• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Yeah but if your intent was to hit a crouching opponent, most of that doesn't even apply. Other characters have jabs that will whiff on a crouching opponent, that's what your other light attacks are for.

Literally everything I said applies to a crouching opponent if the st.lp actually makes contact.

Not sure what your argument here is other than "you can use a different attack if the st.lp wiffs" which was never under argument. Your own question was "WHY do st.lp against crouchers if you have other light attacks that will make contact" with crouchers.

Which has been answered... And to make it more obvious since the answer isn't obviously stated:

In case they weren't crouching.

Anyways I'm not even a necessary advocate of the change, but it would definitely be a quality of life change for squigly, especially seeing as to how it already makes contact with certain crouchers. Other characters have had moves that wiff certain crouchers be changed to no longer wiff.

It is a change that makes sense to me. But isn't necessarily "needed"

Last edited:
I've actually been testing squigly c.lp. it's been way better than i thought it would be, despite being relatively slow. Or maybe because it's relatively slow

2LP has its uses as a preventative measure to most ground pokes and, as gllt just showed, a way of baiting some reversal/mash attempts.

It has the fastest recovery of Squigly's ground normals on whiff at 8f (ties with j.LK,) despite having the longest light button startup (10f.) And being able to control how long the hitbox stays out is incredibly useful.

But it's almost-but-not-completely worthless if your opponent decides to jump or IAD. It pushes her crouchbox higher and farther forward, basically begging to be hit by some IADs and dashjumps. Though it does help make some whiff depending on the spacing.

Just another good but specific tool of Squig.

Reactions: Midiman and Dime
It also has the least hitstop and blockstun of all of her ground normals while also being plus, so it's extremely good for pushblock baiting and tick throws.

2LP has its uses as a preventative measure to most ground pokes and, as gllt just showed, a way of baiting some reversal/mash attempts.

It has the fastest recovery of Squigly's ground normals on whiff at 8f (ties with j.LK,) despite having the longest light button startup (10f.) And being able to control how long the hitbox stays out is incredibly useful.

But it's almost-but-not-completely worthless if your opponent decides to jump or IAD. It pushes her crouchbox higher and farther forward, basically begging to be hit by some IADs and dashjumps. Though it does help make some whiff depending on the spacing.

Just another good but specific tool of Squig.

Yes, basically. And what cm said as well. But as an "all around tool" it is extremely pitiful when compared to st.lp. If st.lp hit all crouchers as was asked it would be a great all around tool for squigs. She would still have the option of cr.lp for lowered hit stun and frame traps and tick throws and cr.lk for lows, and st.lk for otg, and cr.lp to beat esoteric shit.... but she'd also have st.lp for all aroundness.

Me personally, I'm pretty against the micromanagement aspect of fighting games in general. There's something to be said for being able to watch 10 different meters at one time while keeping the opponents options on mind, while reacting to one hit confirms and jumpins easily, balancing on top of a one legged chair in the middle of Antarctica in the winter during a snowstorm while an earthquake is happening, against a divekicker with a command grab and OG Sagat roundhouse tigershots....

But there is also something to be said for simplicity as well.

Which is where having an all around starter becomes useful, rather than having to micromanage which exact light attack you do.

Asking you to choose between two options depending on whether the opponent is crouching or not is pretty dang simple, especially considering the greater part of fighting games is knowing your options and knowing when to apply which one given the situation you are in. I'm still honestly surprised that parasoul's s.LP was changed to hit crouching, especially given the range on that thing.

Reactions: dead
Asking you to choose between two options depending on whether the opponent is crouching or not is pretty dang simple, especially considering the greater part of fighting games is knowing your options and knowing when to apply which one given the situation you are in. I'm still honestly surprised that parasoul's s.LP was changed to hit crouching, especially given the range on that thing.

Well... That's your opinion and you are fine having it, but if you take that logic to its furthest conclusions, or even slightly more simple conclusions you get logic like:

Reversals that are invincible to everything are stupid and scrubby. We need reversals that only reversal against highs, lows and throws respectively.

Then, not wanting to be outdone, uber theory pro guy comes in and says:

No no no, reversals that reverse highs, lows and throws respectively are to simple... What we need are reversals that only reversal if you picked the same button as your opponent!

Yeah that'll show em.

Point being that, like I said you can't please everyone. BUT by having an all in one move like squiglys st.lp hit all crouchers, YET STILL have all the other normals she has doing what they do... You pls everyone. The simple guys get their one button, and less control via only that one button, but they still get it. And the "better" players can still use all the other buttons... Win/win because the players that use all their moves in the right situations have an advantage over people that only use 1 move for all situations.

As far as parasoul st.lp hitting crouchers... I don't see the problem, she has less mobility than most of the cast and therefor has better pokes and normals to make up for it, plus her st.lp doesn't hit low and at max range is outside of all her normal attacks save for sweep which won't combo.

