• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: whoa, found another glitch, if you do it at a specific moment, Fukua disappears completely, aside from her shadow. Repeating the move fixes it though.
Think of it as Twelve's taunt.

Reactions: gllt
Oh, random nitpicky note about Fukua - her s.LP is still called "Snip Snip" in the assist dialogue box even though its a different normal.
On this note, is that "Fukua mode set+k" thing staying? What does it mean?

Questions:
- Which animations look subpar and should get further looking-at if we are to appease the people who don't understand the concept of clone character? We may be able to do some traceover-holds or in-betweens to help them if I beg hard enough. And I can probably manage to get (or draw) a new projectile.
  • Her armored throw animation (inevitable Struggle) looks sub par. You can tell she is just her holding frames for about a quarter of a second.
  • This might be nitpicking but the drill effect on Platonic Drillationship just disappears when the attack is done so maybe some in-between frames for her hair transitioning between forms?
  • You already mentioned the projectile so that's about it from me, maybe time the hip sway on her LVL. 5 to time with the explosion for a little extra flair?
- Have any of you "No" people considered that the fact that she exists in as complete a form as she does already after this short a time could be a demonstration of the love that's been put into the game thus far? She could have been just a video. Jerks.
I'm aware that she's a well put together proof of concept, I just want her to not be subpar quality-wise because of a joke taken too far. I've said it a couple times earlier but I don't mind her getting in, I just object to how she is right now because there is a noticeable lack of consistency between her and the rest of the cast that I don't think should be there just because people want to poke fun at Capcom. There are good clone characters out there even if the difference is just skin deep (I miss giving people suppositories with Dr. Mario), or if they are pallette swaps with an added gimmick. Fukua can be the latter and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

- Why doesn't anyone remember that when I say "it's up to the community" what I really mean is "it's up to me unless the entire community disagrees, and then it's still up to me"? :^)
I don't know, the vain illusion that when something get's put up for consideration by the community it's not a rhetorical statement? When I saw her trailer and then saw her in the beta I figured she was getting in regardless of what else was said.

Reactions: erkicman
If you look at the overwhelming response to the poll, unless there's some sort of dramatic reversal of fan opinions and Mike suddenly does a 180 in his opinion, Fukua is going to be in the game. Kick and scream about it all you want but you're better off now arguing how she'll be implemented and the properties of the moves she has.

Cool, the projectile is the only thing that I'd change. And I really think it should change to something that looks less...placeholder-esque if there isn't too much work involved.

Hmm... I wonder what would happen if the hairball were replaced by... miniature versions of the thing that Samson shoots out during Filia's level 3 super? Could be tough to bounce it though...

Double's throw is her blocking animation which was never designed to be a throw, that one's entirely me / Big Band's ground command grab animation is the end of his air command grab / Valentine's command throw is her Lv3 and her KK super is her KK special with an effect added / Fortune's PP super is her rekka with an effect added combined with two normals / etc. This one stands out because...it's Fukua? More info that isn't as vague, please.

I don't think recycled frames was the issue that Chicken Boo had. I think the issue was that Fukua's QCF and QCB grabs need more in-between frames for a smoother look that's to par with the rest of the animations in SG.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
or why her hair color is what it is and what her favorite dairy treat is

Reactions: gllt
What exactly doesn't seem quality to everyone? The animations are fine for the most part. The only one that stands out to me as awkward is Love Dart not having a more fluid animation and is kind of at a still for a little too long maybe.

I concur with this. Its all i could really find until i actually TRIED to find things wrong... Scrutinizing artwork isnt my thing really but also:

Her fireball throw animation is wonky... Once scrutinized. But if not pointed out...well it takes some looking for to find imho... Still, once seen it can be slightly annoying... Though im Sure i personally would get over it pretty quick.

She has certain animations (forgive me because I'm away from my computer as i type this) that have particle effects around the sprite... Its easily tellable that these effects are lack of cleaning up of the frame for processing or some such... Just little white effects that encircle a sprite... Kinda like BB negative pen but much harder to notice and only shows up on a few frames.

Imho, these considerations... While they are a point of consideration... I would think lab zero would clean up after the indie go go funds or in mikes spare time once all the characters are finished. I dont find these things to be serious points of contention. But thats just me... I scrutinize gameplay way more than art.

