• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I meant a NEW Kirby stage. I'm glad the Halberd's back as a past stage but I still want a badass stage based off of Kirby's Epic Yarn or Return to Dreamland.
Watch us get a Green Greens again with a different layout.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
So I was listening to this with all this snow:

And I was thinking if there was an Epic Yarn stage, a cool thing could be if some platforms or walls had that little button where you would pull it and it would come apart. Apply the same thing to some stage hazards and you got one fun stage.

I do want an Epic Yarn stage. There'd be a lot of cool stuff that could happen on it.

Imagine if like, the stage can be sewn together if you hit a button, or characters with sharp stuff can cut strings. There's a lot of potential.

And it would look hella ballin' dawg

Epic Yarn stage please

also the item is called the Super Leaf
Raccoon Mario is called Tail Mario in japan
Tanooki Mario is completely different

you come to class you gonna get schooled, son
They're both tanukis. Tail mario is a regular tanuki power up. The actual tanooki suit is the benevolent good luck spirit version of the tanuki, also known as the one with the massive balls. He can turn into a statue because those tanukis are often statues outside of temples.
Raccoon mario is an incorrect translation that caught on after super mario bros 3, so they went with it.

So, who else thinks that Dixie is highly likely as a newcomer? I mean she's been a significant main character/sidekick in the Returns games and especially the recent Tropical Freeze. I'd give it a 90% chance.

I think she's probable based only on how popular she is but I don't think anything as high as 90% because I can't for the life of me figure out what her moveset would be.
Because unless I'm missing something aside from her helicopter hair she's not at all very different from Diddy. And I just don't know how they'd make a cool moveset around her.

Didn't helicopter hair belong to Tiny Kong?

So, who else thinks that Dixie is highly likely as a newcomer? I mean she's been a significant main character/sidekick in the Returns games and especially the recent Tropical Freeze. I'd give it a 90% chance.
I'd give it a pretty high chance too. Maybe not 90% but pretty high.
The DK country franchise has expanded a ton since brawl, so they completely deserve a new character- dixie being the most likely, and most logical really (king k rool isn't in the new ones so I would be pretty surprised if he made it in.)

I think she's probable based only on how popular she is but I don't think anything as high as 90% because I can't for the life of me figure out what her moveset would be.
Because unless I'm missing something aside from her helicopter hair she's not at all very different from Diddy. And I just don't know how they'd make a cool moveset around her.
She can also use her hair as a weapon. So she's basically monkey millia. That's at least every normal and a special or two right there. She also plays the electric guitar. I think they can make her work pretty well.
After all, not everyone can fit into the smash bros systems as well as simon belmont.
(also alucard assist trophy plz sakurai)

Didn't helicopter hair belong to Tiny Kong?
Both of them do.
They're sisters.

To be fair, nobody likes our hairgirl.

Unless yer talkin' Fukua.

I forgot that they were sisters... then why did Tiny go from super small to super tall with boobs? Isn't Dixie supposed to be the older one?

We of the DK community don't speak of Tiny.

I am so sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Well geez, I didn't realize I was required to reference the skullgirls character over the character that obviously inspired her.
Plus, if I said Filia instead it would have ruined the alliteration.

I forgot that they were sisters... then why did Tiny go from super small to super tall with boobs? Isn't Dixie supposed to be the older one?
Who even fucking knows?
Make up a head cannon. Maybe dixie explored space for a year or two at light speed and didn't account for relativity.

K.

Dixie never hit puberty.

Well geez, I didn't realize I was required to reference the skullgirls character over the character that obviously inspired her.
Sorry, I honestly thought you just misspelled Filia (on Skullheart, no less). What a coincidence that two characters with similar names would both have hair based abilities.

Actually, nobody's sure who came first: Filia or Millia. Both of their original designs date back to the early 2000's.

90% is a bit high, I honestly wouldn't give anyone over 80%. I also don't view Dixie as very likely, but at the same time she's certainly not off the table.

Here's how I see newcomers likelihood from most likely to least likely (not representative of what I want to happen):
1. Palutena (~80%)
2. Mii (~75%)
3. Pac-Man (~55%)
4. Shulk (~50%)
5. Chrom (~40%)
6. Dixie OR K Rool (~20%)
7. Ridley (~10%)
8. Random Retro Rep? (~9%)
8. Mewtwo (~8%)
9. Chorus Men (~5%)
11. Lucina (~2%)
12. Ghirahim (~1%)

And that's all I can think of for realistic possibilities.

I haven't played the DK games so I might be wrong, but isn't that Candy Kong not Tiny Kong?