Then you have characters like peacock that can hk bomb and it hits ground and air far and close....

I mean, yeah there is simplicity in this game and squigly is one of the harder characters to use, so giving her a bit of simplicity can't really be a bad thing can it? When characters like peacock and val and Beowulf exist.

When I think of having to use crLP over sLP to hit crouching I'm thinking of it after a stancel. And to hit with crLP after chargeless stancel is a one frame link. It also doesn't do your combo any favors. Holding scales more and it does less damage itself (Though by very little). For other things crLP can be of use, sure. But I'd rather always be able to hit stLP. But other characters have their jabs whiff too so I guess it isn't as bad? I'd like it but I wouldn't cry over not getting it.

Though could DnB have the opponent stand up so I can hit crouchers with jab after that in my combos? That would be nice.

Well... That's your opinion and you are fine having it, but if you take that logic to its furthest conclusions, or even slightly more simple conclusions you get logic like:

Reversals that are invincible to everything are stupid and scrubby. We need reversals that only reversal against highs, lows and throws respectively.
But we DO have situation specific reversals. Not every reversal is throw invincible, and some reversals are specifically throw invincible only.

Reactions: Dime
But we DO have situation specific reversals. Not every reversal is throw invincible, and some reversals are specifically throw invincible only.

Yes, agreed, we certainly do. And remember that we ALSO have fully invincible reversals. It's balanced as to the game.

So now it becomes:

Do you have a good reason for her NOT to have a st.lp that hits all the cast ducking or not, when many of the cast have this already? And when squigly is known to be one of the harder characters to use (and when even parasouls st.lp has this)?

It seems that the only reason you gave is to make her specifically think more...which seems kinda mean to her in general.

I'm not even saying she needs it. I'm just saying that with all her other situation specific stuff, it would more than likely be a welcome benefit to squigly players.

It seems that the only reason you gave is to make her specifically think more...which seems kinda mean to her in general.
I mean, it's not even specific to her though. Other characters have standing LP that are faster than their c.LP, but will whiff on crouching opponents. Should we just have everyone be able to hit crouching opponents with s.LP then? We also need to take into consideration if it even visually makes sense.

I'd love if Filia's s.MP would hit crouching opponents close up, but it doesn't. Thus I default to an alternative not-as-good option that I have to compensate.

I mean, it's not even specific to her though. Other characters have standing LP that are faster than their c.LP, but will whiff on crouching opponents. Should we just have everyone be able to hit crouching opponents with s.LP then? We also need to take into consideration if it even visually makes sense.

I'd love if Filia's s.MP would hit crouching opponents close up, but it doesn't. Thus I default to an alternative not-as-good option that I have to compensate.

Squigly is the only character that I see that could specifically really use it in my mind. Like double "suffers" from the same thing... But double has j.hp to fall back on as a confirm and as an all around jumpin and air to air and pushblock bait... All in one.

Painwheel doesn't have st.lp x2 either... But she doesn't need it. She has st.lp, into a lk. Squigly is the only character that kinda seems assed out on this front.

Im not saying that she SHOULD have it. But that it makes sense for her to have it, to me at least with what other characters have in this game.

The only reason I really could be swayed that she doesn't need it is if it definitely isn't mikes intent to squiglys gameplay, rather than something he just didn't think about at the time. AND the fact that squigly already has a light attack that is 2 hits that hits crouchers (st.lk)

The primary thing that makes me think she should have it though is that she has it against many other characters, so it isn't a tool that she is always without.

Squigly has a 2 hit sLK, she does not need sLP to hit everyone crouching. Most of the cast crouching under something (or too close and whiffs) isn't even unique to her. And anyone who does have stLP that whiffs on some crouching, they have some other light that is multihit and hits lower (and I think they're all slower than the normal that whiffs on crouching).

Double has crLPx2
Para has sLKx2
MF has crLP x2

etc.

Seems like it's on purpose

Last edited:
Reactions: zarkingphoton
While we mention things like standing jabs not hitting, Big Band's standing jab will occasionally miss Peacock on some of her standing idle frames.

Does it matter? Does it -need- to be fixed? Naaaaah. Why? Cause whether I'm defending or offending I should be using c.LP or c.LPx2 to confirm, especially after a parry confirm when I know that the opponent can low profile me if I did s.LP instead (Fortune does this alot to BB if you try to follow up with s.LP at mid/low height) with their falling frames on the way down or they've already landed and are going for either throw or a low profile low, in which case, I will still have frame advantage and will actually hit them out of their choices no matter what, and even if they block it, c.LP is a fine, safe normal and I have choices out of it.

