• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

MPGame does some pretty amazing stuff with Robo/Val (H Bypass)/Beo (H Chair).
Yep, someone a while ago suggested me to pick up beo and do the same as mp, since that team can control a lot of space and be extremely annoying to fight against.

How do you stick with a team? I'm having trouble finding character loyalty.

I think Beo (MK tackle) / PW (H Pinion) / BB (LBE) is the best order.

Brass isn't as important as an invincible DP assist. You can use LBE to extend blockstrings / mix-up on oki & incoming similar to H Brass usage. The problem with H chair is that it's so slow to recharge, and once you use the assist Beo comes in chairless. You lose j.HP which is huge for neutral / defense / stray conversions. I think Beo is stronger on point with chair j.H and his other tools controlling the air and moving in slowly. H Pinion covers the ground and allows silly things like call PW, j.HP(blocked) > H Pinion blocked > hop high/low/throw.

I also came up with simple midscreen Beo to PW hard tag combos that do waaaay more damage than a Painwheel BnB to Beo DHC. Beo to PW also has safe DHC to install for easy snipes with gigantic arm. Last but not least, PW with LBE as coverage is just super good, and better when you're flying around than H Brass is (better for neutral and converting)

Reactions: Dime
Pws theoretical best spot is second on a trio. You don't have to deal with her sub par round start, she has a safe dhc, and she has tag combos. The hard part is finding a character that makes GOOD use of her assist choices, who also is a good dhc.

Parasoul and double are probably the best characters that I know of to put in front of pw. But Beowulf should be great as well, the primary problem being dhc on hit I think, but I don't know.

Also, how are you converting BE L with Beowulf? I find that hopping forward throws off my otg conversions a bit and air conversions aren't always there.

Not saying your team isn't good.. I like it :) and yeah beo chairless on the incoming HURTS If your opponent know how to put the chip on you.

Also like Beo/PW/BB team order the best. Having someone to DHC off of H Hurl, Sweep, Gigantic Arm is very damaging. I would go for cr.hp assist for Beowulf simply because of the above sequence would leave you with the chairless cr.hp and that thing is cool. Of course this isn't always going to happen, but I support cr.hp as Beowulf's 2nd best assist.

@Dime

- For DHC problem from Beo > PW I found 3 solutions. Do a full Beo combo and otg with c.MK (clinch -> 2 knees) wait till opponent falls very low to ground and Gigantic arm DHC Death Crawl. The low height should ensure the Death Crawl hits. 2nd fix is to save your otg during Beo's combos and end things with otg Gigantic Arm DHC Death Crawl. The process of otging ensures the opponent is low enough for the DHC to hit as well.

By far the best fix I found (I use this exclusively) is to do a hardtag combo and do a PW combo instead, to Death Crawl DHC Arm which is waaaay more stable. The basic intro to this is: Beo j.HP, c.LKMP s.HK xx L Chair, hop j.MP, s.HK xx hard tag xx j.air buer land cancel, walk forward otg s.HP xx L Buer >>> whatever the heck you want. The land cancel is vital because you don't advance the combo stages by flying and you save undizzy which gives you a huge combo (it will do 13k plus after supers in 3v3)

- For LBE pick-up it's piss easy with Beo. I'm finding more than enough time to walk/hop into position and c.LKHP otg for a full combo. If you want to save your otg you can do j.MPHP xx L Tackle, 2K, c.LK etc or something.

@Kyugetsuki I've never tried chairless c.HP or c.HK as an assist because I dislike not having it available immediately + Beo chairless on incoming is ass. Once he makes it to the ground his neutral is significantly worse. I'm going to give it a shot though. I started using L Wolf Blitzer aka tackle as an assist because LBE deals with the air and Tackle is a good ground poke to cover a different part of the screen. It also works as a blockstring extender that hides your fly mix-ups and is easy to otg off of. You fly while calling L tackle to bully a grounded opponent, and LBE deals with every other situation. The downside of losing your chair later on is never an issue with this assist either.

Last edited:
Very good stuff rayn :) I like it.

Actually I haven't checked to see if beos low attacks will unblockable with pw... I should check that.

So I've been trying to figure out a team for some time now. My best 2 characters are Big Band and Fukua, so I want to use both of them if it's a good idea. I also know some Peacock, Eliza, and Fortune in decreasing order of skill (From worst to best: Fortune, Eliza, Peacock). Would any of those 3 work well with Big Band/Fukua? I've used Peacock point/Big Band anchor as well, but I have concerns about how it fares against any Peacock. If you suggest I pick up a new character, I'd prefer to stay away from Beowulf (I did the tutorial and he felt really unnatural to me) or Squigly and R-Fortune (Can't afford either). I wouldn't mind advice on how to organize it or which assists, either!

