• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Little Mac Gameplay Gifs!
8asgFKl.gif

fg7GNo7.gif

Ivp9z9X.gif

fNE3q9Y.gif

s9KOKDo.gif

DTEaeDe.gif

aOpqoQW.gif

ShQcHEj.gif

rMRWqLI.gif

Reactions: Jutsei
Also, it's interesting to note that Little Mac is more than your average retro rep, he's repping an arcade game. His KO Meter comes right from Punch-Out!! Arcade. It's a part of Nintendo's history that isn't brought up much.

punch-out_arcade.jpg

It seems like I was right about his roll being made for countering. Cool.
Also, it seems like doc brown might have some starfox/snake style dialogue.

Also, it's interesting to note that Little Mac is more than your average retro rep, he's repping an arcade game. His KO Meter comes right from Punch-Out!! Arcade. It's a part of Nintendo's history that isn't brought up much.
The problem being that little mac didn't appear in the arcade version. Little mac was created because the NES couldn't handle transparency, they made the protagonist super short so that you could see your opponent.

Hmm. I guess that's sorta true.

The way I see it, Little Mac is an amalgam of all Punch-Out main characters. Design of the Wii, meter of the arcade with the color scheme of Super, and moves from all versions

I wouldn't be surprised if one of his moves references Arm Wrestling, the Punch-Out spin off.

953286-aw_1_1.jpg

Actually that meter was in Super Punch Out!! too, which is what I'm guessing it's making a homage to.

For the record, said meter increases the more times Mac successfully hits the opponent, and decreases every time he gets hit. I wonder if the meter here will work like that...

Reactions: Jutsei
Well, people's thoughts on it being a simple charge move a la Samus' charge shot was proved wrong by watching the trailer and seeing Bowser's % jump from 30 to 200, meaning Mac must have been fighting the entire time. So yeah. Interesting concept!

FUCK YEAH, LITTLE MAC!!!
FUCK YEAH, WITH THE WII DESIGN!!!

...But, can we still have Punch U Out? :p

IIIIII'LL JUST LET THIS HEEEEREEEE

seems like the smash equivalent of a heavy rushdown character (shen woo?)

still, with the armor, he can be an advanced character to use. you'll have to make use of your opponent's moves to stay on the ground and dealing damage

The armour is freaking intense. Those are some powerful attacks that he's powering through. I'll be interested to see how this develops in the smash community. Because Olimar and ICs are top tier in Brawl but have literally the worst recoveries ever so who knows.

Super Smash Bros. Analysis: Little Mac Trailer (Secrets & Hidden Details - Wii U & 3DS)

The Super Punch-Out theory makes sense for his KO bar. I just played that last night.

My guess is that he charges it by holding his neutral B AND not being touched, but it slowly goes down over time and in faster chunks when hit. Notice how during the trailer it starts going up when he's charging, but then stops when he takes damage, and starts going up again while still charging but not taking damage.

Concerning armor, It may be infinite(though it probably just has a few hits of armor), but vulnerable to throws during the dashing and charge segments. And it most likely resets when he loses a stock.

My one real question is "does he have armor during the active frames of his KO punch?"
If he doesnt then it can be beat or traded with (Double KO during Little Mac mirrors )

Concerning armor, It may be infinite(though it probably just has a few hits of armor), but vulnerable to throws during the dashing and charge segments. And it most likely resets when he loses a stock.

My one real question is "does he have armor during the active frames of his KO punch?"
If he doesnt then it can be beat or traded with (Double KO during Little Mac mirrors )

Infinite armour? Are you on something? That's a horrible game design idea. It looks like it works the same as Ike's Aether super armour (During frames x and y of said move, character has super armour) only applied to what seems to be half his arsenal of attacks.

I can imagine he gets armour during the actual part where it physically connects while being vulnerable to attacks before and after (assuming he misses) he goes for the swipe. I feel that would be the best way to balance that sort of power.

Infinite armour? Are you on something? That's a horrible game design idea. It looks like it works the same as Ike's Aether super armour (During frames x and y of said move, character has super armour) only applied to what seems to be half his arsenal of attacks.

I can imagine he gets armour during the actual part where it physically connects while being vulnerable to attacks before and after (assuming he misses) he goes for the swipe. I feel that would be the best way to balance that sort of power.
No, I'm not on anything. Just listing possibilities. But Hyper armor is nothing new (cerebella) and is only bad game design if nothing practical can be done about. In this case, hitting Little Mac not only increases his damage, but also stops and/reduces his charge, thus making it less likely/impossible to KO with that move. Add throws (that can be done out of block in smash) which generally beat armored moves, would further reduce his charge, and actually have KO and gimping potential (Macs crappy recovery and probably low weight) into the mix and it doesnt sound any where near as broken.

That being said, I did say that he'd probably just get a few frames or hits of armor. And I doubt he has armor or projectile invincibility during the active frames.

EDIT: it may change later, but in the trailer he takes damage from bowser while charging, but he didnt stop.