Bringing up the "Selection quote" again in case Mike didn't see it. I think a lot of this "Confusing her with Filia" could be fixed if the announcer said "Fukua!" when someone picks her. Dunno how hard that would be to do.

Reactions: Professor Icepick
Wouldn't that mean they'd have to get the announcer voice actor into the booth, and pay him, just to say Fukua? Though I guess if Female announcer still has to be recorded it's not totally inconceivable.

splicing voiceclips together, obviously
though that might leave us with something like Fi-CAW-AH

Wouldn't that mean they'd have to get the announcer voice actor into the booth, and pay him, just to say Fukua? Though I guess if Female announcer still has to be recorded it's not totally inconceivable.
Well, don't they have to for "Beowulf!" "Robo-Fortune!" and "Eliza!"?

I think a lot of people would view her in a better light if her name was said by the announcer when she was picked, just for another bit of clarification

Nah fuck that, splice her announcing name together with previously used voice files, youtube poop style.

edit: ninja'd so hard i don't even

Well, don't they have to for "Beowulf!" "Robo-Fortune!" and "Eliza!"?
I figured those were already recorded.

Chances are the announcer lines were done way back when Squigly was being developed (or at least that's how I would have done it)
Though I like the notion of splicing sound bits together, or getting the voice actor to yell it into their low quality mic. Having bad sound when selecting Fukua might add to the joke.

Nah, I'd rather have them just say her name... the announcer that is.

Considering the voice actor for the announcer is Tomamoto, I doubt it'd be that hard to get in contact with him and get him to do a single line.

Reactions: Φ
i mean the guy did do the ZONE animation for kicks
you could probably just hit him up on skype

Will she have a tutorial?

Fukua shouldn't be on release versions until all the Indiegogo characters are done as respect to the Indiegogo backers.
I'm pretty sure most of the people who voted yes AND no backed the indiegogo campaign, myself included... Really, I'm in the credits.

Fukua shouldn't be on release versions until all the Indiegogo characters are done as respect to the Indiegogo backers.
She would be coming to all platforms when Eliza is finished according to Ravi. As an indiegogo backer myself I'm confused when you say we should get "respected" by delaying her until the end. That is highly illogical considering she is a bonus character (similar to Robo Fortune yet again since she wasn't a vote character either) that was added due to Lab 0/Mike's good graces while not hindering the development of the other future SG assets since this was done during personal spare time. Shame on them with surprising us with another character the nerve of them!

Excuse me, Mike, but I must ask, besides giving her an 'aura' of sorts to differentiate her from Filia, I think a lot of people would view her in a better light if her name was said by the announcer when she was picked, just for another bit of clarification.

Think she may get this?
If she stays she'd get it eventually, yes, whenever we have Tomar again. Tomaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr where are you?
Unless, say, @POS Industries wants to help us out in the meantime? :^P

If she stays she'd get it eventually, yes, whenever we have Tomar again. Tomaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr where are you?
I'm in.

But I'm recording voice clips for both the "official" pronunciation and the obvious real one.

"If"? You sounded pretty confident before. :P

Ravi mentioned that they won't make any final decisions until roughly a week has passed according to this interview. That would give enough time to gauge the interest levels once the day one hype dies down. Seems very likely she will stay though.

Not sure if you saw earlier posts, but we also suggested she have like the glow (Similar to painwheel when she goes into hatred install).

I hope she stays, even as a hidden code character or anything really. I just wish there was a way to easily tell her apart when you have a team with her and Filia because I occasionally get them confused up on top and call out the wrong one.

Wah!! I don't like thing!

Thing shouldn't be in game!

Okay, I know I'm probably gonna get shot with machine gun rounds in the middle of the street for it, but... I don't want her to stay. I've already said why in the discussion, so I'll just summarize it here: she's not developed enough to be in the game.

Guys, seriously, be reasonable here. The reason all of the characters are so good is because Lab Zero spent lots and LOTS of time and money on each individual character. Fukua took, like, 3 days! I'm sorry, but compared to the rest of the cast, that just screams "not developed enough" to me. And frankly, almost everyone saying to keep her in... it really makes me feel uncomfortable with this community.

