• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Possible new IPS

Also, resets shouldn't really be mentioned when talking about 1 off combo damage since resets are 2 combos. AND ARE NOT GUARANTEED.
I mentioned resets not because of damage, but because you were worried about execution. If you don't think that your execution is good enough, then your combo isn't exactly guaranteed either if you drop it often. As for execution becoming more demanding... I guess you'll just have to put in more work for your damage or sacrifice a little bit of damage to do something easier.

I... don't like this at all, seeing how I main Double and the best source of damage for her is her barrel loop for me...
At the very least everyone should give a whirl. We can't knock it until we try it, y'know. I, personally, am lookin' forward to it.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I will be waiting for a relatively optimized combo for fortune and valentine, while I'm here I will partake in the whine though, it's delicious. (And I'm having computer problems so I couldn't play even if I wanted to).

And I am kind of having reservations about the complexity of super IPS, it's just minor though. I'll wait at least a week before I make any claims I want to stick by.

Seems to be Squigly would have a LOT of trouble with this. Divekick loops would be gone, stancel loops into hpx2 would be out. J.HP re-jump loops would be out.

I don't know what her combos would even look like.

#Reading

Squigly, one bar + lv2 dragon

cr.LK cr.MK s.HP sx
s.HP sx
cr.MP s.HP xx qcf+MK
[instant] j.qcf+HK
cr.MK s.HK
[delay] j.MK j.HP
[instant] j.LK j.MK j.HK
s.LP cr.MK cr.HP xx qcf+LK xx qcb+LKMK
cr.LK cr.MK cr.HP xx ender

Complies with starter tracking, ender tracking and undizzy. Does ~9k damage, plusminus. WHAT NOW MIKE Z

Reactions: VIVIT_rv00
Seems to be Squigly would have a LOT of trouble with this. Divekick loops would be gone, stancel loops into hpx2 would be out. J.HP re-jump loops would be out.

I don't know what her combos would even look like.

Think of it this way: old IPS was about how you start the combo chains; now IPS is about where the chain leads to. So before you could do those loops you mentioned so long as each loop string started with a different opener. Now you can use whatever opener (?) as long as the next chain ends with something else.

So a new Squigly combo might start with one hpx2 chain, then go into a single divekick chain, then go into the J.HP rejump to super.

Before you could just learn one loop and do OK with it; now you have to think about what your next move is going to be and where the opponent is going to end up.

I LOVE THAT THIS GAME ALLOWS DIFFERENT IDEAS TO BE PRACTICED IN BETA TO IMPROVE OVERALL ENTERTAINMENT VALUE OF THIS PRODUCT!

So glad they're not simply adding in characters and stages to the game but really optimizing the playstyle and pacing to make this the best possible game it can be. We are very lucky to have such a dedicated team working on a game that is valued so highly by this community.

I mean, every character is equally effected by this. PW loses buer loops, double lose barrel loops. El gato, val's rejumps with j.hp, napalm shot loops...Everyone's got to learn new stuff.
It's not the same. c.hp, j.lk, j.hk isn't a loop, really, you can only do it once. It causes a ground bounce, to do it a second time means the combo is over. There are no other buttons you can add before a j.hk like that to keep it from ground bouncing (unless off a c.mk, and off a c.hp only if she gets her old j.mp hitstun back, but even then j.mp doesn't allow moves before it so she gets one "j.mp, j.hk"). I'm just saying, it really is nothing like barrel/napalm/buer/bomb/anything loops, cause j.lk/j.mk, j.hk isn't a loop.

That aside, the only part of Cerebella really getting nerfed is "multiple Devil Horns". She's got a few other ones, only one j.hp in a combo midscreen, no multiple j.hp light character corner stuff, no more s.mp stagger, j.hk, j.lk, j.mp, j.hk on Double, but that's about it I think. My problem with j.lk, j.hk doesn't really matter cause you can get damage without it (probably more), but I liked doing it.

