• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

I'm also not a fan of how easy it is to out zone Peacock with Robo. zoning Robo with Peacock was already pretty hard in retail but now it just seems kinda unfair now that robo destroys Peacock when it comes to zoning.

Is there any way fortunes head can fly off in a different direction after she's snapped instead of staying in the same place? i dont see how its fair that after i get double snapped i lose a character and then fortune comes in with no meterless defensive option on top of taking extra damage and being potentially tod'd

She has sneeze, while still being able to block. Sneeze is invincible. (Mike said this a page or 2 ago.)

Also, what other characters have a meterless defensive option on incoming? I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist for any character but Big Band (parry).

Cloud I meant she loses her invincible meterless dp. I don't think sneeze is good e and im mainly concerned about taking extra damage after being double snapped. Why does she have to deal with this massive amount of damage after I already lost a character when no other character does? Just for being fortune?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I dont know if this was mentioned anywhere here but Squigly calling assist can let her stance cancel at the same time, is that intentional?

Random thought: would it be possible to give Beowulf the option to not pick up the chair upon landing on it via finisher (say, by holding a punch button)? There have been multiple situations where I'd prefer to have it remain off for a chair-cancel rather than reclaim it for the extra damage/hype.

I dont know if this was mentioned anywhere here but Squigly calling assist can let her stance cancel at the same time, is that intentional?
Do you mean QCF + Assist makes her call the assist while stance canceling?
That makes sense to me.

its not about losing the head its about the head staying in the corner with you

I have an insanely hard time trying to have sneeze activate on incoming and still be able to block if the opponent has any hitboxes in my face as soon as Fortune comes in. It's something I try in matches often but the timing feels pretty strict.

I guess it makes sense since if it was too easy then Fortune would never have a reason to NOT try it on incoming but... eh.

Last edited:
I know I'm late but...

Risk/Reward is the term you use to calm down your salty opponent after he lost to your wake up SSJ... twice.

Reactions: missingno
I've never seen anyone use "blocks" as a measurement of distance... are you talking about squares on the training stage floor?
Training mode grid.

Wolf Blitzer most certainly is safe, Mike himself even said it was.
Man if you're gonna quote me at least get it right
Wulf Blitzer is safe, meaning you can't punish it on block. However, Wulf Blitzer's multiple hits are not a true blockstring in most cases, meaning in between the first and second parts on block there is a gap. Even if you continue blocking, during that gap you can call an assist that will either pressure him after he lands or straight up hit him.
(emphasis added but should have been there to start with)

The end is safe if you LET him get to the end, but the entire move is not safe. You can always interrupt after the first one.
Also, "safe" is not the same thing as "advantage". He's not at advantage afterward, which is a big deal.

faster L teleport
Fixed that for ya? :^P
Invincibility on M/H teleports is never coming back sir.

On a slightly more silly note, what if the ant (Peacock's c.mk when canceled quickly) did something? Maybe dealing a tiny bit of damage or maybe just tripping the opponent. Hitting low would probably be too cute but I dunno, just a fun thought.
You can spawn infinite ants and it's basically invisible, there's no way. Stealing meter would be about all.
....hmm.

can we like make it so when i do a dash move as parasoul or i move forward i dont get a charge move?
Many times i try to do dash cr.LK and somehow get Distraction
Dash -> DB+button will not give you a charge move ever. Been fixed for close to a year.
(Removing Shot on DF would remove the ability to keep Pillar charged while firing a Shot.)

Hey @Mike_Z, this kept happening to me yesterday. If I call H A-train assist and land a grab with Weight of Anubis, my opponent would sometimes slide under me and i couldn't convert off it.
Nice, the game auto-fixing good setups. :^P
Yeah, I know, but not sure I can fix it.

Is there any way fortunes head can fly off in a different direction after she's snapped instead of staying in the same place? i dont see how its fair that after i get double snapped i lose a character and then fortune comes in with no meterless defensive option on top of taking extra damage and being potentially tod'd
Already covered this, GUESS I'LL COVER IT AGAIN.
F,D,DF,B+HP = have an invincible attack covering your incoming character that can still block and throw tech.
I don't think sneeze is good
Well, if you dismiss your ALREADY AVAILABLE OPTION that NOBODY ELSE IN THE ENTIRE CAST HAS then how can one argue with you? :^P

You mean Stance (hold button) -> P+K cancels it? Probably shouldn't, yeah, unless Squigly players prefer it do that...? It would make sense to leave her in stance there.
I can fix that, but I can't really fix QCT+P+K assist call + just cancel it out.

Random thought: would it be possible to give Beowulf the option to not pick up the chair upon landing on it via finisher (say, by holding a punch button)? There have been multiple situations where I'd prefer to have it remain off for a chair-cancel rather than reclaim it for the extra damage/hype.
Probably, let's see if I remember within all the other stuff. :^P

Hey uh I dunno if this is a bug or not but is buer thresher supposed to stop being a hitgrab after certain frames? It happened to me in a match but I'm not entirely sure if it's supposed to behave that way.

