• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

If your opponent is letting you block string into shadows, they dont know the matchup. The fastest is L Shadow and Im sure they startup so slow that nothing is trueblockstring into them.

IT IS?!

All these years I've been living a lie.

Remember when Khaos was one of us?

One of us. One of us. One of us.

khaos went solo at evo after not playing solo in 9ever
once a solo always a solo just accept it

can we talk about how how players are going to use quake if sniper shot is changed?

If your opponent is letting you block string into shadows, they dont know the matchup. The fastest is L Shadow and Im sure they startup so slow that nothing is trueblockstring into them.

Is this also true of cr.lk xx fly j.lk with pw? Cause i do that all day long and rarely get hit out of them even though they are "unsafe" as all hell. But then again I'm not noob enough to ONLY do that so maybe thats why i think things like having holes in your blockstrings and getting away with having said holes, doesnt mean that the opponent that lets you "get away with it" means they dont know the matchup.

Case in point how many painwheels out there get away with cr.lk, cr.mk, st.hp? Cause the cr.mk>st.hp isnt a tight blockstring... So we should all be reversaling that shit...but wait, this isnt theory fighter this is actual in game stuff where you have to make "reads" not just go off of rote "this character cant do this cause this" stuff.

Rather than say your opponent sucks if they get hit by a shadow... I'm more inclined to think people suck if they cant get off any shadows...

Buuuuuut...i could be wrong.

Painwheel fly mix ups aren't too hard to block. Neither are Fukua shadow mix ups. You can beat both in different ways, but the main difference is one of those ways vs Fukua is throw, while painwheel avoids that option lol
Pretty cool. I also feel like of the two Fukua's are easier to react too, the hardest thing to react too being cr.lk -> shadow, but overhead one is easy to block, and you should be downbacking anyways so the only reason you should get hit is if you tried to pushblock early. I understand getting messed up by command grabs/throws but up close shadows come with risk, and maybe it is too + on block, but it shouldn't be the way it is now :(

edit: That's not to say that you should never get hit by these mix ups or anything, people will, just that they are some of the easier things to deal with in this game.

Last edited:
Throws actually scale to 50%.
Funny how you expect him to know this. Know your audience.

edit: Nice to see Mike's working to keep his sanity by avoiding this thread for a while. Once his battery is charged he'll be right back in here to lose his faith in humanity again. But don't you worry, once he loses that he'll be right back to work so there's that.

Last edited:
Not if he quits working on the game. Then everybody loses, like a headless fortune mirror.

What would this entail? Looking at this hitbox, it already doesn't have an arm hitbox before the first active frame. I'm pretty sure hitgrabs already don't trade with regular hits by definition, so it might as well be invincible as far as that frame is concerned
Wrong frame, that's after she grabs.

There actually isn't much of a hitbox on the arm anyway... @worldjem I pretty much never have Excella lose, but I can try a thing maybe.

Two command throws connecting on the same frame is randomly determined, that's why the majority of them are throw invincible on the active frame (BRB doing that to LK A-Train, Inevitable Snuggle can stay as it is).
Two hitgrabs should also be randomly determined.

More scaling than a throw??
Oh, Dan. ::pats you on the head:: Whenever I mention damage scaling just multiply 1000 by the percentage listed. Throws scale 1000 dmg to 500 dmg, j.HK scales 1000 dmg to 750 dmg.

@whoever that was
BB's j.HK can't be supercancelled after the first active frame or two, but it is active all the way down. j.HK is not.

@Negus Eyoel
Sliding on super fireball is likely staying gone, mostly due to shadow oki.

Wrong frame, that's after she grabs.

I recorded it at 10% speed and then stepped frame by frame, the second screenshot is immediately after the first
The first active frame does have an arm hurtbox of course, but that doesn't matter here since it doesn't trade.

I've had excellabella lose to double j.HP/painwheel j.MP more times than I feel I should have.

That's just me tho

I've had excellabella lose to double j.HP/painwheel j.MP more times than I feel I should have.
It's not an DP, nor is it supposed to be a really good reaction antiair. It's anti-jump, the counterpart to command grabs, and I guess I feel it works well enough for that.
See: Heat Knuckle.

OH now I remember...someone asked about Big Band dashing after a parry. Nope, because it'll mess with multiple parry inputs since you are unable to do anything (including parry) on the first frame of a dash. You can't dash out of a parry in 3s either, I assume for similar reasons since you can't do anything out of a dash in 3s.

