• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Then again, SF's never been very good with race portrayal :/

Haha, seriously. Some were pretty solid and then you end up with someone like El Fuerte who literally stopped my hispanic wife in her tracks as she tried to decide whether it was racist or not.

Haha, seriously. Some were pretty solid and then you end up with someone like El Fuerte who literally stopped my hispanic wife in her tracks as she tried to decide whether it was racist or not.
At least fuerte is not a green, dumb, monster....

At least fuerte is not a green, dumb, monster....

I just couldn't help but think of the Carmen J-Lo hand puppet episode.

Fuerte's just a Mexican Luchador who runs around screaming Mexican food names (yes, yes... he's a cook... I get it).

Also, I just found out she's supposed to be Japanese? Doesn't look like it to me. Then again, SF's never been very good with race portrayal :/
Yes her real name is Mika Nanakawa.

If hair color/eye color is what determines if your 'Japanese' [as in a citizen of a nation] or not [especially in fictional JPN videogame/anime media where you got all the colors in the rainbow regardless of nationality] then that theory is thrown out the window over the possibility of one of her parents bloodline not being the pure dark hair dark eye Japanese. There is always blonde hair dye for the 'yankee' look, but R. Mika didn't do that to my knowledge. Contact lenses could have artificially changed the color to a degree, but that isn't confirmed either.

Yes it's a rarity, but not exactly impossible. There are even black people with Japanese roots.

Lore wise she actually knows she looks different to other native Japanese and her training is akin to Karate kid films where her trainer Yoko Harmegeddon helps her out to be a wrestler with unusual methods. I wouldn't be surprised if xenophobia made it difficult for her to find someone to help her out in the early days.

Yes her real name is Mika Nanakawa.

If hair color/eye color is what determines if your 'Japanese' [as in a citizen of a nation] or not [especially in fictional JPN videogame/anime media where you got all the colors in the rainbow regardless of nationality] then that theory is thrown out the window over the possibility of one of her parents bloodline not being the pure dark hair dark eye Japanese. There is always blonde hair dye for the 'yankee' look, but R. Mika didn't do that to my knowledge. Contact lenses could have artificially changed the color to a degree, but that isn't confirmed either.

Yes it's a rarity, but not exactly impossible. Lore wise she actually knows she looks different to other native Japanese and her training is akin to Karate kid films where her trainer Yoko Harmegeddon helps her out to be a wrestler with unusual methods.
Maybe she is just born in japan, but daughter of other people? Or she is adopted? Or she is daughter with a japanese with a blonde person?

Fuerte's just a Mexican Luchador who runs around screaming Mexican food names (yes, yes... he's a cook... I get it).

Blanka is just a monster, that is it, i know this doesn't sound bad, but i've seen people actively thinking that Brazil is just a place with jungles and monkeys....

But, there is worse things, i've seen people from Brazil thinking that in other parts of Brazil (which i used to live), there is no technology, and everyone is living in a jungle, traveling by boat and vines.

But being completely honest, i don't care, i don't think Blanka was a racist approach or something like that, is just that after Jetstream Sam, every brazilian character in every single game looks bad in comparison.

EDIT: Also, here is something that just popped out on Alex Ahad twitter.

CNcIWjYVAAAFUU3.png

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

His tweet is funny because he said his art was half assed and R.Mika has a big Butt which she is showing off in the picture.

AHAHAHHAHAHA...

Damn it Q stop playing with the Sheep in New Zealand and move your shuffling feet over here. Also bring the terrified children with you. Pls and Thank You

-Ninja

Last edited:
Also, I just found out she's supposed to be Japanese? Doesn't look like it to me. Then again, SF's never been very good with race portrayal :/
Around SSF2, I noticed they were going a lot more anime (well, they've always had anime influences notably Fist of the North Star, but the art shifts started) if you look at Cammy's eyes in the select screen port, she has a slightly different style compared to the previous version's of Chun Li.

In alpha things got more full blown, but in my head canon, I explain certain things away;

-Karin, totally can see her bleaching her hair and adopting the ringlet styles, cause, hey she's the daughter of a Zaibatsu head, she probably saw a hair style when they were jetsetting around and said "WANT THAT!"

-Mika, I initially thought she was russan when I saw her, but I figured later, that with her flamboyant Joshi stylings, she could have bleached her hair and be wearing contacts like Ken does (he already bleaches his hair and wears contacts - his eyes are confirmed brown, dunno why they're blue in SF), though she could be mixed in the way that Miller is in Metal Gear (even though he's part Japanese he still has full blond hair) or heck, even adopted. I doubt the last one though, but at least they didn't give her crazy aesthetics in the ways of green haired anime girl. I think Rose gets a pass due to her being special/psycho power enhanced.