I do have a replay for it if it's not supposed to be that way.

Hey uh I dunno if this is a bug or not but is buer thresher supposed to stop being a hitgrab after certain frames? It happened to me in a match but I'm not entirely sure if it's supposed to behave that way.

I do have a replay for it if it's not supposed to be that way.
It has to, in order to hit assists.
However, I can make those frames ONLY hit assists, which will solve the problem of it hitting the point without being a grab! I'll do that.

Invincibility on M/H teleports is never coming back sir.

You can spawn infinite ants and it's basically invisible, there's no way. Stealing meter would be about all.
....hmm.
I'm a sad fox. Also about the silly ideas, you're right about the any being really hard to ever see coming, if anything the pie one is more funnier anyways =p

I'd like this thread to remember that while I read everything, dumb ideas will be ignored. :^P

Legit laughed out loud!

I love it when developers are open to feedback while still maintaining their original vision for a project, meeting the fans halfway. It doesn't look like an easy balance to strike. Ideas from players can be awesome, but not quite everyone has the same level of understanding in game design or even entire genres.

Some Val counter stuff:
Not sure if this is known or intended, but since getting poisoned when reflecting is fixed, I think I'll mention it.
When you counter Countervenom with Acquisitive Prescription, you still get poisoned.
Notice when you hit Val out of frozen, it's not a counter hit, either.
However, when you counter Countervenom with another Countervenom, the poison is gone.
EDIT: That's right. I totally forgot Lv3 poison goes away when Val's hit by a super. Thanks, Fizzxwizz.
I mentioned these before but now with video:
Fukua's shadow ruins Acquisitive Prescription T.T
Acquisitive Prescription small bug

Last edited:
Reactions: Calexe and Lex
Some Val counter stuff:
I think this is mostly intentional. The reason why the poison doesnt go away after you counter without a vial is because at poison level 2(?) and above you can only get rid of the poison by hitting val with a super. Since the rx counter doesn't hit, it doesn't get rid of the poison. Maybe since it's a counter you shouldn't get poisoned in the first place who knows.

@Mike_Z Not sure if it was mentioned already but on the replay selection screen, MK and LK buttons and inverted. MK confirms and LK goes back to the Extras menu.

Also... would you take a look at this?
s.hp > H Danger > xx Beam super combo on happy birthdays will ALWAYS otg the assist character if they are medium or heavy weight.

This makes it so if you pick up an otg happy birthday as Robo you are UNABLE to get any super finisher on both characters.

The only one option I found to do Beam super without OTG on mids/heavies assists is by doing s.hp > landmine > beam super, but it is VERY inconsistent since it's hitbox AND timing dependant plus it requires a head.

I think it is fair for Robo to be able to do it on everyone in the cast. I can't think of any other character that CAN'T followup an otg happy birthday with a damage super like her on only half of the cast. But that's just my opinion :^)

Last edited:
You mean Stance (hold button) -> P+K cancels it? Probably shouldn't, yeah, unless Squigly players prefer it do that...? It would make sense to leave her in stance there.
I can fix that, but I can't really fix QCT+P+K assist call + just cancel it out.

What fix would you do? Right now it's a little trickier to get assist + start charge build but it's doable. I'd hate for there to be a fix that'd make stancels harder. As is, I get my assist + start charge by doing normal + assist call, then cancel the normal into stance charge. Honestly, the one thing that really annoys me about stancels isn't really fixable: you can't do a special and call an assist at the same time.

things

what about mdanger

edit: also i like that assist+quarter circle = stancel with squigly, its good for timing setups, but thats just me. i dont find it hard to call assists for various things with her.

what about mdanger
Anything that stuns for a given amount of time instead of "until opponent touches the ground" won't work because of the unbirthday thing. Assist is not affected by the super flash so it will always jump out since Beam super takes like 84701983764793613 frames of flash to start.

how about shk super
s.hk does not wall stick against assists, so it will just proc another red bounce even before the super flash.

Some input on Big Band and Painwheel

I'm not too keen on the gravity scaling on j mk. I think I enjoyed either the once per combo/less damaging j mk option we had before. If you want to keep it to two times per combo, instead of doing the gravity scaling why not just limit it to 2 instead of 1?

Would it be possible to add an input buffer after ebrake (if there isn't already one) so that doing ebrake stuff off of throws/cr hp confirms is a little easier?

Also, even on dhc and getting a combo with Install for pw, you don't get much after, and the actual damage you get of install now is a tiny bit less than it was before, even less than that if you're considering how much undizzy you used before you dhc into it. Would it be possible to allow a small period after you uncombo where you still get a tiny bit of install left, that way you can still get her install damage throw mixup and slight increase to frontloaded damage off of other hits (overhead or low reset while installed.) PW damage comes from her extended combos, and once you've hit a higher undizzy, you don't get as much. Factoring in her 1/3 meter gain and time on install on dhc, it's much hard to get another bar, which you need to deal more damage at max undizzy.

Or maybe another option would be if she kills a character while installed she gets additional install time/refreshes the time? I would prefer the previous suggestion though.

