• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Sparties's Training Diary

copter and bomber really do help with ground conversions.
i very seldom have to use the magnet to convert off a ground throw anymore.
thanks for the input!

i've backed off far too much
my gameplay has gone from too aggressive and extremely offensive to passive-aggressive mainly focused on defense
what the hell is going on? why is my gameplay beginning to fluctuate all of a sudden? is it a change for the better?

BETTER KEEP FUCKIN PLAYING TO FINDDD OUT

my lazy bella snapback
s.lp c.hp > repeat
lmfao

Last edited:
friend request of the day on SG: VasPwns
seems nice enough

10:45 PM - Sparties-Chan: is your internet
10:45 PM - Sparties-Chan: okay
10:45 PM - Sparties-Chan: everyone has 100 something ping, you had about 750
10:46 PM - VasPwnz: i think my parents maybe on netflix...

going back to fortune/bella/double.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
picked val/bella/double back up
feel like neutral significantly improved, but my patience is that of a fucking new fukua player.
in order to properly utilize val's abilities, i feel i need to calm down and learn to wait again.

this is going to be a fucking pain.

prepare urself

i feel that val/bella/double is going to wind up being my true main team.
i've never been able to stick with a team, but i've completely exhausted myself trying to learn other characters.
i'm feeling discouraged since my controller has gone kaput; hopefully i should be able to replace it tomorrow.

i've learned some stuff about myself with this team.

~

Valentine

val requires so much patience that it's not even funny, and on the other hand, i'm far too aggressive. i'm working my hardest to turn her into an aggressor instead of a medical pansy because i can't stand this upback dead cross. i will not be that person simply for the fact that it's boring, and a val/val match can be as boring as a peacock/peacock or a fukua/fukua, maybe even a robo/robo. if i can formulate a strong offense that can still be secure enough to keep val in the clear, i feel i could go far with this trio.

the strange thing is the faster my resets are, the easier it is for the opponent to sniff me out. typically, if i remain lacks-a-daisical and instead do a retarded things, i.e.,

j.lp double jump j.mp

it fucking works, and it's retarded because i ain't got time for this hippie shit.

what the hell is even the remedy to this? i have no fucking clue how i'm going to turn val into an aggressor, but i'm sure as hell going to try. i will make this shit work if it puts me into cardiac arrest.

~

Cerebella

this has been my character since day one of this damn game, and maybe three months ago, she was my top character. i knew bella pretty well (not so well as dragonos the nutjob or twerk to whatever the hell he wants to learn), at least well enough to keep my opponent in a retarded throw vortex?
now?
now???NOW>NOW?
my bella has deteriorated.
i neglected circus tits to fool around with nun and nurse tits, and now my bella has been covered in a permanent rust.
she will never be as good as she used to be, i can feel it. i've lost the drive that propelled me to be a good bella player simply for the fact that i don't believe i can gain that sort of skill with her.
i never have been able to, and i never will? why? i don't fucking know???
the only thing that has improved with my bella is my neutral game and my combo game. i don't struggle to pummel into s.hp anymore, don't know how i accomplished that, and i don't struggle to launch into a runstop that crosses under or some shit.
i'm a very aggressive, crude, and impatient player. it seems to me, almost, that my bella's aggression has been slammed into the ground because i tried to force myself to become patient for val.
this was a mistake, and because of this mistake, i'm much more shy with this character than i used to be.
i lose with bella more often. i panic with bella more often.
i will not drop bella, because i tried that and it didn't do shit.
i don't know how to fix this, i'm losing confidence in the way i play her.

onto another reason why my bella has fallen below the bar.