Damn it Q stop playing the Sheep in New Zealand and move your shuffling feet over here. Also bring the terrified children with you. Pls and Thank You

-Ninja
SVfDyOx.png

Hrmmph*

*Translated: No! You're not my real dad! These sheep understand my urges to punch people in the throat so hard they bounce off the ground!

Uh, actually Q, people want you to do that.

Hrmph!*

*Translated: I'm getting my suitcase, plane ticket and my best scotchguarded gloves. Blood keeps ruining these things...TO ME, MY SHEEP!

Last edited:
in anime they put hair colour with a character's personality as well. Just to add to the layers of confusion of where a person comes from.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Just got home, this is great, this means we are probably getting Alex, Urien and Karin. That roster isn't perfect, but it is certainly great as long as one of the new characters is a zoner.

Wait, her V-Skill is a hype mechanic that improves throws and her V-Trigger is an assist?

This sounds somewhat familiar...

Wait, her V-Skill is a hype mechanic that improves throws and her V-Trigger is an assist?

This sounds somewhat familiar...
Noooooooooooooooooooo... You don't mean... That R.Mika Ripped off of... nooooooo... that's just... noooooo...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all :Y

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all :Y
Nah... R.Mika don't have no Chair. She's a FRAUD! A FRAUD I TELL YOU! YOU NEED THE CHAIR TO DO THE BEO DANCE

Nah... R.Mika don't have no Chair. She's a FRAUD! A FRAUD I TELL YOU! YOU NEED THE CHAIR TO DO THE BEO DANCE
YAMATO IS HER CHAIR
SHE LETS MIKA SIT ON HER ALL THE TIME

I mean, Skullgirls is kind of niche, but this being a coincidence doesn't seem very likely.

So when's the V-trigger that lets an abnormally tall character grab a friend and start beating the opponent with them?

YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHH!

SHE'S BACK SHE'S BACK SHE'S BACK!

credit where it's due capcom, you just redeemed yourself of one past mistake.

And about the "objetification" people, it's fiction, she dress to be the center of attention because she's a wrestling actress and women also like a shapely body.

Now go see the glorious Alex and urien sprites or see dudley's pelvic movement in his idle stance if you're into it. All is good, all is well and all is worth it.

So when's the V-trigger that lets an abnormally tall character grab a friend and start beating the opponent with them?
that's Hugo's V-Trigger. He picks up Poison and flings her around the place.

Today in a nutshell:

ass

Reactions: Wenzel
I played SF5 for the first time at couch warriors ranbat, even if it was released in its current state with more chars (to which they could make some improvements like get rid if input shortcuts/throw tech in special recovery/improve walk speed slightly across the board/remove general jankiness) I would be pretty happy with it. Ryu feels really good to play with his fast forward AND backdash speed, feels like 3S positioning game with sf4 walking footsies(which wasn't a bad part of sf4). Fireball conditioning game is real, dash throw game is real, anti-airs require more precision than previous sf games but that's a neutral point I think.

Simple, probably not much tech required to start playing it at a higher level because it doesn't give so much opportunity for tech, means we'll be getting real sf instead of guessing crouch tech, focus and backdash all day, and not having to grind 1f links and FADC combos. I'm very excited to play it again and sink all my time into it.

ALSO OMFG RAAIIIIIIINNNNBBBBBOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

at least he's not a boring Mexican character like T.Hawk.

and tbh, I kinda like that they take various nationalities and make them outlandish.
I mean, we got both billionaire playboy and super buff military man for America.
and then there's Rufus.

and in my opnion, I've always felt Mika is at least half-Japanese.

It's cool that Wonder Cheeks is back and and she's full on embracing her thickness but it's still no Ale- OH GAWD SHE GAVE VEGA THE STONE COLD STUNNER! OH THE HUMANITY VEGA IS FUCKING DEAD!

STONE COLD! STONE COLD!! STONE COLD!!!

No Karate Clown no buy

Please let this be a bait and switch for Karin
1440709324915.png

all we need is Urien.
Fixed.

Sano go to your room without supper.
You're grounded
I'M SORRY I LIKE A CHARACTER THAT HAS THE POTENTIAL OF PLAY-DOH, MOM!
GAH! I hate this family!