Okay, I know I'm probably gonna get shot with machine gun rounds in the middle of the street for it, but... I don't want her to stay. I've already said why in the discussion, so I'll just summarize it here: she's not developed enough to be in the game.

Guys, seriously, be reasonable here. The reason all of the characters are so good is because Lab Zero spent lots and LOTS of time and money on each individual character. Fukua took, like, 3 days! I'm sorry, but compared to the rest of the cast, that just screams "not developed enough" to me. And frankly, almost everyone saying to keep her in... it really makes me feel uncomfortable with this community.
... Did you bypass everything Mike said? If you did, please go back and read everything he's written in the past two pages or so.

- Which animations look subpar and should get further looking-at if we are to appease the people who don't understand the concept of clone character? We may be able to do some traceover-holds or in-betweens to help them if I beg hard enough. And I can probably manage to get (or draw) a new projectile.
Let's see
- Fireball just disappears without any sort of additional effect. To compare: Val's Shuriken is 1/4th as big (much less of an issue for it to just disappear) and has a very pronounced dust cloud when it lands
- Drill obviously has her not transform the hair into Drill, or back from Drill into normal state. Transforming into isn't much of an issue because it's pretty fast (it does however not look very pretty, as it's not fluent but a very thin hair start and then the thick base of the Ringlet suddenly appearing), transforming out of IS an issue because right now it's just layered on top of Filia's jab, which you can see quite clearly in the background
http://s14.directupload.net/images/140402/oiyp2zxh.jpg shows both the jab behind the ringlet and the ugly cut from thin hair lines to thick Ringlet base
- Some sort of animation for the armored command grab that doesn't make it look like the game froze is lacking
- Idle stance looks entirely different from all of her normals and her recovery frames and her walk etc without any transitioning frames in between (walk>idle has some, idle>walk doesn't; rhythmically pressing Throw looks rather choppy)
- Lack of transition frames from cheeky hipshake to Filia dash animation for the initial transparent Fukua in the KK-Super, also lack of transition frames for the 2nd part (main fukua holding hip > disappearing)
- Both Command Grabs just feel choppy in general, transition frames from the Ground Throw part to the Airthrow one? Or something, dunno what's missing here but it just doesn't feel good E: Also probably some frames when bashing from left to right and vice versa, as right now it just teleports

Drill is honestly my biggest gripe, Fireball looks comparably okay to me

I'm no artist so I'm sure someone who actually knows these things can find more, those are just what I notice when dancing in training mode

Further notes:
- Reused animations are fine, but the same animation for Throw, Airthrow, 236Throw, 214Throw and Lvl5 is.. a bit much
- Reused normals are fine, but the same Frame Data / Hitboxes / etc for s.LK c.LK s.MP c.MP c.MK s.HP c.HP s.HK c.HK j.LK j.MP j.HP is.. a bit much (+ whatever normals are actually the same and just look a bit different, ie j.LP? It has the same hitboxes with slightly different hurtboxes)
- Same thing with Airthrow, Groundthrow, Tagin, Tagout etc being the exact 1:1 same (rather than as eg someone from the IRC said, the Tagin being a horizontal Updo)

Really, the main difference to Filia is Doublejump vs Airdash. I'd LOVE if her normals got more differentiated and she got a proper poke that wasn't just Filia c.HP

- Have any of you "No" people considered that the fact that she exists in as complete a form as she does already after this short a time could be a demonstration of the love that's been put into the game thus far? She could have been just a video. Jerks.
Yeah, I love her as a joke. The trailer made me smile (quite a feat!!), and actually playing her is hilarious. My initial reaction was "Wow she has a TK Fireball, she's cool!".

I just don't think she's much more than that, and quite frankly believe you're insulting yourself if you think that a 3day character can be half as well made as the rest of this game.

If you get to touch up the transition frame issues and somehow find a way to change her normals that sufficiently differentiates them from Filia's without being a lot of work, I'll heartily welcome her into the roster as I actually think she may be a character I'd play, but as it stands imo she deteriorates the overall quality of SG - I could look past the animation as I don't really notice it while playing, but 90% of her normals being 1:1 copies is just .. not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I signed in for the first time in months to yell 'WHY THE HELL NOT???'

Might take a bit more polish to 'complete' perhaps, but

Status
Not open for further replies.