TL;DR: I'm looking forward to testing this "SPI" in beta as soon as we can...even now. I'm sure squigly will get along ok...maybe, but naturally aside from that one combo someone made, I hope there will still be other avenues through which to deal maximized damage & have variation/swag w/out using a bar every combo. But anyways, let's try it out :)

I look forward to see what is ahead, but I must admit I'm nervous for squigly :( and divekick loops are definitely reset friendly...although I'm starting to think I'm the only squigly who generously resets....-_- we can easily do resets without the loops of course, but I guess if have to mess with things to see what can be done.

OH! Question...will H Divekick be the same as performing an M Divekick...? Or are they counted as the same move?

And if you space things well you can actually just end a jump loop w/j.hk I'd you're low enough. It's tougher than the divekick definitely but with practice....

Also, I'm sure s.mk, the move that launches an opponent not on the ground will do something useful...but in general I'm assuming the new "SPI" will count command normals and normals of the same button still right.

Just kind of worried about the Enders for her. I know someone's made a combo. Yeah cool beans for sure, but just hoping there's still variety aside from that one combo. But again, I'd love to try it out in beta asap.

SPI sounds stupid. Call it something like Stylish Combo Encouragement System, or SCES.

Jeez. I hate liking certain characters because they always get a wrench thrown at them for playing them the way I like and I have to start all the fuck over again.

At first, I liked going into training and coming up with my own stylish, universal combos (very important to me that they were universal with the way weight classes and hurtboxes vary) that pushed IPS as much as it would allow and I think the current version of this system is fine... but that's just me. But I'm tired of doing this every time IPS gets changed (and people still won't be happy and will still bitch even if this goes through in the long run). I think I'll just wait until the last patch (lord knows whenever that is) and then watch a video of whatever stupid optimized combo some OTHER guy comes up with 'cause fuck this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
I can't get Halo terminology out of my head after hearing "SPI" now.

Yeah, I read Mike's post after I had posted that. That said, I think it will still affect damage (or up the skill for execution that it will implicitly affect damage) for a lot of characters. I keep thinking about PW, and depending on how it is implemented, it could potential hurt her damage potential (@Krackatoa where are you when we need you!).

Of course, back to my original post, MikeZ did say that community drives the vision (even if it is contrary to his vision), and a reset heavy/shorter combo game does seem to be what the community wants... so I'm still hopeful.

You don't want my opinion here. All I see is a new excuse to do labwork.

If general engine changes nerf PW into the ground, I'll still be happy.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
Jeez. I hate liking certain characters because they always get a wrench thrown at them for playing them the way I like and I have to start all the fuck over again.

At first, I liked going into training and coming up with my own stylish, universal combos (very important to me that they were universal with the way weight classes and hurtboxes vary) that pushed IPS as much as it would allow and I think the current version of this system is fine... but that's just me. But I'm tired of doing this every time IPS gets changed (and people still won't be happy and will still bitch even if this goes through in the long run). I think I'll just wait until the last patch (lord knows whenever that is) and watch then a video of whatever stupid optimized combo some OTHER guy comes up with 'cause fuck this.
I understand your frustration. As someone that sucks at designing his own combos I know where you are coming from. It's REALLY irritating to have to throw out much of what we already know as far as combos and go back to the drawing board. But I think you would be well served to stay in the community... Sg is a good game as it is now, and I don't think mike will kill it via stupid decisions like some would.

IT IS wholeheartedly a pain in the ass to make up new combos rather than just learning the fucking game, I also make universal combos cause I can't stand having to use highly situational combos (after a year I still haven't tried to learn painwheels corner specific loops) but I think this game has some very original characters and gameplay. So don't go dude, just do what I do (and everyone else does) which is mix and match many different combos into one that fits you :)

Also, damn it's been awhile since we talked... Dem chun threads... Good times.

Last edited:
If you hate doing that I don't know what the hell you're doing playing fighting games, try and ask me how many times I relearned Melty Blood through a 7 year period.

Go ahead.

If you hate doing that I don't know what the hell you're doing playing fighting games, try and ask me how many times I relearned Melty Blood through a 7 year period.

Go ahead.
6 times?

Go ahead.

ask me how many times I had to relearn brawl through a 5 year period.

Hi guys.

MegamanDS here. I endorse any new change including this change.

Go ahead.

