• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

that... option select is... really dumb. why is this here?
Is it really an option select? To me it looked like he just teched that throw on reaction. And why didn't V-Reversal activate during the second cr.lk? Please educate me.
Also I look at the input display and it looks like the engine repeats your input
LPLKMKHK
LKMKHK
so is it possible to plink in this game?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what is the jab throw tech? The closest I've seen is the Momochi pseudo-OS.

Not sure, juicebox mentioned that one existed on twitter.

Interesting, when using the Sega Saturn USB controller on PS4, only the buttons are recognized and not the dpad.

Apparently theres a jab/throw tech os too. I just wanna play an honest game for once....
Hi! :^P

Also yeah, you can plink things to throw tech easily.

Is it really an option select? To me it looked like he just teched that throw on reaction. And why didn't V-Reversal activate during the second cr.lk? Please educate me.
Also I look at the input display and it looks like the engine repeats your input
LPLKMKHK
LKMKHK
so is it possible to plink in this game?

The guy who did the video did it incorrectly. There's quite a few things wrong with presenting the OS. Mainly:
1) Inputting the OS manually instead of as a computer playback
2) Recording his test string as one long string instead of a specific string that is played back multiple times to showcase different scenarios that the OS covers
3) Did the OS on different timings which would present two different situations.

I did my own video about it explaining it a bit.

But basically, it's taking advantage of the fact that you cannot V-reversal if you're not in blockstun, and you cannot be thrown if you are in blockstun. The OS covers things like possible tick throw versus a 2-frame trap or something similar due to the delayed* input of the OS (which is just Throw+the two remaining buttons for the character's V-Reversal).

Ways to counter it is by delaying your frame trap even more than usual so you counter-hit the person out of throw startup**, use a frame-trap that has a longer frame gap than one you initially intended, frame trap with an attack that puts you airborne, move out of range of the throw**, etc.

*It's important it's delayed. You don't actually want to do an immediate V-Reversal/Throw OS as you want to take advantage of the throw tech window and how V-Reversal and Throw are mutually exclusive.

**I also want to point out that it seems throws are only in counter-hit state on startup and possibly active? Moving out of throw range and hitting afterwards seems to only be a normal hit. I didn't explore this specific aspect too much however. But keep in mind for crush counter timing versus normal hit timing for your combos so you don't do something silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: oraoraaraora
Does it work against two lights with the same timing as for the medium follow-up? Does it beat a heavy follow-up (with the throw)?

Does it work against two lights with the same timing as for the medium follow-up? Does it beat a heavy follow-up (with the throw)?

It's not reliant on what button the opponent uses, just the timing of the attack they use. With two light attacks however, the OS is at a larger risk, especially if the second light attack has an earlier timing than what the person doing the OS expected. V-reversal timing is rather critical in this game, and activating it in the recovery of a move greatly increases the chance that the V-Reversal will just get counter-thrown completely.

I'm a bit unsure what you mean by your last question. Do you mean will something like 2LP>5HP work against the OS? If so, then the answer is a maybe, as it's based on the timing that the person inputting the OS predicts the opponent will attack at. Strength of the move or whether it's a normal or special doesn't really matter. This OS specifically works because it's based on the timing of attacks.

I'm asking that since 2lp > 5hp isn't going to combo will the 5hp come out or does the person doing the OS land a throw?

Man, I'm slipping.

I'm asking that since 2lp > 5hp isn't going to combo will the 5hp come out or does the person doing the OS land a throw?

Depends on timing. Typically something like 2LP>5HP will probably counter-hit them out of throw startup unless they really delay their OS. But if they do it early, it's possible they could throw you if you're in range.

Basically if your button is active 5 frames later than when you think they're going to input the OS, you'll get thrown assuming you're in range.

Hi! :^P

Haha don't get it twisted, SG is my fav by a country mile, and a lot of that comes from how well put together it is... I just like a little variety. Plus this is gonna be the lingua franca of the fgc for like the next 5-7 years, so it would be nice if it where mechanically sound.

Reactions: MysteriousJ
SFV Media Create sales tracker has SFV at roughly 42k W1
That is actually pretty bad for a game of that IP pedigree when you look at this in comparison
That is ... pretty bad compared to SG, even. It's higher than SG was, but not by much - and this is STREET FIGHTER FIVE.

