• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Don't forget about Annie calling her 'Shapeshifter'.

Did Beowulf know Zane during his wrestling career or after his retirement?

Did Beowulf know Zane during his wrestling career or after his retirement?
Zane was probably a real character and was his manager during his wrestling career, and he was either dead or was eliminated by double after his retirement because he challenged the skullgirl.

HURTING AS EMOTIONS
tumblr_nn05wbcHZJ1r8n1s8o1_1280.png

When Beowulf gets hit by Grendel's arm, the hurting jump-scares. How the heck did I not notice this

That was a decent story mode. I feel like after the opening news broadcast and apartment scene, Beowulf's story didn't really start to get good until Annie showed up. I think it was previously stated that Beowulf's story would be more focused on characters not playable in the game which makes sense since Beowulf is himself a side character to the main plot. Hopefully if we ever get the full story we'll see how he really fits into the whole scheme of things.

Annie definitely stole the show though, from the moment she showed up I was more interested in her side of the story. I was really drawn into her character almost immediately and found her dialogue to be really well done. Add one more to the Annie hype camp because this was one hell of a sales pitch for her. All we were missing was her magical girl transformation sequence during the final confrontation.

Zane/Double setting up fights is a neat way to justify Beowulf's rampage across the kingdom. But Beowulf being so dense that he doesn't realize that, aside from Cerebella all of his fights are actually hits was grating. If it's in his character to be the loveable idiot then that's fine, but it made for really boring dialogue sequences where Beowulf is screaming about Wulfamania and people are just looking at him funny before leaving because he wasted their time or can't realize that he's being duped.

Grendel being drugged came out of left field to me. Since I'd been using the poem as a point of reference I never really doubted that his triumph over Grendel in this game was anything but legitimate. When Valentine and Big Band called the fight into question I wasn't sure what was going on with that and assumed that Beowulf wasn't actually the one who won the fight and was just propped up as the hero. It would have been a better reveal if when we see Grendel in the flashback, he had a fatigued look to him, or if there was a panel used to show that something was off. It doesn't have to be in your face though since the news broadcast is a piece of propaganda, so maybe an alternative could have been Beowulf flashing back to that one image each time it's brought up until finally he realizes that something was off. I think the redemption story overall was kind of hammy but it works.

Other than that it was nice to see some of the side characters in the game and I wonder it it's canon that those specific people get captured by Double. I did get to see more Adam and Scythana('s foot) so I'm happy with that. Didn't recognize Taliesin until Cellsai posted still frames in the thread, thought he was George or something until I saw the mask. I also like that Annie and Beowulf make the best tag team pair in the Canopy Kingdom.

That was a decent story mode. I feel like after the opening news broadcast and apartment scene, Beowulf's story didn't really start to get good until Annie showed up. I think it was previously stated that Beowulf's story would be more focused on characters not playable in the game which makes sense since Beowulf is himself a side character to the main plot. Hopefully if we ever get the full story we'll see how he really fits into the whole scheme of things.

Annie definitely stole the show though, from the moment she showed up I was more interested in her side of the story. I was really drawn into her character almost immediately and found her dialogue to be really well done. Add one more to the Annie hype camp because this was one hell of a sales pitch for her. All we were missing was her magical girl transformation sequence during the final confrontation.

Zane/Double setting up fights is a neat way to justify Beowulf's rampage across the kingdom. But Beowulf being so dense that he doesn't realize that, aside from Cerebella all of his fights are actually hits was grating. If it's in his character to be the loveable idiot then that's fine, but it made for really boring dialogue sequences where Beowulf is screaming about Wulfamania and people are just looking at him funny before leaving because he wasted their time or can't realize that he's being duped.

Grendel being drugged came out of left field to me. Since I'd been using the poem as a point of reference I never really doubted that his triumph over Grendel in this game was anything but legitimate. When Valentine and Big Band called the fight into question I wasn't sure what was going on with that and assumed that Beowulf wasn't actually the one who won the fight and was just propped up as the hero. It would have been a better reveal if when we see Grendel in the flashback, he had a fatigued look to him, or if there was a panel used to show that something was off. It doesn't have to be in your face though since the news broadcast is a piece of propaganda, so maybe an alternative could have been Beowulf flashing back to that one image each time it's brought up until finally he realizes that something was off. I think the redemption story overall was kind of hammy but it works.

Other than that it was nice to see some of the side characters in the game and I wonder it it's canon that those specific people get captured by Double. I did get to see more Adam and Scythana('s foot) so I'm happy with that. Didn't recognize Taliesin until Cellsai posted still frames in the thread, thought he was George or something until I saw the mask. I also like that Annie and Beowulf make the best tag team pair in the Canopy Kingdom.

