• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Sparties's Training Diary

One tip I heard about dealing with BB being so large is to honestly upback a little more than you're used to
QFT

Bigband's neutral is very much about not letting the opponent get close, and you have pushblock, upback, j.lk and cymbals to do that.

Watch jorge play, he's the best turtle band.

Reactions: Cadenza
so i have to cymbals and j.lk?
man, that's so boring, but the bellaband synergy game ridiculous

or play like a crazy shit and make it work i mean u got options

I'm gonna bust in like someone asked my opinion.

If you wanna play defensive as BB, just make sure you establish distance between you and the other player, whether its from brass or a train. Then you kinda just downback at various distances away and then L Brass when you think they're gonna do something that won't beat you. L brass is pretty fast and also reasonably safe so if you just kinda hang back, characters like filia kinda have to play your game. This isn't something you wanna do with characters that are cool with being far away from you though.

Most of my philosophy as big band is thinking I'm nice and just doing things. Is this read gonna work? Hell yeah it is because I'm fuckin nice see it worked amazing. Man lemme just reversal m brass because man shut up I'm smart hold my drink. Basically you're an idiot and went high because I predicted that and now I'm hitting you because I pressed forward within a ten or so frame window and then pressed jab wow I'm nice.

That paragraph is a bunch of nonsense that didn't need to be dropped here but thats my big band guide hope you liked it. The main points to draw from that are to always believe in yourself and your reads will never fail.

A lot of people are like "Big Band is bad because you can instant overhead him" or "Big Band is bad because you can bait his reversals", but you can't actually do both of those things at the same time

Actually, I think Parasoul can just jLP BB even on wakeup since for some reason a lot of times it'll hit BB through his DPs. At least that's I think that's what happens, since I know I've seen a lot of times where I just stuff out a BB reversal. That said, other than maybe random Parasoul instances this is true.

Most of my philosophy as big band is thinking I'm nice and just doing things. Is this read gonna work? Hell yeah it is because I'm fuckin nice see it worked amazing. Man lemme just reversal m brass because man shut up I'm smart hold my drink. Basically you're an idiot and went high because I predicted that and now I'm hitting you because I pressed forward within a ten or so frame window and then pressed jab wow I'm nice.

Just DO PARRY IT - Fizzxwizz 2015

Actually, I think Parasoul can just jLP BB even on wakeup since for some reason a lot of times it'll hit BB through his DPs. At least that's I think that's what happens, since I know I've seen a lot of times where I just stuff out a BB reversal. That said, other than maybe random Parasoul instances this is true.

can we just remove parasoul j.lp from the game
I will start a petition peanuts come sign it

BB's L Beat extend has one vulnerable frame before it goes strike invincible. This means it will lose to meaties like Parasoul jLP on wakeup.

BB's H Beat extend doesn't lose to meaties but the first Hitbox is a very small one sticking out of his side low to the floor which is not a good anti air. After that hitbox spawns he loses his invulnerability leaving he open to be hit with a jump in.

Parasouls JLP with different timings sorta stuffs both, rarely.

Solution: SSJ/A Train

so i have to cymbals and j.lk?
man, that's so boring
Nah it's fun

I dunno what else I can really add, everyone's advice has been great. Cymbals (experiment with the speed of the different strengths. I like whiffing buttons into cymbal too), j.LK (jump-back j.LK > L cymbals is good to create space), c.MP versus ground approaches (really long range and can confirm into c.HP for cool combos), max range M brass is great too. Since you're using Bella I can talk about giant step + M LnL assist, which is amazing. It's a true blockstring (if you do giant step + H LnL the opponent can just normal grab you so it's a bit of a gimmick) and generally safe from PBGC and leaves you in a position where you can decide to back off or go in. If you're using a trio then I wouldn't sacrifice the general utility of H LnL, but if you're interested in running a duo like I do I kinda like M.

Current Teams

Parasoul / Bella / Double -- Napalm Pillar _ [H] Lock'N'Load _ [M] Hornet Bomber (MAIN)

I really enjoy my main team. This is a team that I have dropped over and over despite enjoying the possibilities I have with it.
Parasoul definitely needs work. My neutral is not a threat in the slightest, and my tear game is mediocre at best.
Cerebella only needs to be a bit more unpredictable, which that just requires more experience with her. I remember Fenster telling me that I shouldn't abandon certain options just because they don't work once, and I think that I need to utilize this advice to the best of my ability.
Double could always use improvement. I'm content where I'm at with her ATM, but that does not limit my ability to get better.