I feel like low profile frame advantages are fair, cause you will usually have an option to beat it out that just isn't s.LP. Just need to think about which normal you're tossing instead and know to confirm off of it, instead of just pressing buttons with your s.LP and hoping you can confirm off of the s.LP you happened to mash out and land.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
RoboFortune
- First voices...!
- c.HK recovery -5f.
- Add Systemic Circuit Breaker: QCB+PP/214+PP, Level 3. Lasts 700 frames before exploding. Will not explode while assisting, throwing, or being thrown, but does count down time. Will not explode during hitstun after being thrown, until she is hit again.
- While Systemic Circuit Breaker is active, forward walk/dash/jump speeds increased by 20%; back walk speed increased by 10%; Ground and air L/M Theonite Beams knock down; and cr.HK recovery decreased by 10f.
- Headrone RAM (kamikaze) now does not disappear if it goes off the back of the screen, instead of the front of the screen. Thanks...someone whose name I forgot to write down. :^)
- Headrone Impact (mines) now come out 250px in front of Robo instead of 150px; they last for nine seconds, as opposed to six; they hit on the way down when activated; and they disappear if Robo is hit or thrown.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/208632365251271916

RoboFortune
- First voices...!
- c.HK recovery -5f.
- Add Systemic Circuit Breaker: QCB+PP/214+PP, Level 3. Lasts 700 frames before exploding. Will not explode while assisting, throwing, or being thrown, but does count down time. Will not explode during hitstun after being thrown, until she is hit again.
- While Systemic Circuit Breaker is active, forward walk/dash/jump speeds increased by 20%; back walk speed increased by 10%; Ground and air L/M Theonite Beams knock down; and cr.HK recovery decreased by 10f.
- Headrone RAM (kamikaze) now does not disappear if it goes off the back of the screen, instead of the front of the screen. Thanks...someone whose name I forgot to write down. :^)
- Headrone Impact (mines) now come out 250px in front of Robo instead of 150px; they last for nine seconds, as opposed to six; they hit on the way down when activated; and they disappear if Robo is hit or thrown.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/208632365251271916

beep boop meow meow!

Love Robo's new lines, though they could do with being a tiny bit louder in my opinion.
Also love detonation mode as well.

I like what I've been hearing about Robo lately. I'll have to actually practice with her now.

Also the BEEEAAAAMM~! dialogue reminds me of the Neko characters from Melty Blood.

A-Train and Brass are two reasons I think BB is weaker, oddly enough.

The recovery on them is unbelievably punishable, and so they require BB to effectively make a guess and eat a lot of damage if he is wrong. If he makes a series of good guesses, BB seems psychic, but more often than not, I can make a BB afraid to use either of them in your average match-up.
Isn't that the point of nearly every move in the game? If you commit to something and it doesn't pay off, you get punished. If I fiber and it get's blocked I'm incredibly punishable. If you block Excerebella, Cerebella is incredibly punishable. Or if you throw out a Buer grab to anti air your pretty punishable. Big Band can be pretty great if you are patient and you just don't throw out A Trains like crazy. I think it's fine the way it is.

If you catch someone with either you get a free set up or a full combo if you do SSJ > H Giant Step > H Pinion assist. The way I see it is high risk high reward. You're commiting to a move so why can't it be punishable?

Last edited:
First, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be punishable. Not by a mile. I actually like that BB is weaker on point because that is at least some compensation to his unbelievably good assists. I think the knowledge that BB might eventually have to actually fight is the one thing that stops him from being on every team.

Isn't that the point of nearly every move in the game?

Not in this game, not generally. Most people aren't doing things as punishable as either A-Train or Brass all that regularly, and everyone else(?) has ways to make unsafe things safe. Excellabella is a good example to use here (or hk.buer), because Bella's (and PWs) don't throw it out like BBs typically do. And even if they did, no one has the hurtboxes that BB does. If he fucks up... he's getting hit. You're 100% right that he is high risk/high reward, but this is in a game in which literally every other character is low risk/ high reward which is why I think BB will always be weaker compared to the rest of the cast (of course, ignoring that his assists are stupid good).

Reactions: dead
First, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be punishable. Not by a mile. I actually like that BB is weaker on point because that is at least some compensation to his unbelievably good assists. I think the knowledge that BB might eventually have to actually fight is the one thing that stops him from being on every team.

Not in this game, not generally. Most people aren't doing things as punishable as either A-Train or Brass all that regularly, and everyone else(?) has ways to make unsafe things safe. Excellabella is a good example to use here (or hk.buer), because Bella's (and PWs) don't throw it out like BBs typically do. And even if they did, no one has the hurtboxes that BB does. If he fucks up... he's getting hit. You're 100% right that he is high risk/high reward, but this is in a game in which literally every other character is low risk/ high reward which is why I think BB will always be weaker compared to the rest of the cast (of course, ignoring that his assists are stupid good).

