• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

Been in the lab with this character for the past couple of days, noticed a couple things that I haven't seen posted (if this is old news, my bad, just haven't seen it):

1. None of Big Band's grounded special moves are safe on block. None of his grounded heavy normals are safe either. c.MP is the only grounded medium normal he has that's safe. Fortunately stuff like s.LK c.MPx2 seems easy enough to hit confirm before committing to something unsafe.

2. LP and MP Beat Extend are strike invincible, but HP Beat Extend is fully invincible. This one seems like a bug? In training mode HP Beat Extend has strike invincible hit boxes, and Mike's notes say all versions can be grabbed, but I tested HP Beat Extend and it beats throws whereas the other two versions do not.
Tell Mike about #2

Tell Mike about #2
After retesting I was mistaken about this. When I tested it the first time, the opponent's grab was whiffing, which is why my HP Beat Extend beat it. I tried it again setting up the dummy to reversal with Merry-Go-Rilla and with Ultimate Showstopper and those both beat it. Thanks to @Broken Loose for pointing this out to me.

Actually in general Beat Extend seems kind of garbage as a reversal? Or even just as anti air. I was trying it out last night and it was just getting beaten out by random normals. I was mostly using the HP version, then later in the night I started switching to LP version. Maybe the MP version is the secret, I didn't try that one much.

Reactions: Tomo009
After retesting I was mistaken about this. When I tested it the first time, the opponent's grab was whiffing, which is why my HP Beat Extend beat it. I tried it again setting up the dummy to reversal with Merry-Go-Rilla and with Ultimate Showstopper and those both beat it. Thanks to @Broken Loose for pointing this out to me.

Actually in general Beat Extend seems kind of garbage as a reversal? Or even just as anti air. I was trying it out last night and it was just getting beaten out by random normals. I was mostly using the HP version, then later in the night I started switching to LP version. Maybe the MP version is the secret, I didn't try that one much.
HP Version I think is the best against ground? MP against air dashers?

Not sure, but HP version definitely gets beaten out a LOT by the like of Fillia.

im looking forward to see what his stage and theme will be

So what do I need to keep in mind at all times to make sure I don't accidentally get myself stuck in trumpet mode and immediately killed when using his s.MP?

So what do I need to keep in mind at all times to make sure I don't accidentally get myself stuck in trumpet mode and immediately killed when using his s.MP?

Never use LP, MP, LK or MK after it. Because that counts as the first note played on the trumpet and keeps you in a holding mode there you either play the next note or wait (2-3 seconds I think?) before Big B. drops the trumpet.

HP and HK can’t be used as the first note after s.MP, they cancel the trumpet immediately. They can be used as notes too, but only after you pressed one of the 4 other Buttons before it.

So only use these two and your fine. I personally only use the HP-launcher after the trumpet for an air-combo, even if blocked I don’t go into trumpet mode since s.HP was the last attack.

EDIT: Okay, forget what I said about MK, that one doesn’t count as the first note either. Just hit training mode to check it out again. But it doesn’t cancel into the attack like HP and HK would, if you press MK after s.MP, nothing happens. Big Band drops the trumpet like he would if you press s.MP alone and nothing afterwards.

So just don’t press LP, MP or LK after an s.MP and you’re fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: POS Industries
Personally hoped for his voice to be a bit distorted due to the face gear, a la Darth Vader or Dark Knight Rises' Bane.

Wow, so awesome.

I think I heard something like "If the world of love (?) falls, pick it up and hold it even higher.".

I like his voice, I imagined it with a more robotic-like resonance since he is a cyborg and all, but a more fluid and charismatic voice like the one they actually went with fits better. Can’t wait for more!

There are also much more sounds for his attacks and new menu tones.