Are you guys sure it stops him charging or reduces his charge? He might just take a ridiculously long time to charge up the KO punch.

Are you guys sure it stops him charging or reduces his charge? He might just take a ridiculously long time to charge up the KO punch.
I like the idea that he needs to land a lot of hits and also not get hit for tit o become full K.O.
That's how it was in Super Punch-Out

Yah. Check the trailer. It starts going up when he begins his charge, then stops when he's his by Bowser, then starts going up again after a moment of not taking damage....all on one charge. That being said, the game isnt out yet and it can easily change.

And then, it goes from near nothing to full in 1 second. It's probably only a proof of concept right now.

No, I'm not on anything. Just listing possibilities. But Hyper armor is nothing new (cerebella) and is only bad game design if nothing practical can be done about. In this case, hitting Little Mac not only increases his damage, but also stops and/reduces his charge, thus making it less likely/impossible to KO with that move. Add throws (that can be done out of block in smash) which generally beat armored moves, would further reduce his charge, and actually have KO and gimping potential (Macs crappy recovery and probably low weight) into the mix and it doesnt sound any where near as broken.

That being said, I did say that he'd probably just get a few frames or hits of armor. And I doubt he has armor or projectile invincibility during the active frames.

EDIT: it may change later, but in the trailer he takes damage from bowser while charging, but he didnt stop.

There's a a difference between super armour (Immune to knockback but takes damage (ex Ike's aether, Giga Bowser)), heavy armour (immune to knockback up to a certain percentage (ex able to tank hits 7% or lower)), and hyper armour (super but with a limit at a specific number of hits (ex what you're talking about)). So when you said infinite armour I was confused because that sounds REALLY BAD lol. Sounded like it would be on ALL THE TIME and he would only take knockback from throws which is ludicrous. Glad that's cleared up.

Keep in mind that Meta Knight and Olimar are in the bottom quarter weightclass and are top tier so weight really isn't a major contributor in determining potential as a good character. In fact, the heavier characters are lower in the tiers because they're so easy to juggle and take longer to be able to DI to safety. Little Mac has that going for him.

And nowhere did you mention frames. Even in your quote there is no mention of frames. (And to respond to the last bit, yes, that is what super armour is)

And nowhere did you mention frames. Even in your quote there is no mention of frames. (And to respond to the last bit, yes, that is what super armour is)
Yeah, I did. You even quoted it yourself. It may have been worded poorly, though.

But concerning Olimar and Metaknight, those two also have good air control and good recovery: Metaknight has 5 jumps, shuttle loop->glide, glide after jumps, tornado, drill, his teleport, and great air normals; Olimar had air projectiles(pic min), decent air normals, and an up b that acted as a pretty good recovery tool and as a great anti-air. Little Mac seems to suck in the air, but his ground game looks like it's going to be sick. He probably will wreck the heavy weights.....which actually fits his character perfectly.

And then, it goes from near nothing to full in 1 second. It's probably only a proof of concept right now.

Bowser also goes from 50 to 230 in the same time frame.
It could be the video's sped up to show the increase in meter practically as opposed to realistically.

Reactions: Covenant
Bowser also goes from 50 to 230 in the same time frame.
It could be the video's sped up to show the increase in meter practically as opposed to realistically.
I had similar thoughts, though I think a large portion of of that damage came from getting Little Smacked (I'm making that a thing)

Yeah, I did. You even quoted it yourself. It may have been worded poorly, though.

But concerning Olimar and Metaknight, those two also have good air control and good recovery: Metaknight has 5 jumps, shuttle loop->glide, glide after jumps, tornado, drill, his teleport, and great air normals; Olimar had air projectiles(pic min), decent air normals, and an up b that acted as a pretty good recovery tool and as a great anti-air. Little Mac seems to suck in the air, but his ground game looks like it's going to be sick. He probably will wreck the heavy weights.....which actually fits his character perfectly.
You quoted me, but you didn't say anything about frames. It just mentions hits.

And Olimar's recovery is god awful... The edge-hogging ruins him.

You quoted me, but you didn't say anything about frames. It just mentions hits.

And Olimar's recovery is god awful... The edge-hogging ruins him.
Again...eh?
My entire post was about that move. I talked about both armor and frames.

Hmm, between a low to the ground dash so stuff flies over him and a side B that either ignores projectiles or gives invincibility frames, sounds like Zangief's been telling Mac ghost stories about projectiles.

Reactions: jam1220
im still surprised how Game Grumps called it

im still surprised how Game Grumps called it
Was little mac that unpredictable? I had him on my "practically guaranteed to be playable" list...
Can't see king hippo getting in, though.

Was little mac that unpredictable? I had him on my "practically guaranteed to be playable" list...
Can't see king hippo getting in, though.
no but nobody thought he would be announced now

no but nobody thought he would be announced now
a lot of people did want Mac to be in since he was an assist trophy in brawl though.

At least the NES one looks good.

Reactions: DDB
Snes Mac reminds me of dbz trunks... No idea why