• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Right now, about 15-20% of the wins I get end in LOST CONNECTION TO OPPONENT. I actually did the math after several sessions :/

It's like... ok. It's better than IV, I guess? I got it for the same reason somebody else mentioned, it'll likely be the lingua franca of the FGC for a while. With stuff like brain dead OSs still existing, though, I can't see myself taking it very seriously. Something also tells me this is not setting the stage for a great era for the FGC.

How so? Do other games suddenly become worse? Would SF5 itself become worse for its fans if it were to stop being supported right now?
Or do you mean loss of the esports side?

If the landmark title for fighting games can't make a profit what does that say for the health of the genre as a whole and what does that say to a Publisher who's looking to fund, say, Skullgirls 2?

Plus it means less people to play with, in general. SF4 was a huge draw to pull new players into the FGC and subsequently get them into other games and if SF5 was a huge success it would mean better turnouts for every game.

If the landmark title for fighting games can't make a profit what does that say for the health of the genre as a whole and what does that say to a Publisher who's looking to fund, say, Skullgirls 2?
On the other hand, it could mean that something innovative by a studio with a reputation for freakishly high quality and openness to their audience could be a better draw for investors. "Normal didn't work? Weird and quirky it is!"

Right now, about 15-20% of the wins I get end in LOST CONNECTION TO OPPONENT. I actually did the math after several sessions :/

It's like... ok. It's better than IV, I guess? I got it for the same reason somebody else mentioned, it'll likely be the lingua franca of the FGC for a while. With stuff like brain dead OSs still existing, though, I can't see myself taking it very seriously. Something also tells me this is not setting the stage for a great era for the FGC.

Brain dead OS seems a tad harsh doesn't it? I mean it is no worse than the standard high/low protection OS that is extant in every air dasher, is it?

I'd love to see them eliminated, but of all of the ones I know of, only the CC one seems brain dead. Momochi's pseudo-OS is borderline frame perfect to be successful. The jab/throw OS on Shoryuken right now is far more difficult than it used to be (also sounds frame perfect). And the vRev/throw OS at least costs meter and sounds like the person using it has to gamble a bit on which move you use (though I aim to explore this notion tonight). Also, someone should really post that to Shoryuken. The more exposure it gets the more likely it is to be patched out if possible. Anyway, it definitely sucks that they exist, but I don't think "brain dead" applies for the most part.

Finally, rage quitters are stupid annoying, but it might make you happy to know that it is known, a fix is on the way, and abusers may be punished.

Anyway, I'm definitely not happy with SFVs launch, but I think I'd be able to quite literally bad mouth every fighting game on stuff that is non-gameplay related. So for me, the only "developer non-grata" is NRS... and that has a lot less to do with their atrocious launch. I'm giving Capcom a soft pass just like I've done with virtually every other fight game developer on the planet.

Brain dead OS seems a tad harsh doesn't it? I mean it is no worse than the standard high/low protection OS that is extant in every air dasher, is it?

I'd love to see them eliminated, but of all of the ones I know of, only the CC one seems brain dead. Momochi's pseudo-OS is borderline frame perfect to be successful. The jab/throw OS on Shoryuken right now is far more difficult than it used to be (also sounds frame perfect). And the vRev/throw OS at least costs meter and sounds like the person using it has to gamble a bit on which move you use (though I aim to explore this notion tonight).
For me, having any OSs at all just runs counter to the stated goal of the game: to be more friendly to semi-competitive players. It doesn't really matter if they're hard, they will be used by the best players. And I use braindead in the wider sense, in that OSs allow players to not have to make decisions. That's BS.

Every OS in existence is a blight upon mankind. The only good OS is a dead OS.

I agree 100%. I'm just trying to put it in perspective (as much for myself as anyone). They have a stated goal of trying remove OS, I hope they deliver on that goal.

man what is it that you guys have against operating systems

Sempahores man, semaphores.

Question for @Mike_Z since it involves the LZ driver. People on SRK are saying certain sticks don't work and that the console states that "cannot use wireless controller with PS3 system". Am I correct to assume that these controllers aren't working because they're trying to emulate/identify themselves as SIXAXIS or DualShock 3 controllers (which I believe the PS4 blocks)?