Plus this is gonna be the lingua franca of the fgc for like the next 5-7 years, so it would be nice if it where mechanically sound.
There is very little chance many of these system-level problems will be fixed.
And quite frankly, depending on how much the game cost to produce, it may not last that long. Capcom could be in actual trouble.

Last edited:
Capcom could be in actual trouble.
I wonder how Sony is taking this and if they are planning to do anything about the current situation.

Wasn't there news last year about Capcom's bank running (relatively) empty?

Are those global sales of the PS4 version?

Cause I can't stop looking at Steam Spy saying there are 100K owners of SFV on Steam. :V
No it's just Japan physical sales for the PS4. Japan unlike NA/EU every week puts out reliable sales figures for how the game sells as long as there is a physical copy for gaming consoles exists. Usually the top 20 sold are featured. It doesn't include Japan PSN sales or steam sales, but thing is Japan region is HEAVY physical game consumers. It's not uncommon that a game that sells 50k W1 on retail shelves only sold like 2-3k digital. PC gaming is near non existent in Japan too [outside of VN's or doujin games] so can't rely on many steam sales from them. So yeah your looking at maybe a 40-50k combined max W1 rough estimate give or take for Japanese sales which is still below a bunch of other fighters in that region. SFIV [just the vanilla release] in comparison did like 120k combined just from the retail physicals essentially doing 3x as well. A bunch of past Capcom fighters outsold SFV actually like future iterations of SFIV, SFxT, and even MvC 3 that Japanese don't really care for much.

FYI steam sales worldwide so far is a little above 100k right now which leveled off already which is literally half their market. PS4 is gonna really have to sell good in comparison if they want to meet the target 2 million by end of fiscal. So far news was reported that SFV launch retail sales underperformed in UK compared to SFIV launch although no specific numbers were given unlike Japan.

Good tell when a game this big legitimately sells well by now [been over a week] is when the developers' brag' about it. They been silent so far on this front. MKX I believe gave thanks for the sales relatively early which obviously turned out to be a blockbuster.

Double post, but kind of important since a friend literally just told me a couple min ago

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-PlayStation-Standard-Edition-4/dp/B00QXJFE08

PemoqDY.png

SFV retail already price dropped to $50 new after a week. NOT a good sign. For those who want the game cheaper this could be good news as time goes on relatively quick.

Wasn't there news last year about Capcom's bank running (relatively) empty?
i thought MH4U made so much money they said they were set for a good amount of time and then they opened a ton of mobile studios?

The only negative news about Capcom's finances I remember is when the board didn't continue the anti-takeover plan, which they then renewed like 6 months later and nobody cared.

Capcom won't go belly-up even if SFV flops especially when Sony helped. MH and RE sales alone will keep them alive. Which fortunately/unfortunately is what Capcom mostly will make these days instead of pursuing new IP/exploring underrepresented ones.

MH and RE sales alone will keep them alive.
You're forgetting Dragon's Dogma broke REmake's sales record, and again, as you bring up, with Sony also in the picture this whole thing becomes far more complex than "AAA title didn't sell".

PlayStation All Stars didn't drop this fast, like Damn son this is purty bad

FYI steam sales worldwide so far is a little above 100k right now which leveled off already which is literally half their market. PS4 is gonna really have to sell good in comparison if they want to meet the target 2 million by end of fiscal.

Well its anecdotal at best but as far as I've seen playing online PS4 players are much more common than PC players.

With that said, if SF5 crashes and burns after its first year it can only mean bad things for the FGC.

Yeah, I thought something was wrong when SFxT sold better in week one. :P

Though I actually do like that game more than SFIV and SFV...

Funny thing is, a week before SFV was out greenmangaming had a 20% sale for the game with a discount code. Once it was released, the sale became 25%. It was a little bit cheaper than the $50 they charging now

Necalli

Reactions: Spencer
That is ... pretty bad compared to SG, even. It's higher than SG was, but not by much - and this is STREET FIGHTER FIVE.
compared to SGs week one or over it's lifetime?

---

It really bothers me how hair and fabric clip through clothing, why is that acceptable.. like, rashid's head scarf clips through his shoulder and birdies chain clips through his medallion.