So I've been trying to figure out a team for some time now. My best 2 characters are Big Band and Fukua, so I want to use both of them if it's a good idea. I also know some Peacock, Eliza, and Fortune in decreasing order of skill (From worst to best: Fortune, Eliza, Peacock). Would any of those 3 work well with Big Band/Fukua? I've used Peacock point/Big Band anchor as well, but I have concerns about how it fares against any Peacock. If you suggest I pick up a new character, I'd prefer to stay away from Beowulf (I did the tutorial and he felt really unnatural to me) or Squigly and R-Fortune (Can't afford either). I wouldn't mind advice on how to organize it or which assists, either!
tbh you could just play Big Band and Fukua. I think that team's good.

tbh you could just play Big Band and Fukua. I think that team's good.
Sounds good! I'm guessing point Fukua (MP clone) and Anchor BB. What would be the best assist for BB?

Sounds good! I'm guessing point Fukua (MP clone) and Anchor BB. What would be the best assist for BB?
Either H Brass or L Beat Extend, depends what you want your assist to do. H Brass gives you horizontal space control and better zoning, L Beat Extend gives you vertical space control and another defensive option. I would go H Brass but that's because if I played Fukua my strategy would involve playing from full screen and throwing 9999999 fireballs

Reactions: Cadenza
In addition to what peanuts said, m giant step is really nasty with fukua. She's good enough on point that she doesn't particularly need any help moving horizontally or with anti air. But with block strings that have up to 4 low attacks when you include shadow, giant step is a problem your opponents won't want to deal with.

For fukua's assist either drill, m clone, low clone, or m fireball will work wonders for big band.

I am... skeptical that M Giant Step is a good assist.

Fair enough.

brass also gives her 8k plus midscreen, if you really need it. Plus the fact that brass is almost a free in works wonders for fukua

brass also gives her 8k plus midscreen, if you really need it. Plus the fact that brass is almost a free in works wonders for fukua
May I have this 8k midscreen combo please

Last edited:
Starter is cr.lk cr.mp cr.hp delay brass + m shadow, j.hk (if close to corner) s.mk s.hp j.mk j.hk s.lpx2 cr.mk s.hk l shadow delay s.lkx2 s.mk s.hk h drill, super
(If not in corner) after the second j.hk do this:
S.lp cr.mk cr.hp m fireball bff super, cr.lkx2 cr.mk s.hk m fireball/cr.hp h drill

Non corner one is weaker by 200

Twerks might be better i dunno

May I have this 8k midscreen combo please
c.lk s.mk++brass c.hp, L shadow, Run up s.hp, j.hp, j.hk, s.mk, s.hp, j.mk,j.hp,j.hk, s.lp s.lp, c.mp, c.hp, H drill, Drill super

does 8225 with s.lp s.lp

does 8265 if you do s.lp s.lk

Edit: I made a change in combo notation. Your ground string should be s.mk, not s.mp for better positioning for when you need to run up s.hp >.<

Last edited:
c.lk s.mk c.hp+brass, L shadow, Run up s.hp, j.hp, j.hk, s.mk, s.hp, j.mk,j.hp,j.hk, s.lp s.lp, c.mp, c.hp, H drill, Drill super

does 8225 with s.lp s.lp

does 8265 if you do s.lp s.lk

c.lk s.mk cr.hp l shadow is uncomboing outside the corner, so how is this midscreen?

Brass assist needs to be call alongside the lk or the mk then which wasnt typed, guess it was implied

I just call brass at the last string. Don't like overcomplicating my bnbs and it usually ends up doing more damage/same damage in the end.

c.lk s.mk cr.hp l shadow is uncomboing outside the corner, so how is this midscreen?
The brass hits first. if you have trouble then call brass during s.mk. I've just tested it 20 times. oh my brain thought that but my hands typed it right after c.hp. Let me edit that
also for corner with brass @mcpeanuts

c.lk, s.mk, s.hk + brass, s.hk, H shadow, s.mk c.hp, M shadow, sj, j.hp, j.hk, s.mp, L shadow s.lp,s.lk s.mp/c.mk c.hp/s.hk H drill, Drill super.

if you choose c.mk and s.hk for optimal damage you get 8.6k in the corner.

also let me give you the accurate damage for the midscreen cause it does 8315 if you do s.lp s.lp c.mk instead and 8355 if you do s.lp, s.lk(if you really need to squeeze out damage i guess)

anyhow let me edit my original post so people dont get confused.

