• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Robo-Fortune: "Why Do I Feel Pain, Creator" edition!

Not sure if this has been said yet, but one of her limbs pop off and runs from her for a victory pose?

So does that mean robo doesn't have control of her body parts? lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't know much about Eliza and Beowulf's gameplay at this point, much less Robo Fortune's, who's probably going to be the last DLC character. Robo Fortune is still a mystery.

Well we have a decent bit of information all three of them, we have seen Eliza's blood mechanics, Beowulf had a decent amount of concept art and Robo fortune has been given some ideas about what she is like. Although they could all change that when they start making the characters.

Well we have a decent bit of information all three of them, we have seen Eliza's blood mechanics, Beowulf had a decent amount of concept art and Robo fortune has been given some ideas about what she is like. Although they could all change that when they start making the characters.
Yes, but that is rather old info. Any attempts to ask Mike Z questions about those characters on stream mostly result in either vague answers or "Just wait till we finish Big Band and start on those characters". It's still understandable why they want to keep it a secret though. I asked once how Big Band would deal with Zoning Characters if his Parry won't work on Projectiles and then a week or 2 later Mike Z revealed the Slide Head-like move (Potemkin's Anti-Zoning move) on stream.

Fair point, so it's probably best to continue speculating until we actually get to Robo fortune, which will be a while.

*sigh* I guess it will be awhile.....still should be worth it once we get to her, ya know with robo originally just gonna be a color instead of a full character. Every time I hear that aspect I cant help but just realize how epic it is to get her someday cuse she wouldn't be who she is if it weren't fr the fans lol.

But really, there's memes and then there's references. Memes are just crappy jokes that are repeated over and over by people on the internet. The only one of those that is a meme is the cheeseburger one and maybe the "winners don't do drugs" one, and... .

Just to clarify, the "Winners don't use drugs" is a reference to an intro screen in a lot of the arcade games back in the day.

Just to clarify, the "Winners don't use drugs" is a reference to an intro screen in a lot of the arcade games back in the day.
Yes, I knew that. It's a really commonly used video game culture meme, though.
IMO (not sure if there's really a universally accepted definition of "meme" especially since a lot of people seem to think they're exclusively captions put on generic pictures when that's a pretty recent thing) Memes don't necessarily originate on the internet, that's just the place where they become obnoxiously overused.

meme
[meem]
noun
a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition in a manner analogous to the biological transmission of genes.

There's a reason why internet memes are called "internet memes" internet being the adjective for the noun which existed since forever (then ends up being wrong lol)

Yay for learning time!

Anyway I wonder if it would be okay to make Robo Fortune faster or if maybe she'll have those short dashes since she's probably heavier. I also hope its claws can extend.

Yes, I knew that. It's a really commonly used video game culture meme, though.
IMO (not sure if there's really a universally accepted definition of "meme" especially since a lot of people seem to think they're exclusively captions put on generic pictures when that's a pretty recent thing) Memes don't necessarily originate on the internet, that's just the place where they become obnoxiously overused.

I honestly didn't know it was used as a meme online. I just vividly remember that screen from all the quarters I put in playing WWF Wrestlefest, the greatest arcade wrestling game of all time. LOL

Anyway I wonder if it would be okay to make Robo Fortune faster or if maybe she'll have those short dashes since she's probably heavier. I also hope its claws can extend.
I really hope not.
Since the goal is apparently to reskin fortune's animations into a character that plays radically different, "more rushdowny" is frankly the last direction I would want this to go in.

I really hope not.
Since the goal is apparently to reskin fortune's animations into a character that plays radically different, "more rushdowny" is frankly the last direction I would want this to go in.
She is a robo-cat, not a robo-turtle.

Well then what direction would you want Robo to take per say so she's not a copy of Nadia?

Not be another puppet character archetype would be a great start. Would make character too similar to the original in design otherwise which defeats the point. Instead use the head as an explosive projectile (Head would regenerate back on body instintaneously) or a command grab similar to Alice explosive head in Tekken perhaps ?

That way it stays true to the whole robotic counterpart angle while at the same time you know its an artificial imitation of regular Fortune.

Overall Robo would be slower in movement and startup (makes sense Robo is made of metal not flesh) then Ms. Fortune, but better Spacing/Footsie tools (Robo should have a respectful arsenal that should be "Perfection" over the original) where Mid-Range combat would be ideal for it in contrast to how regular Fortune wants to be in your face to scratch you up.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
That actually sounds like a legit different character right there, I bet the blockbusters will be fun for Robo.

Some stuff folks suggested before the board's second demise were (with more I'll just throw in):
- Fortune's head toss being a projectile (as Number 13 just suggested)
- some of the animation of Fifth of Dismember be used for a Cyrax-esque teleport
- Fortune's winpose used as a throw/command throw with Robo either puncturing the opponent or juggling her with energy blasts
- Feral Edge used as a special move in land; dash forward with tail stab and with a well time second press of P, Robo does the finishing swing
- Fortune's snapback (tail as baseball bat) used as a Round Trip styled projectile
- Cat Scratch Fever's finisher (the drill upper) as a anti-air (maybe c.HP or a DP special move)
- Fiber Upper's animation re-used as a air special move (think of it as a long ranged poking tool)
- opening toaster slits on her chest and fire Fortune-headed poptart missiles. HYPER FORTUNYAN FORCE

These are all assorted ideas and don't really respect a single gameplay archetype but the point is, the team can get creative and give a lot of twists to Ms Fortune's moveset.

