• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

What's wrong with double half circles? I think they're fine.

But I do play a shit ton of KOF, and there's no such thing as 360s in that series, just half circles.

Isn't Vega pretty different, though?
I mean, he's a stance character now, for one
that's pretty different

He still has pretty much all of the tools he had in older games though aside from Scarlet Terror. He also still seems to play this mid-range poking game as his preferred playstlye.

Charlie and Birdie are totally overhauled.

Either way I'm not trying to debate the meaning of the colors or reading much of anything into it. I'm just saying what I thought the colors meant at a glance. There's like a half dozen different meanings that the colors could have.

@POS Industries Do you believe that the Brazil Game Show reveal will be Blanka?

Mika win quotes:

Win vs Ryu:You have these battles sometimes... Like you're fighting yourself

Win Vs Necalli: The crowd wont get excited if all you do is scream

Win vs Chun Li: Thanks for your guidance. True pros sure are a cut above!
She is so nice. And knows respect.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Match win animation
mika3qwb5c.gif
this one reminds me of what some Sansuke/Ninja Warrior contestants will do amongst each other.
and they will leave an imprint on you if they're really strong.

Played some Beta tonight, got my butt kicked so I'll take a break till tomorrow. Trying to wrap my brain around v-skills, but overall I love the speed of the game.

Basic pattern recognition and deduction.

There are three color blocks. Each block follows a pattern (green only has SF2 characters who were also in SF4, blue only has returning characters who weren't in SF4, purple is obviously denoting the new characters). The color coding is obviously there for a reason and it's easy to deduce what that reason is just by looking at it.

To deny otherwise would just be willfully obtuse.

A bit of a problem with that is that the main reason you can read it like that is because of the characters that were revealed at the time. While it is one way to read it it doesn't necessarily mean it's the *only* way to read it.

Just leaving here the little footage of combofiend playing Mika, the twitch archive was linked before, but i think a youtube link is more convenient, and if someone missed. here it is.

Question.
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Zangief

How is Zangief 7"0' and only 253 lbs???
The wikia's aren't always on point, but for some point SF has always had a weird mismatch between height and weights of the fighters. ESPECIALLY the big guys like Gief and Sagat. People even noticed that in SF5 they've added more weight to Ryu and co.

The wikia's aren't always on point, but for some point SF has always had a weird mismatch between height and weights of the fighters. ESPECIALLY the big guys like Gief and Sagat. People even noticed that in SF5 they've added more weight to Ryu and co.
If we assume that now they are doing a research, for SFV, we may have some retcons in sizes and weights...

R. Mika herself (i was researching her measurements for the drawing i'm making).

Her weight and height fits considering that she is a muscular woman...

Hmm, now i'm going to look all of those sf cards to see the measurements...

R. Mika's more muscular than a bunch of the other women, yeah, but it's still too bad we can't get one as big as Ryu or more.

I know people would argue that would be bad cause it would make her "stronger" than Chun Li, who's "the strongest woman in the world" but whatever. Not expecting anyone else's legs to go as fast as Chun Li's anyway.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Some R. Mika, Claw, and Necalli action from combofiend.

Reactions: Aden
Awesome, I've been dying to see Vega in the hands of someone with a clue.

720s are so much easier to churn than double half circles. And if they wanted it to be easier, they could just swipe the way SG handles command grabs. qcb/qcf + lp+lk
So the issue is that there's less churning? I mean it looks like they made mashing DP worse due to really hard punishes, so It makes sense imo to do something similar to throws by either making them worse or unmashable.

Double half circles to carry the bonus that you can't accidentally jump for doing the motion correctly. And this being Capcom, there's probably leniency so that you don't even need to do a complete half circle, just start from down-back.

On a related note, here's a collection of some of my matches from day 1 of the beta, including getting wrecked by Fubarduck and AfroCole.
Take note that this isn't all my matches, just the ones that weren't laggy or against total newcomers. That said, at times you'll see places where I whiff her cr.MK into arrow and get st.HK instead, or when I jump and get j.HK instead of Cannon Strike. These seem to be caused by one of the big issues with the netcode at the moment - the fact that it tends to drop alot of inputs.

Reactions: EA575
Oh god I'm sorry but there's no way I'm watching that with this horrid audio quality.

Oh god I'm sorry but there's no way I'm watching that with this horrid audio quality.
No choice since I don't have a capture card and the game doesn't let you record.

