• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Oh so you mean when they choose to spend extra meter? which this whole time I've said is fine....
When the "HP linked after hitconfirmed LPs" is going to kill, I think it's not OK. The original route they chose to take (e.g. the hitconfirmed LPs or whatever) wasn't good enough to kill me, but due to the mechanics of the game and their characters options, they are awarded the 'W' anyway via inescapable HP, and I don't like that. You don't have to answer this because honestly I don't feel like discussing it anymore, but WHY IS IT OKAY?

how the hell is that even close to what I'm saying? You got opened up, learn to block.

I'm done, I think "no chip kills without EX or Super" is good, deal with it.

In both cases, you got hit one time and then the damage that killed was guaranteed from the one hit.

There's no difference between guaranteed chip setups and combos. They are both "further guaranteed damage after a single hit". There is no reason for one to be treated any differently than the other.

Reactions: Dime
fair enough, but it still doesn't justify "no chip kills without EX or Super" as a mechanic being bad.

It makes "no meterless chip kills" a bad mechanic because it weakens certain character archetypes for absolutely no valid reason.

then give the individual characters within those archetypes tools to deal with the situations set forth by no meterless chip kills being a mechanic

High/Low projectile mixup has been basically awful and un-fun in every game it's ever appeared in, and if you want to just give zoners the tools to go in, then you're asking for every character in the cast to play in the same way.

that's a pretty black and white way of looking at things, but if you're so unimaginative as to not be able to think of more unique tools that could serve a zoner more ability to deal with the situation, then that's on you, not me

It makes "no meterless chip kills" a bad mechanic because it weakens certain character archetypes for absolutely no valid reason.

You've yet to provide any actual evidence for this. I feel like you're approaching this with your gut.

There is some evidence to the contrary though.

P4AU has zoners which are alive and well... no chip death.

UNIEL is dominated by zoners... no chip death.

I think it is on a game by game basis and not necessarily "instabad" by default. Is it right for SFV? Who knows, but let's play it out, yes?

Anyway, I'm done with this argument. It's fucking exhausting.

P4AU has zoners which are alive and well... no chip death.
Zoners in ASW games generally use their proectiles to cover their approach, not to do Street Fighter style zoning; the exceptions usually have the always-dreaded "projectile high/low mixup" that, frankly, sucks.

UNIEL is dominated by zoners... no chip death.
UNIEL is a game with block infinites and timer-scam infinites. Taking design lessons from kusoge isn't generally a good idea.

Who knows, but let's play it out, yes?
Given Capcom's recent history (SF4, Marvel 3, TvC, and SFxT are all complete garbage) and how SFV is shaping up, I'd rather not.

UNIEL is a game with block infinites and timer-scam infinites. Taking design lessons from kusoge isn't generally a good idea.

Completely ignorant statement from someone who is not even remotely familiar with UNIEL in competitive play.

You probably don't even know the shield mechanic exists.

The one and only timer-scam wald infinite was patched out ages ago, even when it was around it got banned really quickly.

Last edited:
so guys how about that Rainbow Mika
The fact that Birdie, of all characters, got in makes it very possible for R. Mika to come back. But that'll be 3 Alpha characters already out of a possible 16. We still need some new characters and SFIII characters returning (and probably SFI as well). Maybe she'll be in an update?

Ono has gone on too long denying Mika any time
he's on thin ice right now
With this game being Shin Alpha, it needs to come to pass

I think SF5 is shaping up to be to street fighter Alpha what SF4 was to street fighter 2. But i'm hoping for some sf 3 characters in, and some sf4 characters also.

But what is strange, that we have 4 announced characters, and not a single completely new yet.

We have 6 characters, not 4 (Ryu/Bison/Nash/Chun/Cammy/Birdie), and Birdie is kinda halfway to being a new character. I'd expect to see a completely new one pretty soon, though.

Sorry, i was with 4 in my mind because ryu and chun were from the first trailer, so i mentally forgot them as "announced characters"

leak mebe?

This was posted on the Shoryuken board, but it was quickly deleted.

From a user named RagingStormX:

Someone with "good" sources posted this then deleted it promptly. He is a good player and pretty credible, but this is a rumor mill none the less until we see hard evidence. Can't say who it is for reasons. I'm assuming who he knows has an NDA agreement. Talking to him now. He also mentioned possibly more. We will see how true this is once more are revealed. His post:

"This will be deleted in 15 minutes.