I actually love that juggling idea and the teleport one I hope she gets those ones for sure X3

From my memory, I thought mike and alex were leaning towards a mid-range jojo style zoner and rush down hybrid. The heads acts like a remote stand, can fly, and can shoot projectiles or act as a bomb.

If they went that route I think it's be interesting is the head acted like Nadia'amain body to an extent. It'd probably be horribly balanced if there wasn't a major downside, but it'd be interesting.

So she could somewhat projectile crazy?

So she could somewhat projectile crazy?
Naw, that's pure keep away (peacock). Zoners just want you in a specific area that they control very well. Think Parasoul in terms of general gameplay

She is a robo-cat, not a robo-turtle.
Well excuse me for wanting the robot to be a zoning character.
But seriously, we have plenty of rushdown. Beowulf appears to be a grappler. If we could get another zoning character, that would be great.
I was imagining her as a little bit more of a slow paced zoner, kind of like dhalsim. Because, you know... they both have stretchy limbs and stuff...

Reactions: Vadsamoht
About Dhalsim's style.
Some weeks ago I imagined RF like a robot, parts of which connected with chains. So she can shoot her hands and grab opponents (to electroshock or drag to her) like Hazama's snakes from BB, do low to high trick-hits and counter-grabs (defencive electroshock) like Axel from GG, use her head like a flail and middle parts of hands like a flindbar. So she becomes middle zoner with avarage mobility and high defencive skills in close distance with some heavy moves.

Last edited:
I actually think the hazama play style route combined with a few tricks like the explosive head or missiles would be a good route to head for robo, would definitely be more different then current Nadia no?

I still like my oil slick idea. . .

About Dhalsim's style.
Some weeks ago I imagined RF like a robot, parts of which connected with chains. So she can shoot her hands and grab opponents (to electroshock or drag to her) like Hazama's snakes from BB, do low to high trick-hits and counter-grabs (defencive electroshock) like Axel from GG, use her head like a flail and middle parts of hands like a flindbar. So she becomes middle zoner with avarage mobility and high defencive skills in close distance with some heavy moves.
I was thinking she could have her limbs shoot out as projectiles. They would be really good projectiles (probably aimable) with the expense being that she's locked out of her normals involving that limb until she's regrown it. The problem with that is, of course, I don't know if you can insert that sort of mechanic while still using mostly ms.fortune's animations, but it would be cool.
Although with the dhalsim thing, I imagine that it would be more like sentinel's rocket punch in practice. The way that dhalsim moves is too fluid to fit robo fortune as a character imo.

I feel still it shuld be more like hazama and not dhalsim, dhalsim style should be saved for Ileum.

I was thinking she could have her limbs shoot out as projectiles. They would be really good projectiles (probably aimable) with the expense being that she's locked out of her normals involving that limb until she's regrown it. The problem with that is, of course, I don't know if you can insert that sort of mechanic while still using mostly ms.fortune's animations, but it would be cool.
Although with the dhalsim thing, I imagine that it would be more like sentinel's rocket punch in practice. The way that dhalsim moves is too fluid to fit robo fortune as a character imo.
Depends on how the sprites are layered and how the Z-Engine is made.If there is a specific body part in its own layer, you could probably just make that layer transparent if the Z-Engine allows it.

She could take some inspiration from Cyrax, like the teleport move or some buzzsaw

How is gonna be her final design? Something like that video were Stanley explains the costs of a character?

Gz7X1Sk.jpg

This is probably the closest we got to an official design, and even that can very well change.

JpREGVN.jpg

Big Band's design changed a lot in the course of little more than a year. Robo-Fortune won't even enter concept design until around August of next year, so her final design is up in the air too.

I get the impression that Lab Zero wants to find the sweet spot with the design where they can make a clear Robo-Ky reference without outright stealing the character.

Moving this to the Robo-section.

Robo fortune has 3 head designs. That evo shirt one the other that's styled like metal sonic expect it's a cyclops and the third reminds me of robo cop for some reason, it has that visor look to it. So either all three are the final and they will interchange or there is none.

I still want sword-tail action. I want to cut a bitch.

I remember reading a quote from one of the L0 members (probably from before the site went down a few months ago) saying that it was a running joke that she looks different every time they draw her. So it's likely that she'll look entirely different to everything we've already seen.

EDIT: Or she's a shape-shifting machine like in Terminator 2.

Give Robo Fortune Steins Gunners but multiple heads will be the Steins Gunners. Make her God SS+ Tier.

EDIT: Or she's a shape-shifting machine like in Terminator 2.

lol that would be awesome

Or maybe she replaces her head everytime they explode.