~

Double

double was my second character from day who knows what, some time after bella. i fell in love with double's play, and i remain in love with it today.
as bella grows weak, double grows stronger in every aspect.
i don't panic with double. i manage to pull games out with double. i clutch with double, i run it back with double.
why?
because i was so tired of my double being pushed around in my earlier play.
i couldn't stand my double getting decked in the face by titan knuckle or brass knuckles, and i couldn't stand being forced to sit still with double.
so i learned to give my opponents a reason to block, and i stick to my methods of doing so today.
mashing luger and fugazi in front of the puddle sure is fucking annoying, but it gives them a reason to stay the fuck back.
and unless they're willing to be sucked into that fucking puddle, people usually stay back.
unless they're willing to SSJ and be hit by the invisible boat mobile, people almost ALWAYS stay back.
after watching so many other people play double and watching how others reset, my reset game with her became a thousand times better.
after grinding in a training room for hours, i could successfully barrel loop after j.mp j.hk.
after grinding and picking my own brain to remember what i had seen, i learned to squeeze every fucking drop of damage out of her fucking combos.

and it felt
great!
agonizing, but wonderfully fantastic!

at the moment, double is my strongest character!
that's fucking depressing imo!
and yet it is satisfying at the same time!

--

i'm growing so fucking angry at myself as i type this, it's unhealthy!
i took a hiatus a while back to let myself calm down and when i came back, i had improved.

i do not feel that a second hiatus will remedy any of these problems.
i feel a second hiatus will only slow me down in improving.
i feel a second hiatus will prevent me from becoming the best that i can be and if that happens?

i won't ever stand a chance at tourney.
if i can get the money to go to a tourney.
if i have the balls and the gusto that i used to have to go to a fucking tourney.

all i'll end up doing, 'til i get my new controller, is picking my brain and trying to work out scenarios in which i might improve my team.
i feel very passionate about this game, as it is my first fighting game, and that's why this entire post is a mess of jumbled emotions!
i'm not competitive towards others, i am competitive towards myself because i thoroughly enjoy challenging myself!
i want my future self to smash my past self into the ground, and i want to be able to look back and say, "damn, that was a stupid move, but look at where i am!"
this challenging shit that i do to myself is very stressful!!
but it leaves me feeling full and satisfied at the end as if i've just ate a five-star chef's six-course meal.

do not take this post as me giving up or me losing hope in myself entirely!
i'm making this post in an attempt to fire myself up!

i'm feeling pretty pumped right now.

Reactions: Pickles
slowly improving.
i've found that placing bella on a team with eliza and double, two of the most aggressive characters imo, brings out my more offensive side.
will continue to work with this trio longer to see what its effect will be on bella.

valentine and double remain in prime condition.

bella's much better after a few days of practicing.
sub team is currently squigly / robo-fortune / double with c.hp, s.hp, and bomber as assists.

squigly synergy with robo-fortune and double is strong af
just like an old woman's raw coupon game
i will definitely stick to this team for a while. i want to see what i can do with these three.
i've found that sticking to simple, powerful combos is far better than busting my ass to do fancy shit.
fuck my life lmfao

bella's back in business.
experimenting with filia/bella/double, back in business with parasoul/bella/double.
i feel my napalm execution is in need of practice for consistency, but overall, everything's running like clockwork.
come into my lobbies, i'm a fucking loser.

Reactions: Magma442
Cerebella/Double News
  • i'm experimenting with [h] bomber as an assist. while my s.hk assist call into pummel is not viable due to the assist anymore, i can still use it if i just kanchou instead. it still gives me big damage in the corner and pummel works, so i might just keep it.
  • lol palettes
  • i played with fenster and realized that i have the ability to read and that instead of actually utilizing this ability, i autopilot. i'm not sure as to why i autopilot. i think it's because when i make lobbies, all that happens is i end up pubstomping random new players (even when i match lobbies as "expert" trying to find better match-ups).
  • i played dawnhibiki shortly after, and my bella's aggression is sub-par in comparison to his, so i guess offense needs work?
i want to try a new team because i'm so bored, but i don't know what i want. any suggestions? open to anything that doesn't include painwheel at this point.

i think it's because when i make lobbies, all that happens is i end up pubstomping random new players (even when i match lobbies as "expert" trying to find better match-ups).
You should friend request Customer Service Heropon, I always see him sitting in a 2 player Expert lobby looking for matches. I bet he has the same problem.
i want to try a new team because i'm so bored, but i don't know what i want. any suggestions? open to anything that doesn't include painwheel at this point.
Anything without Painwheel? What about Peacock/Cerebella/Double?