Also, now that stinger cancels are gone, I brought this up in the other thread for it, but I guess more players are paying attention here. I was wondering if we could try putting assist priority on PW buer now, as the only thing I could see use for with one stinger is lp stinger plus assist. The issue with that is that you have more than enough time to call assist after you lp stinger, so it's kind of moot. Buer plus assist helps her more in neutral.

And last thing is lp stinger itself. I'm guessing you want it as a combo tool only, but I was wondering if we could try to experiment with it a little? Making it hit low (It looks like it should!) and removing cr mk as a low I think would be interesting to try out. The move itself is already super punishable on block and scales to 50%, and there's never a reason to use it outside of combo extensions/setting up meaties out of combos (which she can do off of other setups already.)

edit: would allowing h pinion dash to go fullscreen be okay, there are some characters where robo dust+pinion doesn't let the pinion hit

Last edited:
There's also another problem about Val's counter super.
When burst baiting with Val's lvl2, there is no counter hit bonus. That's not a huge problem with a vial loaded since you can get big damage from the lvl3 poison. However without a vial, the standard reward of a counter hit from a burst bait is missing. This is an expensive burst bait with a very hard read after all, so the Val player should be rewarded just as much as a standard burst bait.

Would just s.hp beam not work?
There's also another problem about Val's counter super.
When burst baiting with Val's lvl2, there is no counter hit bonus. That's not a huge problem with a vial loaded since you can get big damage from the lvl3 poison. However without a vial, the standard reward of a counter hit from a burst bait is missing. This is an expensive burst bait with a very hard read after all, so the Val player should be rewarded just as much as a standard burst bait.
This was intended (it was mentioned in the patch notes on the counter changes over a year ago).

Would just s.hp beam not work?
If you mean beam super...
Anything that stuns for a given amount of time instead of "until opponent touches the ground" won't work because of the unbirthday thing. Assist is not affected by the super flash so it will always jump out since Beam super takes like 84701983764793613 frames of flash to start.

edit: would allowing h pinion dash to go fullscreen be okay, there are some characters where robo dust+pinion doesn't let the pinion hit

I get this all the time you just have to call pinion right after 5HK it even works fullscreen all characters fall into pinion after the wall splat.

It would be wild for beam + pinion though.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
Yes, but mike has written that he felt big band getting poisoned on parry felt weird (not too sure what wording he used). Which led him to change it.
I'm just saying things that were done intentionally aren't set in stone right now, I doubt that's the only thing he was once set on that has changed.

Concerning special+assist with squigly, is there any way to prioritize punch specials over kick specials when doing dp p+k? What I'm getting at is I would like to be able to do h draugen punch+assist (since IIRC you can't charge stance with that special); I'm only getting kick stance cancel with the assist call right now.

Parrying feels a whole lot easier now.
As in I can actually do it on purpose instead of getting it by mistake.
I like this change.

Reactions: ribaluigi
Is it possible to get the Japanese voices in a patch? I would totally pay for that as DLC.
That ball is in Arcsys' court.
Mike using it for his personal and by extension the Salty builds is a different matter since he's not distributing it.

I have an insanely hard time trying to have sneeze activate on incoming and still be able to block
Like I said, just a small buffer increase would help, even +2f would be fine.
....hmm
Mike?....you're scaring me

Some Val counter stuff:
Not sure if this is known or intended, but since getting poisoned when reflecting is fixed, I think I'll mention it.
When you counter Countervenom with Acquisitive Prescription, you still get poisoned.
Yeah, that and the Fukua shadow thing I'll fix.

Countering a burst getting a CH bonus I dunno if I want to fix, because you can counter bursts in situations where you can't beat them with anything else.
I can see about giving it from un-poison counter, though it may be impossible without very much alteration of lots of things.

But that's just my opinion :^)
Yep, it is. I know you meant that sarcastically, but don't forget it. (^.^)

Super adds hitstop against point only. I could try increasing the bounce height so you can save OTG, though, since it doesn't let you do anything after it you can't already do.
Maybe only on heavy assists. Maybe nothing!

What fix would you do?
Pressing any P+K combination that counts as an assist call doesn't either cancel it or do a stancel from neutral?
So PP or KK or PPP or 3K or P+K that ISN'T an assist call would all still work fine. And like, holding a P and pressing an assist-call-diagonal K would still cancel it, it would just be same frame P+K that count as assist calls that don't.

time on install on dhc
Install doesn't end until you drop your combo now. Does this change your wall of text? :^P

Is it possible to get the Japanese voices in a patch? I would totally pay for that as DLC.
Highly unlikely.

Can val's command grab have that hitstop thing with air scalpels that the airgrab has? that way, it would be easier to convert midscreen consistently from the command grab, and i don't feel it would be broken/overpowered.

Reactions: Wenzel and Calexe
So pme just showed me that fortune can activate nom and super and dhc out while nom is still active. Dhcing into robo beam super getting hit for it but winning the trade cus nom gave him time to dash up combo after getting hit out of beam super. Can this not be a thing?

Reactions: gllt