• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

I'm glad people know Man with a Mission from their other works instead of just their SFV main theme. I agree, it's pretty lackluster considering their previous songs are so much better, especially their most recent one Raise Your Flag. I'm kind of confused on what happened in between making those two.

Urien being bad is impossible.
Considering he can't really play in this game like he did in SFIII I wouldn't be surprised if they managed it. That said, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what we do get.

Reactions: d3v
New trailer with a teaser of Alex towards the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chip Blaster
If it makes anyone feel better I think all their songs are awful

Reactions: Ruin
So for those of you who did participate in the last two betas, is Laura as Shermie/Blue Mary as she looks?

Considering he can't really play in this game like he did in SFIII I wouldn't be surprised if they managed it. That said, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what we do get.

You mean he can't play strong footsies with all the good buttons he has with weak mixup but a punish game that blows you up for making mistakes? In a game that doesn't have parry so he's going to have like 4 different clean anti airs?

He'll be fine xD character is buhlessed

I think you might be expecting too much. Most characters have been dramatically changed from their previous iterations.

He might end up exactly like you said. He might get the Nash or Ken treatment. Who knows?!?

For my money, I hope he sucks. I thrive off of schadenfreude and the collective internet bitching would sustain me for months.

I'm not expecting much at all, i'm just expecting the handful of normals that are good in every other game he is in to remain good. Plus without parries a lot of stuff opens up for him and his normals.

People expecting Aegis shit are the ones expecting too much, i'm just talking bout his buuuutttooons.

Can't wait to blow up people who think Ken is unplayable because he isn't plus on everything.

You mean he can't play strong footsies with all the good buttons he has with weak mixup but a punish game that blows you up for making mistakes? In a game that doesn't have parry so he's going to have like 4 different clean anti airs?
No, I understand that, and I agree with you there is no reason for him not to have good buttons, just saying I'm not calling that a fact as of yet and that his specials will be completely different or at the very least be used differently.

I'm glad Urien is coming back, I want him to be good, I just expect him to be pretty different since in terms of system mechanics this is not SFIII and he used a lot of what SFIII gave him. I'm not arguing "hurr durr no unblockables so he sucks now", he had a lot more going for him than that.

Look at Birdie, look at Nash, even Mika, these aren't the characters they used to be and there is no reason to think Urien won't see this as well, that's all I'm saying. And no, I'm not implying that it is a bad thing.

Yes she has boobs like Shermie thank you
I hadn't noticed, perhaps they should make a costume for her that exemplifies that.

Reactions: No longer exist
I'm not expecting much at all, i'm just expecting the handful of normals that are good in every other game he is in to remain good. Plus without parries a lot of stuff opens up for him and his normals.

People expecting Aegis shit are the ones expecting too much, i'm just talking bout his buuuutttooons.
I wouldn't expect his normals to be good in this game just because they were good in another game.

I mean just look at what happened to Ryu's c.MK

I wouldn't expect his normals to be good in this game just because they were good in another game.

I mean just look at what happened to Ryu's c.MK

Thats a bad example that buttons mad good in the realm of SF5 :o

Thats a bad example that buttons mad good in the realm of SF5 :o
It's also not anywhere near as good as it was in previous games.

Can't wait to blow up people who think Ken is unplayable because he isn't plus on everything.

We'll see. I saw the 'this is how you play Ken" video too, and I don't necessarily think he's going to be bad. But players much better than you and me are calling him "worst in the game" in some cases. It could be a matter of figuring him out. It could be a matter of him sucking. Only time will tell.

That said, I'm curious what is going to keep Ken at his sweet spot (Dhalsim range). Dhalsim has a teleport for a reason. Once Ken gets rushed down, I'm curious what people are going to do to get out (spoiler alert: probably mash DP).

We'll see. I saw the 'this is how you play Ken" video too, and I don't necessarily think he's going to be bad. But players much better than you and me are calling him "worst in the game" in some cases. It could be a matter of figuring him out. It could be a matter of him sucking. Only time will tell.