Honestly you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I felt playing the story.

I had to inspect the element and open it in a new tab.

Oh Minette... at least you got screentime. Better than nothing right?

One thing that I have noticed.

A common theme in all story modes so far is: The characters triumph or fail depending of their companionship.

Filia, Squigly... You don't play with them alone. You play as Filia and Samson, you play as Squigly and Leviathan.

All the characters that have some degree of triumph have someone:

-Filia has Samson and Carol
-Squigly has Leviathan
-Peacock and Big Band have Lab 8
-Parasoul has the Egrets
-Ms. Fortune has Minette and Yu-Wan
-Double has the Trinity
-Eliza has Sekhmet, Albus and Horace
-Beowulf has Annie and Grendel
-Annie herself says that she had someone similar to Beowulf. I am curious about that.

These characters whose names don't appear in the selection screen offer power, guidance, knowledge, emotional support...

Now let's see:

-Cerebela chooses to follow Vitale who is cruel and manipulative. She ends up regretting her final story decision.
-Painwheel has Lab Zero. Sarcastic hooray.
-Valentine is alone. She does pretty fucked up stuff in some stories and sacrifices herself in hers.

Take into account that the unused alternate endings for these three are also not happy.

-Fukua. Well... She is not alright.

It is important to have good company.

So will Robo-fortunes partner be brain drain or Fortune?

So will Robo-fortunes partner be brain drain or Fortune?

If she wants at least a shadow of a happy ending she better make a social link with Fortune.

Although, we don't know how her relationship with Brain Drain is. We know nothing about her personality. And Lab Zero is good at throwing magnificent curve balls at us...

It will be a surprise.

This probably should go to the plot speculation.

I really hope Robo fortune story just ends up with brain drain playing with dolls. With his new set one being the Robo fortune figure.

What is Sagans true power because from what I've seen it ranges from cosmic power to growing in size.

I really hope Robo fortune story just ends up with brain drain playing with dolls. With his new set one being the Robo fortune figure.

I would hope not. I like him as a menacing figure.

Although if he plays with his dolls the way Vega/M.Bison/Dictator play with his dolls the horror factor would grow and I would be fine with that.

But Annie

Reactions: Fumako
Really late on this because I had to sleep but
Dislikes
being told what to do, being told what to wear

Dagnabit Lab Zero you and your references.

D-GENERATION X

I'm seeing a lot pessimism and poor opinions about Beowulf's Story Mode. Y'all motherfuckers need to chill, Annie did not steal the stage, Beowulf shared it with her and he is still the hero of his story. I dunno, maybe it's just that certain types of people can't enjoy a story like this, and what I'm saying doesn't matter. But it's sad to see honestly.
Lab Zero worked so hard this time and churned out what I believe is the best story in the entire game, this harsh criticism befuddles and saddens me.

Man, what's all this "it was actually Annie's story in the form of Beowulf's CSS slot" business? WERE YOU GUYS NOT ON BOARD THE AROOOO TRAIN?! Time to re-rail the tracks and give the conductor's hat away from that pintsized prepubescent and back on the head of Beowulf, man of men, myth of myths, legend of legends

* HE, and not Annie, was the one to stop Grendel's mom from causing a lot of damage to the audience of the Beowulf/Grendel fight

* HE, and not Annie, fought and beat Double, giving Annie enough time to get off her as-butt and actually do something about all this Skullgirl nonsense

* <this one is important> HE, and not Annie, BEAT UP THAT THERE SKULLGIRL! OH YEAH! He walked right up to Marie, said "Imma give you the rudest slapping", and then proceeded to deliver on said proclamation to "give her the rudest slapping". In fact, it took two different eldritchly-powerful monsters fighting at once just to finally pin Beowulf down and potentially kill him <potentially being the key word>

* HE, and not Annie, made things up to Grendel after discovering their fight was fixed. In a world like his, there's a great number of people who would've either just left entirely or not cared and ignored it on learning that their greatest claim to fame was a sham. He also ended up getting a chance to fight a perfectly-willing Grendel once and for all

* HE, and not Annie, is playable

So while he IS a massive lunkhead and he DID need saving from Annie <then again, not a whole lot of characters could solo Double and Marie at once and not die in the process to begin with>, you can't deny that this was still the story of a guy who despite becoming famous for the wrong reasons, went to redeem himself in the eyes of his peers and audience, and even saved the day along the way. Annie may have been the one to save Beowulf and the others, but it was still him who paved the way to victory.