Edit: the damage for optimized route is 8688

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I just call brass at the last string. Don't like overcomplicating my bnbs and it usually ends up doing more damage/same damage in the end.
Depends on the assist and the point character I think. Like, calling Big Band assist early in my Peacock combo adds like 1500 damage, or lets me do 5000 at max undizzy. I can't do that if I call him during the last string.

Actually while we're on the subject I'm watching the set you uploaded with Sonic recently and you keep doing at max undizzy like s.LP c.MP c.HP xx H Shadow > c.LK s.MK c.HP xx M Shadow. Calling Brass during the first c.HP lets you do that same combo with the same timing but add like 1000 damage.

Reactions: dekillsage
This is with Fukua. Two reasons why I don't do that. 1) I kinda suck. 2) There are times where I hit confirm, but a lot of the time I don't because I'm on auto pilot. In those situations I'd rather play it a bit safer and not risk both characters getting happy birthday'd somehow, and if I still need another reset to kill then it doesn't matter.
However, if getting the extra 1k means I can do reset -> fireball chip for the kill I might start doing that on the last character.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Wow guys, thanks for all the help!

@dekillsage now that you're here, I recently watched your ft10 with Jabara. He's a JP player who runs MF / Robo / BB really well. The games were great btw! I learned a lot. I was curious to how good you think his team his? These are really questions for everybody though, all advice is welcome!

I also took his shell and created this: Painwheel (H Pinion) / Robo (H Laser / BB (LBE). What do y'all think of this team?

Pros:
- PW j.MP on block > Robo assist > if they crouch I can throw or fly overhead and if they block the laser I get a gazillion mix-ups
- High damage DHCs in lvl 1 or lvl 3
- LBE allows Robo to combo meterless off her throw midscreen
- H Laser allows PW to fly in the air while controlling the ground / make people crouch
- H Pinion works so that Robo can be played on point and you can get fullscreen conversions with LP laser, and HK Giant step and so on
- Jakarta made the Robo (H Laser) + BB (LBE) shell look really strong in any either order, so if PW dies the team doesn't suck.

My other question, seeing as you're probably the best Beowulf right now. How good do you think L or M Bomber is for Beowulf? In a team like Beo / MF (H Fiber) / Double (M Bomber). Or would Parasoul (L Shot) be a better horizontal assist for Beo's neutral and oki? I'm trying to find a way to not use H Brass like everyone else has been doing haha

Last edited:
The team sounds fine. I would consider running big band 2nd so you can combo off your dhc with giant step + assist, but that's not really a must.

I think either hornet bomber is fine for Beowulf, so really pick the one you think suits your style more. I go with M because I like assists that control space and help me with neutral, more than dp assists.

L shot is fine too. Play whoever you like more honestly lol.

Reactions: RaynEX
xposting from my training thread

pickles said:
Double (M bomber) / PW (?? Pinion) / Filia (L/H updo, probably H but i've entertained L for faster alpha counters even though I haven't tried it yet either).

I saw this team order first a week or so ago from a video someone linked on maximillian's channel of a set between MMDS and Negus WAY back when SG first dropped on PC; Negus was running it. Initially I chalked it up to a team for older days when Filia was a better anchor and forgot about it, but after playing negus again and seeing him run Double/PW/Fukua I gave it a bit more thought.

Advantages:
-Double point is really good right now, and having double with assists behind her is something I missed from playing dub/fil/bb. Gllt i think has some double w/ L (i think?) pinion stuff, might play with other strengths of pinion depending on what's best for filia, I'll ask around.
-Notably, this team has Filia in the anchor position, which I have said in the past (and still believe) is her worst position by far. However, a significant benefit of this team is order flexibility. With double on point, and one bar of meter, I can raw tag combo into Filia (or at worst, fugazi tag), turning the order into Filia/PW/Double, which is a good order. Even without an initial hit, if I can get 2 bars I can safe DHC into install for PW/Filia/Double which of course is also a solid order. The fact that I can turn the team order from having a suboptimal anchor to having a good anchor regardless of whether I am in a winning or losing position (assuming I have the bar) is a great strength in my opinion.