Last edited:
I think that Street Fighter x Tekken 2013 is the best game DIMPS has ever made, and I will hold this opinion until I die.

The first version of the game is awful and nobody can really defend that

Reactions: erkicman
Question for @Mike_Z since it involves the LZ driver. People on SRK are saying certain sticks don't work and that the console states that "cannot use wireless controller with PS3 system". Am I correct to assume that these controllers aren't working because they're trying to emulate/identify themselves as SIXAXIS or DualShock 3 controllers (which I believe the PS4 blocks)?
Yes, if you get a console message in the corner saying "Cannot use wireless controllers with PS4" then the console itself is ignoring the controller, because that controller is pretending to be a Dualshock 3. There is nothing the driver can do about that, it is ignored at a hardware level. The USB library is not even told anything is connected.

Including all DLC, Skullgirls cost under $2.5m to create. SFV most certainly did not, and likely cost over $40-$50m as a lowball estimate. Even if SG2 cost twice as much as SG1, the threshold for making a profit from SG2 would be much lower than the threshold for SFV. (Every port of SG so far has made a profit, as far as I recall.)

SFV has a 77 Metacritic score, a 3.2-3.3 user score (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/street-fighter-v) and a 43% rating on Steam. And this is the nice version of SFV's Metacritic score - the PC version has a 76 and a 2.4 user score (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/street-fighter-v). Skullgirls has an 83 on Metacritic with a 7.8 user score (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/skullgirls) and a 94% rating on Steam, from many more reviews.

To me, what that info would say (more accurately, what I would say) to a prospective publisher is: If you put out an incomplete or shoddy product then you won't make your money back; Skullgirls did not have that problem. SG2 would not have it either, because we at Lab Zero stand behind the quality of our games, and SG2 would still be orders of magnitude cheaper than SFV was, so you should fund it.

Yes, Skullgirls partially owes its initial funding to the success of SF4. But now that SG exists, I don't think SG2 would owe its initial funding to anything except SG1's market performance.

Last edited:
"SG2 will not have it either, because we at Lab Zero stand behind the quality of our games, and SG2 will still be orders of magnitude cheaper than SFV was, so you should fund it"

somebody quick make a fake leak

Anyway, I honestly doubt SFV failing will make people immediately think "oh fighting games are going down the drain"- In fact, from what just about everyone's saying, the gameplay is amazing, it's just that they released it at such a barebones minimum for $60 for one of the, if not the, largest fighting game series in history. I think I said this before, but honestly all it should do is show as an example that rushing something to get it out the door with very little to offer will not please anyone, especially for something like a fighting game.

I hope they rename it after the June update. In general renaming things help people move past the flaws.

Reactions: Mike_Z
I hope they rename it after the June update. In general renaming things help people move past the flaws.
I agree they should do that once the major updates are available. They should also remaster it, at least the downloadable version, so that anyone who buys it from that point will get the updates immediately rather than having to DL a patch.

As someone who experienced the reactions to the SG:E and SG:2E name changes, though, I am not sure renaming it would help, in reality, rather than just give people another chance to be cynical and say, "It's still the same game, they're just trying to cover it up now. It's only been 3 months."

Renaming it [anything more then like 1.1 or 2.3] would be a bad thing since Capcom already played their hand boasting that there would be no more Supers or Ultras version. They might get away with a repackaged 'GOTY' edition that includes the dlc characters, costumes, etc from the start while also not making the launch version obsolete unlike SSFIV, but there might still be some backlash with that 'ha Capcom lied' or 'knew it was wise to wait for the expanded edition' which would defeat the entire point of Capcom trying to do something different in terms of distribution.

The benefits of a rerelease would mean a fresh batch of reviews, more media, and more aggressive sale pushes. Assuming they want to do it I don't see it happening until after S1 finishes at the earliest which is several months from now.

they could always just retitle it by the year
SFV 2017 Edition or what have you
keeps people knowing that the game is moving forward, in some fashion

They did address this in the latest update on Steam, asking players to record every instance of it, though they didn't say what they'd do with such information.