That said, that's mostly just the first couple of matches where the phone's mic was picking up the fan.

I've been having some similar issues with the netcode as weel, with the occasional periods of shit connection. Also had some matches that felt real nice, so thats good

So the issue is that there's less churning? I mean it looks like they made mashing DP worse due to really hard punishes, so It makes sense imo to do something similar to throws by either making them worse or unmashable.
Wait what? Your argument is that just because SF5 combos do hella damage and dps can be punished (as if they couldn't be baited since forever), the entire category of grapplers has to suffer when you can mash out crouch techs and regular throws? That doesn't even make sense. If you play SG, mashing shit is life, and as Bella you mash dynamo not diamond drop/USS.

and no, the issue with double half circles and half circles in general is that it's harder to execute. Which means if you're trying to rapidly input in a situation where you need to punish something immediately, there's a higher chance of the move not coming out fast enough, or you just fucking up when it could just be a quarter circle.

Also when I tried playing Ibuki having to do half circles for every neck snap hurt the fuck out of my thumbs.

Reactions: juju_for_president
I honestly can't understand the double half-circle problem, but on the other hand I am a freak using keyboard for fighting games so maybe it's just easier on it.

I surely can make them more reliably and faster than a 720.

Some R. Mika, Claw, and Necalli action from combofiend.
Using the mic to tank a shoryuken.

She is my main.

A character that doesn't give a f*** to uppercuts.

I'm sorry chun li, i have a new waifu now.

Basic pattern recognition and deduction.

There are three color blocks. Each block follows a pattern (green only has SF2 characters who were also in SF4, blue only has returning characters who weren't in SF4, purple is obviously denoting the new characters). The color coding is obviously there for a reason and it's easy to deduce what that reason is just by looking at it.

To deny otherwise would just be willfully obtuse.
You're right, but I'd add that the blue section are all alpha characters. So maybe its supposed to be only alpha characters? Sakura WAS hinted at with R. Mika's trading card.

Birdie's likes: beef jerky, food
I've found a kindred spirit. As if I didn't already like Birdie

Mika's likes: Master Zangief's wrestling philosophy
Oh Mika, you really haven't changed

1. Dat CSS Jiggle
2. Dat ultra slap.MP29
3. Harrison/Birdie player really needs to plan his jumps more accordingly
4. And his specials, I'm not sure we even saw more than two
5. I don't think they should have let Mika be in a tourney so early, no one has had a chance to fully learn to counter her yet

Notes and footage from a guy who tested out Vega.

Reactions: Kawalorn
and no, the issue with double half circles and half circles in general is that it's harder to execute. Which means if you're trying to rapidly input in a situation where you need to punish something immediately, there's a higher chance of the move not coming out fast enough, or you just fucking up when it could just be a quarter circle.

Also when I tried playing Ibuki having to do half circles for every neck snap hurt the fuck out of my thumbs.
This exact issue is what immediately made me immediately drop Potemkin when I started Xrd (not that it was a huge loss, but I love playing grapplers even if they're terrible). I find full-circles far easier to input, so I am also pretty upset that R. Mika isn't getting either a Quarter-Circle or Full-Circle super inputs.

Finally, some direct-feed matches in English
you can actually hear Birdie clear as day this time

Wait guys, in this first match, mika comboed into her super?

I've been playing the beta a little bit over the weekend, and I'm having a decent amount of fun.

But I guess I'm a Birdie player, which sucks 'cause I hate the character. He's just good, though, and I always choose effectiveness over aesthetics.

Reactions: Aden
I've been playing the beta a little bit over the weekend, and I'm having a decent amount of fun.

But I guess I'm a Birdie player, which sucks 'cause I hate the character. He's just good, though, and I always choose effectiveness over aesthetics.
Maybe in the final product you'll find a character that is good in both sides for you, being well designed and having a moveset that fits you and is effective.

Function over fashion is always the best way to go

Tis why I'm gonna play R.Mika

Tight clothes, but tighter grapples yeow

I'm in love with mika, to be honest.

I think is the wrestling theme, she just brings hype to the table, screaming and doing cool looking moves.

Also, i want to learn grapplers.

And, she is beautiful.

One can hope. I take what I can get, at the moment.

Cool avatar, btw :)

Thanks, i'll finish it this week. I hope.

Nah, that was just a reset.

Hmm. Yeah, it looked like a combo, but as a SG player i should pay attention more. And i like how in the second one, he activates v-trigger and go for a super right after. =P