• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

So I have a question. Everything about Persona sounds awesome, but I basically know nothing about it. I'm really interested in playing Persona 4, but do I need to play through any of the others or the SMT games first in order to know all the backstory? I have very limited time to play really long RPG's, you see.

Persona games are in the same universe, but they all stand alone. That usually applies to mainline SMT games too, with the only exceptions in my mind being Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou games. You can play any game in the series and be able to understand it for yourself.

Reactions: Gamesandgoodies
Yea each one's stand-alone. Part of the same universe but none interact with each other, so just jump right in, enjoy the ride, and make sure you bring a kleenex box with you for the inevitable tears of laughter and sorrow that will follow.

Be prepared to laugh for the wrong reasons.at P3 FES's Magician rank if you play that game though. That link was probably a prototype that really shouldn't have made it into the final game.

Ok thanks everyone. Now to actually get my hands on it...

Persona 4 is definitely the best game to start with, afterwards, if you liked what you played, branch out into Persona 3, and then Shin Megami Tensei IV and Nocturne.

Don't do it; it's a trap! You'll get sucked into the series and start debating who's the best waifu!
Wait that sounds familiar...

It's on the PSN store for $10

Yeah but that requires some kind of a Playstation console. I might consider the Playstation TV when it comes out, since it's cheaper than a Vita.

I actually feel Devil Survivor Overclocked is a good SMT game to get into the series with too. Though that might only be because it was mine.

If you have a 3DS, I HIGHLY recommend picking it up. Manages to balance the character writing people expect in Persona with the usual Law-Chaos axis that the mainline games use, plus the gameplay itself is pretty fun too. Especially once you get the real good physical skills and wreck the endgame.

Reactions: AxHell
I actually feel Devil Survivor Overclocked is a good SMT game to get into the series with too. Though that might only be because it was mine.

Devil Survivor was my first taste of the SMT world and it definitely hooked me in to the rest of it. Would also recommend.

I would also recommend Soul Hackers on the 3DS

I would also recommend Soul Hackers on the 3DS
That's one SMT game I never got a chance to pick up?

How was it?

It's basically the bridge between older SMT games and modern SMT games. Apparently, it's VERY good, but I wouldn't know, as I don't have any Nintendo handheld newer than the GBA SP.

I really liked it. It had a nice story with interesting characters and universe.

You have the first person view while exploring the dungeons, you can talk to demons and they still ask for your opinion/money/macca.

Macca here is extremely important, it's like oxygen for demons so if you have demons in your party (and you should obviously) well they'll eat more or less macca so you have to be careful about that. But you can collect them by talking to demons, exploring dungeons or exchanging them for money.

The tool for summoning demons here is a gun, and you can customize it with mods that can allow you to talk to demons during a full moon, recover hp while you walk..

You also have fusions (double and tri), sword-fusion and you can create a marionette. I didn't use that but it looks cool.

Also demons have natures : Some prefer magic attacks, physical, do whatever they want, heal...

There's a lot of things in this game that makes it a great SMT game. But it's kind of easy and short for a SMT game, but that's why it's perfect for newcomers

Reactions: Fat-Ass ♪
Shame on me for asking how was it.

Every SMT game is good. The hell is wrong with me.

Shame on me for asking how was it.

Every SMT game is good. The hell is wrong with me.

Shuuuu..there there...Lucifer will forgive you don't worry. Everything will be alright...want a Candelabrum ?

Reactions: Fat-Ass ♪
So like, is Orgia Mode any good? I didn't use it once during the main game, but I see a lot of people use it for Metis during The Answer.

I used it because Aigis's damage jumps through the roof. It makes for an excellent way to just try and end a battle quickly.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
So like, is Orgia Mode any good? I didn't use it once during the main game, but I see a lot of people use it for Metis during The Answer.

Orgia makes you go nucking futs but you can't do anything besides attack (and there's a cool down afterwards) also you can't aim your attacks so use it for when you want to end little horde battles quick or set Métis to Orgia when there's one enemy left

EDIT: DDB'd to the Stars

Anyway
Rise combo video

People have found setups into the dance super (2:56)
Uh oh
Besides that, I like the loops with the special move where she pushes you I think it's called Rock You or something

http://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24394325

basically if you don't need Aigis or Metis to actually do stuff (which is mostly the case in the Answer with Metis)
you just use Orgia Mode then cover them when they cool down

I'm also kinda conflicted on who to use. I'm completely ignoring Ken and Koromaru, and I'm having Metis stick to me like glue. At this point I don't really need Yukari because I can do the healing job just fine.

Ken and Koro actually compliment each really well but on the flip side you've got two party members weak to instant kills (which isn't super common but it is scary when the situation presents itself)

Telling you now:

-There's a boss that has all elemental attacks (except light and dark) that it uses to hit weaknesses and uses extra turn to summon bulky enemies or Megidola errbody (recommended team: Have a Persona that isn't weak to agi, bufu, garu, or zio spells, Métis, Ken, and Koro
-There's a boss that summons and throws Hamaon and Mudoon like no one's business (recommended team: a Persona that isn't weak to light or dark, Métis, any two that aren't Ken or Koro)

Tldr: when it comes to the boy and doge, they are top tier when you are fighting enemies without light and dark spells
Also Métis is always top tier

Always

Reactions: BeatNinja
Nocturne is better but DDS is good too.

Raidou is superior

Especially Raidou 2

SMT Nocturne ft. Raidou from the Devil Summoner Series is best game.

DDS is mad sexy but really, all the SMT games you just cannot go wrong with. Nocturne has high replay value since it like...six endings, I believe? Anyway, if a game says Shin Megami Tensei, just pick it the fuck up.

But there's one called nine wich if I remember is a medicer T-RPG for dreamcast

Imagine and NINE are like the sole exceptions.

Don't we have a regular SMT thread for this?

Also I think I'm gonna get back to Persona 4.
I'm gonna do something crazy and try to play Persona 4 and Skyward Sword at different intervals.