I've had a suspicion for a while now that Big Band's air to airs are really bad, and after running a long set last night with @Shnarfl I feel more convinced that this is the case. His j.LK and j.MK are good air normals but they're clearly designed for hitting someone below you. Something I was trying a bit was using his jump punches chained into j.HK to try to air to air like that, but even though those moves can hit air to air, the hitboxes are not great. They got stuffed more often than not. I'm thinking like his best air to air might be air grab. A lot of time Shnarfl would empty jump out of respect for Super Sonic Jazz/Brass Knuckles/Beat Extend/Basically Every Move Big Band Has, so that gave a lot of opportunities for air grabs.

Reactions: blufang
Wow, so awesome.

I think I heard something like "If the world of love (?) falls, pick it up and hold it even higher.".

I like his voice, I imagined it with a more robotic-like resonance since he is a cyborg and all, but a more fluid and charismatic voice like the one they actually went with fits better. Can’t wait for more!

There are also much more sounds for his attacks and new menu tones.

It's "When the word of law falls, pick it up and hold it even higher."

His intro with Painwheel surprised me. I thought that would be something Saxplotation Big Band would say.

And for all we know, he probably will have robotic resonance. They just haven't added the effects yet.

good god I would take the voice spread it thick like peanut butter on toast and rub it all over my body if I could

no robo

edit: video added
edit 2: electric editaloo: fixed audio

Last edited:
good god I would take the voice spread it thick like peanut butter on toast and rub it all over my body if I could

no robo

edit: video added
Audio is too quiet. I'm using headphones with maxed out volume and it's still barely audible.

Audio is too quiet. I'm using headphones with maxed out volume and it's still barely audible.
Weird. It came out fine on my end. YouTube must have screwed it up. I'll see if I can fix this...

Edit: Should be much better now.

Last edited:
You missed some character specific ones.

Double: "I consider myself a gunslinger, copycat."

Peacock: "I KNOW you aint misbehaving."

Filia: "Hair like that will get you in trouble."

Parasoul: "We should be on the same side."

Reactions: blufang
It's "When the word of law falls, pick it up and hold it even higher."

Ah yes, that makes sense ^^

Sorry but English isn’t my native language so things get a little messed up when I try to write something down only by hearing. Having music playing alongside doesn’t help much either :D

Yeah I hope them adding a little voice effect, nothing heavy like Vader or Grievous but maybe some fine filters like he speaks trough a microphone.

The only problem I'm seeing now is that he's too quiet in comparison to the music. That can be fixed pretty easily, though.

You missed some character specific ones.

Double: "I consider myself a gunslinger, copycat."

Peacock: "I KNOW you aint misbehaving."

Filia: "Hair like that will get you in trouble."

Parasoul: "We should be on the same side."

Ms. Fortune: "Those are some choice pieces of calico."

I keep trying but I keep getting generic quotes. Weird.

Yeah I haven't gotten Painwheel's intro again every attempt I make. Sad because it's really awesome. (I still think they should've saved that line for the Saxplotation voicepack though)

EDIT: Okay got it now. It's "Girl, they got you looking all Maplecrest ragged."

Also apparently his intro with Squigly is "This sure takes me back." I'm guess that leaves only Cerebella and Valentine as the only two currently playable characters I haven't encountered a special intro line for yet.

EDIT2: Okay apparently that line WASN'T his intro for Squigly, the game just likes to make him say that with her the majority of the time. That or he has two: "Ain't you the snake's hips?"

Last edited:
I think that's the first Ms. Fortune pun that I don't even understand.
I think it's a reference to an old jazz standard called "A Gal in Calico." He's complimenting what she's wearing while also likening it to a breed of cat.

Reactions: Lavama
Thanks for the song POS.

Big band's voice doesn't feel right. I think it should be even lower and more gritty. Doesn't fit a giant man with a respirator.

I think they said that Big Band would have filters of some kind. I imagine they're going to put it in, they just haven't yet.

I like it how it is personally. Gritty doesn't fit someone as smooth as Big Band.

A filter is most likely going to be added though. Regardless, I like it either way.
It's too smooth though. It's like a Grizzly bear speaking ice-cream.

