• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Well I have my stick ready just in case...

tumblr_n9f6j3Wxor1rkxrfio1_1280.jpg

Skullgirls encore encore
Any kind of big system change should have the hud modified a little bit. Like with how one can instantly tell apart any version of GGXX is being played by which burst icon it has.

For the people not watching the stream

You can now move left and right while in super jump like in MvC2 and stuff

Also assists now have 4 frames of vulnerability on incoming as opposed to 2f which is kind of a big deal imo but yeah

EDIT: Also 2 kicks is now a dash/pushblock input

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
Why painwheel getting even more buffs?
Not that I'm complaining.. But shes pretty damned good as she is right now.
Though my beat extend L assist now having 6 vulnerable frames instead of 4 for startup will be a major pain for the assist... So maybe an increased flight speed is called for...hmmm.

-edit

If its only upforward, that makes a lot of sense actually, since people like to do nothing but double jump against her to get height priority for their attacks anyways.

2k is pushblock?

Hahaha...loving it. Get pushblocks instead of supers now, filia!

I'm excited to see this happen since ive wanted marvel style superjumps in sg from the get go... But i do have certain reservations that i will be checking in on once the patch is submitted:

In general:

1. I feel like double jumping characters will be way to mobile in general when compared to non double jumpers, if the double jumpers are allowed to continue to steer their superjumps after they have double jumped.

2. With sg's general lack of air projectiles with the exception of val,fukua, and maybe parasouls tears, the game doesnt really seem designed for superjumps of this height... Though i hope I'm pleasantly surprised by the movement becoming more dynamic and offsetting the need for aerial projectiles.

3. The same as how i always thought the throw nerf was a nerf that affected pw rather harshly, more than other characters (fortune, peacock etc) i feel like this superjump is a buff that will affect solos for the better more since solos dont lose out on being able to call assists while super jumping.

I dont know how i feel about that exactly, or if I'm even correct, but its a theory.

As it affects painwheel:

It seems like characters will be able to dance around her even more effectively now since she cant reach superjump> double jump heights.

This was partially mitigated before by her being able to call assists as well as space out the opponents jump trajectory, but now, it seems like she will need to superjump to try and keepup which takes away her ability to call assists, and yet she still returns to that low minimum height after canceling into fly after superjump.

Perhaps her ability to call assists after flying during superjump will save her. But right now, speedup or no it seems like, on paper atleast that pw will have a real hard time keeping characters from just going on the offensive from high up.

I feel these same weaknesses might also be attributable to parasoul and Beowulf since they have no double jump, though Beowulf has wolf cannon, so he might be fine.

-edit

I'm also pretty excited for what this might mean for defense now that pushblock>superjump will be much more powerful.

Tldr:

This is pretty exciting stuff and I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm also scared as hell of the ramifications it might have in general with respect to certain characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: gluemchen
Personally I like the lower SJ height in SG compared to Marvel games. Keeps things a little more grounded, gives characters with a weak air game more of a chance.

Reactions: ashxu
hmm i will admit the reason why i dont like marvel jumps is because it looks goofy and also it moves the camera around too much lol

If this makes it easier to get in on Peacock, I'm all for the new super jump and I will learn to work with the change.

On the other hand, super jumps were a reason I didn't like playing Marvel 2 and I liked SG for not having it. We'll just have to see.

If this makes it easier to get in on Peacock, I'm all for the new super jump
"If this change fixes me sucking ass and makes the zoner brainless to move in against, I'm all for it", or what am I supposed to read here?

My first question would be why this test doesn't have old SJ height after launchers, as that would likely make things easier to try out (focused on neutral / seeing how AtA confirms work out, rather than everyone sitting in training mode to learn new combos after cHP)?!

Commenting is kinda hard since I don't have access to the beta for another few weeks.. I don't really like when I can't see both characters, but this didn't look very granting on the YT preview.
I'm all for making SJ more useful/distinguished, and hey that's a neat Solo buff actually! But yeah I have no real clue what it actually does to neutral, so I will refrain from any real opinion for now.

Reactions: erkicman
"If this change fixes me sucking ass and makes the zoner brainless to move in against, I'm all for it", or what am I supposed to read here?

You're pretty much right. In all honesty though abusing super jump may be the wrong way to go about approaching her, and I can probably get in faster by keeping a low profile and chicken blocking. What SJ CAN do is give me another possible option for getting in, and I imagine Peacocks with good use of item drops can counter that too. Will probably try stuff out after I'm done traveling today.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmashBlade
Are there marvel style indicators to see where someone is if one character is at SJ height and the other is grounded?

