• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Hope this beta lasts longer then a day. Airport flight delay hell is preventing me to try this since MvC 2 format super jumps sounds fun to at least try in SG.

Give the man a break. He'll upload it when he when he's not dead tired.

Aaaaaaayyyyyeeee try out the super jump change before you start whining. It's pretty fun imo.
I'm not saying it's not fun, I'm saying it seems like a change that would require a ton of balancing if implemented.

Reactions: Makross and Dime
Just started up Steam and it updated.

Its fun to see the upper sections of the backgrounds more often.

:PUN:

Just started up Steam and it updated.

Its fun to see the upper sections of the backgrounds.

:PUN:
Yeah like the troll under the bridge in under the bridge.

If this stays, I hope the super jump gets its own sound effect like the *SWOOSH* noise it has in Marvel.

And can painwheel's super-jump fly "position correction" be used a mid-air dodge or something? It seems very fast and I think it may need some testing for interesting uses.

I like this a lot. It was personally my longest running gripe considering it was "supposed to be like MvC2".

Last edited:
Very very brief impression after trying out combos with most of the cast

Really don't like that this change invalidates a lot of combo routes. Could be that I need to spend more time with it, but I couldn't figure out any new combo routes that were worth a damn.

I really feel like a lot of the attacks need to be looked at and changed accordingly to function better with this change.

Ex. Cerebella's j.MP behaves different if its your first hit in the chain or later on. I can't even do something like c.MK > j.LP > j.MP because the j.MP will knockdown, let alone c.MK > j.MP because it just completely whiffs now.

I'm not saying it's not fun, I'm saying it seems like a change that would require a ton of balancing if implemented.
Wasn't directed at you. More just for everyone to try it out first.

Reactions: gluemchen
My Cerebella air combo is just purely j.lp now. Holy moly that's so much fun.

It feels very weird. But yeah, basically anyone with long ground loops will rule.

I can do everything with Fortune the same. Thanks Fiber.

So how late can you (new) super jump after launching? I notice that if I wait I few frames later some combos work better than trying to super jump immediately after launch.

Painwheel can do 8jMP while flying just above ground and all hits come out as opposed to the regular 0.
Lots of new things for her with her new flight speed and holy shit she flies fast upwards.

Missing patch notes / unintended change:
- Can no longer input super after the round is over and the 'Will enter win pose when you touch the ground' period has started?

Basically Bella can't do
SJ JHP JHP JHP, Double Jump, JHP JHP JHP, Excellabella, tech L/R, Diamond Dynamo on wake up way after the round is over, might be an unintended change from the 4F reversal after tech to 2F window.
Either way looks like a direct nerf to Bellas round stall which is probably what it was for.

Sorry @SonicFox5000 :^)

Anyways my research is concluded.
Initial impressions on the new SJ:

'Whoa!'

Reactions: SonicFox and gllt
super jump change seems interesting

kind of means that all the setups i learned don't work anymore but

i like learning new setups! so if its actually staying i'll like it

Also it probably means i'll be way less annoyed by people spamming brass knucks + forever a clone (M) cause i can just jump it. i'm in

I do enjoy Parasoul Super Jump j.hk, LK Tear Toss, j.mk.

It's just really fun to do.

Valentine, seems to be affected the most out of this change. getting her to do good damage, always requires long airstrings, her ground moves can only go so far in terms of damage. the launch attacks, skyrocket the enemy into the air now. only air combo I can get to work with her is utilizing the double savage bypass followup after a launch. then a short carry. personally im not a fan of these changes, cause my main feels incredibly weakened.

Okay...after playing around wit it, honestly I hate this. I don't like how this feels, and it makes the dynamic of the game vastly different then what its used to. Yes, new combos will have to be readjusted to this, yes everyone will have to relearn every combo and set up for the past two years, but I don't like how this feels. I got away from Marvel 3, because of stuff like this and the BS that was in that game. I liked skullgirls for the sake it was more ground based, and it was a good mix of Marvel 2, Street Fighter, and other influences. I might be in the minority here since so far everyone likes this idea.

I've found a way to deal 7.1k with Val that feels universal. It's late here, I'll test more later.

why the first three hits of beowulf's lv'3 don't drop those little chunks of health?

I'm fine with the superjump change so long as it gives more than takes away. Lots of things aren't possible now, but plenty of new things have become possible too. Once the community has played around with the beta for a few weeks, they may be in a better position to judge whether or not the jump changes are good or bad.

My take after a few minutes with pw and double:

I have a new easier 1 meter 7.9k universal midscreen bnb with pw from cr.lk and no assist... So thats cool. Doubles barrel loop starting with j.lp, after the avery hits after the barrel is now like plus 15 so that lk link is much easier now.

Painwheels min flight height has been increased by about 1/4 of vals height.
The new momentum on painwheels fly moves is jarring and I'm not sure i like it, though it is definitely a buff as far as range is concerned. Personally i feel like pw flight should have a much bigger minimum flight height now that this superjump is in the game. At least to obscure vals head seems like a decent start.
But i could be wrong.

All in all this feels jarring as a change because it doesnt feel like the game was ever made to truly support this kind of movement option...

I feel kinda like what with the game not having lots of things like storms float, sents j.hk, cables air hvb and grenade, blackhearts air demons, kens air fireballs from mvc2... That the "spirit" of mvc2 superjump game is still for the most part lost on sg.

If like pw had some air stingers, and bella had an aerial horizontal move command, doubles barrels were projectiles if the button was held... Stuff like that, then the game would be more readily accessible to this new super jump.

My limited time conclusion is that maybe this experiment once its done could have a new experiment where the superjumps are higher than retail, but shorter than marvel... Like a happy medium or something... Seems like it might work out better with how the characters are designed... But thats just my.02

Does Bella holding HP not count?

I feel there will be more optimal routes in many more situations as you can't use as many different normals and get a somewhat similar combo. I'm worried about the resets too.

Super Jumping with 2D backgrounds feels so good.
So far I'm with the people who think air combos lost too much. But this might change when we actually figure out what to do now.
I also think the game may require a ton of balancing to adapt to this new mechanic. But again, the beta exists for testing stuff and I want to see what may happen.

Does Bella holding HP not count?

I was thinking of something different... But... Hmm... Maybe it does? Only time will tell, though personally i dont play bella, id want for her to be able to do the glide AND double jump in the same superjump... More superjump space = want to fill that space up with more actions.

Kinda stupid to "give feedback" about the SJ thing because it's a whole new game that will take an indefinite amount of time to figure out again, to the degree SG was ever figured out in the first place

I guess I'm okay with this change. I didn't find it hard to adapt but I feel bad for some players. Valentine feels awkward to do air combos now and Squigly's Grave Digger actually fails at the highest peak of the jump (by the time you hit the ground it loses the stun). I find this super jump to benefit most characters. Many new combo possibilities.

Reactions: clawmaster
Squigly feels mostly unchanged because of her grounded combos though doing LK divekick from SJ height feels like I'm playing a flight simulator lol