Disadvantages:
-The big one: If something should happen to Double and I can't get the bar (or I just die), PW/Filia is a very weak shell IMO. I don't know if there are ANY strengths of pinion that can help filia's approach like bomber can, and even if there are pw/filia doesn't have safe ways to change my team order.
-Following a bit on that, Double is the only character on my team that I feel is a significant threat in the anchor ROLE (not position; i.e. as the last character on my team with a bunch of meter). If I lose double at the start of the game then my comeback potential is diminished. Not that I don't feel comfortable playing Filia; I'm more than happy to play a 1v1 between filia and almost any character in the game, and hopefully my PW will get to that point as well. Double can just do a whole lot more with bar than Filia/PW can.

Overall the team looks to me on paper a bit like what I've heard Skarmand talk about his team with para/robo/double(?); losing para and having to deal with robo incoming is sort of like this team losing double and having to deal with pw/filia shell, but the team has enough failsafes to change the order if things go south that hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

Alright, so. As I've been learning this game (and fighting games in general) I've been playing duo teams almost exclusively, with the occasional solo thrown in. I've played a lot of Painwheel, Squiggly, and Fukua, with some Cerebella, Double, and Valentine thrown is as well. Until more recently, my match strategies were super basic (as in, try to get a hit and then do a combo. No real reset/mix up game at all), I never really utilized assist calls at all, and I avoided picking trios like the plague. A couple weeks back, two things happened. 1)I actually started to figure out how to use assists in a match (by using a pairing of Squiggly/Bella w/excellabella as an assist) 2)I found that I actually like using a trio way more than a duo when, for the hell of it, I played some matches with a team of Double/Squiggly/Bella.

I'm now at the point where I want to for real find a team. Like, a real team that can do things and is going to help me get my game to the next level. I've started to actually understand and figure out some ways to reset and mix up with Squiggly, but I'm having some trouble coming up with a team to put her in. For some reference, I've found myself to be a generally patient player. I'd rather wait for my opponent to screw up and then punish them than rush in and try to confuse them (which is why I probably like Squiggly so much). Based on this, who would you all suggest I start looking at to fill in the spots of ___/Squiggly/___? So far I've tried the already mentioned Dbl/Squig/Bella, as well as Val/Squig/Bella, Val/Squig/Dbl, and more recently Robo/Squig/Eliza. The first and last teams I listed worked out best for me so far, though I still don't really like using Bella all that much and I have no clue what to do as Eliza or Robo at the moment (besides shooting people with laser beams). I've messed around with mostly the suggested assists, but the only ones I've been able to use effectively are Squiggly+Excellabella and Robo+Squiggly's overhead (specifically, calling the overhead when using Robo's L Beam at point blank).

Feel free to suggest a specific team setup or just recommend some characters that can fit into my patient play-style and might work well together.

Try double/Squigly/Para (L bomber/Dnb/Pillar or L shot)

or the inverse being, Para/squigs/double (same order)

you can also try this fukua/squigly/double (H drill/ c.hp/L bomber)

you can try fortune/squigs/double( @Dolfinh ) (h fiber/ C.hp/ L bomber)

Point is. you're gonna be using squig's mid and mostly your choices for assist are either C.hp or dnb.

Reactions: Senjin
if you like being super patient then of the teams you listed val/squig/double sounds pretty good. As far as teams go pretty much any team of (good point char)/squigly/(good anchor char) will work because squigly is a very versatile character as far as team compositions go, but I wouldn't consider bella or eliza to be patient characters IMO. If you like them though go for it. Like twerk said your squig assist will almost always be c.hp or dnb unless you're going for weird gimmicks.

Alright, so. As I've been learning this game (and fighting games in general) I've been playing duo teams almost exclusively, with the occasional solo thrown in. I've played a lot of Painwheel, Squiggly, and Fukua, with some Cerebella, Double, and Valentine thrown is as well. Until more recently, my match strategies were super basic (as in, try to get a hit and then do a combo. No real reset/mix up game at all), I never really utilized assist calls at all, and I avoided picking trios like the plague. A couple weeks back, two things happened. 1)I actually started to figure out how to use assists in a match (by using a pairing of Squiggly/Bella w/excellabella as an assist) 2)I found that I actually like using a trio way more than a duo when, for the hell of it, I played some matches with a team of Double/Squiggly/Bella.