I think that Street Fighter x Tekken 2013 is the best game DIMPS has ever made, and I will hold this opinion until I die.

Sucks they never bothored to update the pc version for some reason.

SG2 would not have it either, because we at Lab Zero stand behind the quality of our games, and SG2 would still be orders of magnitude cheaper than SFV was

Add to that you guys were willing to live on passion and noodles for over a year.

For me, having any OSs at all just runs counter to the stated goal of the game: to be more friendly to semi-competitive players. It doesn't really matter if they're hard, they will be used by the best players. And I use braindead in the wider sense, in that OSs allow players to not have to make decisions. That's BS.

I said it before (though not on here): OSes by itself aren't inherently good or bad. Everybody makes use of OSes at all levels of play, whether they realize it or not. Things such as buffered specials inside of normals when you're playing at a max range poking range are OSes. Safe jumps that have normals or specials buffered into them are OSes. These two things are used by players of all levels - especially the first one. And the first one is something that almost every player encourages people to do when playing at that poking range. It's hard to find someone who *doesn't* use buffered specials at max range poking from my experience or safe jump setups that rely on the opponent putting them in blockstun to eat up an input that would have came out otherwise or buffered back dash setups during blockstrings that is simply just making a status check of true blockstring vs gap in string.

It's more that the risk/reward structure for the OS needs to be properly balanced given the context and OSes that skew this greatly towards reward relative to lowered risk should have at least some attempts to be analyzed and see what can be done or see what the rationalization of it remaining as such should be. OSes (typically) aren't undefeatable and all encompassing. The basic ones are designed around a specific situation and around some of the common responses in that situation.

Looking at probably the most basic one of buffered specials in normals: this is designed purely as hit vs whiff. If the normal doesn't connect, nothing comes out while if the normal connects the special will come out. Practically every single fighting game has this now and the only ones that wouldn't are specifically ones that allow normals to whiff cancel into specials prior to recovery frames have fully completed. But we see lots of times that this OS can be worked around if it's relied upon a lot by walking just in range of the expected normal and immediately blocking to allow for a punish once the special comes out. Is it hard to do? Well, probably considering how quick some normals come out. But other avenues of punishment also exist in the form of whiff punishing. So is this type of OS okay? In my mind, sure - it's not inherently doing games any harm and the implications of attempting to remove this type of OS would probably have *worse* effects on the game than leaving it in.

Safe jumps with buffered inputs: another common one that people at an intermediate (or possibly earlier?) look at as well. This is something that we all should be familiar with at least. There's quite a few things to look out for in this one, but the most simplistic one is probably wake-up block vs invuln back-dash vs invuln reversal. Is this type of OS beatable? Depending on the characters and the game mechanics, sure. If the opponent cannot even punish the invuln back-dash because of [reasons], then this specific OS doesn't even work and a different one would have to be employed such as a character like Slayer in GG who can just BDCFD or has unique reversal options in BDCBite against some oki. Depending on which response the Slayer is electing to take, the opponent has to take different options, even if using an OS simply because some of these OS-able states cannot be fully covered (at least to my knowledge, I'm not sure how one could safejump and cover BDCDoT, BDCBite, BDCDandy, BDCFDJump, and backdash within a single OS). Certain system mechanics inherently make certain OSes have more counters as well (though at an increased execution barrier to the person on the defense) such as parries in 3S or focus in SF4 (though both of these brought a lot of issues as well in terms of OSes). If you want to get rid of *any* safejump OS, it feels like it would take a lot of work around concerning hitstop windows in order to remove these, and if you feel that a simple safe jump with buffered input is okay, then where is the line drawn between a “simple” one that encompasses X options and a “complex” ones that encompasses X+1 options?

