• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Generically Named Thread Where We Come Up With Ways To Help Skullgirls

If we need to find a way to help L0 and Skullgirls, we should know that it isn't MONEY. NOT AT ALL.
  1. L0 never, ever wants to do another IGG, Kickstarter, Paypal, or any other donation campaign again. They put their "hand on the bible" for that.
  2. We can't buy a bunch of copies of the same game because L0 will make little money off of it.
  3. Whatever money they're getting from Eightysixed is not known, but I feel its not enough.
The way to help L0 and Skullgirls grow is to make the fanbase grow, grow in popularity, grow and grow 'till someone large and in charge gets interested.
GUYS.
I GOT THE GO AHEAD!

Well kind of. I presented my proposal and they weren't opposed. I just have to draw up a price cost list and marketing plan for them to see next week and the final decision will be made! Say it with me folks: "Skullgirls curse, go away, come again no other day"
Horseman's right in that this really does helps. People get to see what Skullgirls is when they walk into that restaurant. Even better is the idea that any restaurant has is a random amount of customers, so the word may spread like a wild fire. The solution for now is simply tell your friends, tell your wife, tell your kids, tell your teacher, tell the police officer, tell anyone!

1. License Skullgirls to be made into an anime or a western cartoon series.
2. Isn't Filia appearing in Sleep Under birth (not sure of name)? If possible get more guest appearances with SG characters, especially in games that have huge fanbases.
3. I like the documentary idea listed earlier.
4. Find out if there are any celebrities who play/purchased the game. Ask them to promote it.
5. Release the game in various poorer countries that many video games don't make it to.

Something that might give us a very definitive answer to our problem...

Yeh, I watched that already and thought deeply about that, and I'm not entirely sure how to make it work.

It's not a genre I see him playing anytime soon anyway.

I'm just looking at the thumbnail and that is the face of a man who could use a smack or something.

Reactions: alexpi and Denizen
I was kinda on the edge of Pew anyway, but the most interesting part of the video to me was how MatPat showed that list from innovators to laggards, and I feel Skullgirls is in the Early Minority stage (or whatever is the third-stage since I can't watch Youtube at school), so there should be consumer catalysts to get the ball rolling, kinda like Max, but with an even larger impact.

Last edited:
I was kinda on the edge of Pew anyway, but the most interesting part of the video to me was how MatPat showed that list from innovators to laggards, and I feel Skullgirls is in the Early Minority stage (or whatever is the third-stage since I can't watch Youtube at school), so there should be consumer catalysts to get the ball rolling, kinda like Max, but with an even larger impact.

Good use of marketing term, Aeon knows we need good marketing strategies. Right now, I'd say SG is still at the growth stage in the product life cycle albeit stunted due to poor funding. Having a cartoon show on adult swim would give it good publicity seeing that it's the viable audience (late night teens and young adults) to pick up the game.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Because a cartoon is totally in LZ's budget at the moment.

What about having some promotional flash toons done in some sort of collab fashion? Like what Jaxxy did with the RoboFortune animation during the funding process? There's several talented people who enjoy skullgirls, putting things together and having it on youtube, newgrounds or something may get a buzz going.

What about having some promotional flash toons done in some sort of collab fashion? Like what Jaxxy did with the RoboFortune animation during the funding process? There's several talented people who enjoy skullgirls, putting things together and having it on youtube, newgrounds or something may get a buzz going.
I almost want to say let's make an educational one with how the game is played?
Like How to Filia and junk, so I guess we can mix gameplay and animation.

Web cartoons are cheap to make

Remember "Angry Dad?"

I'd rather they go the route of a comic (web or print) if they want to spread SG media beyond the game. A quick inital 4 issue run like those SF Legend Comics Udon put out back in the day shouldn't be too expensive I would think.

Web cartoons are cheap to make
Well, I guess if Lab Zero would release a cartoon of its own, it would carry a bit more of, uh, quality.

Still, the Bin Laden bit made me chuckle and reminded me of the classic frog in the blender from fifty years ago or so.

This is basically what I want to happen with this as well, I've seen some good stuff, including the Robo-Fortune animation, and I think it'd be awesome to see what would happen with it.