I'm now at the point where I want to for real find a team. Like, a real team that can do things and is going to help me get my game to the next level. I've started to actually understand and figure out some ways to reset and mix up with Squiggly, but I'm having some trouble coming up with a team to put her in. For some reference, I've found myself to be a generally patient player. I'd rather wait for my opponent to screw up and then punish them than rush in and try to confuse them (which is why I probably like Squiggly so much). Based on this, who would you all suggest I start looking at to fill in the spots of ___/Squiggly/___? So far I've tried the already mentioned Dbl/Squig/Bella, as well as Val/Squig/Bella, Val/Squig/Dbl, and more recently Robo/Squig/Eliza. The first and last teams I listed worked out best for me so far, though I still don't really like using Bella all that much and I have no clue what to do as Eliza or Robo at the moment (besides shooting people with laser beams). I've messed around with mostly the suggested assists, but the only ones I've been able to use effectively are Squiggly+Excellabella and Robo+Squiggly's overhead (specifically, calling the overhead when using Robo's L Beam at point blank).

Feel free to suggest a specific team setup or just recommend some characters that can fit into my patient play-style and might work well together.

I assume you don't like BIG BAND?

But the team that I like bets is double/squigly/X

Double can make good use of squiglys cr.hp assist when she calls it in conjunction with her jhp, and she can also make great use of it when she does fleshstep mixups. It's just an all around good upclose assist for double.

The hard part about this team is who to stick in back. Well, that's not the hard part... It should be BB. But if you don't like him then things can get murky because it can be hard to find assists that squigly works well with.

This is just theory but you could try Fukua or parasoul with there fireball assists... Double would be able to use both well and they might compliment squiglys lack of fireball.

Try BB if you like patience. He has great patient /turtle gameplay where all he does is walk backwards and make you guess between A train or unblockable giant step or brass.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
if you like being super patient then of the teams you listed val/squig/double sounds pretty good. As far as teams go pretty much any team of (good point char)/squigly/(good anchor char) will work because squigly is a very versatile character as far as team compositions go, but I wouldn't consider bella or eliza to be patient characters IMO. If you like them though go for it. Like twerk said your squig assist will almost always be c.hp or dnb unless you're going for weird gimmicks.
Yeah, I had kinda dropped Val because she's so far been the one character who's combos I just can't seem to do =/ I picked her up again today and spent a solid hour or so trying to do her midscreen BnB (from the general BnB thread) and I just couldn't land it. Well... I could, but only on heavy characters and only by changing it a little so I dunno. I like playing her but it seems ill-fated if I can't do her basic combos.
Try double/Squigly/Para (L bomber/Dnb/Pillar or L shot)

or the inverse being, Para/squigs/double (same order)

you can also try this fukua/squigly/double (H drill/ c.hp/L bomber)

you can try fortune/squigs/double (h fiber/ C.hp/ L bomber)

Point is. you're gonna be using squig's mid and mostly your choices for assist are either C.hp or dnb.
I assume you don't like BIG BAND?

But the team that I like bets is double/squigly/X

Double can make good use of squiglys cr.hp assist when she calls it in conjunction with her jhp, and she can also make great use of it when she does fleshstep mixups. It's just an all around good upclose assist for double.

The hard part about this team is who to stick in back. Well, that's not the hard part... It should be BB. But if you don't like him then things can get murky because it can be hard to find assists that squigly works well with.

This is just theory but you could try Fukua or parasoul with there fireball assists... Double would be able to use both well and they might compliment squiglys lack of fireball.

Try BB if you like patience. He has great patient /turtle gameplay where all he does is walk backwards and make you guess between A train or unblockable giant step or brass.
I should probably give BB a try. I've kind of been avoiding him for the same reasons I've been avoiding Parasoul (the reliance on charge moves), but I spent some time learning some Para combos and playing some with her and... it's really not that bad. Just a different style of play that I'm sure I could get used to.

I was messing around with a Val/Squig/Para (c.MK/DnB/Pillar) team today that I liked, though my Parasoul is pretty garbage. I like Double, but I still haven't figured out how to keep pressure up with her in the corner (especially without any assists). I will probably mess around with Dbl/Squig/BB maybe tomorrow or Friday and see how I feel about that.

Double pressure in the corner?

LOL. she's got some of the easiest intermediate pressure in the corner there ever was:

Jhk over and over... Seriously you will be surprised at how effective this can be and for how long.
Jhp early cancel into jhk fastfall and do it again and again. Mixing up these 2 can give double some serious pressure.

And after that, you can simply activate cats and that's crazy corner pressure. You also have a really good dash throw/low mixup that you can use and they're are some truly messed up things she can do with jhk on a downed opponent.

And after that, you can simply activate cats and that's crazy corner pressure.
Corner chip*

Don't waste two bars on heads just to keep the opponent in the corner for a little bit.

Heads are much easier to deal with if you're cornered.

Oh, man. When they up back and push block, and you jump back in with J.MK.