It really bothers me how hair and fabric clip through clothing, why is that acceptable.. like, rashid's head scarf clips through his shoulder and birdies chain clips through his medallion.
I KNOW RIGHT. I expected them to touch that up before release. It's not that noticeable in game, but birdie on character select looks unbelievably awful.

So, my first impressions:
I think the gameplay is actually what I wanted from it. It's a relatively simple, footsies-based fighting game that I can play with my local scene without having to practice a ton.
Everything but the gameplay is terrible. The menus especially suck, and it's dumb that it doesn't frame skip offline. Most of the time the game runs at 60fps for me (minimum settings), but having a hit spark on the screen drops it down to 57. That means I can't really practice combo timing, since the game slows down.

compared to SGs week one or over it's lifetime?
Week 1.

Not sarcastic:
Because that's a hard problem to solve, and if you are using someone else's engine like Unreal it's because you would rather focus on other problems than solve things like that.
Sure, it's considered an "important" thing to fix in a fighting game, as opposed to in like an FPS, because you spend so much time staring hard at one single character...but at the same time, it's largely irrelevant for the game itself, compared to the goal of "have hair/cloth that moves by physics instead of being animated". They do render characters in separate planes to prevent hands going through chests, which I'd place much higher on the priority list for visuals.
Sarcastic:
They spent millions of dollars on it, you can't expect the game to do things other games already do properly.

With that said, if SF5 crashes and burns after its first year it can only mean bad things for the FGC.
How so? Do other games suddenly become worse? Would SF5 itself become worse for its fans if it were to stop being supported right now?
Or do you mean loss of the esports side?
Sure, it might mean the loss of Mandalay Bay for Evo, but ASW made multiple Guilty Gears, Namco made multiple Tekkens, etc, in the years between Capcom making CFJ and SF4. People still played MvC2 and 3s and CvS2 and GG and Smash and everything. There were weekly or monthly gatherings in lots of places, there were tournaments...people playing fighting games, just the same.
People who want to grow the FGC to become mainstream, or who want to make money off it, would surely mind SF5 failing. People who just want to play fighting games, or the huge number of people in the FGC who have no interest in SF5? They wouldn't.
Even people who want to continue to play SF5, I don't think would mind. 3s failed hard financially and that playerbase didn't even notice.
We would probably stop getting ESPN coverage and sponsored players would have to go get jobs, but the overall FGC would remain largely untouched. As long as you remember that the FGC includes people who play all fighting games. :^)

I don't think Capcom and Sony are too concerned about it not reaching SFIV sales numbers. Games in the AAA space have become much more reliant on post-release content sales to make money nowadays.

While I don't have any numbers from Capcom or Sony, off the top of my head, in 2014 out of the $2 billion that EA made from games, $921 million, nearly half came from DLC. The same article that reported this also stated that the company saw this as a trend for video game sales.

As such, I'm pretty sure that Capcom and Sony's plans are more for the long term and that they expect to make most of their money back on DLC, especially since Ono has stated that they plan to support the game for at least 5 years.

What matters more now is if the competitive scene around the game can continue to grow, and if Evo numbers are any indication, then that shouldn't be much of an issue.

DISCLAIMER: Sony's paying me five figures to host a CPT regional event.

if Evo numbers are any indication, then that shouldn't be much of an issue.
It certainly was smart to open registration before there had been any major tournaments and when nobody was any good yet.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
It certainly was smart to open registration before there had been any major tournaments and when nobody was any good yet.
Well Evo reg has been this early for some time now.

The real devious move was dropping SF4 just to make sure nobody goes back to it.

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
and for that i'll always thank SFV and evo.

Agreed, in between all of this SFV hate, let's not forget that SFIV is still a turd.

What's devious about it?

I assume he means something along the line like "the community wasn't given a choice to show if they like it or not", with a main comparison to SFxT. SFxT, even though it was being pushed hard by Capcom, never took off and most of the community just fell back to SF4 when given the choice. By taking away SF4 for the sake of SF5, it now makes Evo the position for these SF4 players, "Well, either I play SF5, or I don't go to Evo" instead of just picking the game they'd prefer if they didn't like SF5. Or not even Evo, but for general Majors/local scenes everywhere. I've already seen a LOT of "Well, what are you gonna do if you don't pick up SF5?" for my area.