SFV characters:

-Ryu *
-Chun-Li *
-M. Bison *
-Nash *
-Birdie *
-Cammy *
-R. Mika
-Zangief
-Dhalsim
-Juri
-Karin
-Ken
-Urien
-Alex
-Laura
-Rashid
-Zen
-New Boss "

Keep in mind that Ono confirmed that each stage in SFV will be dedicated to two characters. So, this leaked character list is starting to look real.

Let's do the math:
London Stage = Birdie and Cammy
India Stage = Dhalsim and Zen
Wrestling Stage = Zangief and R. Mika
United States Stage = Ken and Alex

Not sure about the others. Do Chun-Li and Ryu share that first stage (Chinatown) they showed when they revealed the game? I figure they might.
Also, it does fit the hypothesis that the roster would be either 16, 18, or 24 characters. His leak is 18.

What is the chance of that being real?

I'm reserving judgement on that until some more characters are revealed.

Seems fake because:
- 18 characters (too many considering their apparent plan to go with a different update schedule to before)
- Mika (wanting to get fanboys talking)
- Karin (wanting to get fanboys talking)

Only non-obvious redeeming feature I can see in that is the inclusion of Juri, who I could easily see Capcom wanting to have another go at seeing how she was really popular as a character but at the same time very much underplayed due to her design.

the likelyhood of Rainbow Mika coming back into a Street Fighter game is a 52% chance. The likelyhood of her being redesigned in some fashion is a 79% chance. These numbers were caculated due to the new development of Street Fighter 5 and the return of both Cammy and Birdie and their respected design/redesigns.

Having no Akuma would seem weird. Also Capcom can't use Karin because they don't own the rights to her(something like that).

EDIT: It wouldn't be impossible for Karin, but it just makes her chances extremely slim.

Last edited:
Q only has a 23% chance of making into the roster for Street Fighter 5. Despite these low odds it is still quite possible for Q to make it in for Birdie only had a 19% chance. And since Q has a very simple design it would be very impractical for the development team to do any major redesigns on Q. Hypothesis: If Q were to make it into the roster his probable redesign would most likely involve his metallic face plate. Most likely involving rust or damage in some form to signify the passage of time and blurring the lines of whether or not Q is a man or machine, or a combination of both.

Second Hypothesis: Q's V-Trigger would be him adjusting his mask and brushing off his trench-coat. Activating Q's V-Trigger will give him a limited time giving Q's rush punches a hit of armor allowing him to go through an opponent's attack with little fear of losing out on the attack.

Q's V-Skill will be his original taunt animation, however it will not give him his buff of reduced damage on hit. It will instead have a small shock wave that can hit opponents or nullify projectiles Nullifying a projectile will give 15% V-Gauge to Q; hitting an opponent with this V-Skill will give 8-10% V-Gauge to Q. Hitting the opponent with the V-Skill will only do one hit and will have very low hitstun. It's hitbox would be very small so the likely hood of Q hitting the opponent with his V-Skill is fairly low for the opponent would have to be right next to Q for the move to reach.

Other changes that might happen: Ex Rush Punch, Ex Rush Sweep, Ex Rush Overhead.

• Ex Rush Punch: Q will do two punches in quick succession before the opponent is sent to the wall to have a wallbounce happen.
  • Ex Rush Sweep: Q will do his sweeping animation but will sent the opponent up in a spinning juggle state while Q slides to the opposite side of the opponent.
  • Ex Rush Overhead: Q will do a massive windup on his overhead punch before slamming down ontop of the opponent's head. This impact will do massive damage and will make the opponent ground bounce upwards giving Q little time to recover and combo off of.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dave and Jutsei
I'm just here like

why did chun get that neat aerial spin kick thing removed from the original trailer

I don't even plan on using her either

qq

As fighting games have become more "e-sports", developers have started viewing spectator value as an important design factor, to the point where they're modifying character and system designs to be more "spectator friendly" (see : http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/15/top...oning-to-mortal-kombat-x-emerging-strategies/)

Look at the comments of any Street Fighter video on Youtube that has Choi or Daigo playing a fireballer, and you'll see endless complaining about "this guy is a n00b, all he does is spam!". Go around the casual gaming sites after any Evo, and you'll see tons of "waaaah waaaah all these "top" players are doing is throwing Hadoukens!" complaints.