You come into MY ring, and insult MY wrassla, you's gon get the chair! I'll fight anyone that still says this wasn't still Beowulf's story 100%

Last edited:
Beowulf kills a man for the crowd regrets it everyone calls him a hero.

Cerebella kills someone for her boss everyone hate her.

Course this is just me being salty but..

Also Zen Doesn't matter if its Beowulf story Annie did save the day.
it was Annies story not the story I wanted but its what I got.

NAH BEOWULFS PRETTY DAMN STUPID BRO.

Beowulf kills a man for the crowd regrets it everyone calls him a hero.

Cerebella kills someone for her boss everyone hate her.
Oh gee, I wonder if one of them killed a beloved character on behalf of a selfish and corrupt man.
I mean, it's not like the other person killed someone to save tens, if not hundreds, of people and lifted the spirits of a nation at war.

A LOT OF GOOD SHIT
THANK YOU, I'M NOT GOOD AT SAYING SHIT THIS ELOQUENTLY.
NAH BEOWULFS PRETTY DAMN STUPID BRO.
Now your just straight up lying here, you know I said Cerebella and that hasn't changed.

Yeah real hero killing a drugged up Gigan who probably wasn't even that bad of a guy. and also killing his elderly mother who went in a fit of rage over her son dying.

Im sorry I see what they want to achieve with Beowulf but I feel like the stumbled horribly telling his story.

....so like
Annie's cool and did stuff
Beowulf is almost exactly how I imagined him being
He truly does "get the job done" when it comes to knowing things
Sagan fighting his Double made Demon Sagans was also rad
Um
This Double is probably my favorite Double in any of the stories
All the power of Eliza arc Double + a healthy dose of hilarity

A great story through and through

Reactions: The Dave
THANK YOU, I'M NOT GOOD AT SAYING SHIT THIS ELOQUENTLY.

Now your just straight up lying here, you know I said Cerebella and that hasn't changed.
I know I changed it a bit but Im stating the irony here because I'm really salty.

I hate being salty but god damn

Im sorry I see what they want to achieve with Beowulf but I feel like the stumbled horribly telling his story.
I'm sorry but I feel like they told his story PERFECTLY.
I mean, the main difference between Beowulf and Cerebella is that Cerebella did it fully aware of what she was doing and of her own volition. Beowulf, on the other hand, didn't even know that Grendel was drugged and I'm pretty sure he had little choice over the whole grendel's mother fiasco.
Now, if he knew before hand about Grendel's drugged state I would understand. But he didn't.
Wait, was Grendel killed in the ring? I thought he died afterwards and his mother was angry about her son losing?

I thought he DID know Grendal was drugged during the match and still fought him that's why I have a problem.

Also like the poem his mother did go on a rampage because her son died in the ring.

Yeah real hero killing a drugged up Gigan who probably wasn't even that bad of a guy. and also killing his elderly mother who went in a fit of rage over her son dying.

Bruh
Didn't he find out he was drugged after the fight, that's not totally fair
Also if he just let momma Gigan run wild she would have killed the crowd

He tried to make amends give him some credit

I thought he DID know Grendal was drugged during the match and still fought him that's why I have a problem.
Yo, notice his confused state when it was mentioned by band and valentine.
He even mentions it himself?

Friendly reminder that Beowulf did all that without magical powers

Val beat Dubs and Skull Face without powers or Living Whatsits

Beo/Val op

Well if Beowulf did not know until later then fuck me.

That being said I still have some problems with the story (Such as Beowulf brushing it off with a "Yeah I feel bad" quote when he fought his imposter). but that along with not feeling like your playing the star of the story were my main problems.

Edit: Also Val wishing Beowulf good luck on his career felt really out of character.

I would imagine the drugs the Medici slipped Grendel were some kind of poison, and couldn't keep up. Considering how they made a point of calling out Beowulf keeping one of his arms, it was probably something that affected his limbs and joints, and possibly also his heart to strain him out from the adrenaline. It's very possible he had a heart attack and died right there from blood loss and shock when Beowulf took his arm.

Well if Beowulf did not know until later then fuck me.

That being said I still have some problems with the story but that along with not feeling like your playing the star of the story were my main problems.

Edit: Also Val wishing Beowulf good luck on his career felt really out of character.
Since when did Val say anything to people outside of her own story and not twinge it with ALL THE SARCASM? She's probably just fucking with him as she does everyone

Also like the poem his mother did go on a rampage because her son died in the ring.
Personal loss is NOT an excuse to kill innocent people.
I still grieve for Her and Grendel, but she had to go down.
Val beat Dubs and Skull Face without powers or Living Whatsits
Val is operating on a SHITLOAD of drugs that increase her speed and perception to superhuman levels.