That said, I'm curious what is going to keep Ken at his sweet spot (Dhalsim range). Dhalsim has a teleport for a reason. Once Ken gets rushed down, I'm curious what people are going to do to get out (spoiler alert: probably mash DP).
Good players also didn't touch Chun Li until recently and she's been damn near busted since the build my friend and I played at CEO.

The first thing all three of my friends said individually of each other when they were done was "Chun li is too good".

Playing vs. Chun Li she has everything, broken? No. Is there a power gap between her and the rest of the cast, assuredly.

I have played Ken and he's not bad, different, weaker than his USF4 inception, sure. Bad, no.

And thank you for reminding me that I should watch that video, never got around to it.

Last edited:
BTW,if this game history pass before USF4, maybe Juri will not have her "magic eye"... Maybe she will be like Kim of KOF?

Juri will not be like Kim.
Unless we get a scene of Juri's clothes exploding off to reveal a gi, with the only reason being "evil must be punished" then she is not Kim.

I always considered Juri a more sexier version of Hwoarang with projectiles anyway.

Good players also didn't touch Chun Li until recently and she's been damn near busted since the build my friend and I played at CEO.

The first thing all three of my friends said individually of each other when they were done was "Chun li is too good".

Playing vs. Chun Li she has everything, broken? No. Is there a power gap between her and the rest of the cast, assuredly.

I have played Ken and he's not bad, different, weaker than his USF4 inception, sure. Bad, no.

And thank you for reminding me that I should watch that video, never got around to it.

That's been explained. Chun didn't get better. Ryu and the other God tiers got way, way worse. Ryu was chunking out almost 70% of life at one point. As damage goes down, footsie goes up, and Chun began to shine. Viscant (the guy who to my knowledge first publicly claimed that Ken is a distance fighter here) touches on it in that link. It's worth a read either way.

Anyway, the tl;dr is that I don't necessarily disagree with you. That said, when pros are borderline unanimous in where he ranks, I definitely pay attention. I'm hoping he turns out well. He was my SFIV main (though now I'm leaning toward Rashid or Necalli).

BTW,if this game history pass before USF4, maybe Juri will not have her "magic eye"... Maybe she will be like Kim of KOF?

It's been confirmed story mode bridges the gap between 4 and 3, meaning it's after 4.

She'll have the Feng Shui Engine for sure (because it is probably the most obvious V Trigger ever) and she might even have some Tandem Engine stuff if her SF4 Arcade Ending is canon.

That's been explained. Chun didn't get better. Ryu and the other God tiers got way, way worse. Ryu was chunking out almost 70% of life at one point. As damage goes down, footsie goes up, and Chun began to shine. Viscant (the guy who to my knowledge first publicly claimed that Ken is a distance fighter here) touches on it in that link. It's worth a read either way.

Anyway, the tl;dr is that I don't necessarily disagree with you. That said, when pros are borderline unanimous in where he ranks, I definitely pay attention. I'm hoping he turns out well. He was my SFIV main (though now I'm leaning toward Rashid or Necalli).
I also remember that time Iceman was amazing and Hugo was bad and Squigly is bad and Jin was god-tier and K groove wasn't as good as A groove etc. etc.

If people were playing Chun Li and getting hit, that is their fault. There is almost no neutral situation in that game where Chun Li is lacking.

What, did they have a problem anti airing? Catching whiffed normals?

Reactions: alexpi
I also remember that time Iceman was amazing and Hugo was bad and Squigly is bad and Jin was god-tier and K groove wasn't as good as A groove etc. etc.
I LOVE it when people are convinced every new game is unbalanced/this will finally be the good one/this character is stupid/grapplers are good. It's almost like nobody learns from the arc any other game takes. :^)

I LOVE it when people are convinced every new game is unbalanced/this will finally be the good one/this character is stupid/grapplers are good. It's almost like nobody learns from the arc any other game takes. :^)
My B if I interpret this wrong, been a little tired but in no way am I insulating that this game is imbalanced.

I don't think anyone is broken at the current moment nor do I think anyone is awful, I haven't seen a 7-3 in the game so far and i think that's the point capcom is trying to approach with giving everyone at least I've played so far a tool for pretty much every situation.

I think time and tech will tell.

Are there ways to beat Chun li, sure. Should you probably try a prolonged stand up game with her, I really don't suggest it.

We need a ban on new korean fighters until they discover a different martial art from kickboxing.
Kickboxing=/= tae kwon do

So far every character has a unique skill that neutralizes every other unique skill, the pros and cons seem to come from how frequently that character can rely on that skill.

From V Skills that hop over fire balls to neutralizing zoning to V triggers that allow you to close in the distance to 3 bar V reversals most characters have most tools.

Both Ken and Nash can get out the same situation, the question is how expensive is the cost?

Both characters can convert decent on a starting lk, the question is how expensive the cost?

I implore everyone to look at this way first before thinking anyone is bad.

What does Ken actually lack?

I also implore people to reserve judgement until they have played the characters for themselves.

What does Ken actually lack?

He's seen as lacking meaningful footsies in a footsie heavy game. His normals are either minus or stubby and often both. If he is able to make that up with his godlike dash speed and long range punishes is what remains to be seen. The new and mostly untested thought is that Ken will be a long range punish character. He will play defensively until he can go in for a punish. Like I said, I don't think he's going to be low tier. I just think the verdict is far from in.

For example, what's to keep Ken at his sweet spot range? A character can mostly just walk up to him. He doesn't have the typical zoner teleport or fireball game to keep people at range and he can only ex-tatsu so many times before he can no longer on-reaction punish a jumped fireball. That's not to say that he doesn't have the tools to keep people out, and I'm a shorted sighted as anybody, but I'm just less certain and more in 'wait and see' mode with him. If he's viable at long range, that's great. At the very least, it sounds really fun.

Speaking of Ken, here's Momochi putting in work with him.

Last edited:
Stubby normals? Like his great crouching strong and amazing standing roundhouse?

Maybe his good sweep?

I don't think Ken is going to play that way. I mean, maybe people will play him that way, but I feel the purpose of Ken was controlled aggression.

With a v skill that closes distance well and a v trigger that allows punishes of things no one else will get he's probably going to end up playing mid range footsies until he's able to assert himself with his high damage combos and good throw range.

It's the reason why run isn't as smooth as step kick but you can alter the timing, it's the reason why stand roundhouse is hard to punish from everywhere thats not in your face AND it's his crush counter, it's the reason why run kick causes knockdown and not counter hit, it's the reason why he can do cr.lk cr.lp shoryu, it's the reason he has a overhead that he can fake, he's going to be a character that dares other characters, kind of the same he's always been, but he's going to do it differently.

I don't think anyone is broken at the current moment nor do I think anyone is awful, I haven't seen a 7-3 in the game so far
Yeah, you misinterpreted. My point was that this opinion is just as invalid as any other early opinion, nearly completely unrelated to what the game will look like when it's explored. Praising OR deriding Capcom at this point are both unfounded.

Heck, when people are bad at GG, Pot beats Eddie pretty handily. Execution-heavy characters tend to dominate because developers don't think about what can really be done when people are super good with them, and because the possible things one can do aren't all found during development.

@Mike_Z

So you're saying grapplers are going to be strong in this version?

Serious note: are you going to play this one?

Serious note: are you going to play this one?
Nah. Short version - didn't like how it felt at all. I haven't enjoyed "classic" Street Fighter gameplay once games existed that didn't have it. Part of the reason I loved 3s is that it was not that. Personal preference.
Long version - I wrote up a list of design flaws that I will not be posting because I don't want to get reamed again.

Yeah, you misinterpreted. My point was that this opinion is just as invalid as any other early opinion, nearly completely unrelated to what the game will look like when it's explored. Praising OR deriding Capcom at this point are both unfounded.

Heck, when people are bad at GG, Pot beats Eddie pretty handily. Execution-heavy characters tend to dominate because developers don't think about what can really be done when people are super good with them, and because the possible things one can do aren't all found during development.
How so?

If at this current moment, there is nothing about the characters really out, unless one character has overwhelmingly powerful tools can any of them be amazing or awful?

Don't matchups change over time and tech? Neither of which has been invested heavily into this game yet?

"Maybe Karin will progress into a hot mess, but as of now, she's fine".