What does L0 still own the rights to?
If it owns the rights to the digital art compendium it could sell that and reap a little more profit. Would you buy it?
How much would you pay?
and what about the soundtrack, who owns that?

There must be something we can do with twitter, instagram, facebook etc get #InvestorsForSkullgirls trending or something.

Alternatively, could we the fans set up an IGG to be angel investors to do something crazy like purchase the IP for L0?

/blue sky thinking

What does L0 still own the rights to?
If it owns the rights to the digital art compendium it could sell that and reap a little more profit. Would you buy it?
How much would you pay?
and what about the soundtrack, who owns that?

There must be something we can do with twitter, instagram, facebook etc get #InvestorsForSkullgirls trending or something.

Alternatively, could we the fans set up an IGG to be angel investors to do something crazy like purchase the IP for L0?

/blue sky thinking
We should really slow our roll for finding people who want to invest in Skullgirls. That's a job for L0.
They won't EVER do another IGG or KS again.
I don't know who owns the OST.
I don't know what L0 still has in ownership.
I don't really know about the art compendium too much, so I can't comment there.

All we can do as fans for now is tell everyone we know about Skullgirls and get it into a different stage of fame person by person.

Going to preface this by saying that I hate game theory. Some of his videos spread bunk game design theory, particularly his "why do we play games" video, so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.
Something that might give us a very definitive answer to our problem...
You're solving the wrong problem.
He's right (to a degree, he makes it sound like this is the only method of trend setting and that this is the sole reason that the wii u is failing) but this isn't skullgirl's problem. Right now, skullgirls is at about the greatest popularity a medium budget overtly sexualized competitive 2d fighting game is going to be. Skullgirls isn't too obscure, it's reached the vast majority of its potential fanbase and a bunch of people who wouldn't normally be into this stuff too, it's never going to be the game that everyone and their mother plays because it's not nearly that accessible and that's perfectly fine. There's just this massive problem with it- lab zero isn't seeing much of the money from it. There's your big financial crisis for skullgirls.

Going to preface this by saying that I hate game theory. Some of his videos spread bunk game design theory, particularly his "why do we play games" video, so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

He's right (to a degree, he makes it sound like this is the only method of trend setting and that this is the sole reason that the wii u is failing) but this isn't skullgirl's problem. Right now, skullgirls is at about the greatest popularity a medium budget overtly sexualized competitive 2d fighting game is going to be. Skullgirls isn't too obscure, it's reached the vast majority of its potential fanbase and a bunch of people who wouldn't normally be into this stuff too, it's never going to be the game that everyone and their mother plays because it's not nearly that accessible and that's perfectly fine. There's just this massive problem with it- lab zero isn't seeing much of the money from it. There's your big financial crisis for skullgirls.

I'll agree with you saying that Labzero not making enough money is a problem but I don't think Skullgirls has hit it's cap growth wise. A poll was taken around the time of the Indiegogo and I can't remember the details down to the number but it basically revealed that the majority of Skullgirls support comes from people who like Alex Ahad's style or people interested in the characters or story so one and so forth. But Skullgirls has plenty of room amongst the FGC. I wont bore anyone with a history lesson but we are currently in a reassurance of fighting games something I'm sure mike z took note of with the release of Skullgirls.

Different fighting games benefit from different things to gain popularity. I'll list what I believe to be these games biggest selling points from most to least.

History, being how long a franchise has been around and how recognizable the brand is.
Characters, being who the characters are and how much people like them
Community, the people that surround the game
Game mechanics, how easy a game is to pick up and play and how much effort needs to be put into being good at the game.
IP backed, is the owner of the game push it to be great with marketing, tournaments and what not.

Street fighter/ History, Characters, Community, Game mechanics, IP backed.

Marvel vs Capcom/ Characters, Community, History, IP backed, Game mechanics

Smashbros/ (Characters,can't stress this enough), Game mechanics, Community, History

Blaze/ (Characters, this is mostly JP), Game mechanics, Community, History, Ip backed, again mostly in JP)

Injustice/ Characters, IP backed, Community, Game mechanics

Killer Instinct/ IP backed, Community, History

KOF, Game mechanics, History, characters, community

Skullgirls/ (Community, Characters, (IP backed,lab zero is very vocal), Game mechanics.