I'm not completely going against what you are saying, but he's actually not a bad point character at all. My big band is one of my most effective characters on point:

He can double jump turtle. His jlk has to be respected, he shouldn't use his h a train he should use m a train. If he does it becomes very hard to punish If bb spaces it right, his m and h brass stuff is unsafe on block, but you can use L brass instead which is a juggernaut of a move and when spaced properly could draw certain comparisons to filial iAd jhp (the hitbox is invulnerable low so to speak) His reversal game is phenomenal and he has good offensive push block/upbback frame traps and he can os parry reversals on his low/throw resets (parry input, then low, or parry input then throw. Offensively he has a good amount of parry os stuff. His resets are basic for the most part... But he gets lots of damage from simple low/throw mixups and as mentioned, with some t mode time he can use an is parry to make them safe from reversals.

His biggest issues are he's super easy to low/overhead mixup when you are in, but also leaves opponents open to HIS phenomenal reversals... And he doesn't convert dp assists well. But he can actually call out assists with his e brake armor move which definitely has uses.

He has bad match ups against Fukua and robo fort though.

Last edited:
Loving those lines so far! But the overall volume need to be a little louder, otherwise i have a hard time hearing some of these.

Also am i hallucinating a Glados reference in there? Nice!

Her voice is extremely quiet in comparison to the rest of the game. I also think the robot effect on it is a little too strong. I can't tell what she's saying.

Reactions: Cas Chronon
I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional and I've read through a few patch notes, however, I can go into Big Band's Satchamo Solo by skipping the s.mp hold and just starting off with the s.lp etc. I can do this just raw by itself and during any combo, it makes doing it just before A-train or Brass end a lot easier, lol. Hopefully someone might know if its a bug or intentional? @Mike_Z

That's been a thing since before he was even released, it's intentional.

Reactions: Mr. X
That's been a thing since before he was even released, it's intentional.
Hmm, so then should the command list notation for Satchamo Solo should be changed? Since it says '[during MP]' before the inputs, which lead me to believe I had to use MP. So maybe it can be changed to have the '[during MP]' part as a note? I'm sure I cant be the only one who didn't know, or am I?

Nope, I didn't know either. Though, I think I've only ever even done his level 5 once I think.

nah man, think it as the raging demon. Just gotta be quick. for the tutorial the trumpet is there for new players who don't have the speed to pull off the demon to still be able to combo into the lvl 5.

Reactions: Wenzel
I've seen Mike do it dozens of times so I'd imagine it's completely intentional.

Hmm, so then should the command list notation for Satchamo Solo should be changed? Since it says '[during MP]' before the inputs, which lead me to believe I had to use MP. So maybe it can be changed to have the '[during MP]' part as a note? I'm sure I cant be the only one who didn't know, or am I?

Damn. I thought I'd updated his command list with that. I made a new tutorial section for it, which will be added with Robo Fortune's patch. Guess I'll be sure to update his command list too.

That means it's intentional, yes.

There is a new untitled mode in Single Player not mentioned in the patch notes, is this just a flat out Vs. AI mode?

If that's the case, it should be handy! I often wanted to fight specific nightmare opponent or team in a specific stage, wish granted!

Why doesn't landing on the chair with the Three Wulf Moonsault build a level of hype?

General
- Peacock has the correct number of fingers everywhere. :^P
- BUGFIX: AI no longer breaks when you run underneath them and keep running. YAAAAY!

We don't save things for Salty anymore...here we goooooooooo!

RoboFortune
- Way more voices and sounds. Maybe...all of them?
- FIXED THE TEXT ON THE SUPER LASER when facing left. Thanks Cellsai you are the Irish man!
- LK and MK Headrones do chip damage now, thanks Beefy Heropon.
- Beam hit sounds are 50% as loud.
- Added Danger!: QCT+K/236+K. The L version is above-the-waist invincible up through the active frames, and the M version is throw invincible though the beginning of the active time.
- Added taunt, "Really Talks!": HP, LK, Back, LP, LP (Dan's Otoko Michi). A fully completed taunt doubles the number of missiles moussles! from the next Headrone Salvo.
- Increased DHC window after Systemic Circuit Breaker from 6f to 8f. The timing for it is still weird, but the window is now the same as Hatred Install.
- j.HK is no longer an overhead. It does a lot of other things, and the variable timing combined with lows was a bit too annoying. j.MP is still a fast multi-hit overhead.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/209758898023838039

Reactions: old_gus
I noticed Player vs CPU was added to the beta.
I am overjoyed.

I don't know is this a coincidence or a true reference, but "systemic circuit breaker" is very similat to a famous gunbuster scene (MASSIVE SPOILER GUNBUSTER OVA 6)
(+ robo ky)

EDIT, better example

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
Why wouldn't Skullgirls reference the first anime with jiggle physics

GUNBUUUUUSTAH

Reactions: KhaosMuffins