• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

Ok, a friend told me.
Carmen is named after Carmen, the opera.
Apparently explaining the dress, and in the plot, she becomes a smuggler
That makes so much more sense than what I was thinking.

I'd like to see how Thieves with Summoning powers would turn out.

10 minutes into Winter 2015 and chill and Atlus gives you these looks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking at the history of each Persona's namesake, only Arsene Lupin and Zorro lived past their criminal exploits.

William Kidd, a real life privateer, was betrayed by his partners and financial backers and executed despite remaining loyal and not ratting out his comrades. Supposedly, this may or may not have spared his life if he had.

Carmen is killed by Jose, the man in love with her that she had strung along and rejected, in the final acts of the opera.

Ishikawa Goemon was boiled alive along with his son after a failed assassination attempt.

We know from the translations of the text blurbs put up in the recent site update that the MC moved to Tokyo for unknown reasons and that Ryoji's personality change is recent. I wonder how that ties into the backstories of their characters and the grudge they feel towards society.

problems with the parents.

we'll go full persona 2 Innocent Sin with this shit!

Looking at the history of each Persona's namesake, only Arsene Lupin and Zorro lived past their criminal exploits.

William Kidd, a real life privateer, was betrayed by his partners and financial backers and executed despite remaining loyal and not ratting out his comrades. Supposedly, this may or may not have spared his life if he had.

Carmen is killed by Jose, the man in love with her that she had strung along and rejected, in the final acts of the opera.

Ishikawa Goemon was boiled alive along with his son after a failed assassination attempt.

We know from the translations of the text blurbs put up in the recent site update that the MC moved to Tokyo for unknown reasons and that Ryoji's personality change is recent. I wonder how that ties into the backstories of their characters and the grudge they feel towards society.
Spoilers :v

can i get everyone in my party killed and have them replaced with better characters? :y

Since P4 didn't have that option despite needing it ever so desperately, I'm going to say no.

Reactions: DDB
Too bad I couldn't replace every character in P1/2 with multiple sprites of Eikichi or The Number One Man of Japan

Reactions: DDB
I'm very late to this but wow, that opening is great. Usually I don't like singers/vocals in music at all, but that was pretty good. The singers fits very well. I love how all of the music sounds so far.
Edit: Ahhhh I completely missed half of the posts here, I have more to say
I dislike the story. Honestly, I wanted to not have something "justifying" our crime like this. I would've much preferred if them facing their shadows made them reform their behavior instead of this silly "anti-hero" nonsense.

Last edited:
I dislike the story. Honestly, I wanted to not have something "justifying" our crime like this. I would've much preferred if them facing their shadows made them reform their behavior instead of this silly "anti-hero" nonsense.

That's a pretty hasty judgement, especially considering it's based on two sentences that don't even explain much.

That's a pretty hasty judgement, especially considering it's based on two sentences that don't even explain much.
It isn't much to go on, but it seems pretty clear you're not committing crime because you're just a bad person, which I think would be much more interesting.

I would've much preferred if them facing their shadows made them reform their behavior instead of this silly "anti-hero" nonsense.

You like Persona 4, don't you Squidward

Reactions: Meow-Professor
what if stealing hearts is literal and everyone is a murderer that eats peoples' hearts to power up their persona
Igor's just like "okay you're too metal for this shit just take what you need and leave don't hurt me"

It isn't much to go on, but it seems pretty clear you're not committing crime because you're just a bad person, which I think would be much more interesting.

Jerk-asses doing jerk-ass things for jerk-ass reasons usually results in stories where the audience has no reason to care or give a fuck about the protaganists.

Reminds me of a common criticism of Drakengard 3, that the characters are unlikable jerks for the first 90% of the game until the plot twist comes, at which point it gets good. But most players have gotten bored and wandered off by then.

what if stealing hearts is literally and everyone is a murderer that eats peoples' hearts to power up their persona
Igor's just like "okay you're too metal for this shit just take what you need and leave don't hurt me"
Well I mean point taken, but that is overboard
I want some edginess, but not to the point where I'm scared to put the game disc in because I'll cut myself

Edit to reply to Squire Grooktook:
It is hard to do well, but stories where the protagonists start out as bad people are some of my favorite stories. Especially here, I think something really interesting could have been done, but it seems like we're just getting a basic anti-hero story (which is a trope I really dislike).

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire Grooktook
i'm all for a game where I get to play as an unrepentant piece of garbage, but ultimately that kind of thing doesn't sell because most people lose interest after the point where they deem that everyone is too unsympathetic to the point that it's impossible to care about what happens to them or anyone else in the world.

