even dropped my air bypass > ad j.mp too much for my own comfort.

Bella:

- Approaching as bella.
  • Full screen tumble run is bad. The safest option to beat out all of bella's actions out of tumble run is up-back. Brave souls would sweep it or use multi-hitting moves to break the armor.
  • Bella's entire being is scary. People don't want to be anywhere near a bella. Your opponent's job as someone who is playing against a bella is to keep her out. Simply just walking forward is sassy and intimidating.
  • Bella has a lot of ways to get in. F.hp is her long range weapon that pushes them to the corner. J.lk is her cross up tool, j.mp has a ridiculous hitstun and a ridiculously disjointed hitbox that makes a great air-to-air and jump in, j.hk is a great jump in move at a sharper angle than j.mp. On the ground, dash up c.lk does wonders, and c.mp moves bella forward a good deal.
- Didn't call her enough as a lockdown assist. Usually people call copter assist once they initiated a block string to gain time to set up stuff or to create a wall your point character can hide behind. However if you don't cover your copter assist, she'll be eating a lot of pain and will be waiting on the lockout to expire.

Val:

-Panic buttons under pressure. Most of my s.hp landed, even as block strings. (btw c.mk > s.hp isn't a true block string. You can up back out of it) It got better at the end of the set. My triple s.hps were just me trying to get you to hit a button. You didn't though, and eventually pushblocked, so good job.

-Duckator combo
  • Personally don't like using the duckator combos. The one that you were going for doesn't have much corner carry until it comes to the s.hk(x3) part. Even then that's were you used your meter and gave up positioning.
  • You don't need to use the meter if you can snap out a different character (my big band is my weakest character. I keep telling myself to learn him more but I end up practicing Val stuff in training mode) and regain health as a solo or if not using it leads to me being in the corner. I personally don't use meter in combos unless if it kills, snaps in a bleeding character, or if it safely swaps out my bleeding point character.
  • Don't need to land the entire duckator combo when you're doing it out of the corner. If you look back, you'll realize that every time I scored a hit, it lead straight to launcher into one air bypass. This let me side switch and keep the combo going with the corner loops. If you go for the full combo, you're essentially letting me out of the corner.
- Chucking dead crosses. Good job doing it with superjumps. However there are several points to be made:
  • don't get too predictable when you're commited to zoning. A lot of the round starts began with you superjump back dead cross, which lead you with openings on the way down. So I started doing air H Bypass since I guessed you weren't holding back on the way down. That's a habit you should start picking up on.
  • Superjumping is good, but sometimes vary it up and double jump. Double jumping covers only a little less height, and preserves your ability to call assists while in the air (on the first jump only).
  • Cerecopter can be used to set up a wall that the opponent can't rush through to end your fireball game. Fukua drill assist can also be used as an additional projectile that covers midrange ground while you cover the air.
  • When playing the fireball game against a fukua or another Val, being the first to jump isn't the goal. If you're both jumping and throwing angled fireballs, you want to be the one who is jumping while the other one is falling. Especially against fukua, who doesn't have any air mobility options after she jumps. If you've ever played the game Divekick, you'd find that the person who has the higher position when you've both jumped has the better position for the angled attack and has all the offense. Same concept here.
-Dashing up throw
  • it's good, but be careful for when the opponent has a dp assist like beat extend or updo. Against assists like that, your goal should be to bait them out and then punish them to lock the assists out for a few seconds.

So...APPARENTLY...There are combos in the fighting game world that are considered "offline only". I fear that my prized Duckator combo maybe one of those. The chicken scratch you see below is a combo from an unlikely source. Does close enough to the same amount of damage, and uses chains that I can do with no problem.

Three days until SALTY 7/22. No pressure...

JoshB...he's still aiight by me

e139e6fa1c0158532624cbb60e61eade.jpg

There were lag some spikes in some areas, so don't worry too much. I even dropped my air bypass > ad j.mp too much for my own comfort.

More than one person pointed out that there were small lag issues that would have affected my timing. After returning to the training room, I feel that maybe there was lag. But that Duck combo is extremely difficult to do on light characters offline too.

Bella:

Full screen tumble run is bad.
Oh. Whale then...i assumed that it was a good idea, due to her generally slow speed. I still am working on input consistency with the runs too.

Simply just walking forward is sassy and intimidating.

Against people like you, I feel that I don't have the room to do so...because I'm getting bodied. But against people I would play at Get GR8, I would. Well, it's worth a try

Bella has a lot of ways to get in.

(Heavy Breathing) OK, here is information I have been searching for.

F.hp is her long range weapon that pushes them to the corner. J.lk is her cross up tool, j.mp has a ridiculous hitstun and a ridiculously disjointed hitbox that makes a great air-to-air and jump in, j.hk is a great jump in move at a sharper angle than j.mp. On the ground, dash up c.lk does wonders, and c.mp moves bella forward a good deal.

I need to remember to use f.HP, it is a type of command that is still new to me. I'm sure j.LK is super fast, so maybe people wouldn't see it coming. I like j.MK because of it's range, and I have discovered how I should use j.HK as a jump-in. I love Bella's crouching normals. Those i use fairly well.

- Didn't call her enough as a lockdown assist.