I recorded it at 10% speed and then stepped frame by frame, the second screenshot is immediately after the first
The first active frame does have an arm hurtbox of course, but that doesn't matter here since it doesn't trade.
It doesn't trade, but it does lose if they hit your arm while avoiding the hit.

Last edited:
I looked at replays for the first time in beta last night.

Yeesh, didn't know fights would look so bad when the lag is corrected. I currently have no thoughts on how to help with that.
On the other hand, video naming convention might be best with: recording #, date, mode, other player (if online).
I'm not sure if there's local replays so I'm not sure if the last bit needed to be specified.

*see changes* i'm back and will be giving this change a full week and the weekend before posting my thoughts.

Bugfixes
- Fix just-frame standing-block-in-air/stop air momentum bug when tapping a button after certain super flashes. You still won't get an attack but you will continue your normal jump arc. Thanks Guitalex!
- Double's Bandwagon Rushdown has new dust that possibly more easily indicates which side she's coming from.
- Fukua's super fireball starts closer to her, hitbox expanded downward in the back; now connects fully on both block and hit vs crouching Valentine/Filia/Fukua in the corner. Thanks yaboidekillsage.
- Fortune's head hits for Headbutt/Zoom/Sneeze/Nom/golf snapback no longer have corner pushback on Fortune's body. Thanks Stuff!
- Redo the opponent's thrown reaction for Excellabella to look a little more fluid; fix Double's upside-down thrown frames to be in the right order.
- Big Band's LK A-Train is properly throw invincible on the active frame.
- Increase kara window on Big Band's j.HK (to H Cymbal Clash) from 3f to 6f.
- Allow Down to be held for longer after the LK during the motion for Big Band's Satchmo Solo.
- Super-cancel window on Cerebella's Diamond Drop and Merry Gorilla now ends before they go active, like all other command grabs. Thanks yaboidekillsage.

Beta Experiments: That What-Are-They-Doing-To-My-Game Feeling
- Characters do not go into preblock vs air attacks, only close ground attacks.
- Characters can block high during jump startup with UB or B.
- Can't shake stagger on counterhit.
- Can't tech throws out of stagger.
Parasoul
-Silent Scope now crumples from any height, even Nekhbet Breaker or Valentine's Lv3. Thanks Ninja.
- Silent Scope now allows combos like it used to when it hits a grounded opponent.
Cerebella
- Cerebella's Devil Horns invincibility stops after the active frames, super cancel period 8f shorter. (Extra time on both was a mistake in the original script. Ultimate Showstopper after blockstun ends still possible but now a 3f window.)
- Improve the opponent's movement on Cerecopter, maybe. Hopefully followup supers miss less often?
Ms. Fortune
- Cat Spike no longer floor bounces if you only hit with the smack. I finally had to do it...thanks Inuchiyo. :^)
- Decap Attack (hitting the head) no longer gives Fortune meter for hitting the opponent; still gives the opponent meter.
Big Band
- Big Band's MK and HK A-Train startup -3f. MK A-Train is now only 1f slower than Excellabella.
Fukua
- j.HK now scales to 90% instead of 75%.
Fukua's Forever A Clone
- All animations are 44f long, L 22 startup before shadow appears and 22 recovery; M 26+18; H 30+14. (From the Real Game this equates to L +8f recovery; M +1f startup, +7f recovery; H +7f startup.)
- L/M/H blockstun 20/21/22f.
- At point blank L is +/-0 on block, M +14f, H +20f.
- M shadow pulls airborne opponents downward faster on block.
- Color-coded the startup and clones, L is reddish, M is black, H is bluish.

Last edited:
Holy shit:

- Characters can block high during jump startup with UB or B.

Does this mean that SOID and Cymbal won't hit you out of pre-jump frames?

If so, I've run out of things to bitch about. I feel so... empty.

!!!!!!!!
I want to experience this. Yo
yo fortune players
PLEASE see me later

- Silent Scope now allows combos like it used to when it hits a grounded opponent.

holy crap Mike lmao. Is Parasoul going to become the best????

- Cerebella's Devil Horns invincibility stops after the active frames, super cancel period 8f shorter. (Extra time on both was a mistake in the original script. Ultimate Showstopper after blockstun ends still possible but now a 3f window.)

I need to try this later. Seems pretty significant if it does what I believe it does.