It's honestly why I don't really like Nocturne all that much. There's just too much darkness going on for me to care about the world or the people in it beyond some generic appeal to humanity.

what if stealing hearts is literal and everyone is a murderer that eats peoples' hearts to power up their persona
he makes a mistake during fusion and is like "yo, i got Izanagi no Okami, just take it. it's yours. want a Hell Rider too? you can have it."

It is hard to do well, but stories where the protagonists start out as bad people are some of my favorite stories. Especially here, I think something really interesting could have been done, but it seems like we're just getting a basic anti-hero story (which is a trope I really dislike).

You mean character development, basically?

As for anti-heroes, it depends on how it's done.

im just waiting for the badness where Atlsu confirms P5 Protag is actually Sho Minazuki

then the real Sho can begin.:PUN:
Oh no not again
We need to go find shelter, quickly

"Finally, the Sho stuff can stop and-"

Thread atm:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know. The anti-adult and anti-society sentiments remind me a lot of what Holden Caufield thinks about in Catcher in the Rye. It seems like these teens all suffered at the hands of adults and are just lashing out against the society they feel shunned them. I think the twist will be that the mysterious person who talks to them over the app is responsible for some of the larger events that occur, like the subway accident seen in the first trailer and referenced in the third.

I don't know. The anti-adult and anti-society sentiments remind me a lot of what Holden Caufield thinks about in Catcher in the Rye. It seems like these teens all suffered at the hands of adults and are just lashing out against the society they feel shunned them. I think the twist will be that the mysterious person who talks to them over the app is responsible for some of the larger events that occur, like the subway accident seen in the first trailer and referenced in the third.
I know I'm probably alone with this but I dislike these storylines. A lot of the time they come across as too emo/"I hate the world" for me to enjoy them properly, not to mention that this is a bit overused now. Just look at the wording used in the story description- it is too over the top for me to take it seriously (and these storylines are already difficult enough to take seriously IMO, mostly because it seems so childish).

Childish/smildish. Half the point of fantasy and adventure is keeping your inner child alive anyway.

What really matters is the execution, not the concept.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Childish/smildish. Half the point of fantasy and adventure is keeping your inner child alive anyway.
I don't know about you, but my inner child died out a few years ago.

What really matters is the execution, not the concept.

See: Catherine

The whole concept is just "C or K mmmhhh"
But at the end the story teaches you that the right choice is your choice

Oh god, that Dojima looks so derpy.

Famitsu translation

Story

Unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4, Persona 5‘s story is designed to be like an “omnibus,” with no one specific enemy or criminal that the team chases after. Like a serial drama TV show, the Phantom Thieves change the targets they chase regularly.

A fundamental part of the story is the mystery behind a phone application called “Isekainabi” (“Otherworldnavi” or “Parallel World Navigation”). Using this app, the main characters discover the location of their targets and are able to infiltrate the other world known as “Palace” to steal the hearts of “rotten people.”

Unlike the protagonists and their friends in Persona 3 and Persona 4 who become directly involved together to solve a specific incident, the cast of Persona 5 are involved with social reformation and atonement.

"Palace” is the other world which is responsible for settings such as an old castle, pyramids, an art gallery, and more. These locations are fundamentally tied to Persona 5‘s background.

Characters

The protagonist and his friends are troubled, and there is a part of them that feels they have lost their way. Because of this, they devote themselves to using the “Isekinabi” app suddenly granted to them in order to help others.

Ryuji Sakamoto meets the main character on the first day of school and kicks off the creation of the Phantom Thief team. His relationship with the protagonist is that of a “bad influence.”

Ann Takamaki is restrained in her daily life and feels she has lost her place in the world but, as a Phantom Thief, she is much more lively and energetic.

Morgana is the most “thief-like” member of the team and assumes the role of a guide for the other characters.

Yusuke Kitagawa has a certain problem of his own he is dealing with, and drama begins when he encounters the other characters. Yusuke, in particular, is tied to the “omnibus-like” story for “world reformation.”

Personas

Every character’s initial Persona is designed to embody the concept of a “picaresque hero.” Characters awaken to them in specific parts of Palace, the alternate world inside people’s hearts.

Gameplay

The SNS system seen in the PV03 trailer will have players chatting with other characters using phone text messages.

This will allow players to personalize and expand their stories.

Players will be able to explore various locations in the Greater Tokyo Area, as seen in trailers.

Development

Hashino reiterates that the scope of the game is very large, so the development team requires more time to properly finish it.

Persona 5 is slated to be released for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan in Summer 2016, with a 2016 North American release date.

Reactions: Meow-Professor
The SNS thing sounds interesting, I'm excited to see how it works. I love little interactions like that that help you feel closer to other characters.
I wonder how the game will be tied together if there isn't one main antagonist or conflict. That isn't too big of a problem to me usually but sometimes it makes me feel like my actions don't have any consequence.