This superjump change looks ridiculous :o kneejerk reaction is that I don't like the idea. I like how sg game system right now (only change I'd make is 350 undizzy!)

Oh and the other change, 4f vulnerable startup for assists instead of 2f.... I dunno I think assists are nerfed enough already.

I'm interested in seeing how the jump change plays out. It could be neat. But I assume there's going to be several modifications to various moves to fit in with this test run.

Just watching the stream footage and seeing PW just zip downward then stop when trying to fly at the top of the new jump height does look odd.

Couple indirect solo buffs. Can't complain. Filia gonna be sillier in the air.

I wonder how long it will take for us to get the patch, i really want to try out the superjump change myself especially if it doesnt last for long.

it looks silly "Flightgirls"
i kinda want to try it

I'm excited to try this beta experiment. While I don't care for how Marvel style super jumps look (moves the camera a lot), I do really enjoy the mobility and sense of control that this particular style of SJ provides. It's just fun, nah 'I mean?

Random Suggestion - I think Eliza's s.MP should have a better anti-air hitbox on its late active frames. That normal seems kinda weak over all. It only really hits people who are directly abvoe you and tends to trade quite a bit even when it does connect.

Also would be nice if one of her medium normals was a bit less negative. Not a big deal since lk spiral is -2 but every other character aside from Double has at least one medium normal that's -3 or better.

I really want to buffer air dash during Val's air bypass recovery.
Pretty please.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Random Suggestion - I think Eliza's s.MP should have a better anti-air hitbox on its late active frames. That normal seems kinda weak over all. It only really hits people who are directly abvoe you and tends to trade quite a bit even when it does connect.

Also would be nice if one of her medium normals was a bit less negative. Not a big deal since lk spiral is -2 but every other character aside from Double has at least one medium normal that's -3 or better.
just use bird kick as an anti-air when they're not right above you. St.mp is a pretty damn good normal as it is lol

Reactions: Mr Peck and Colossi
I'm wondering what the new super jump height is going to mean for moves built around the old super jump height. I mean, like Double's Fridge or Big Band's j. HK. Are we going to start seeing OTGless Fridge Loops or j. HK Loops, or are these moves going to get changed, or am I imagining the new super jump going higher than it actually is?

Mike said that combos starting with lp in the air should still work the same. You drop height once you hit your opponent in the air or something idk.
Waiting for the update~

just use bird kick as an anti-air when they're not right above you. St.mp is a pretty damn good normal as it is lol

Well what I meant was for Eliza's hurtbox to be shorter during s.MP, not to make the move wider.

lN5FJrz.jpg

Are you serious? This is the first active frame of Eliza s.MP. What more do you want?

Edit: Sorry for being a jerk about it there, but that normal is seriously good. It's possibly the best anti-air normal in the game. Just try and time it so your opponent is in that big red area during the first active frame, and good things will happen.

Last edited:
Oh and the other change, 4f vulnerable startup for assists instead of 2f.... I dunno I think assists are nerfed enough already.

I do wonder how much of an impact that will have in the neutral game, that invulnerable window mainly matters when people are on top of you doing pressure. Two extra frames are doing you no good if you're hanging around high in the air and I call Pillar, you gotta block that anyway.
Seems like more of a reliability change. You could now stuff assist calls more reliably with any given multihit, or hit them more easily with less active things timed correctly. That sort of thing being a 2f link like in retail just seems to run against the design philosophy of this game.

Are you serious? This is the first active frame of Eliza s.MP. What more do you want?

Edit: Sorry for being a jerk about it there, but that normal is seriously good. It's possibly the best anti-air normal in the game. Just try and time it so your opponent is in that big red area during the first active frame, and good things will happen.

Yes but the late active frames hurtbox is gigantic.

But what do I know I'm awful at this game.

I can't wait to see how much damage Fukua's air drill does at max height. It was already her strongest lvl 1 from a screen lower.

Reactions: Mr Peck and Arcana
Gotta be honest, I'm really not a fan of the Marvel 2 superjumps.
Would prefer to keep things as is.

Definitely do approve of the Val counter though. When's Big Band parrying bursts?

Aaaaaaayyyyyeeee try out the super jump change before you start whining. It's pretty fun imo.

Reactions: Dagwood