You should friend request Customer Service Heropon, I always see him sitting in a 2 player Expert lobby looking for matches. I bet he has the same problem.
I fight against him every now and then when I pop into his lobby; it's usually an even set from what I remember, but I bet he doesn't know who I am because of my name changes, lmao.

Anything without Painwheel? What about Peacock/Cerebella/Double?
I just suck so hard with Peacock's zoning and can't seem to find what would be a good assist to use with her. Maybe Item Drop or s.hp?

robo/fukua/double, H beam/Hdrill/ bomber. or Beo/squigs/bella H chair/Dnb/ Excellabella

I'm digging the Robo/Fukua/Double idea, but I'm a bit iffy on the Beo/Squigs/Bella. I'm complete trash at comboing with Beo, any tips?

I just suck so hard with Peacock's zoning and can't seem to find what would be a good assist to use with her. Maybe Item Drop or s.hp?
I'm a pretty strong advocate of L Bomb assist. It's the only assist I've found where I don't think "well this is ok but another character has something like this that's better". If you're at neutral and there's nothing super important going on right that second you can sort of just throw it out there. While it's on screen it's not quite free license to play like a moron, but you can get away with mistakes that you normally couldn't since the bomb will interrupt your opponent's combos. It's also real good for controlling space; you can sort of just fish for anti airs and if you're wrong who cares there's a bomb on the ground.

thanks for the advice

i've only been in training for five minutes and i'm having way too much fun already AHHH

On lightweights you want to do c.lk c.mp s.hp L chair toss, Hop dash j.mp, s.hk, wulf shoot

on anyone else its c.lk c.mp c.hp, j.mk, j.hp, s.mk s.hp, L chair toss, Hop dash j.mp s.hk wulf shoot

the main goal of him is to get into grab mode. i stopped playing him because i find him kinda boring otherwise. and the fact that i hate point beo and like mid more

Reactions: Sparties
orders of business, gentlemen.

-- peacock resets? all i got is throws and iad j.lk. i've got her spamming down at least, so yay.

- brought back a team that i used maybe twice: squigly/eliza/double. what's the best assist for eliza that works with squigly, in y'all's opinion? i personally prefer butcher's blade, but it uses more meter than i anticipate. on this note, should i use c.hp for squigly in order to do mix-ups, or should i go for drag-n-bite for a lockdown?

last, but not least,
how do i big band

@MrPeck @Chuck N. Plazma share you Peacock technologyyyyyyyyyy

As for the Eliza assist, Butchers Blade has great technical application, but if you don't like the meter problem, then Horus is probably the safest bet due to it's mixup potential. Personally, I think it's worth playing with Osiris Spiral, but you already have Double and bomber usually works pretty well for a lockdown already. For the squiggly assist, all I can say is that I know Fuzzy snugs uses drag n bite (I'm pretty sure its for some synergy reason with Double).

Also, for BB, go for lots of jLK, cymbals, or A trains, and when they start running or blocking is when you dash Ground/Air grab.

orders of business, gentlemen.

-- peacock resets? all i got is throws and iad j.lk. i've got her spamming down at least, so yay.
s.MK > j.LK (1 hit) j.HK ADC air throw. You can in theory do a left right here with the j.HK projectile instead of the air grab but in my experience no one ever techs this grab so air grab is all I actually do. On mediums you need all 3 hits of j.LK. On heavies it doesn't work.

launch > whatever > c.LK/c.LP c.MK s.HP xx L gun > M gun. The M gun triggers IPS because L and M gun are considered the same move. As long as you push them far enough away it's a burst bait; chaining into s.HP usually pushes them far enough back. If they don't burst then that's fine too because they're knocked away from you and can't ground tech, so you can just throw some stuff at them.

All my other resets use Beat Extend assist so RIP

- brought back a team that i used maybe twice: squigly/eliza/double. what's the best assist for eliza that works with squigly, in y'all's opinion? i personally prefer butcher's blade, but it uses more meter than i anticipate. on this note, should i use c.hp for squigly in order to do mix-ups, or should i go for drag-n-bite for a lockdown?
My opinion is you should use Dive of Horus and learn this combo:

For the Squigly assist, the only advantage I see here for DnB assist is that Double can use it to convert off max range c.HP xx M gun. If that's important to you, use DnB. Otherwise I think c.HP is better.

last, but not least,
how do i big band
I agree with Fenster

I would recommend osiris spiral. For that squigs/eliza/double

Gives you immense chipping capabilities
Actually allows you to charge combo and lets you do the s.mp reset thats usually for the corner.