Reactions: Cadenza
Does this mean that SOID and Cymbal won't hit you out of pre-jump frames?
More importantly, it means Bella lost her Knuckle/MGR halfscreen 50/50, and it is now possible for characters to reliably antiair with something like a jumpback jLK (previously, the opponent's air button would trigger preblock and glue you to the ground).

Also, assists aren't beating upback anymore.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I can't believe that it's finally happened.

You can up back highs. Not lows. I'm... I think I'm gonna cry. Someone pinch me to make sure I'm awake.

Someone pinch me to make sure I'm awake.
dont-make-me-come-over-there-and-pinch-your-ass.jpg

dont-make-me-come-over-there-and-pinch-your-ass.jpg
Yay, I am awake!

That, or I have done sort of repressed sexual attraction to the most interesting man in the world.

...he does have a sexy accent.

Reactions: gllt and Zidiane
> Characters can block high during jump startup with UB or B.

Does this mean you now won't get bopped out of up back when you're trying to say, block MK Bomber coming at you from full screen? Or any situation where you up back and get hit by the overhead move anyway?

Fukua needs some mirror globes, lasers, sunglasses and dubstep sound effect when she's using Forever a Clone.
dude, as funny as this is. please refrain from silly talk. this is for discussions primarily and i don't feel like having doing this sort of thing again. though there is a thread for it.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Fukua needs some mirror globes, lasers, sunglasses and dubstep sound effect when she's using Forever a Clone.
Am now hoping for Dubstep Trumpet DLC so we can play our favorite dubstep solos with Big Band.

Reactions: Cadenza
> Characters can block high during jump startup with UB or B.

Does this mean you now won't get bopped out of up back when you're trying to say, block MK Bomber coming at you from full screen? Or any situation where you up back and get hit by the overhead move anyway?
That means that you won't get hit or if you jump block by high/mid attacks, projectiles, high/mid hitting assists or any attacks that don't trigger preblock.

More importantly, it means Bella lost her Knuckle/MGR halfscreen 50/50, and it is now possible for characters to reliably antiair with something like a jumpback jLK (previously, the opponent's air button would trigger preblock and glue you to the ground).

Also, assists aren't beating upback anymore.

Even low-hitting assists don't beat up+back which I think is unintentional? Either way this is a big change, I'm not even sure what the full implications of it are but damn.

Also, while testing this I noticed that if I record the dummy to call assist and set to playback-as-reversal it doesn't work.

Even low-hitting assists don't beat up+back which I think is unintentional?
I'm not sure... @Mike_Z would know.

Also, while testing this I noticed that if I record the dummy to call assist and set to playback-as-reversal it doesn't work.
Been like that since day one. Try mashing assist for a second when recording.

Ha.
This just demonstrates the upback change in a way everyone can relate to.

Did you see that weird thing Double did to Peacock's projectiles while landing and holding upback? It's called BLOCKING and it's kind of nice.

Yeah that's super nice. Let's play around with it a bit more though. :O

Edit: Can someone make a video on Excellebella for me?

Last edited:
Ha.
This just demonstrates the upback change in a way everyone can relate to.

Did you see that weird thing Double did to Peacock's projectiles while landing and holding upback? It's called BLOCKING and it's kind of nice.

why wasn't it like this before?

From the sounds of it, the changes to upback should make it way easier to chicken block. It sounds like you can now hold upback to chicken block jumping attacks from the point character (this only worked for projectiles and assists before, so you had to neutral or forward jump to block jump ins), and if you slightly mistime it and get hit during the jump startup you block it on the ground instead of getting hit.

Hopefully this means people start taking advantage of chicken blocking more. It's pretty strong!

Reactions: gllt

why wasn't it like this before?
Because you could not go into ground preblock if something couldn't cause preblock, like projectiles from a distance or HK cymbal from a distance. If you tried jumping you could get hit during jump startup, even by attacks you could normally block standing.

Or so I think.

So from what I understand, up close people will still lose to lows if they upback and still go into preblock so they won't automatically jump, but they can actually block assists and stuff now by upbacking????

Can't tech throws out of stagger means squigly and peacock can combo off of their staggers with throws. Pretty cool

How does can't shake out stagger of counter hit work? Does the move that initiated the stagger have to be the move that counter hit or does it mean if my cr.lk was counterhit then I can combo into stagger and they can't shake out? I'm thinking this is more a peacock buff than anything if the move that counterhit had to initiate stagger. Can't check myself atm much sorry