I haven't played the DK games so I might be wrong, but isn't that Candy Kong not Tiny Kong?
tiny_kong.jpg

Left is dk64 tiny kong, right is the diddy kong racing ds redesign.

4. Shulk (~50%)
7. Ridley (~10%)
Well that's optimistic as fuck.
Also I assume Simon isn't on there because he's pretty much 100% so there's no use putting him on the list.
Right?
RIGHT?

tiny_kong.jpg

Left is dk64 tiny kong, right is the diddy kong racing ds redesign.

LOLWUT. Do they at least explain that she grew up or something? Cause the one on the right looks twice as old as the one on the left.

Well that's optimistic as fuck.
Also I assume Simon isn't on there because he's pretty much 100% so there's no use putting him on the list.
Right?
RIGHT?

I don't know who Simon is. I'm assuming if I haven't even heard of him, he must not be a very requested character.

As for the Ridley and Shulk, I see Shulk as very likely simply based off the fact that he starred in a highly rated Wii game (the fact that Xenoblade is on the Wii makes a difference), he's highly requested and his franchise is getting another installment on the Wii U. It would seem silly for them not to add him to the roster, about as silly as leaving out Little Mac after he got a Wii game.
Ridley is based off him probably being one of the most highly requested characters of the highly requested characters, being in a Wii game, and all of Sakurai's direct teasing. He's down to only 10% because there's a high chance Sakurai's most recent tease was actually a deconfirmation, but as I've stated before, I ain't buyin' it.

90% is a bit high, I honestly wouldn't give anyone over 80%. I also don't view Dixie as very likely, but at the same time she's certainly not off the table.

Here's how I see newcomers likelihood from most likely to least likely (not representative of what I want to happen):
1. Palutena (~80%)
2. Mii (~75%)
3. Pac-Man (~55%)
4. Shulk (~50%)
5. Chrom (~40%)
6. Dixie OR K Rool (~20%)
7. Ridley (~10%)
8. Random Retro Rep? (~9%)
8. Mewtwo (~8%)
9. Chorus Men (~5%)
11. Lucina (~2%)
12. Ghirahim (~1%)

Can I just add a few more onto that list?

13. Dark Pit (~40%)
14. Dillon (~5%)
15. Isaac (~15%)
16. Simon Belmont (~30%)

I have a couple songs i'd love to see in Smash so I guess i'll make my own list (I'm using the most recent versions where applicable for the best sound quality):

...Just noticed there are a lot of final boss themes in my list.

Oh man, I would love for them to have Pokey Means Business in Smash 4, assuming we get a Mother stage of course. It was one of the first pieces of music I modded into Brawl, and it is such good fight music.

I dont see the point of Simon Belmont when Nintendo has an IP with a chain wielding protagonist: Pandora's Tower.
Aeron would be perfect for this game.

Except that Simon Belmont is hugely recognizable and the protagonist of a widely popular and classic NES games, games that are largely associated with the NES itself, and I've never heard of either the character or game you just said.

Reactions: Horseman
I keep hearing about this Simon guy... just who is he?

Reactions: Rellek
Except that Simon Belmont is hugely recognizable and the protagonist of a widely popular and classic NES games, games that are largely associated with the NES itself, and I've never heard of either the character or game you just said.
Not to mention that saying that Simon would play just like aeron is downright silly.
The chain isn't even his primary weapon, he uses a fucking sword. Explain to me how this guy would play like simon.
Simon would have a bunch of whip normals and sub-weapon specials. This guy would have some chain grab/wrap specials and sword normals.

Simon belmont
Protagonist of the first two castlevania games
Killed dracula a bunch of times
Doesn't ring a bell?

*ahem*
Castlevania is a largely popular and ongoing series of video games developed by Konami about the vampire-slaying Belmont family and their never ending struggle against the vampire, Dracula. The most early of which were released on the NES and SNES associating the series heavily with Nintendo.
Simon Belmont was the protagonist of several of these games, including Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, and Super Castlevania 4. His main weapon was a whip that could be upgraded for greater length and strength, but he could also pick up a series of items such as throwing knives, axes, bottles of holy water, crucifixes with boomerang like properties, and clocks which could stop time.
Simon Belmont and Castlevania as a whole are popularly regarded as one of the faces of the NES along with Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Mega Man, Contra, and a few notable others.

Last edited:
No, my family had hardships growing up and I never got to play video games. Plus, when we did have games I only played Nintendo.

N64, Gamecube, etc.

Last edited:
So you've never heard of Operation Rainfall? You may not have heard of it, but plenty of others have and support it. Also, while it's a lot more likely to be recognized when your games have been around for decades, Pandora's Tower is a first party IP while Castlevania is third party. And seeing as how 3rd party reps are extremely limited I doubt Sakurai would trade Snake for Simon or have them both in, so, to me, Aeron just seems like the more likely choice of the two.