If you get them on the corner you pretty much bully them with squigs stancels + osiris or double's gun + osiris.
Use c.hp for that team. It makes eliza scary. And double gets cool stuff

@Cadenza that's why i'd been using osiris with bella; haven't really considered it with squigly.

@mcpeanuts @fenster the reason for butcher's blade is because i can chain s.hp > butcher's assist as squigly, and butcher's takes so fucking long that it lets me charge safely. i don't have to back away and charge. i can do stancels w/o a charge, but in laggy matches, it's probably not a good idea.
osiris was a very good option for double from what i remember from a while back.
i used to use horus a lot if i used squigly/eliza, and the mix-ups were incredible, tbh.

i think i'll try osiris again, but i really like that combo, mcpeanuts. who the fuck was humming, lmao.

thanks for the big band advice, fenster.

-

jotting down stupid big band combo i tried in the corner, does decent damage and it's pretty fun.

c.lk c.mk s.hk > [h] brass knuckles > butcher's blade
s.hk > [m] brass knuckles
c.mp x2 s.hk > emergency brake
s.lp x2 c.mk s.hk > emergency brake
c.lk c.mp x2 s.hk > [h] a train

for starters, regarding butcher's blade: IMO fortune and peacock are really the only chars that can afford to use that assist, it uses like almost 1/3 of a bar per call its fucking crazy. Squigly especially, usually thought of a character who makes very good use of meter, wouldn't want to throw away that much on an assist. horus and spiral are both good, horus gives you wild mixups but spiral gives you lockdown. idk how set you are on that exact order but i think a better order would be double/squig/eliza. squig 2nd lets you come in with bar and gives safe dhcs from double, and you still get squig dhcs into eliza for the wild damage. (fuzzy runs this team in this order btw, he uses l bomber/drag n bite/horus)

i think i'll try osiris again, but i really like that combo, mcpeanuts. who the fuck was humming, lmao.
That was Painsley. And Shade was watching someone LP Metal Gear Solid which is what his line at the end was about. But I can't remember why he yelled "suck my motherfuckin dick".

updates

squigly/eliza/double
-- dive of horus is working as a much better assist and actually gives me just about the same kind of pressure as butcher's blade would; very excited about this development!

big band/eliza -- i definitely don't feel confident with band as my point, so i'll take claws's order of double/big band/eliza instead. i'd feel more confident with my secondary main in the lead.

what is the recommended big band assist? i personally dislike beat extend, but if it has more potential than brass knuckles, w/e. i have a double/band synergy combo that utilizes the brass, that's the only reason i use it.

parasoul/cerebella/double -- still working with this team. i like napalm shot as an assist for cerebella and double, but napalm pillar also shows a lot of potential. it's just irritating trying to reset using the shot only to get whacked by a super.

peacock/cerebella/double -- i haven't used this team in ages, the dream is dead.

fortune/bella -- this team is doing okay, but headless tips? how do i maintain pressure with her normals when my head is like miles away?

i'm 9 and i'm bored yay

big band/eliza -- i definitely don't feel confident with band as my point, so i'll take claws's order of double/big band/eliza instead. i'd feel more confident with my secondary main in the lead.

what is the recommended big band assist? i personally dislike beat extend, but if it has more potential than brass knuckles, w/e. i have a double/band synergy combo that utilizes the brass, that's the only reason i use it.
You can use either Beat Extend or Brass, it's personal preference. The drawback of Brass is that you don't get a lot off it on hit midscreen (unless you're Squigly or Peacock) and it stays out forever. If that doesn't bug you then by all means use it. It's definitely the most powerful counter call assist in the game and just having access to it is gonna make your opponent want to never call their assist, which is pretty useful.

peacock/cerebella/double -- i haven't used this team in ages, the dream is dead.
nooooo

what is the recommended big band assist? i personally dislike beat extend

comes down to preference or matchups I guess. Brass is pretty effective against anyone that likes to zone, or anyone that likes to call assist. Its also good for damage. Extend is super nice for whenever you want to be in their face, as l and m have pretty decent suction on block and can let you get crossups with your point as a result, though eliza's stuff might be weird or tough to get that with. Those two are also still beat extend so yoinking people for pressing buttons decently far away will still get you places. You could also be a big weirdo and use h extend for crossups and shit. Maybe avoid that unless you want to do it though.