Really? I thought I was doing OK. Maybe that was the previous set. But compared to a month ago, I call the assist a lot. So I will continue to use it more often

Val:

Sigh...

-Panic buttons under pressure. Most of my s.hp landed, even as block strings. (btw c.mk > s.hp isn't a true block string. You can up back out of it) It got better at the end of the set. My triple s.hps were just me trying to get you to hit a button. You didn't though, and eventually pushblocked, so good job.

I have a panic mashing problem. It's still in the problem stage. At least I improved. OK, off to a positive start...

Personally don't like using the duckator combos.

Others have said the exact same thing. Is there a common reason why?

I need to remember to snap again.

Chucking dead crosses. Good job doing it with superjumps.

WOOOOOO!

don't get too predictable when you're commited to zoning. A lot of the round starts began with you superjump back dead cross, which lead you with openings on the way down. So I started doing air H Bypass since I guessed you weren't holding back on the way down. That's a habit you should start picking up on.

This is really useful information.

Double jumping covers only a little less height, and preserves your ability to call assists while in the air (on the first jump only).

...wait, really? You can do that?

Everything else, I will read up on and take notes. Thank you for taking the time to do all of this.

e139e6fa1c0158532624cbb60e61eade.jpg

@Fedora_Ninja do you think the LK in the ground sequence is necessary? i feel like it might whiff depending on the spacing/placement.
also, would you use HK or end it with HP?

Last edited:
For that JoshB combo, you would get more damage with using H Bypass, M Bypass though I'm guessing that you use the combination you do for timing the AD, j.MP afterwards? Also, you should add H Bypass after the HKx3 at the end there.

In regards to combos, with Val there are generally two types of combos midscreen IMO and which type you use depends on the situation. There are corner carry combos and damage combos, the duckator combo (the one in the playlist I made right?) is in the latter category. It has very little corner carry due to how many bypasses it contains but those bypasses are what gives it the higher damage. You generally want to do damage combos when you want to kill a character.

Corner carry combos are what I normally go for midscreen. They do less damage but they (usually, unless done from the opposite corner) put your opponent in the corner. This is good because not only does the corner limit the opponents defensive options (no room to backup, they have to take a risk to escape) but Val's best resets are in the corner (IMO). She has really ambiguous left right mixups due to j.LK and many of them can only be escaped via an invincible air super. Corner carry combos are also normally a bit more consistent for happy birthday situations and of course allow you to snap the assist earlier.

Which combo you do is up to you, if you haven't learnt Val's corner resets yet then I think I would go for the damage combos (and learn the corner resets, they are amazing) but once you learn those corner resets corner carry combos are the way to go usually.

In regards to difficulty with the Duckator combo, the tricky parts for me personally are the AD, j.MK and the LP after the j.MP. For the AD, j.MK it has different timings depending on the weight class, with lights you should delay the j.HK slightly after bypass so that they are lower to the ground and delay the AD, j.MK a little as well. The j.MP, LP is just a timing thing though but I assume the j.MK is where you are struggling. It is definitely very possible to use it online though it is slightly more difficult than the rejump combos due to the variance between character weights. Also, if you aren't already, do j.HP, M Bypass, j.HK, H Bypass; swapping the order of the bypasses means you lose some damage, but this is far more consistent and is universal (H Bypass first is very inconsistent on Double and some lights).

For a corner carry combo, the one JoshB gave you is pretty good and does decent damage, if you want a bit more corner carry at the expense of damage the you can remove the j.HK and bypasses and add on an extra ADC, j.MK, j.HK at the end. You can also remove one of the bypasses from JoshB's combo and add in an ADC, j.MK at the end for a good side switch combo.

@Fedora_Ninja do you think the LK in the ground sequence is necessary? i feel like it might whiff depending on the spacing/placement.
if you fastfall the jmk, you can connect even clk x2 on probably every opponent. ending with hk(3)+ bypass + super does more damage but needs otg so if you dont have it go for shp

Reactions: Sparties
LK is unnecessary. Has potential to whiff and the amount of damage gained with it at max scaling is so minimal that it wouldn't really matter. I end my combos with s.hp since I usually use up my otg. The only times I end my combos in hk are for the sliding knockdowns.

Reactions: Sparties
LK is unnecessary. Has potential to whiff and the amount of damage gained with it at max scaling is so minimal that it wouldn't really matter. I end my combos with s.hp since I usually use up my otg. The only times I end my combos in hk are for the sliding knockdowns.
exactly my thoughts. just making sure though, since i'm not a val main.

For right now, I am looking for consistent damage. Any combo is only worth what you can do with it in a match. I have messed around with the Duckator combo more (yes, @Lex, I believe it came from you), and am slowly figuring out the timing. Delaying the j.HK > H. Bypass is helping, but it's still super tricky. A Valentine opponent is still giving me the most trouble with it, but now I understand where the issue is.
The @joshb911 combo: I need a combo that I can do every time, and I feel that this is one i can pick up fast. It may not do the most damage, but It will work for me for where I am currently at. I may have taken too big of a jump going to the Duck combo, and Josh's combo may serve as a great bridge for me.

who is doing it? cause they either be quick match lurkers or new players who are just better but they brought along the unsavory habits formed from playing other fighters... [like SF.]