I think two things can be done to build popularity.The first is to advertise the game as an anime fighter (which we already kinda do with rebel up). Lab zero has to focus on a Japanese market. If it's possible put cabinets in Japanese arcades do whatever works when it comes to the marketing of Japaneses anime fighting games. Typically the Japanese want nothing to do with american fighting games but SG is american anime.

Second and this is something we can do as americans (some might hate to hear this)
get Justin Wong, Chris G, Filipino champ, IFC Yipes, and so on to pay even a little attention to this game. these people are practically celebrities of the FGC. People watch and pay attention to the things they do and more over most of them have given SG a shot at one point, why? Because SG was made to play like MVC2 where a lot of these guys got their start. If we can somehow convice these guys to join any SG tourney they come across or stream this game more of the FGC crowd will get on the band wagon.

The entire second Renaissance of the FGC has been a bad wagon. Not sure if anyone remembers this but. A lot of people did not like the way MVC2 played when it first came out. but the right people kept playing it, look at it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolster2nite
I'll agree with you saying that Labzero not making enough money is a problem but I don't think Skullgirls has hit it's cap growth wise. A poll was taken around the time of the Indiegogo and I can't remember the details down to the number but it basically revealed that the majority of Skullgirls support comes from people who like Alex Ahad's style or people interested in the characters or story so one and so forth. But this can has pleantly of room

That's a rather small market appeal at this point. The best solution would be to get more of the established fanbases from Capcom and Namco. There's plenty of opportunity for that after the bad publicity from USF4 with all the Decapre hype, Skullgirls made a pretty clever response with Fukua.

Our best bet would be to have more tournaments widespread meaning where there's SF4 and MvC3 Skullgirls should be advertised as well. Seeing that it lacks popularity compared to its benchmarks, it should be presented casually in its initial stages by spectators and competitors alike. As the community in local and national tournaments spark interest in the game, popular demand should allow them a slot in tourneys, giving them good publicity to be taken into consideration by angel investors and eventually a publisher for the developers to have financial stability.

I'll agree with you saying that Labzero not making enough money is a problem but I don't think Skullgirls has hit it's cap growth wise. A poll was taken around the time of the Indiegogo and I can't remember the details down to the number but it basically revealed that the majority of Skullgirls support comes from people who like Alex Ahad's style or people interested in the characters or story so one and so forth. But this can has pleantly of room
I'm not saying that it hit its theoretical cap, but it's by no means unpopular and sales in general are not the problem- the cut lab zero gets is the problem- in fact I think mike has said that pretty directly before.
Remember that most of the people in the "tumblr fans" group still buy the game, it's perfectly fine to have a bunch of casual players. Do you think Smash Bros. Melee would have sold even half as many copies if only the competitive community had bought it?

That's a rather small market appeal at this point. The best solution would be to get more of the established fanbases from Capcom and Namco. There's plenty of opportunity for that after the bad publicity from USF4 with all the Decapre hype, Skullgirls made a pretty clever response with Fukua.

Our best bet would be to have more tournaments widespread meaning where there's SF4 and MvC3 Skullgirls should be advertised as well. Seeing that it lacks popularity compared to its benchmarks, it should be presented casually in its initial stages by spectators and competitors alike. As the community in local and national tournaments spark interest in the game, popular demand should allow them a slot in tourneys, giving them good publicity to be taken into consideration by angel investors and eventually a publisher for the developers to have financial stability.

I honestly don't think that's going to happen. Like any fighting game, the fanbase is bigger than the competitive fighting crowd.

Of course players should always want to spread the competitive scene but I don't think that's the path to more funding.