Ms. Fortune / Robo Fortune / Double -- [H] Fiber Uppercut _ [H] Theonite Beam (or) S.HP _ [M] Hornet Bomber (EXPERIMENTAL)

This team is so much fun. The only problem I'm having is my weakest link, which is Robo.
Robo's zoning is boring, but the heads and the commands available are very handy. I just wish I knew of a safer way to perform the setup without getting knocked out of it by a super.
I really need to work on a synergy combo between Robo and the other two characters of this team. I feel that my pressure with this team is very poor because I don't call assists at all for some reason.
I'm fairly sure that I don't call assists is because I don't know how to work with each one as Robo. Fortune and Double are a bit easier because I know the characters much more than the robotic kitty.
Advice on Robo shit? Reading these threads is only melting my brain instead of helping.

Cerebella / Big Band -- [H] Lock'N'Load _ [H] Brass Knuckles (SUB)

Cerebella stuff was on the first quote.
Still trying to get used to Big Band. It's strange playing such a big character, and I have a hard time properly using his special moves.
I call A-Train at the worst times possible, and I'm so bad with cymbals that you can almost always punish me.
This is a really bad thing because if you can punish me after a move like cymbals, I'm doing something wrong.
I definitely need to lean back and rest on some more Brass Knuckles. I almost always use the hard version, so I need to focus a bit more on medium and light. It'll definitely prevent me from getting destroyed if it's blocked.
There is a severe lack of Giant Step in my gameplay. I really don't understand resets using that move?
Like, it just looks wonky when you reset with it, so it throws me off because I don't really know what to follow it up with.

The current advice I've been getting for Big Band is great. I just need to really use it now.

I guess that's it, lol, kill me.

bringing parasoul/filia/bella back
assists set as pillar, updo, and LnL

key is simplicity with this team. filia does not need convoluted resets, just a good combo with quick'n'easy resets. throws, high/lows, mix-ups, whatever.
i need opinions, though; in the corner using filia, is it better to end with...

A) c.lp x2, s.lk, s.mp, c.mk, s.hk > hairball > gregor > fenrir if bar is available

OR

B) c.lp x2, s.lk, s.mp, c.mk, s.hk > updo > gregor > fenrir if bar is available

i find updo to be better; makes it easier for me to hit the fenrir if i end up doing it.

is a better assist for filia pillar or napalm shot? the shot can help with pressure, but napalm's good for people who can't sit still, and filia can confirm.

crossunder resets for filia? i found one in training today, but i couldn't replicate it after the first time.

--

my parasoul's fairly strong. still confused as to how i could jump up and do j.hp > low tear > j.hp or j.hk in the corner. do i have to manually cancel the toss? @gllt @Dreamepitaph

--

not much to say about my bella. neutral needs to improve a bit more, need to utilize diamond drop more often. resets are slowly becoming more unpredictable.
need to learn which characters specifically work with her instant j.hp reset.

--

i guess that's it. thoughts? advice? anything's appreciated.

For now until i get more on parasoul question.

Filia you use updo > gregor for heavy characters

and the other for the rest.

In this team composition either or. Filia has more fun with L shot because No one wants to be near filia and most of the time do not have to be near her since she normals not suited for neutal mid range but rather close range. Pillar is a DP assist. that's good but that's pretty much it. L shot allows certain filia crossups to become even stronger (I can Record some stuff with the assist if you would like.). depends on what you value more for your filia and your bella.

For now until i get more on parasoul question.

Filia you use updo > gregor for heavy characters

and the other for the rest.

alright, thanks.

In this team composition either or. Filia has more fun with L shot because No one wants to be near filia and most of the time do not have to be near her since she normals not suited for neutal mid range but rather close range. Pillar is a DP assist. that's good but that's pretty much it. L shot allows certain filia crossups to become even stronger (I can Record some stuff with the assist if you would like.). depends on what you value more for your filia and your bella.

the tricky part is you know my s.hk > assist > pummel set-up with bella, and parasoul's pillar helps with the damage in that combo, but i definitely agree with the filia mix-up potential!
maybe the shot could give me some gimmicky runstop shit. i'd have to test it, but i have a strong feeling my premonition is right.
i've seen the shit you do when we play, that's why i was asking you about it actually. i'd really appreciate some clips of what you can do using it.
try to make it as practical as can be? i'd imagine that some of that stuff can get really gimmicky, and again, i'm aiming for simplicity.

still waiting for gllt on the parasoul thing. hopefully he'll respond, then maybe i can get some thoughts from you as well.

my parasoul's fairly strong. still confused as to how i could jump up and do j.hp > low tear > j.hp or j.hk in the corner. do i have to manually cancel the toss?