Another one that will most likely see increased use is SF5’s Chun-Li being able to OS Lightning Legs vs Spinning Bird Kick in combos depending on if she had enough charge through her 5MP>2MK link or not. How would you even go about preventing this type of OS? If you remove this by having Lightning Legs be a strict 236 input instead of 2369 and special-cancelling the pre-jump frames, then you’re going against your goal of removing OSes for the sake of being “more friendly for semi-competitive players” who may not have 100% perfect execution of the top echelon of competitive players (who also don’t have perfect execution 100% of the time). Similarly if you make the SBK input only accept 2 and 8 inputs as charge start, gain, or execution of charge, then you’re also making things harder for semi-competitive players to maintain charge and execute it as well. So would you just change the input entirely to 214K similar to how lightning legs was moved to 236K? That’s fine and all – but what happens for other characters who can do similar OSes that cannot afford having the motion changed to that due to another move already occupying that motion?

Certain OSes that typically *all* people felt were way too rewarding not to do in terms of how much (little) risk it presented were things like the YRC-Burst OS in early Guilty Gear Xrd. There was literally *no* downside to this except in terms of execution. There was no counter to this outside of hoping the opponent had less than 25% meter or more than 49% meter. But this could be controlled because of tools like YRC, FD, and Blitz. This OS was also made possible due to the priority system for buttons in GG (and practically every other fighting game). Thankfully, this OS was easy to fix and *everybody* saw that the reward was way too disproportionate to the risk (read: infinitely rewarding), and it was changed *without changing any other mechanic in the game* which is something that’s important when it comes to fixing these OSes as fixing this had to affect everybody while also bringing about no unintended consequences which seems to be something that the whole “remove every and all OSes” sentiment doesn’t fully express in their explanation.

Removing a lot of these OSes would require changing in how hitstop works (read: most likely not have any hitstop at all) or changing in how input priority and reading is done (read: more strict). Both of these also make the game less semi-competitive friendly, so by removing the OSes, you’ve just shifted the balance from “semi-competitive players will have to be aware of these OSes and their counters” to “semi-competitive players will require incredibly strict execution at all times and will have to appropriate adjust to no hit-stop on anything” and that *still* doesn’t remove mutually-exclusive state based OSes (like the V-Reversal/Throw OS or Guilty Gear’s Throw/c.S OS or GG’s Throw/Gold Burst OS).

The fact is that SF5 *is* “more semi-competitive player friendly” (I really dislike this term btw, I feel if you refer to yourself as this, you’re competitive, just with not as many financial resources or time available). The 2-frame buffer for normal makes combos *vastly* easier for everybody. There should be no argument about this aspect at all. Things like making Chun’s lightning legs not a mash input makes playing her easier (it’s literally the reason why I went from not playing Chun in SF4 to even considering her in SF5). More options in training mode makes creating oki tools or meaty setups much easier (though the training mode is certainly lacking many things, it’s definitely an improvement over SF4 in terms of available options). The fact I can go online, search for a player, and retrieve that person’s most recent replays instead of just the replays that person uploaded makes learning certain matchups or approaches or strategies easier. Compared to other games like Skullgirls or Xrd or BlazBlue? That’s debatable I suppose, but in terms of *teaching* the player or introducing a brand new player to a fighting game, those three are completely above SF5. In terms of providing tools to the player, I’d say Skullgirls is above SF5, and Xrd and BlazBlue are about at SF5’s level, with possibly SF5 being above due to having wakeup timings and such which are what people are more focusing on now. However, compared to SF4, it’s really difficult for me to say that Capcom failed to deliver on their promise of SF5 being more friendly to people that are not Capcom Cup caliber. Is it more punishing to people when you mess up? Yes, it’s quite punishing to eat a Crush Counter into half your life or something similar, but it’s definitely easier to execute and (probably more important to me) *more fun* compared to SF4.

Should Capcom attempt to remove every single OS it can? No, that would take way too much effort, especially on an already completed game, and we'd probably end up with a game like SF1, just with more characters. Should Capcom attempt to remove disproportionately rewarding OSes? Yes - an OS should have a clear and consistent counter to it or at least one of the options the OS covers doesn't put the opponent in a disproportionately risky state than what would have happened if the OS didn't exist at all.

4b0.png

I said it before (though not on here):
This is mostly a good post.

But, when people who aren't super technical talk about "OSes", they are generally talking about offensive OSes that handle most options except blocking, or defensive OSes that handle all options in situations where a potentially very difficult decision/guess would normally be required in a 2-player interaction. Things like 2369 reading as both QCT and D,U, or poke into buffered special/super are not what are referred to. (Buffered special/super is handled by Marvel-style games where you can cancel on whiff, or even KOF where you can still cancel on whiff up through the end of the active frames, although there is still a timing-based OS there using hitstop.)

Safe jump into OS'd sweep (beating backdashes) or combo (on hit or into a safe move on block) in SF4 is one such example. This OS is actually preventable fairly easily IF one wanted to, for example by not reducing/removing move buffer times if an attack whiffed through someone's wakeup animation. Crouch-tech is another, especially when it can be crouch-tech with a fastest-possible attack which is faster than throws and leads to more damage/beats jumpouts, as is the case in SF5.

I do agree that the goal of removing an OS should be to affect as little as possible otherwise. That's why SG handles crouch teching as it does.

Removing a lot of these OSes would require changing in how hitstop works (read: most likely not have any hitstop at all) or changing in how input priority and reading is done (read: more strict). Both of these also make the game less semi-competitive friendly, so by removing the OSes, you’ve just shifted the balance from “semi-competitive players will have to be aware of these OSes and their counters” to “semi-competitive players will require incredibly strict execution at all times and will have to appropriate adjust to no hit-stop on anything” and that *still* doesn’t remove mutually-exclusive state based OSes (like the V-Reversal/Throw OS or Guilty Gear’s Throw/c.S OS or GG’s Throw/Gold Burst OS).
Most of this is wrong, though. As above, with the safejump example, most advantageous or super-powerful OSes are preventable with minimal impact, with enough thought. Sometimes just weakening one aspect of an OS a teensy bit, rather than preventing it outright, is enough to make it useless in competitive play. Skullgirls fixing one button assist+throw macro OSes, for example. Sometimes it is just a matter of changing button priority or move priority, and most of the time if you take advantage of information available in the game engine you can prevent things in one specific situation only.

However, compared to SF4, it’s really difficult for me to say that Capcom failed to deliver on their promise of SF5 being more friendly to people that are not Capcom Cup caliber. Is it more punishing to people when you mess up? Yes, it’s quite punishing to eat a Crush Counter into half your life or something similar, but it’s definitely easier to execute and (probably more important to me) *more fun* compared to SF4.
Compared to a game that is widely acknowledged as being not-new-player-friendly, SF5 did a better job. But that's kinda a useless comparison. Compared to what it COULD(/should) have been, though, did it? It still requires 3 buttons for alpha counters, with the motion being different per character. It still requires half circles for moves with no overlapping quarter circle motion. They could have widened the buffer on links to "any time after impact", effectively making them chains and removing the execution barrier entirely - heck, they could have accepted any attack button held down during another attack on the first frame possible after the previous attack finishes. And there's basically no argument against that stuff except for from people who prefer the game have a higher barrier to entry. It's better, but from a newbie's standpoint, still not great.

Should Capcom attempt to remove disproportionately rewarding OSes? Yes - an OS should have a clear and consistent counter to it or at least one of the options the OS covers doesn't put the opponent in a disproportionately risky state than what would have happened if the OS didn't exist at all.
This is very well stated.

@Mike_Z
So can you prevent safejump OSes by tweaking input readings during landing frames or, in a case of throw tech OSes, during tech window frames? To me it sounds like you can delete OSes pretty easily if you tell game engine to ignore specific button presses during specific frame periods, but I'm surely not an expert on this topic though.

Why is removing OSes a discussion so often?

Because if OS'es are too dominant in a game they can destroy all the fun in it. What's the point of a fighting game if you don't ever have to take a risk?

Because OSes replace the genuinely interesting part of fighting games - making decisions against another person - with rote practice. REALLY powerful OSes make the game more 1-player than most combos do. They remove fun, because if there is an OS that beats all but one of your options, you no longer have any choice but to do that one thing. When YOU know that, that's no fun for either person.
If Rock could be OSed to also beat Paper in addition to naturally beating Scissors, the game would degenerate into everyone throwing OSed Rock all the time. It's a bad analogy, but at the same time it's not really a bad analogy, because the level of fun can be similarly eliminated.