So the answer to the problem of L0 isn't ever the one we'll find. They have to find the solution their selves. They may need a new publisher. Now I get it, Mike did say he wanted a publisher for the PS4 version of Skullgirls.
Publishers:
Devolver Digital
http://www.devolverdigital.com/games/page/

• Famous for publishing weird games
  • Great at publicity
  • Should have enough money (they have published 20 hour long fps which I think wouldn't have a smaller required budget than what the Skullgirls devs are looking for)
Devolver Digital could be the real answer, so we could sit back and relax, knowing Skullgirls is famous, most love Skullgirls and all they need is some profits.
I'm pretty sure that suit is over, but Autumn's still toxic.
What would the suit bring L0 and Autumn though if its over?

Last edited:
Reactions: lolster2nite
If people would be willing, we could probably get L0 some profit from either a couple of novels or a pen-and-paper rpg.

If people would be willing, we could probably get L0 some profit from either a couple of novels or a pen-and-paper rpg.

If you've got some business ideas for SG licensing, you should run it by Render and/or Ravid and/or Alex.

I'd buy the shit out of an SG e-book.

Reactions: Shockdingo
@Clawsome Bombs How goes the TV stream?

I'm fighting very hard for it.

My other boss just got wind of the idea and says it might be a hassle to run even I SAID IN THE DAMN POWERPOINT PRESENTATION that I would advertise and promote through here on Skullheart. Plus it's the summer now and the only reason they even considered it, I found out, is because we had no business on Mondays. Now we do have it because warm weather so the stream's importance dwindles.

Plus he thinks the FGC is full of 10 year olds and he doesn't want "a bunch of kids" in the back playing vidya gamez.
He has like zero experience with the stuff so I can't blame him, but I'm trying to convince him that most of us are in our 20s to 30s (might even be some 40s) and despite what he thinks we are a pretty respectful bunch. This is a battle I won't easily give up on.

trying so hard not to get fired over this....

I'm fighting very hard for it.

My other boss just got wind of the idea and says it might be a hassle to run even I SAID IN THE DAMN POWERPOINT PRESENTATION that I would advertise and promote through here on Skullheart. Plus it's the summer now and the only reason they even considered it, I found out, is because we had no business on Mondays. Now we do have it because warm weather so the stream's importance dwindles.

Plus he thinks the FGC is full of 10 year olds and he doesn't want "a bunch of kids" in the back playing vidya gamez.
He has like zero experience with the stuff so I can't blame him, but I'm trying to convince him that most of us are in our 20s to 30s (might even be some 40s) and despite what he thinks we are a pretty respectful bunch. This is a battle I won't easily give up on.

trying so hard not to get fired over this....

I'd probably drop it. Its not as if you'd get many people showing up to watch Skullgirls anyway. If it was a bigger game like Streetfighter you'd have more of a chance to have it work out.

I applaud your effort though.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Yeah, I guess you're right...

a dishwasher can only do so much you guys D:

If 1000 people each donated $1000 to lab zero, then lab zero can get $1million to make more characters.
the same can be done if 500 people can donate $2000 each, or 100 people each donate $10,000, or if 10,000 people each donate $100.
If eveyone can somehow save up to $1000 dollars by the time lab zero is finished with robo-forfune and donate it all to them than plan can possibly work.

What could possibly go wrong.

Dude, I'm poor, but I'd be totally willing just to donate anything I could hehe, just can't spare $1000. I'm not sure if this has been covered, but can Lab Zero make a profit if they did little extras and such like the compendium and sold them or do the profits go elswhere? It would be cool if we could get Josh Tomar and Jaxxy, plus their pals like Zone (or even the voice actresses) to headline some collaboration of artists as part of a donation drive or something for Lab Zero. No fandom dividing waifu wars, but just a donate what you can type deal, or push for something big and get funds to get a new publisher? My ideas are a bit muddled, but going through the art/flash animation direction may get attention and support. There has to be something we as a community can do.

No-one here happens to be an aspiring poet, do they?

I just want the compendium. I'd give like 100 bucks for that shit.

Step 1: Cover the entirety of your bedroom in Skullgirls merch
Step 2: Murder several people
Step 3: Get caught
Step 4: Wait for mainstream media to come across your den of video game nightmares and blame Skullgirls for the killings, Skullgirls achieves commercial success thanks to the not-really scandal
Step 5: Victory

But Skullgirls merchandise is invisible to the average person