There are plenty of Nintendo focused 3rd party IP's, both in the distant past and recent, that are recognizable so why potentially add another Konami rep when you can either have a spiritually similar, but distinct character that's owned by Nintendo or simply add a 3rd party rep that isnt from Konami?

So you've never heard of Operation Rainfall? You may not have heard of it, but plenty of others have and support it. Also, while it's a lot more likely to be recognized when your games have been around for decades, Pandora's Tower is a first party IP while Castlevania is third party. And seeing as how 3rd party reps are extremely limited I doubt Sakurai would trade Snake for Simon or have them both in, so, to me, Aeron just seems like the more likely choice of the two.

There are plenty of Nintendo focused 3rd party IP's, both in the distant past and recent, that are recognizable so why potentially add another Konami rep when you can either have a spiritually similar, but distinct character that's owned by Nintendo or simply add a 3rd party rep that isnt from Konami?

I've heard of Operation Rainfall actually. But the name is as much as I know about it.
And Kojima's already said he's heard nothing about Snake's inclusion so the idea that another Konami rep, whether they were created to replace Snake or were simply made a character for other reasons while Snake wasn't, is entirely plausible.

But why add a only slightly recognizable 3rd party rep when you can add a character who is heavily associated with Nintendo's history and whom many people who played the NES would easily recognize.

And reading over the wikipedia article for this game (which I fully admit won't capture the full experience of the game) I don't see where this "Spiritual similarity" is coming from. I mean, guy uses a chain, which is kinda like a whip, but aside from that the game looks more akin to something like Shadow of the Colossus than the old (S)NES Castlevanias.

I've heard of Operation Rainfall actually. But the name is as much as I know about it.
And Kojima's already said he's heard nothing about Snake's inclusion so the idea that another Konami rep, whether they were created to replace Snake or were simply made a character for other reasons while Snake wasn't, is entirely plausible.

But why add a only slightly recognizable 3rd party rep when you can add a character who is heavily associated with Nintendo's history and whom many people who played the NES would easily recognize.

And reading over the wikipedia article for this game (which I fully admit won't capture the full experience of the game) I don't see where this "Spiritual similarity" is coming from. I mean, guy uses a chain, which is kinda like a whip, but aside from that the game looks more akin to something like Shadow of the Colossus than the old (S)NES Castlevanias.
Snake not getting is is plausible. I never said it wasnt. I just said I dont believe it's likely.

And again, there are plenty of recognizable 3rd party games so why Castlevania? Then again questions like asking why a less known/loved character would get in over a well known one is kinda pointless since we already have characters in this game and previous games that weren't very recognizable to many (Marth, Roy, G&W, Ness, Ice Climbers, Pit) or were from games that didnt do to well, but they still made it in over more recognizable characters. There's is a precedence for less known characters making the cut. There is a precedence for few 3rd parties making the cut and of the 3 known ones that made the cut between Brawl and Smash 4, one, the Konami rep, solely got in because of a friend's request.

Is it impossible for Simon to get in? Of course not. But he's already unlikely due to being 3rd party and, to me at least, even less likely due to having a similar Nintendo Owned counter part.

The spiritual similarity comes from a character using a whip like weapon and other equipeable items to traverse and backtrack through a puzzle like tower/castle. The base gameplay is similar, but the story and execution is very different, thus why I said spiritual similarities.

Snake not getting is is plausible. I never said it wasnt. I just said I dont believe it's likely.

And again, there are plenty of recognizable 3rd party games so why Castlevania? Then again questions like asking why a less known/loved character would get in over a well known one is kinda pointless since we already have characters in this game and previous games that weren't very recognizable to many (Marth, Roy, G&W, Ness, Ice Climbers, Pit) or were from games that didnt do to well, but they still made it in over more recognizable characters. There's is a precedence for less known characters making the cut. There is a precedence for few 3rd parties making the cut and of the 3 known ones that made the cut between Brawl and Smash 4, one, the Konami rep, solely got in because of a friend's request.

Is it impossible for Simon to get in? Of course not. But he's already unlikely due to being 3rd party and, to me at least, even less likely due to having a similar Nintendo Owned counter part.

The spiritual similarity comes from a character using a whip like weapon and other equipeable items to traverse and backtrack through a puzzle like tower/castle. The base gameplay is similar, but the story and execution is very different, thus why I said spiritual similarities.