Are you saying: How do I do cHP jHP LToss jHP/jHK (detonates the tear) in the corner because when you're tossing the tear, it's hitting the wall instead of reaching the ground, so that doesn't work?

Great question, guess I'll lab that. I never bothered trying to make that work in the corner, lol. Sorry.
If you're asking something else: rephrase please?

Are you saying: How do I do cHP jHP LToss jHP/jHK (detonates the tear) in the corner because when you're tossing the tear, it's hitting the wall instead of reaching the ground, so that doesn't work?

Great question, guess I'll lab that. I never bothered trying to make that work in the corner, lol. Sorry.
If you're asking something else: rephrase please?

well, like
resetting
jumping up with a lockdown assist on the opponent
j.hp > toss > j.hk

i guess i should have been more specific?
in short, the move that comes after the toss (j.hk or j.hp) will begin the animation, but i'll hit the ground before it can continue.
is this a matter of a jump's height?

It is a matter of which normal you use. J.hk + assist is more effective. J.hp is used when you have tears deployed because its hitboxes from the tear is like an extension of j.hp. i also recommend using j.hp asap or near peak height then just tear toss and then j.hp again

Reactions: Sparties
Oh, I don't do that, so I don't know. :^) When I do, I alternate between jHP and jHK I guess, but HBypass is not a lockdown assist, lel.

Your order has arrived!
Bella with pummel if you time it right allows a overhead hitgrab that even if its blocked and attempted to punish, the tear will detonate and disrupt the combo and possibly allow you to convert instead.

Filia's first reset beats the following: Gregor(most of the time), Feral edge. Dynamo, Bomber, Updo, H dril, Fenrir(whiffs completely!), EKG

Bella can do a lot of things with Napalm shot since it lingers on the screen. you can stagger lows or even stagger normals in conjunction with Napalm shot. Please take some time into training mode with this particular thing.

still trying to get this sideswitch reset down with filia
it's so basic, what the fuckkkk

Additional notes: if you're doing the basic bnb and you want to use napalm shot.
Then do s.hp and wait a bit and call soul then iad j.lp.

You can then be very ambigous since s.hp shrinks her hurtbox and allows her to crossup or uncrossup. Hopefully my net will be back so i can make a video of my inputs and have it unlisted.

trying out bella/eliza/double
it's really cute

trying out bella/eliza/double
it's really cute

how many times have you thrown out puddle and tagged to bella/eliza on QM yet

do it

how many times have you thrown out puddle and tagged to bella/eliza on QM yet

do it
i've actually done puddle into bella several times and it works out greatttt
need to experiment w/ eliza

it's all smooth sailing from here
i've just accepted i'll never have a set team, it'll just be a line-up of two different chars + bella

t h e t r u t h
w i l l s e t y o u
f r e e

and possibly make you free in fighting games period, lmao

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, I'M BEING A FAGGOT AND MAINING DUCK HUNT IN SMASH 4 SMH HMU FUCK

Reactions: dMags and gllt
Finally have an excuse to use this then.

oh holy shit filia double is the cutest thing

jotting this down for future use

double point/filia assist corner combo
c.lk > s.mk x2 > fugazi (updo)
[h] bomber into monster
[h] luger
s.mk x2 > s.hk
j.mp > j.hk > j.mk > j.hk > barrel
c.lk > s.mk x2 > c.hp > [h] bomber > super

filia/double is cool
let me tell you cool thing

one of the things I like a lot about this team (besides bomber helping filia out immensely) is how easy it is to switch between characters. Obviously if you have filia point you can safe dhc safely in a lot of situations to get double in. The other way around is slightly trickier though. Puddle-> tag is pretty common but I'm sure you've found already that this can easily be super unsafe because filia's tag goes very far forwards, you have to have your puddle a fair distance in front of you to be able to tag filia in on top of or behind it. You do have another option however, double/filia has a pretty neat tag combo: if you combo into monster, you can tag in filia as soon as monster ends and continue your combo. The best part is if you use filia s.lp after she comes in you can pick up the combo which means as long as you can go into monster you can get a tag combo with filia, no OTG required. (Of course if you don't care about getting a combo fugazi into tag as long as you haven't used OTG is a classic option as well.) This tag combo, in addition to car dhc gregor, means that double has multiple ways of getting filia's game started off of nearly any clean hit. After playing the team both orders however I think that filia/double is a better team order but in case you get snapped or have to dhc to save filia, having ways to get her started again are useful.

it's fucking neat that when you do s.hp as filia in the corner, you can call bomber and it should chain depending on the timing
one of my corner reset combos w/ filia incorporates it, it's pretty handy for resets too

the filia vortex is slowly becoming natural to me; does anyone know any crossunders with filia for heavies?? @Dreamepitaph @Pickles @gllt

bringing val/bella/double back; i really don't have any other resets aside from low pokes, grabs, and like one crossunder. i'm too predictable playing val, so most of my overheads get blocked. what do?

Filia: you do launcher,slight delay j.mk(1) adc j.lp or j lk, j.mk(1).works on everyone sans band.

One universal and easy one stems from her bnb, particularly at s.hp j.hp adc j lk

At that specific part you can reset with same side, crossunder low or crossunder, crossup j.hk, air grab or s.hp is people press buttons.

For val i would suggest studying her backdash forward airdash j.lk+assist its as fast as fortune's iad j.lk iirc. Typically with val if you got lows and grabs down pat then really overheads arent exactly top 1 priority but. Rather a nice thing to have.

In the corner you can do stuff like jlk adc j.hp if you got oki from s.hk x3.

Also in the corner doing j.lp j.lk after j.hp adc j.mp j.hp j.lp j.mp j.hp allows you to crossup j.hp. or fake crossunder or actually crossunder and pick a mixup of your choosing.

Crossing up overhead midscreen is doing stuff like j.mp(3) slight delay adc j.hp to crossup. Fast falling your normals to crossup works too.

what i've learned in the past few days.

• if you maintain a momentum in a match and keep cool if/when they're comboing, it's easier to spot the mix-ups. i've teched more throws in the past fucking three hours than in my entire 1,000+ hours of playing this game lmfao
  • fenster is nice
  • filia/parasoul/double has much more game than i thought they would, and filia's neutral is slowly but surely improving
  • an alternation of instant high and quick low resets as filia is really fucking confusing in the heat of the match
  • must learn tigerknee j.lk as val like duckator the qt; did it on accident during a match, looked cool as fuck and got an easy confirm
  • how do deal with beat extend vals
  • pressure with double is C+, but enough to get me a quick combo in your typical lobby matches
  • bella corner reset c.mk into j.hk is way better/easier to do than i thought it was
  • val is still fun as hell
  • i told fenster my apathy for winning and losing had slowly dissipated over my break from the game, but i'm surprised to find that it's came back in no time at all
  • i feel really fucking comfortable

might sign up for more tournies.

when the ping is only 97 and the game lags to the point that you feel like you're in space
when it's so laggy that trying to jump and j.hp as squigly comes out as a stancel
tumblr_npq7xhKEh11sjpemmo1_250.gif

damnit, this squig/bella/double team got old real fucking fast
anyone got any team suggestions? no beowulf or robo.

scratch robo, playing bella/robo/double
anyone got any robo neutral/reset advice?

@Sparties

Make great use of j.hk for movement.

Beams to check people and monitor how they move.

If they like to armor and leave themselves on the ground then j.hp with l bomber(i assume you are using this) will break armor and possibly give conversion.
Under pressure press s.hp+bomber and you could twart off sloppy offense.

For reset advice she's pretty much got stuff from j.hk like

J.hk land, c.lp, slight delay c.mp.

Or if you do c.lp then you can do s.hk since its an overhead. You can also call assist and be protected cause lmfao i'm nice. For your team its not focused on robo resets.

Normally assist that lift people up in the air like osiris or l shadow or l chair could help robo with resetting but i think your team is more suited for helping patch things like a meterless ground grab conversion and helping out neutral tools converting.