Brass is also good for alpha counters. People will get hit by alpha counter > e-brake > throw its nice. Also if they block the burst you're plus if you e-brake. L, sometimes M, extends can combo from alpha countering a burst that hits the opponent but the scaling will be a little ridiculous. H brass will also combo from a hit burst in a bunch of situations too for distance and hard knockdown.

That being said they're both pretty good options that you might wanna be able to switch between in the event of matchups and stuff. Realistically though theres nothing stopping you from using a wacky goofball assist for big band like throw. Throw is huge and hella distracting so you can call it in a combo or during a blockstring to obscure the shit out of whatever you're doing.

fortune/bella -- this team is doing okay, but headless tips? how do i maintain pressure with her normals when my head is like miles away?

Don't let the head get miles away. Fortune has a lot of tools for either moving the head or moving your opponent towards the head. You want the head to be in like, one of three places for most of the match. Either its at your feet, at their feet, or directly behind them. The first two let you maintain pressure through decap attack. The last one lets you do sandwich stuff. If you ever just let it sit in front of them, they're going to bonk your head which is a mild annoyance. At that point you'd want to call an assist to counter-bonk them or something. Running in and trying to hit them yourself might be risky unless you use level 3.

Also you can always incorporate assists into your head game. To my knowledge, lnl assist can hit the head and send it forward, but I think you need pretty specific spacing for that. Copter can add a bunch of hits and blocks if you get your head in it, otherwise it'll only hit the head with the last hit on ground level. Even with that, its not particularly useful.

As fortune you don't really have much for hitboxes without hurtboxes so try your best to hit them without getting hit.

nooooo
i'm just kidding, i'll keep trying

band stuff
i use brass to punish assist calls and for damage in my team combos; i think i'll stick with it.

Also you can always incorporate assists into your head game.
i had a really good corner combo that did about 8.7k with fortune and bella that used copter; can't remember it for shit.
thanks for the advice, though!

quick notes

[corner :: 3v3]

eliza/double synergy route: 9.6k
eliza/band synergy route: 9.8k

double/band synergy route: 10.2k
double/eliza synergy route: 10k

band/eliza synergy route: 12.1k
band/double synergy route: 11.6k

Fun fact: beat extend pulls people out of the corner.......on block. Use that with caution and test it out to verify my statement

i'm going to continue to use brass for damage and as a punishment. i can't get it to work but every now and then while testing this out.

Ok just asked gllt about it. You need a bit of space for them to be pulled out of the corner. Space between you and the opponent. Me personally using brass would be my go to since it gives sliding knockdown to assist and with eliza's tools. Trying to chickenblock brass could result in a airgrab attempt. Plus easy pz eliza with brass is cool.

Yeah, I play Brass RN but when I used L or MBeat with Val, I'd blockstring into sHP + Beat so that Beat came out while sHP moved me backwards, giving it space to drag the opponent inward. It was just enough to either get full crossup or sameside crossup with IAD jHP if they felt like respecting me to let it happen.

It also set up IAD jHP crossup spacing perfectly midscreen on block.

I imagine if you did want to do it with Eliza, you'd want to do it on Eliza's sHP as well since it moves her backwards.

anybody have any good corner combos for painwheel w/o assist? i can't really sift through all the stuff on youtube.

anybody have any good corner combos for painwheel w/o assist? i can't really sift through all the stuff on youtube.

I do this but without brass. Might use cLP instead of sLP now. There's a delay after the otg LP into LBuer on lights and that delay timing should work on everyone, so that's the only timing you have to learn.

and how the fuck do you deal with people who rely on beat extend