Look at some Marvel 3 match vids and see the kinds of comments Chris G gets vs. the kinds of comments Marlinpie gets. Casuals get hyped for big combos (which are just boring, uninteractive routines in reality), but not for intense interaction with the opponent.

Look at how the most famous moment in competitive Street Fighter history is a moment in a game that is disliked by a lot of "old-school" Street Fighter players that showcases a mechanic that most of those players absolutely hated. And now realize that the mechanic was given to Ryu in SFV. And that Chun-Li has the same super that caused Evo moment #37 to happen. And that Capcom took pains at the reveal to point out that, yes, Ryu could full-parry that super.

Street Fighter V is being developed for spectators before players.

Don't like this trend? Save your $60, there is a better alternative.
Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, but I think the issue is blown out of proportion. A balance can be made without screwing over more serious players. Look at mkx.

I think MKX did a really good job at making matches attractive to watch/play for casuals and good to play for competitive players. Take X-Rays for example. They do around 30-33% for all of a players meter and because they look like they really hurt, casuals feel like they've done a lot, like they have a chance. But a good player can do a greater amount of damage with one bar of meter. PLus they still have the option to close out a match with an x-ray should the opportunity arise. And moves are just flashy in general.

That said, every top player seems to like it so it seems a bit premature to say "spectators before players". Even more critical people like Max still enjoyed their time with the game. And even if it was true that the game puts spectators first, the players seem satisfied so that's all that really matters imo. It would be like smash in the sense that it may focus on casuals, but there's more than enough there to satisfy competitive players.

I just don't know yet. But time will tell.

Chris G is actually one of my favorite marvel 3 players because he doesnt rely on piano recitals, though he's perfectly capable of it; I get tired of seeing the same combos.... I love how he forces neutral and it's nice to see proper projectile patterns mixed up with occasional rush down to keep players on their toes. I just love it when both players are actively making decisions.

I also loved SFIII. But iirc, it was less of the mechanics that annoyed people about SFIII and more so because so many iconic characters didnt make it in. Depending on which version was played only 3 or 4 classic characters returned. I suppose it didnt bother me since I went from playing an emulated SF1 to watching SFIII as a kid, so I didnt have this bond with SF2 characters or mechanics.

I also love SG because it rewards neutral play more than long combos. Honestly, I have only two gripes with SG: resets are a little too strong imo and the rules for ips (not the function) bother me. But the good parts outweigh those so it's pretty easy to get over.

Charlie is Q.
Look at those hand slaps!
XD

so guys how about that Rainbow Mika
I'd take R.Mika any time of day and in more ways than one.

My top 5 characters are: Necro, Elena, Hugo, Q, and R.Mika,

Honorable Mentions: Hakan and Remy (don't judge me)

I'm the one that likes combos? o.O i mean, using the same combo again and again is boring to see and to do, but i like a game that encourages variety in the combos. xD

One other minor detail, that i hope they keep that way.

Birdie's command grabs (that are the closest thing we have to the 360's), don't go into a mini cinematic like the sf4 command grabs normaly do, and i love that.

Going by this video:
It seems like Capcom are purposefully bringing back characters no one would expect will be returning, as evidenced by Birdie. R. Mika coming back isn't too much of a stretch, and Ono knows fans want her back (and even he wants her back, too https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/356857062795390976
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/359098942404820993
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/368403092544700416
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/161110644001742850).
Karin would take a lot of extra work to bring back, though, but it's just one character as opposed to, say, most of the cast from the EX series.

If Mika does come back, I'm expecting a redesign for her like with Birdie and Nash. I don't know if her current design will fly with today's society, with her tits and ass just out there.

Juri and Alex being in that list pleases me.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I'm not saying we need most of the cast. Just comparing having to bring one character back through legal means and whatnot as opposed to more than one.
Any EX character coming back at this point would be a miracle.

I don't think it'd be too much of a 'miracle.' It'd require a ton of output from the fans to make it clear everyone wants him back. Like, it'd have to rival the ppl who want R. Mika or Alex back. It's possible, and everyone does seem to love the mighty Skullo.

Personally, I don't really care much for either R. Mika or Alex. Mostly just want some cool new characters. Maybe have Q or Necro back. I'd really love Necro to come back if we're doing the whole illuminati thing :/