Ask me how many times i relearned my sf4 combos and st combos and a2 combos and a3 combos and soul calibur 2 combos and cvs2 combos and mvc2 combos... Go ahead.

Also, i dont really care how many times you relearned combos in an obscure fg. Same as i dont care if you walked 10 miles to school in freezing weather, while fighting off rabid dogs going uphill.

Reactions: Icky
I'm feeling a shitstorm coming on.

I'm so happy I'm here for this one and not gonna miss it like with Bobby boy's.

So does this mean SPI is the new official name for the possiblymaybeifit'sstillgotachanceofeventouchingthebeta new IPS?
and does that mean SPI stands for System for Preventing Infinites?
Well either way if I get more of a chance to fight back instead of being stuck watching for awhile I'm fine with it.

EDIT: ACTUALLY after reading a bit more damage is still pretty nasty but it doesn't seem like it lasts as long? I dunno.

I like the idea of this change but I don't know if the payoff (less repetitive combos) is worth forcing everybody to re-learn their B&B's.

Reactions: Icky
You don't want my opinion here. All I see is a new excuse to do labwork.

If general engine changes nerf PW into the ground, I'll still be happy.

Haha, I was jokingly asking you to put up a demo PW combo... not asking for your opinion on the proposed changes :)

I like the idea of this change but I don't know if the payoff (less repetitive combos) is worth forcing everybody to re-learn their B&B's.

This is a fair point.

If the changes are merely visual, than what's the point?

I pray SPI isn't the name that sticks for IPS2.0

Don't derail this into which game is more obscure between SG and MB.

The complaints about learning are dumb. Whether the game gets patched or just gets played for a while, you're going to be learning "new things" (like improved bnbs) regardless in a game this young.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
Just wanna chime in that the potential to lose undizzy is rekindling my interest in the game, but I choose to be cautiously optimistic rather than rabidly excited. TBH it doesn't bother me as much now as it did when I first tried the beta out but then again I also am far less of a fan of the game now so it's possible that I just don't care as much*. Even if undizzy is left in I will support the game when the console patch drops. Recently I haven't been interested enough to boot my windows box to play SG, so there is a chance that it has improved immensely. That's what I am hoping anyway.

* About this game in particular. I still care about elegant game design in general.

Oh, it has improved immensely.

That said, at this point, the new IPS sounds interesting enough that I'm probably going to take a semi-break until it comes out. Don't want to get burned out before it arrived, and I've been feeling some burnout towards SG lately due to all the lab monster combos. (That said, I don't expect those combos to actually be nerfed by this change)

whatever. xbox wont be getting this change for like a fucking year two weeks anyway so yea.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
Hi guys.

MegamanDS here. I endorse any new change including this change.

Parasoul's punch attacks now have hurtboxes so everything trades with them. All her overheads are now 60 frames startup and cannot be canceled. Each super takes up 5 meters. Solo characters deal 500% damage.

I will support this if it gets rid of undizzy.
It is just more appealing to me to have one unified system. It would be like unifying Special Relativity and Quantum mechanics.

man i fucking hate it when i have to spend a day learning new combos and then look back and say "hahaha that last version sucked ASS"
It took me 15 minutes to get a new Filia combo down that fits with this system and has multiple reset options for 4k meterless and I'm not exactly good at execution. My bella combo does 5k (more with meter) and also fits with this system. Even my 6k headless Fortune combo (1 meter) still works and it's pretty easy to pull off at the same time as having plenty of reset options.

The "I have to relearn my combos" argument is the worst thing because at the very least your jump-in, your first ground chain, your air chain and your second ground chain will all work and those are the parts that deal the majority of your damage (see Isa's thread about damage to find out more).

Last edited:
Oh, this thread is still going?

In case you missed it - I like what Undizzy does for forcing you not to do Long Combo 1 -> reset -> Long Combo 1. That's likely why Dime hates it, and it sure ain't elegant, but damn if it doesn't do EXACTLY what I wanted. It will probably not be going away for that reason.
And I simply do not understand those who say undizzy negatively affects resets just because it negatively affects max-stun combos into resets. That's the entire point, and that doesn't mean it affects all resets equally. Since you can do combos that do over 4.5k and accrue near-zero stun, resets are the strongest option to go for by far considering two allows you to kill after that for no meter.

Yes, supers are strong. New games have tended to move away from this, and that's something I disliked. (If you think reversal supers or safe DHCs are strong here you never played MvC2...)

@Dime_x It wasn't about snapping in the assist, it was about snapping someone to ruin DHC order. You missed that person's point.

And yes, I've derailed, but I'm tired of talking about the topic.

In case you missed it - I like what Undizzy does for forcing you not to do Long Combo 1 -> reset -> Long Combo 1. That's likely why Dime hates it, and it sure ain't elegant, but damn if it doesn't do EXACTLY what I wanted. It will probably not be going away for that reason.
And I simply do not understand those who say undizzy negatively affects resets just because it negatively affects max-stun combos into resets. That's the entire point, and that doesn't mean it affects all resets equally. Since you can do combos that do over 4.5k and accrue near-zero stun, resets are the strongest option to go for by far considering two allows you to kill after that for no meter.

Yes, supers are strong. New games have tended to move away from this, and that's something I disliked. (If you think reversal supers or safe DHCs are strong here you never played MvC2...)

@Dime_x It wasn't about snapping in the assist, it was about snapping someone to ruin DHC order. You missed that person's point.

Were you originally planning to make Undizzy stricter during the Beta testing phase? I think you should have sticked with that idea.

Thank you for explaining things mike. You are quite correct about that being why i dont like undizzy,.. That is EXACTLY why i dont like undizzy... Or might i say.. Didnt like it. I didnt know what your philosophy was and it just seemed redundant to me when I'm just trying to kill stuff as fast as possible... I mean how could i NOT be mad? I want to kill and your vision which you hadn't yet described, flies directly in the face of that need to kill :)

Also, one of the biggest reasons why i dislike the idea of the new ips is precisely because of the longer neutral... Its because i think painwheel has one of the worst neutrals in the game. I could be completely wrong of course, and i realize that of course. But when one thinks the way i do:

(EVERYONE agrees that painwheel is low tier and perhaps the worst in the game before squigly) but when we look at painwheel, it kinda doesnt make sense at first glance:

Painwheel has some of the highest damage in the game, AND some of the best resets in the game, or at the very least some of the most varied resets and a huge selection of them. With that gong for her how could she be low tier?

My answer is she kinda has booty neutral (in my mind) Or, if that isnt a good descriptor, then it might best be described as she has an easy to counter general strategy (fly in and go offensive)

I want to go on, but I'm missing the point. The point isnt whether im right or not. Its just that if the game gets more neutral heavy, well then from my pov, painwheel gets worse. Same as more neutral means that peacock and val get better since they are basically super neutral.

But like i said, this isnt about what i think, I'm just trying to explain my thought process. If i didnt main an on point pw i seriously doubt id care about this proposed ips change. The upped execution that i hypothesize as well as the changing of combos are only minor complaints in my mind... Quite live withable. The only thing is that i want painwheel to be good. I'm NOT asking for her to be made good... I just want her to be... Idk if that makes any sense... Probably not to some. I dont believe in asking for buffs. I just dont want nerfs, direct or indirect doesnt matter, both in my mind are basically one in the same, which i guess is something else that we dont agree on.

Tldr:

Thanks for explaining your philosophy and design decisions. It allows me to point my team structuring and general strategy in the right direction. I know that as a game dev you may not want to spoon feed this kind of info to undeservings such as myself. But its the exact reason that we have you to talk to and voice our opinions to that makes me (us?) so loud. Were this a capcom game i wouldnt waste my breath with my opinions cause i know they fall on completely deaf ears.

And i also understand that it can be hard to have everyone (stupid non dev mofos) second guessing your every decision about game balance when they dont know the full game mechanics nor have ever made an fg. But all i can say is that if i didnt care.... I wouldnt be writing long posts such as this one on these forums.

Im sorry that that tldr is quite long. I hope that you continue forward with a more open policy as to why you do things because if we dont know... Then we are trying to design ways to get long combo into long combo when that isnt really what the game is being designed to do.

GAH thats a lot even for me. I think im done posting for awhile.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex