• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Unrelated to SF5, but does this work against Eliza waking up with any version of her DP? Frequently, as Eliza, I hit out BB's on my wakeup when I try M or H DP (BB is big enough where just waking up with those hits him clean) where LP misses, and on the reverse when I play BB I've most certainly been hit out by Eliza's doing those DPs when I go for jump ins in the corner. Though usually I find BB jLK works like you said here.
I'm not sure. I think I only tested L Upper Khat. I'll look into it and get back to you.

@Mike_Z
So can you prevent safejump OSes by tweaking input readings during landing frames or, in a case of throw tech OSes, during tech window frames? To me it sounds like you can delete OSes pretty easily if you tell game engine to ignore specific button presses during specific frame periods, but I'm surely not an expert on this topic though.
Sooo, I will add an example to the previous question:
V-Reversal/Throw OS. Can you tell the game engine to ignore LPLKMKHK/LPLKMPHP inputs during tech window and thus completely eliminate this OS? Is is hard to do programming-wise?

Sooo, I will add an example to the previous question:
V-Reversal/Throw OS. Can you tell the game engine to ignore LPLKMKHK/LPLKMPHP inputs during tech window and thus completely eliminate this OS? Is is hard to do programming-wise?
A programmer can tell the engine to ignore anything you want whatever conditions you want.
In this case, it's super easy to do exactly that, no throw tech if PP+LK or KK+LP. Skullgirls already does it*, to prevent assist+throw tech macro OSes! :^)
(SG also makes PP+LK / KK+LP if done at neutral not call assists, only do the throw input. So if you try that OS you get the worst outcome in either case.)

In the case of SF5, if you wanted to be stricter about it, you could even do no throw tech if KK~P or PP~K to prevent plinking the inputs.

* It bothers me how often I am able to say "Skullgirls already does this" in response to questions about other games. :^P

Might be talking out of my butt here, but I think Zeipher actually FIXED a lot of OSes in his SF4 remix mod by doing something like that.

Anyway, as far as my actual opinions on the game go:

As a Street Fighter player, I like this game. I like it a lot, actually! It rewards what I think SF should reward and I like the way oki works. I think the V Trigger system is cool (I also think KI's instinct mode is better though). I think it fixed a lot of SF4's problems. There's still stuff wrong with it but it's DIMPS so if the game actually rewards what I want to reward that's a huge win. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect, I don't think anyone that plays games Capcom makes post 2009 was either.

Basically if SF5 was under "Capcom UN fun negotiations for post 2009 fighting game" I got everything I wanted except "fast walk speed". That's good enough.

As a tournament organizer, I hate this game. The UI is a clusterfuck, it lacks basic tournament standard features, and it has bad legacy controller support.

As someone that expects basic, common sense features in fighting games, I don't like this game. It's kind of a joke that there's slowdown in a lot of stages (we can't switch to another console to fix that issue, 10 more years of training mode!) no tap to select buttons on character select screen, you have to set tap to pause GLOBALLY so when I play training mode it just annoys me, rather than implementing it like that one other game that did it right. You know the one.

I think people complaining is justified as long as it's about the right stuff. The issues I mentioned are HUGE problems. For people complaining that there are "not enough modes" or "why less character than 4?", I think most of those complaints are pretty silly to anyone that plays fighting games seriously. Story mode missing at launch is kind of a joke though.

I guess at the end of the day I still like Capcom and their games, but I continue to have to lower the bar for expectations of their products in terms of features, and even then they don't meet them. If all those things I mentioned weren't issues, I would praise this game a lot and have nothing but good things to say. But since they are issues, even though I do like the gameplay, the game is leaving a sour taste in my mouth right now.

The game launched like this because we all bought it anyway (or didn't, apparently, looking at those sales numbers).

Last edited:
Last edited:
The UI is a clusterfuck, it lacks basic tournament standard features, and it has bad legacy controller support.
I agree with you there. I don't want to say that we're spoiled from SkullGirl's UI because really SkullGirls should be used nowadays as a standard for fighting games, but really i was expecting more.

The issue that pisses me off the most?

Training mode options don't carry over. They should save even after exiting the client, but if they only saved between navigating modes, I'd still be a happy camper.

First world problem for sure, but every time I have to set stun to off, block to after first, info on, and inputs on... I die a tiny bit inside.

Why is it that the game won't let me see the FPS even when I try 2 different programs?
I just wanna know how bad the game wants to shit itself on medium graphics when I have a decent graphics card. For the longest time I thought everyone had shit internet. Then when I try survival mode it shits frames randomly. And there's no way to benchmark it in-game like in sf4.

And why the hell isn't attack data=on the default in training mode? Why doesn't it remember any of my previous settings?

I don't get it. They add in all these "features" (in character select button mapping, save states, etc) in USF4 but don't keep them in 5.

picked up the game for cheap today even though i know it wont run for shit on my computer

but hey for whenever i am able to play it at later wil lbe nice, but low settings training mode will be lit

Man we need to start discussing matchups.

Or should there be another thread for that?

Man we need to start discussing matchups.

Or should there be another thread for that?

Well I'll get us started.

For Cammy -

Good matchups - Dhalsim, FANG, Vega, Mika

Bad Matchups - Zangief, Birdie, Nash

Even - Everyone Else

Yeeeep. Thats some quality netcode right there.

Yeeeep. Thats some quality netcode right there.
To be pendantic, that comes from not allowing players to set their own input delay, rather than the networking itself. Rollbacks will behave that way at high pings, but the player should not be FORCED to put up with it if they don't want to. Even a 2f delay set by one player (or 1f by both) would help that situation a ton.

