• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Generically Named Thread Where We Come Up With Ways To Help Skullgirls

But Skullgirls merchandise is invisible to the average person
So we don't target the average person.

Duh.

But Skullgirls merchandise is invisible to the average person
Can confirm, I got horrible looks the last time I went out to get my mail in just my Skull-undies.

Reactions: lolster2nite
What if we got nicknames based on Skullgirl names.People will get curious, so they will probably look up what they mean, and some people might become fans from looking up Skullgirls.

Can someone tell me if this is a stupid idea.

I know L0 has said they're not into doing another Kickstarter and such.
But would it be possible, likely, or preferable to do something like, crowdfunding the necessary money to buy the Skullgirls IP back.
Because that seems to be the main problem, yeah, Autumn owns the IP and won't fund the team to do more things with it.
How much do IP's go for anyways.

Can someone tell me if this is a stupid idea.

I know L0 has said they're not into doing another Kickstarter and such.
But would it be possible, likely, or preferable to do something like, crowdfunding the necessary money to buy the Skullgirls IP back.
Because that seems to be the main problem, yeah, Autumn owns the IP and won't fund the team to do more things with it.
How much do IP's go for anyways.
Autumn isn't funding them, but that doesn't mean their owning of the IP is the problem. If there were other publishers begging to fund more characters and autumn said no then sure, but that seems pretty unlikely (and if they really wanted to publish it that much they could cover the cost of buying the IP themselves, although realistically autumn would probably say that they could as long as they got a cut of the sales.) Autumn has been pretty chill with how they use the skullgirls IP, they aren't the problem here.

Autumn isn't funding them, but that doesn't mean their owning of the IP is the problem. If there were other publishers begging to fund more characters and autumn said no then sure, but that seems pretty unlikely (and if they really wanted to publish it that much they could cover the cost of buying the IP themselves, although realistically autumn would probably say that they could as long as they got a cut of the sales.) Autumn has been pretty chill with how they use the skullgirls IP, they aren't the problem here.

Don't Autumn get
all the sales at the moment?
Which is why the people who work for L0 don't get money from the game and live off of crowdfunding money?
I guess that's more of the problem that I meant to say.

Don't Autumn get
all the sales at the moment?
Which is why the people who work for L0 don't get money from the game and live off of crowdfunding money?
I guess that's more of the problem that I meant to say.
That's not going to change if they get the IP back. The only way that's changing is if:
1.) Autumn changes their minds for some reason (and even this might change it since a contract is a contract, you can't get out of it even if it's because you want to stop collecting free money.)
2.) They publish on a new platform with a deal that gives them a cut of the sales. This can be achieved while autumn owns the IP.

I've seen a lot of blurry understanding about Autumn and Marvelous' roles in Skullgirls, so for those confused on this subject here is a loose idea of how publishing deals like Skullgirls' situation go:

• Skullgirls devs make their pitch game (at this point they had no company. It just was Mike, Alex, Mariel, etc) and show it to Reverge.
  • Reverge likes the game and agrees to develop it. Skullgirls devs are now employees of Reverge.
  • Reverge have no money to actually make the game, so they go to a publisher, in this case Autumn Games.
  • Autumn Games pay for everything from this point on - they pay for advertising, they pay for the wages of the staff, they pay for distribution costs, etc.
  • Since Autumn Games footed the bill for the game, they take in all profit for the game. Reverge's staff (now Lab Zero) are not entitled to the profits, but they had steady, reliable wages instead while the game is in production (most of the time anyway).
  • Obviously paying for all of these costs with no guaranteed return is risky. Autumn only make money on the profits from the game, so they have to hope that the game will be success and they earn the huge amount of money they invested in it via those profits. To hedge these risks, usually the publisher will negotiate to take ownership of the Intellectual Property (IP) of the game too. That way if the game is a success they earn the profits on it AND they keep the rights to make sequels. Autumn don't want to spend loads of risky money developing a game, then for the dev team to migrate to another publisher and make a financially successful sequel off the back of all the advertising and development costs Autumn spent on the first game.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of blurry understanding about Autumn and Marvelous' roles in Skullgirls, so for those confused on this subject here is a loose idea of how publishing deals like Skullgirls' situation go:

• Skullgirls devs make their pitch game (at this point they had no company. It just was Mike, Alex, Mariel, etc) and show it to Reverge.
I was under the impression that Reverge Labs was a company mike and alex and the gang made to create skullgirls.
Especially considering that, checking their website, it appears that skullgirls was their first and last project.

I was under the impression that Reverge Labs was a company mike and alex and the gang made to create skullgirls.
Especially considering that, checking their website, it appears that skullgirls was their first and last project.

Probably not, since that would mean Mike and co. managed the amazing feat of being let go from their own company.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Nope. They joined up with Reverge to make the game. After the initial release of Skullgirls the entire SG team was let go. They then reformed as a new company called Lab Zero.
Reverge as a company existed before they took on Skullgirls, and they still exist totally separate from Lab Zero.

I've been making it a point recently to buy and give away Skullgirls to an interested person once a week. I know the profits won't go to Lab Zero directly or anything but the more people owning Skullgirls = better chances of more DLC being financially viable for a publisher. And heck I don't even have a job or anything but I'm good enough at making money fake money on the Steam Market that $15 weekly is super easy for me.

Last edited:
Look guys, there's a chance this could backfire, but that effeminate Game Theorist has the solution:

If Pewdiepie plays Skullgirls it will sell thousands of units and get loads of exposure! It'll probably bring in a lot of morons into the fanbase but it will make us all rich! I mean it will make Lab Zero rich!
That dude needs to stop helping selling crap games and start playing some good stuff...

Look guys, there's a chance this could backfire, but that effeminate Game Theorist has the solution:
There's a discussion a way's back a few pages with this.

And think about it, do we rEALLY want Pewdiepie of all people playing Skullgirls? I would honestly be more interested if say Chuggaconroy since he's usually a lore nerd and could give newcomers some well needed information.

There's a discussion a way's back a few pages with this.

And think about it, do we rEALLY want Pewdiepie of all people playing Skullgirls? I would honestly be more interested if say Chuggaconroy since he's usually a lore nerd and could give newcomers some well needed information.
Mabye a only slightly less popular you tuber then? Like tobuscus, or Smosh games?My friend said chuggaconroy was good, but we need someone who can show the game to people who have never even given Skullgirls a look. Pewdiepie. may be the best option, but there are others also....

Mabye a only slightly less popular you tuber then? Like tobuscus, or Smosh games?My friend said chuggaconroy was good, but we need someone who can show the game to people who have never even given Skullgirls a look. Pewdiepie. may be the best option, but there are others also....
Please choose the lesser evil, holy shit.

Look I'm not happy about this either, but after all the money these guys have given to Slender the Arrival, Goat Simulator and Flappy Bird it would be nice for them to direct some cash towards Skullgirls as a form of penance!
But yeah, those guys would probably cramp Skullgirls style.
It's a case of: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.

Look I'm not happy about this either, but after all the money these guys have given to Slender the Arrival, Goat Simulator and Flappy Bird it would be nice for them to direct some cash towards Skullgirls as a form of penance!
But yeah, those guys would probably cramp Skullgirls style.
It's a case of: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.
Just not Pewdiepie, I know of his horrid jokes and bad content, not to mention 99% of his fanbase are pretty much dumb children.

Smosh Games did cover it back in the day before it got taken down from consoles.
There's a Super Mari Fun Time on it, and I'm pretty sure there was a Game Bang on it as well, but that episode has long disappeared for some reason.

Reactions: lolster2nite
PewDiePie isn't really much of an option as fighting games require for the player to know what the hell are they doing and PewDie isn't about that. He's about fucking around.

PewDiePie isn't really much of an option as fighting games require for the player to know what the hell are they doing and PewDie isn't about that. He's about fucking around.
That goes for most Let's Players. Maybe TotalBisc-wait. No. He's dealing with his own problems right now.

...AcidGlow?

Basically we all agree that the game needs more exposure. Preferably not involving an A-lister Youtuber with no taste. Also it would be in the games benefit to have exposure to more fighting game fans...

Which reminds me: WHY EVO WHY?

TotalBiscuit (polar opposite of Pewdie and the crew because he endorses quality games and tells people not to buy bad games) did a WTF is... Skullgirls? episode and he had nothing but nice things to say about it. Some of his fans were disappointed he didn't have complaints about the game being 'too sexy.'

I should take a gander at Skullgirls sale figures... but I'm afraid they'll depress me.

Maybe we should try spamming Maximilian until he does another piece on Skullgirls. He seemed to be more into it the last time he played it on his channel.

Which reminds me: WHY EVO WHY?
Because to get exposure, you must first have exposure? Which, I must admit, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

TotalBiscuit (polar opposite of Pewdie and the crew because he endorses quality games and tells people not to buy bad games) did a WTF is... Skullgirls? episode and he had nothing but nice things to say about it. Some of his fans were disappointed he didn't have complaints about the game being 'too sexy.'

Like I said, he's dealing with his own problems (such as... oh, I dunno. Cancer?) and I doubt he'll be doing much YouTube-wise right now.

Woah woah woah he ain't got cancer yet. :P

Just something that might turn into one if he let it grow a bit more.

That goes for most Let's Players.

They are at least trying and are capable of playing somewhat properly.

And as someone who is subscribed to him I can say Pewds isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch when it comes to video games mechanics. And he has really short attention span.

Last edited:
Woah woah woah he ain't got cancer yet. :P

Just something that might turn into one if he let it grow a bit more.
From what I've heard, it's turned into full-blown cancer.

Like I said, he's dealing with his own problems (such as... oh, I dunno. Cancer?) and I doubt he'll be doing much YouTube-wise right now.

I didn't say I wanted him to do a video on Skullgirls... I said he already did one.
Chill.

*Snaps fingers* I've got an idea: Rooster Teeth and the folks at achievement hunter.

They're mostly xbox 360 guys who do lets plays now and then. They are HIGHLY respected by the youtube and gaming community and take certain games seriously without becoming too hardcore about it. Maybe if we can get them to expose SG a little in one of their let's play videos showcasing all the guys in a room having fun playing against each other, it might help SG gain the recognition it deserves.

Remember, they (or one of the guys there) made RWBY, a 3D anime series, and one of the Characters called Yang Xiao Long has a palette for one of the characters here (help me find her please). So I'm sure the fan base over there would be more than happy to have discovered a new game.

The only problem is getting them to understand the basics of fighting games.

There's also Game Grumps since Arin and Ross know a bit about fighting games. The only issue with that is the only way to send thema copy is via steam and even I have no idea how to send it to them.

*Snaps fingers* I've got an idea: Rooster Teeth and the folks at achievement hunter.

They're mostly xbox 360 guys who do lets plays now and then. They are HIGHLY respected by the youtube and gaming community and take certain games seriously without becoming too hardcore about it. Maybe if we can get them to expose SG a little in one of their let's play videos showcasing all the guys in a room having fun playing against each other, it might help SG gain the recognition it deserves.

Remember, they (or one of the guys there) made RWBY, a 3D anime series, and one of the Characters called Yang Xiao Long has a palette for one of the characters here (help me find her please). So I'm sure the fan base over there would be more than happy to have discovered a new game.

The only problem is getting them to understand the basics of fighting games.

There's also Game Grumps since Arin and Ross know a bit about fighting games. The only issue with that is the only way to send thema copy is via steam and even I have no idea how to send it to them.
Yeah, and didn't the creator of RWBY say he loved Skullgirls?
(I believe he actually said he would love a RWBY fighting game to be made by Lab 0.)

Reactions: Shockdingo
I am not a fan of RWBY or Roosterteeth myself, but I see what you guys are getting at. They have better chances getting their particular fanbase(s) into Skullgirls then most of these other guys.

Lab Zero making a rwby game would be neat.

Licensed games seems to be a way for devs to finance their original games. Like how Way Forward does a bunch of licenses then works on a Shantae game?

note: i have no idea how game finances work.
Shantae isnt' their's I dont' think?

So now the conversation has moved from 'let's get somebody famous to sell the game' to 'Lab Zero will have to work on some other games funded by big studios and licenses before they can return to their passion project, Skullgirls.'
This is the more realistic route...
But, personally, I'm still hoping for that eccentric billionaire to become addicted to Skullgirls!

Shantae isnt' their's I dont' think?
I was under the impression it was.

But, as I said, I don't know anything about game finances.