Because if OS'es are too dominant in a game they can destroy all the fun in it. What's the point of a fighting game if you don't ever have to take a risk?
Because OSes replace the genuinely interesting part of fighting games - making decisions against another person - with rote practice.
Sorry, I meant "why is removing OSes altogether a discussion so often". Hitconfirming with two normals that are safe on block is an OS. In 3S, doing chun's poke and buffering super, then hitting buttons if you see your poke hit and not if it doesn't is one. In SG as Bella doing Horns into US, hitting them if they IAD/are in range while still recovering to punish OTG, but grabbing them if they stay on the ground is another. Sure, they're worth doing over not, but I really don't think they degenerate the game like picking rock+paper would.

It's just usually when I hear someone talk about removing OSes, they are say something about OSes altogether being terrible and needing to be removed. I understand certain ones are powerful and can be done away with (like Bella's Excellebella into US OS from vanilla) or altered to be less dominant, but usually the complaint I see is to lynch all OSes.

Hitconfirming with two normals that are safe on block is an OS. In 3S, doing chun's poke and buffering super, then hitting buttons if you see your poke hit and not if it doesn't is one. In SG as Bella doing Horns into US, hitting them if they IAD/are in range while still recovering to punish OTG, but grabbing them if they stay on the ground is another.
I think you're using OS a little too loosely. An OS is when you, given static spacing, can input something that will do one of two (or more) actions based on what your opponent has input. None of the things you mentioned match that description. For example, if you could somehow do an input which resulted in Horns or USS, then that would be an OS, sure. Horns into USS, though? Not an OS. Just a calculated move.

Same with hit confirming. The action of getting a hit or being blocked leads to a choice: continue into a special move, or do not. The only way hit confirming would be an OS is if you could somehow make an input that added a DP after hitting with MP, but did nothing if MP was blocked. That would be an OS. The simple act of making one additional, pre-determined action occur (tacking a DP onto a connected normal) is not an OS.

So, now that we've separated OSs from these other, totally legit actions, yes, I would like to see all OSs die in a fire.

An OS is when you, given static spacing, can input something that will do one of two (or more) actions based on what your opponent has input.
So like a safe jump? Either they get hit or block, or you block their reversal. Right?

So like a safe jump? Either they get hit or block, or you block their reversal. Right?
No. Only one action occurs (jump in normal), and that does not change based on what the opponent does. It's always still going to be a jump in normal, and then you have to make the decision to make another input after that. At no point does the game resolve your input into a best possible option.

It seems like the same kind of thing to me. You do one thing that beats multiple of their options, you're safe doing it, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Even the lowest case like Zidiane uses would benefit from removal. Doing Ryu's c.mk on whiff and c.mk xx fireball on hit/block still minimizes (in this case, minimally so) good decision making.

That said, on a list of "what's tolerable", they are fairly high up there, and the effort to remove them vs the benefit of doing so is low relative to say crouchtech OS.

Just a quick answer to "Why OSs".

It seems like the same kind of thing to me. You do one thing that beats multiple of their options, you're safe doing it, and there's nothing they can do about it.
That's getting into the basic design of the game. Safe jumps are safe because of how the game works at its core, not because it's an OS. Just having something be super good doesn't make it an OS. For the record, I don't care for safejumps, either, because they similarly remove the need to make a decision. But it's still not an OS.

Option selects allow you to make the game play itself for you, which is kind of counter intuitive to how fighting games are supposed to work and and what makes them fun.

When Proximity Block option selects were discovered in SF4, someone made a comic that sums up my feelings pretty nicely. I can't find it anymore though.

Sorry, I meant "why is removing OSes altogether a discussion so often".
Because REALLY POWERFUL OPTION SELECTS remove player choice from the game and replace it with memorization. I said this.
I also said that when people say "remove all OSes" what they generally mean is "I don't understand that really simple things can also be option selects, but remove all the busted stuff". So that bit is spoken out of ignorance, because people just consider an OS to be "a really advanced technique that beats multiple options", without remembering about the lowest form of OS: pressing Down-Back to block, or just crouch if the opponent did not hit you. :^P

Hitconfirming with two normals that are safe on block is an OS. In 3S, doing chun's poke and buffering super, then hitting buttons if you see your poke hit and not if it doesn't is one.
No, these are not option selects! Notice how both examples have the player making a choice as a reaction to what happened? The definition of an OS is "the same input giving different results for different situations". These require a reaction. Sometimes it's an easy reaction, like with Chun, but hitconfirming is still something that has a choice in it.

It's just usually when I hear someone talk about removing OSes, they are say something about OSes altogether being terrible and needing to be removed. I understand certain ones are powerful and can be done away with (like Bella's Excellebella into US OS from vanilla) or altered to be less dominant, but usually the complaint I see is to lynch all OSes.
This is because the person speaking doesn't understand what an OS is, either. :^P See above.

[edit]
Safe jumps including buffered followup attacks are OSes, Kai. They do not require thinking, just timing.
With the same timing if you do safejump attack followed by Down-Back, wait, button...then if the opponent did an invincible reversal you will whiff through it, land, block, then press the button during blockstun and nothing happens. But if they did not do an invincible reversal you will touch them, be held in place by hitstop, and either combo or blockstring into your button press. There is no choice required from the attacker up through this point, so it is an OS.

This is part of one of the most powerful OSes in SF4.

Since the timing on hit/block is different, you can also hit different buttons at different times to get different actions.
Safejump attack, DB, input DB+RH, input DB+Jab+Short.
(Sweep into) safejump attack, land:
- Block the reversal, if any, because there is no hitstop (sets up the same situation)
- Sweep the backdash, because there is no hitstop (sets up the same situation)
- Combo/blockstring off your jumpin into crouching Jab, because the cr.RH would be pressed during the hitstop of the jumpin so it wouldn't come out because you haven't landed yet, but the D+Jab+Short is pressed after you would land. This leads into a safe blockstring, or a full combo confirm on hit. (sets up the same situation on hit if desired, safe on block)
- And as an added bonus if you realllllly messed up the jumpin, tech any throw attempt.

No choices required. Just training mode.
Stuff like that is WHY people keep saying "remove all OSes", because if you think OSes are ONLY complicated junk that beats all possible options, you'd say that.

Last edited:
No. Only one action occurs (jump in normal), and that does not change based on what the opponent does. It's always still going to be a jump in normal, and then you have to make the decision to make another input after that. At no point does the game resolve your input into a best possible option.
Pretty sure safe jumps are option selects. At the very least the way they work in Skullgirls they are. If I knock down Eliza as Big Band with H Brass then do jump in j.MK land downback c.LK, if Eliza wakes up with Upper Khat, the j.MK whiffs and the c.LK doesn't happen because I push it while I'm in blockstun from the Upper Khat. Otherwise I do j.MK then c.LK and it either hits her or doesn't depending on if she blocks. It's all one set of inputs, I'm not reacting to what the Eliza is doing at all.

Safe jumps including buffered followup attacks are OSes, Kai.
Pretty sure safe jumps are option selects. At the very least the way they work in Skullgirls they are.
I wasn't taking the buffered followup into consideration. Whoops D:

If I knock down Eliza as Big Band with H Brass then do jump in j.MK land downback c.LK, if Eliza wakes up with Upper Khat, the j.MK whiffs and the c.LK doesn't happen because I push it while I'm in blockstun from the Upper Khat. Otherwise I do j.MK then c.LK and it either hits her or doesn't depending on if she blocks. It's all one set of inputs, I'm not reacting to what the Eliza is doing at all.

Unrelated to SF5, but does this work against Eliza waking up with any version of her DP? Frequently, as Eliza, I hit out BB's on my wakeup when I try M or H DP (BB is big enough where just waking up with those hits him clean) where LP misses, and on the reverse when I play BB I've most certainly been hit out by Eliza's doing those DPs when I go for jump ins in the corner. Though usually I find BB jLK works like you said here.