Reactions: dead
Basically if SF5 was under "Capcom UN fun negotiations for post 2009 fighting game" I got everything I wanted except "fast walk speed".

That's a big one though, for me. It's pretty much one of the biggest reasons why I enjoy Super Turbo over almost every other brand of SF.

To be pendantic, that comes from not allowing players to set their own input delay, rather than the networking itself. Rollbacks will behave that way at high pings, but the player should not be FORCED to put up with it if they don't want to. Even a 2f delay set by one player (or 1f by both) would help that situation a ton.

Yeah that situation doesn't bother me. I never set delay in SG so issues like that pop-up there too.

That said, can you speak to frequent teleporting in SFV? Its netcode just doesn't feel polished. It has been speculated that it affects better connections more than worse connections, but I don't really know what's what... all I know is that I'm incredibly unimpressed with SFVs netcode.

the teleporting seems to be from SFV dumping all of the lag onto one end of the match. most likely the one who has the better ping. and with that players can reset that in-game by tabbing out in steam and going back to the game as it's still running. it's really dumb. so yeah outside of both players playing on the same system and they both have good pings the netcode just doesn't really like to hold a connection.

That said, can you speak to frequent teleporting in SFV? Its netcode just doesn't feel polished. It has been speculated that it affects better connections more than worse connections, but I don't really know what's what... all I know is that I'm incredibly unimpressed with SFVs netcode.
Ninja's actually right. It's because SFV doesn't handle time syncing correctly, so if there is enough delay in your connection to give noticeable lag, chances are that the lag will end up all happening to the player whose computer runs the game better.
I posted a longer explanation on EH a while ago (Why did I post on EH? I really don't know.)
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...kken-pc-still-exist-street-fighter-5/#c930212
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...kken-pc-still-exist-street-fighter-5/#c930289
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...-still-exist-street-fighter-5/?page=2#c930573

Is this a tractable problem? Which might be an unanswerable question since you don't know their code...

I mean it is looking to be a deal breaker for me. I lost 1k points last night in a string of the most teleport-y matches I've ever had. Booted up CPE and quite honestly preferred the delay based since I'm not likely to ever play BB offline.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
Is this a tractable problem? Which might be an unanswerable question since you don't know their code...
Well, I mean...GGPO solved it. :^) So the problem is solvable.
It requires doing some extra fancy things to sync the games, rather than just relying on frame numbers received, but it's completely doable.

Whether they WILL fix it is completely different from whether it is fixable.

Reactions: Spencer
Sometimes I think you should do more consulting for fighting game devs...

Even the button config thing is missed in some titles. Now the netcode doing weird stuff in a FG is depressing

Bruh you gotta want to get help before you can get help. Capcom's still strung out, you can't help somebody like that, they don't want it. They're taking money from your purse and shit :/

MS/Double Helix for Killer Instinct is the ONLY fighting game developer that has EVER asked me for any help. [edit] That's not quite the case, the porting team for PS3/360 MvC2 also had Magnetro and I analyze the port for bugs. But that's it.
I'm not avoiding helping companies on purpose, but nobody cares enough about the players to worry about that stuff. Sorry, but it's true.

MS/Double Helix for Killer Instinct is the ONLY fighting game developer that has EVER asked me for any help. [edit] That's not quite the case, the porting team for PS3/360 MvC2 also had Magnetro and I analyze the port for bugs. But that's it.
I'm not avoiding helping companies on purpose, but nobody cares enough about the players to worry about that stuff. Sorry, but it's true.

How much of the advice did they take on KI? And also, would you say KI is the best current gen fighting game on the market or do you believe otherwise?

How much of the advice did they take on KI? And also, would you say KI is the best current gen fighting game on the market or do you believe otherwise?
IIRC Mike complained before that KI reminds he of sf4 more than it should.

So the Third Strike character gets a Focus Attack. Really?

yeah and what the hell is with that street fighter 1 character getting a parry
smh capcom

Yeah, I keep seeing people trying to call it that but unless you can dash out of charging it and do it for free I call shenanigans on that nomenclature. :V

Last edited:
Throw Escape Change
  • If you push buttons during the normal throw delayed tech window you are unable to escape throws for 2 frames.
    • Prevents using light attacks to option select with throw escapes.
Well at least they're fixing some of the stuff people have found.

Hopefully they're aware of the netcode issue and are working on a fix. If they'd fix this and the controller support problems I'd actually be able to play the game properly. I wish they'd at least acknowledge that the problems exist.

If you execute specific special moves during the normal throw delayed tech window you are unable to immediately escape throws. Each characters V-skills, V-triggers, V-reversals, critical arts, and moves have been set individually.
What do they mean by "unable to immediately escape throws"? "Immediately" is a confusing part here for me. Does it render all tech frames as useless or what?

Well at least they're fixing some of the stuff people have found.

Hopefully they're aware of the netcode issue and are working on a fix. If they'd fix this and the controller support problems I'd actually be able to play the game properly. I wish they'd at least acknowledge that the problems exist.
PR Balrog said there that you can wait 2-3 frames before executing the throw. So maybe 2 frames isn't enough.

These changes reduce the effectiveness of throw tech option selects involving jumping (also known as “jump grab”). Changing forward jump frames would affect the game balance too much so those remain unchanged.
Also can someone provide the examples for these "jump grab" OS? Never saw any.

Last edited: