• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Generically Named Thread Where We Come Up With Ways To Help Skullgirls

Sending steam copies to the youtubers isn't a terrible idea...but it has admittedly been tried in the past with mixed results.

The two best friends play stuff has been rad, but max's playthrough didn't do the game too many favors..and skullgirls has been sitting in the steam train's library for like well over a year or longer at this point. I think Dsp took a dump on the game at launch not that his opinion matters. The common denominator here is that all these youtube personalities typically play fighting games regularly and have interest in the genre to an extent..

Mark and Pewds are cool guys..maybe they'll bite, but I'd prefer not to watch a longplay of just random mashing either (million subs be damned). However, all press is truthfully good press at the end of the day.
I think we can safely say it's decided, then! Let's get Mark and Pewds to play it! Mashing will happen, but even mashers can become pros. Let's comment on the latest Markiplier Highlights video and all say something like this:

Save our favorite indie game Skullgirls!
Then id he doesn't bite, we'll send him a copy when Eliza comes out!

I'll let someone else figure out Pewds... He's annoying to contact.

Max has at one point i believe and there are a few people who do play it such as chris g, justin wong and i don't recall who else
Max(imillian Dood, if that's the Max) brushed it off, and Chris G. Called it ****. We need some new advertisers.

Last edited:
How exactly are we saving a game that's already made/paid for?

How exactly are we saving a game that's already made/paid for?
Well, I dunno about everyone else, but by me wrestling Donald Trump (as stated on page 8) He wont be able to use his "hair" to confuse the general public into thinking he's Filia. Thus reputation of L0 saved! :PUN:

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
OK, everyone! I'm going to go ask Mark on his latest highlights video, so everyone who supports the Youtube idea comment on my comment! Let's make it big!

Well, I dunno about everyone else, but by me wrestling Donald Trump (as stated on page 8) He wont be able to use his "hair" to confuse the general public into thinking he's Filia. Thus reputation of L0 saved! :PUN:

I still stand for the WWE BeoWulf cross Huk Hogan cameo.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Cool. Then let's all go out today and commit as many felonies as we possibly can, then we'll all simultaneously claim that we did it because of Skullgirls. That should get the word out there pretty quick.

As sarcastic as this comment is it would in fact make Skullgirls very popular. People would wonder hmm why did all these people commit felonies for Skullgirls whats so great about this game? More people would play. I stand by the comment I made about publicity. I'm not saying we should embrace negative publicity but it has worked for fighting games before.

Mortal Kombat became popular due to it's graphic content not it's game play. Even if a popular reviewer does not like the game, the fact that they reviewed it creates buzz.

As sarcastic as this comment is it would in fact make Skullgirls very popular. People would wonder hmm why did all these people commit felonies for Skullgirls whats so great about this game? More people would play. I stand by the comment I made about publicity. I'm not saying we should embrace negative publicity but it has worked for fighting games before.

Mortal Kombat became popular due to it's graphic content not it's game play. Even if a popular reviewer does not like the game, the that they reviewed it creates buzz.
Get Markiplier to play it, don't commit felonies...

I stand by the comment I made about publicity.

It goes both ways dude. Sometimes negative publicity can have a positive effect regarding the success of a service or product, sometimes it does the exact opposite. Either way, it wouldn't be negative publicity if it didn't have some sort of unwanted effect. Even if more people end up supporting or adopting a new product or service due to negative publicity, that doesn't mean it's a good thing for the brand or the people that created it.

Just because something goes viral, creates a lot of buzz, or is a popular topic in contemporary opinion doesn't mean it's beneficial to the product, even if there are some calculable benefits.

That's why I wrote.

I'm not saying we should embrace negative publicity

In this thread we've been pitching out ideas. I personally don't think that letting some Youtube celeb play the game would be the worst thing but that's just my opinion. Skullgirls is a good game I think we should be able to give it to most any one with confidence that they wont want to shit all over it, but you run a risk with any move you make.

I also want to add that I don't this would be the saving grace that Skullgirls needs to keep content flowing, it couldn't hurt. Sure the game may be criticized but all games get criticized every other Youtuber that does fighting games has already played it so why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
Well, full version it is! But a quick question. If I can't judt send them the gane, how do I get it to them?
This is what I'm talking about here about not checking out stuff before you post. All that information is just one short Google search away.
And I agree with my brother. You need a guy to come on your Youtube channel and talk about it, like how Capcom has Peter Rosas. A video shouldn't cost much, right? You could try to emphasize how you're the fun fighting game that still appeals to pros. It would also get some Adsense money rolling in!
No one posting in this thread works for Lab Zero. All us moderators are just volunteers who run this forum. Only people with black "Lab Zero" banners under their names are people who work on the game.

And again, you've made several double posts since I told you last time. If you want to reply to two comments, hit the Reply button on both of them - don't make two posts one after the other.
And they weren't "I came back to post later." The posts were made less than a minute apart. If you want to add more content to a thread and you were the last poster (and it's only been a short time since you made that last post) then Edit the post, don't add another one.

This is what I'm talking about here about not checking out stuff before you post. All that information is just one short Google search away.

No one posting in this thread works for Lab Zero. All us moderators are just volunteers who run this forum. Only people with black "Lab Zero" banners under their names are people who work on the game.

And again, you've made several double posts since I told you last time. If you want to reply to two comments, hit the Reply button on both of them - don't make two posts one after the other.
And they weren't "I came back to post later." The posts were made less than a minute apart. If you want to add more content to a thread and you were the last poster (and it's only been a short time since you made that last post) then Edit the post, don't add another one.
I have bad timing with my posts sometimes, and I mostly do this on my ipod, so editing takes forever, so sometimes I'll just write again. Also, I know Arcana didn't work for L0, but I thought you did, due to the praise(?) from Mike Z. On your signature. Either way, I think you can agree with me, they need a good PR guy.

I have bad timing with my posts sometimes, and I mostly do this on my ipod, so editing takes forever, so sometimes I'll just write again. Also, I know Arcana didn't work for L0, but I thought you did, due to the praise(?) from Mike Z. On your signature. Either way, I think you can agree with me, they need a good PR guy.

Er...what is wrong with the current PR guy? Do they even have a PR guy? I mean its kinda strange to out right say "They need a good PR guy." When they have done very well so far. Surely what they have done is much more professional than commenting on videos by..popular Youtube personalities flooded with "XDDDD LOVE YOU MARK PEWDS OMFG." Try hosting local tournaments and gift your friends the game rather than hoping by some slim chance that they will notice the "Save Skullgirls please."

Er...what is wrong with the current PR guy? Do they even have a PR guy? I mean its kinda strange to out right say "They need a good PR guy." When they have done very well so far. Surely what they have done is much more professional than commenting on videos by..popular Youtube personalities flooded with "XDDDD LOVE YOU MARK PEWDS OMFG." Try hosting local tournaments and gift your friends the game rather than hoping by some slim chance that they will notice the "Save Skullgirls please."

Randomly looking at this thread because someone tagged me in the last page, so I'll step in to clarify.

We do not have a budget to pay a dedicated PR person, so any PR we do is handled by me and Ravidrath. That is generally limited to making posts on the Skullgirls Facebook page and on the Skullgirls Twitter account. We'd love to do more, but we don't have a lot of extra time outside of our regular dev duties, and we don't get paid any extra money to do it.

Last edited:
Because he's got a gigantic number of followers.

Real talk.

Most of Pewdiepie's fans are really really amature (not that we already don't have some people like that here).
-But would you really want to get a bunch of kids and trolls that would ruin the community?
-Sure the game would get more fans but the community would be just a mess.
Don't get me wrong, i would love for the community to grow.

Heck i might be all wrong and this could work out just fine, the fans come and raise the popularity and they either leave or stay.In either end the game would be more popular.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
You should better send it to James Rolfe and Mike Matei.

Randomly looking at this thread because someone tagged me in the last page, so I'll step in to clarify.

We do not have a budget to pay a dedicated PR person, so any PR we do is handled by me and Ravidrath. That is generally limited to making posts on the Skullgirls Facebook page and on the Skullgirls Twitter account. We'd love to do more, but we don't have a lot of extra time outside of our regular dev duties, and we don't get paid any extra money to do it.
Ah! FINALLY a Lab Zero employee! The point I've been trying to make is that you guys need to change your image. Right now, Skullgirls is "that game I heard about" which is devoted to long-time followers and pro gamers. The community needs to get a low-skill fanbase, or it'll fail, and half the people here keep saying they don't want to see Noobs! Street Fighter has a ton of Air-Hado spammers, and you'll meet your fair share of 'em, but think like this, everyone: How many gamers are there? Millions. Now, how many of them are casual? Easily 3/4 or more, I'd say! We may hate low-level players, but if there's a hundred of them for every one of us, then you'll get more money, Lab Zero!

As far as your budget, I think you may have thought your priorities out wrong. I checked your stretch goals, and nowhere did I see "Bring Skullgirls to Japan's arcades", or "Create a line of figures just for a handfull of conventions". I talked about this whole issue with my mom earlier, and she thinks you're a sinking ship. (and before anyone says anything negative, my mom has run her own business for a few decades, which I am Vice-president of, and even though there have been times we've been strapped for cash, we've managed to thrive.) I've made business plans by myself which have made thousands, but those plans wouldn't have worked without taking a leap of Faith or two. BUT! nowhere has one of our plans ever included biting off more than you can chew. Did the lawsuit hurt THAT much? I feel that before you decide to start up another "$200,000 character" (doth quoth Cellsai) you should spend those resources on something that will help your PR/increase your gross revenue to something above $0, such as a comic line, or a collab (like the possible one with UNIB you're doing). Also, I can't help but wonder if Mike and Alex hired a good accountant before they started the Indiegogo campaign. Yes, I just complained about your release of merch before reaching stretch goals, but the difference is that you focused on the wrong part of the world. I'd say go for it about the arcade and figures in Japan... If Lab Zero was in Japan! You're based in Los Angeles, last I checked, so do something in the U.S.! Facebook and Twitter work great, if you already have a massive following. Since you (sadly) don't, you need to grab people's interest more! (and who's this Mane6 you gave the Z Engine to? I can't find a thing on them!)

Also, don't expect the name of my mom's company, I'd prefer to not damage our business by negativity from this community.

The main thing that sells Skullgirls is the personality/art of the game, mixed with the balanced gameplay. That's what reeled ME in! The problem with that is that you can't sell with JUST personality and balance. You need a unique work, plus good timing. I realized that all Skullgirls does is recycle everything we know about fighting games, it doesn't do anything new. I've found that every successful fighter has SOMETHING of its own. Street Fighter III has Parrys, SFIV has Ultra Combos, MVC3 has X-Factor (well, Simon thought that up first...) Guilty Gear has Critical Hits, Smash Bros. has Damage Percentage... the list goes on. I love Skullgirls, but it doesn't bring much to the table in that department. All I can think of is Nadia's head, (I may have missed a game, I don't play EVERYTHING) but that's not something you can market, is it? Also, the timing's been less than optimal. Encore released around the same time as Street Fighter IV's newest version. If you're a kid in toys R us with his mom, picking out a present, what'll it be: the fighter everyone knows and loves, or that new thing with the nurse.... cover your eyes, Timmy!
You didn't even have THAT advantage because Skullgirls is download only, so recomendations for it are mostly by mouth.

From the moment I saw this game, I though: "Wow! this looks cool! the characters remind me of Darkstalkers! Wait a minute..." That sums up how your company's going. I sometimes feel Alex would've done better starting up a job at Disney (to be honest, it would be an interesting option for the future, once he retires from games). Creative characters aren't everything, as shown by Street Fighter III's reception. If they didn't have their own unique system, the parry, STREET FIGHTER would've keeled over! (and they almost did that other time thanks to Mortal Kombat's real fighters and fatalities [another unique system! Also, happy anniversary, ESRB!], which stood out from anything ever made. I don't like the MK series personally, but the audacity shown by the creator is what made them successful.) Darkstalkers HAD a unique system, the normal-to-normal cancel, plus the power-up system I forgot the name of (been that long...).

So PLEASE, Lab Zero! Think things out a bit more carefully, and even though your budget's $0 (Doth quoth Death Arcana), money can come in always, if you want it. Also, YES, play the lottery, even! There are people who make thousands playing professionally, and I think it helps any business! It wouldn't hurt to delay some DLC to garner some attention from casual players, and I think any player on this forum worth listening to will agree with my logic.

Or you could be like this:

upload_2014-9-22_18-21-45.jpeg

Your choice.

Wow, look at this minefield I walked into. Thank you for your sound business and marketing advice based on limited knowledge of our approach and campaign promises.

Maybe I'll respond to this later today when I have some time, but I honestly think you've got the wrong idea about us.

Also, Forgot to mention a few things:

1. that's all I have to say for this thread, so I don't intend to reply, but I'll read anything new.

2. I have a feeling a lot of people don't believe me about my knowledge of business, or my mother's sucess, but I assure you, I'm not a "my mom works at Nintendo" lie.

3. What I've said is reflective of what I've been able to garner on the subject matter, so yes, I don't know your business plan 100%

Also, Forgot to mention a few things:

1. that's all I have to say for this thread, so I don't intend to reply, but I'll read anything new.

2. I have a feeling a lot of people don't believe me about my knowledge of business, or my mother's sucess, but I assure you, I'm not a "my mom works at Nintendo" lie.

3. What I've said is reflective of what I've been able to garner on the subject matter, so yes, I don't know your business plan 100%
http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/who-yall-like-thur-10pm-est.1038/page-75#post-179934
you're wanted in the WYL. respond.

Not sure how wise it is for me to engage in a discussion with someone who's going to basically mic drop and walk out the door, but here goes nothin'.

The point I've been trying to make is that you guys need to change your image. Right now, Skullgirls is "that game I heard about" which is devoted to long-time followers and pro gamers.

How is it we're devoted to pro gamers? We want our game to be balanced so it can have a long life in the competitive scene, but I don't see how being dedicated to making the game balanced on a competitive level means that we think competitive players ARE EVERYTHING.

I agree that Skullgirls needs some new pretty packaging and an image change, though. A lot of people who wrote off Skullgirls when it first came out don't know that the game is vastly different from what it once was.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
The community needs to get a low-skill fanbase, or it'll fail, and half the people here keep saying they don't want to see Noobs! Street Fighter has a ton of Air-Hado spammers, and you'll meet your fair share of 'em, but think like this, everyone: How many gamers are there? Millions. Now, how many of them are casual? Easily 3/4 or more, I'd say! We may hate low-level players, but if there's a hundred of them for every one of us, then you'll get more money, Lab Zero!

When did we ever say that we think high-level players drive sales? We've known for a long time that even the FGC in general is not a good gauge of how well something sells or how long a life it will have. Don't conflate the Skullgirls community's predilections with our business plans.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
As far as your budget, I think you may have thought your priorities out wrong. I checked your stretch goals, and nowhere did I see "Bring Skullgirls to Japan's arcades", or "Create a line of figures just for a handfull of conventions".

Oh hey, yes, please critique the budget you haven't looked at. Things like ports - the PC port, the arcade port, the PS4/Vita ports - are funded by 3rd parties. That's why they aren't in our stretch goals. Also, I don't know where you got "Create a line of figures just for a handful of conventions," since we never said we were doing that. Any Skullgirls figures you've seen on the internet or twitter or wherever have all been done by fans.

Lab Zero's budget for the past year and a half has been SOLELY from the money we raised through our Indiegogo campaign, and is very tightly budgeted to allow us to finish the content we promised we would make, along with all the rewards we promised our backers.

Until as recently as July, we've had no other source of income because we did not receive a cut of sales from the game. That was not by our choice, and we changed that at the earliest opportunity.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
I talked about this whole issue with my mom earlier, and she thinks you're a sinking ship. (and before anyone says anything negative, my mom has run her own business for a few decades, which I am Vice-president of, and even though there have been times we've been strapped for cash, we've managed to thrive.) I've made business plans by myself which have made thousands, but those plans wouldn't have worked without taking a leap of Faith or two. BUT! nowhere has one of our plans ever included biting off more than you can chew. Did the lawsuit hurt THAT much?

I don't really think you're in a position to assess whether or not the things we have on our plate are "more than we can chew," and that we are a sinking ship. On the contrary, we are still afloat as a company despite being behind in our character release schedule exactly because we know how to budget our funds smartly.

I should note that I'm not calling into question your business sense or your experience. It doesn't matter. What matters is how much information you have to be able to come to your conclusions about our business practices and how we're spending our money, and it frankly sounds like you don't have much.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
I feel that before you decide to start up another "$200,000 character" you should spend those resources on something that will help your PR/increase your gross revenue to something above $0, such as a comic line, or a collab (like the possible one with UNIB you're doing).

Where did you get the idea that we are looking to throw money at something like that? Or that we even have that money to throw around to begin with?

As I explained earlier in this post, since sometime in July we now receive a cut of sales of the game, so our revenue isn't $0. I don't understand where you got the idea that we don't have ideas on how to increase revenue beyond where it is, though.

Lab Zero hasn't worked on other side projects because WE HAVEN'T FINISHED OUR INDIEGOGO STUFF YET.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
Also, I can't help but wonder if Mike and Alex hired a good accountant before they started the Indiegogo campaign. Yes, I just complained about your release of merch before reaching stretch goals, but the difference is that you focused on the wrong part of the world.

Except we aren't releasing merch before reaching stretch goals. Even the EightySixed shirts you see for sale every week ARE NOT DONE BY US. Those are possible because EightySixed has a contract with our publisher, Autumn Games, to make Skullgirls shirts. That's it. It has nothing to do with us.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
I'd say go for it about the arcade and figures in Japan... If Lab Zero was in Japan! You're based in Los Angeles, last I checked, so do something in the U.S.! Facebook and Twitter work great, if you already have a massive following. Since you (sadly) don't, you need to grab people's interest more!

Like what? I'm eager to hear your suggestions. I expect you think we've come up with absolutely zero ideas (ha!). But also, NEWS FLASH, we can't really devote time to other things because we are busy finishing our Indiegogo obligations.

Also, as I said, the arcade port isn't being handled by us. That is largely done by a third party. We do provide support to them, and sometimes have to step in to do work for it, but it's not like we are doing it to the detriment of our development on our Indiegogo obligations.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
(and who's this Mane6 you gave the Z Engine to? I can't find a thing on them!)

Are you serious? You are outright bullshitting on this one. A simple Google search will take you to their homepage, and information on us providing them the Z Engine is pretty easy to find.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
The main thing that sells Skullgirls is the personality/art of the game, mixed with the balanced gameplay. That's what reeled ME in! The problem with that is that you can't sell with JUST personality and balance. You need a unique work, plus good timing. I realized that all Skullgirls does is recycle everything we know about fighting games, it doesn't do anything new. I've found that every successful fighter has SOMETHING of its own. Street Fighter III has Parrys, SFIV has Ultra Combos, MVC3 has X-Factor (well, Simon thought that up first...) Guilty Gear has Critical Hits, Smash Bros. has Damage Percentage... the list goes on. I love Skullgirls, but it doesn't bring much to the table in that department. All I can think of is Nadia's head, (I may have missed a game, I don't play EVERYTHING) but that's not something you can market, is it? Also, the timing's been less than optimal. Encore released around the same time as Street Fighter IV's newest version. If you're a kid in toys R us with his mom, picking out a present, what'll it be: the fighter everyone knows and loves, or that new thing with the nurse.... cover your eyes, Timmy!
You didn't even have THAT advantage because Skullgirls is download only, so recomendations for it are mostly by mouth.

Oh, Skullgirls doesn't do anything new? It doesn't do custom assists, or have an infinite protection system, or have the highest-resolution 2D art of any fighting game ever, or have incredibly unique and memorable character designs, or have tutorials that teach you fighting game concepts and skills instead of just a handful of combos, or have stellar music by Michiru Yamane? Sorry, you're wrong. Skullgirls does more than recycle everything we know about fighting games.

Skullgirlfanboy said:
From the moment I saw this game, I though: "Wow! this looks cool! the characters remind me of Darkstalkers! Wait a minute..." That sums up how your company's going.

Could you elaborate a little bit more? How exactly is our company going?

Skullgirlfanboy said:
So PLEASE, Lab Zero! Think things out a bit more carefully, and even though your budget's $0, money can come in always, if you want it. Also, YES, play the lottery, even! There are people who make thousands playing professionally, and I think it helps any business! It wouldn't hurt to delay some DLC to garner some attention from casual players, and I think any player on this forum worth listening to will agree with my logic.

I can't believe you seriously just suggested we "play the lottery." You know playing the lottery is a waste of money, right? You want us to be more careful with our money, yet you think we should use some of it to bet on a game that is statistically disadvantageous to every single person that participates?

And I don't think delaying DLC helps to garner any attention from casual players. On the contrary, DLC should be frequent and fast to garner attention from casual players. Delaying DLC will only draw the ire of those who aren't casual, whereas casuals will continue to not give a shit until you have something to offer them.

The longer we take to release DLC, the less our Indiegogo money is worth. I'm sure you realize that, though.

Or you could be like this:

View attachment 6088

Your choice.

Stop conflating Lab Zero's business approach with a vocal minority of the Skullgirls community.

For a while, it just sounded like some people just wanted there fav youbers to play the game. Besides, how many people would really buy the game cause some hack on youtube played it.

Render is one of the sweetest & most tactful people I know and it's a shame that as a Labzero employee and handling PR, for the sake of informing the public he has to entertain the ramblings of either the biggest dipshit in the SGC or a troll with far too much time on their hands.

Stop conflating Lab Zero's business approach with a vocal minority of the Skullgirls community.

I apologize on behalf of the entire SG community for Skullgirlfanboy's comment because honestly, I have never felt like LabZero has done anything but really try to keep Skullgirls alive and even increase the community with amazing people.

I personally think Skullgirlfanboy is like ten and hasn't had his nap yet.

Yeah what Shin Atproof said. Render is a fantastic person, he shouldn't have to deal with things like this. Dapurplesharpie is also fantastic and shouldn't have to apologize for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
Wow, I didn't expect things to turn out like this. Zounds...good on ya for your patience and candor, Render.

Hmm. I'm guessing after this little awkward episode, the thread may be due for a paddlin'...err...closing. I think it's outlived it's usefulness.

Reactions: OptimalZ16
You would be very
very
very
very
very surprised.
What would stop them from pirateing it?
We need a way to make people care about supporting it.

What would stop them from pirateing it?
We need a way to make people care about supporting it.
Pirating skullgirls is dumb as fuck because you can't go online which defeats like 99% of the purpose of the game. If someone pirates it and genuinely likes the game it's extremely likely that they will buy it later if possible in their country because at that point they finish all the story modes and they're like "well shit what now?"
But for reference on the impact of internet personalities:
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/totalbiscuit-changed-my-life-says-thomas-was-alone-developer/

I'm not saying getting some (more) famous youtubers to do a video or two on skullgirls is going to make L0 a bajillion dollars, though, since they've actually had pretty good visibility all things considered. I suppose the big problem isn't that they didn't sell enough, it's that the vast majority of their sales were before they had the legal superpower of making actual money off the game. Getting more sales couldn't hurt, but it's already sold quite a bit for being a fighting game that wasn't made by capcom and an awful lot of the people who are going to genuinely enjoy this game already have it.