Soooooo....parries? Thoughts? Useless?
It's hard to say at this juncture since the tech hasn't really had a chance to be explored by people with better reads and reactions than I do, but so far I haven't seen parries used in any matches I've played or watched except for two occasions against me, one of which was confirmed as an accident and the other was Duckator and might have also been an accident, as well. Could go either way there.

BB seems like he has so many options to punish foolhardy offense already that anything left that parry could deal with could probably be handled just as easily by just blocking. I like the fact that he has such a tool at his disposal, but I'm personally at a loss as to when I should even consider making use of it.

I haven't had success adding parries in my gameplan. I am pretty rubbish with parries though, can only consistently parry fireballs.

I really don't feel gimped though, not being able to parry. So far Big Band has been a pretty solid character for me.

It is early and I'm not going to say useless, but so far it seems that in most situations it could be used, straight up super or a tambourine would have done the same job for not much more risk (especially if an assist is involved). Situationally it allows better punishes but is pretty difficult to pull off in practice in a game like SG.

With more stringent rules than 3S parries and with SG just being a much more chaotic game, the effectiveness wont ever reach that level I believe.

The thing that really makes it seem like a bad risk to reward prospect to me, is the chip damage you still receive. Just makes the equation point to either block or reversal than to parry for me in almost all situations.

Of course its situational uses will become more apparent with time so its hard to judge exactly how often it will be used in the future.

yah pretty much, it is safer to block, might as well since you are receiving chip anyways

The one use I've found for it so far is that if Parasoul is cornered you can parry Pillar xx Bikes and punish it. Other than that I haven't found a situation where it's useful.

Hard for me to say. I seem to only be able to parry projectiles properly at the moment. Let me practice with the Parry system a bit more and get back to you on that.

While I may still have some of the parrying down pat, online against mostly Europeans/Japanese doesn't help much. Have yet to try parries offline. Heck, I haven't even used Big Band offline since he was first "playable".

I think a good parrier would be very effective against characters who thrive on being Safe-on-Block, like Valentine.

I’m just going to say it straight out: For me, they are useless. It’s safer to block and anything other than projectiles comes too fast to react. Skullgirls is just too fast for parrying normal moves, and these are the ones who pick you up to high damage combos. Of course, there will be monsters who can parry everything with Big Band. I can’t, and I don’t know anybody who can do it in a real match. That’s another thing: Even if you can parry the moves technically, doing it in a real match is another story.

The only times I use parries is per accident. But that’s nice enough I guess.

And I can fight very well without it. I tried my luck against a friend of mine who has a very solid Peacock and was surprised that the heavy version of the Brass Knuckles just super armors trough nearly everything she can put up at the screen. I use this tactic against projectile heavy characters; every time a Parasoul or Peacock wants to zone me out I just throw the heavy Brass Knuckles out. Works most of the time, but of course it makes you very predictable.

For me, Parries don’t work in my play style and I’m not convinced about them being useful in a fast game like this at all.

My thoughts at the moment

Parry one hit on a good read and then DP or Super immediately. I think it's a really bad idea to parry and then try to read the next normal since you are at the mercy of the attacker since they choose if it's mid or low or how many hits in their multi hit attack before the next normal.

Chip on parrying specials I can respect, on normals I don't like but maybe it's needed. Can't block or jump I don't like but maybe it's needed.

Blocking is the better option 9 times out of 10.

I think I'd rather it to be weak than strong to be honest.

Edit: Read 12/25 patch notes

Last edited:
A filter is most likely going to be added though. Regardless, I like it either way.
I would hope they don't over use the filters. There's already waaaaaay too much on Double.

The real highlight is Rich's voice and I'd prefer they don't obscure that.

Reactions: Calypsx
I would hope they don't over use the filters. There's already waaaaaay too much on Double.

The real highlight is Rich's voice and I'd prefer they don't obscure that.
I like double's filtered voice. I actually don't like Rich's voice that much.