So what you're basically saying is there's no way to gauge a character's chances for inclusion based on popularity (for the record I'm pretty sure Marth and Ness are popular in Japan) so at this point there's no use arguing which characters are likely cause it's really just a big toss up.
And saying there's a precedent for few 3rd party characters getting in is like saying there's a precedent for the second sword-using Fire Emblem lord to be swapped with a more recent one. It happened once and doesn't really identify any patterns.

Their main weapons are kinda sort similar. Okay. Kind of. One's a leather whip and the other's a mystical chain. But you kinda
do the same
stuff with 'em.
When you're hitting people.
It's also worth point out that the (S)NES Castlevanias, especially the one's starring Simon, didn't actually have any backtracking bar Simon's Quest. It was linear progression through a series of platforming and enemy-based challenges on a 2-dimensional plane.
And once again, based off of the gameplay trailer which most likely doesn't capture the full experience of the game I'm sure, the gameplay and combat looks more like something about of DMC or something, much more like a hack'n'slash then a platformer.

13. Dark Pit (~40%)
PFFFFT! That's actually funny. However I'd like to add my own character to this list as well.

17. Bowser Jr. (~0.05%)

There is an infinitely small chance Junior can make it it, but I believe in him! I'm rootin for ya buddy! As for Dixie's chances, I still rank it up there in the 80-90-ish percents. Think about it for a sec. I feel it in my bones that there will be a couple cuts in the transition to Sm4sh. And we can see there's ALREADY a fair amount of newcomers. Brawl had 39 characters, minus a couple (2-5) plus a healthy 11-13 newcomers and we get a cast in the mid to high 40s. With 11-13 newcomers, they can give an extra rep to each big series (Pokemon, Mario, DK, Zelda, FE, and possibly Kirby (Though he doesn't really need it)) and introduce new series reps with a single character (WFT, Megaman, Villager).

I feel like the rep cap for a series will end up being 6 for this game of which only 3 series will reach (Mario, Zelda and Pokemon). But that's my own personal speculation. It feels sound seeing as Brawl had 5 Zelda and 6 Pokemon.

Taco Belmont (~anti turkey%)

some NSFW language

Can I just add a few more onto that list?

13. Dark Pit (~40%)
14. Dillon (~5%)
15. Isaac (~15%)
16. Simon Belmont (~30%)

Oh Simon is Simon Belmont. Which I see more as 1% or less for being an out-of-left-field crazy unexpected character tbh.

And yes, I admit, I forgot things. Isaac is definitely possible, an e-shop rep could happen too, though it's unlikely. And Dark Pit is basically .000001% for me now considering how likely Palutena is. I'm also realizing I forgot Wonder Red, who would probably be like 15% or so for me.

I dont see the point of Simon Belmont when Nintendo has an IP with a chain wielding protagonist: Pandora's Tower.
Aeron would be perfect for this game.

Pretty sure Xenoblade is the only Operation Rainfall IP owned by Nintendo.

pretty sure xenoblade is the only project rainfall game that people care about too

Except of the 3 Operation Rainfall games, Pandora's Tower is considered by most to be the black sheep of the three. (Personally I think that belongs to The Last Story....) It's really not that talked about much and I don't think it made any significant sales. Plus XSeed was the company that brought it stateside so that might be a problem. No of the Operation Rainfall trilogy, Shulk from Xenoblade is the most likely to get in.

And yes, I admit, I forgot things. Isaac is definitely possible, an e-shop rep could happen too, though it's unlikely. And Dark Pit is basically .000001% for me now considering how likely Palutena is. I'm also realizing I forgot Wonder Red, who would probably be like 15% or so for me.

I dunno, I see no reason why both Palutena AND Dark Pit can't be in. If Toon Link is anything to go by, it's that Sakurai still isn't dropping clones and all they really need to do is copy Pit's model, give it a new texture map and just change the animations and sound bytes.

Of course if I were to put Dark Pit in, I would give him a completely different set of moves. I mean there's several dozen weapons in Uprising to use that could be implemented. Hell Dark Pit, like most of the game's bosses, actually has a weapon based off of him: The Dark Pit Staff. Let's have him use that as his primary weapon.

If anything I'd say Wonder Red is like the .0000001% one here. I'm sure Sakurai can make his whole Unite Morph gimmick work in Smash somehow but even then, doesn't Platinum Games own the IP? Wouldn't he be another 3rd party candidate?

Last edited:
If anything I'd say Wonder Red is like the .0000001% one here. I'm sure Sakurai can make his whole Unite Morph gimmick work in Smash somehow but even then, doesn't Platinum Games own the IP? Wouldn't he be another 3rd party candidate?

I think he's second party
the way Pokemon is.

W101 is owned by nintendo iirc
so second party is a good estimate